Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think it's commonly agreed that the weakspot on the butt is so that Silver can attack this boss, since he fights it too and can't attack in the manner Sonic or Shadow do. Except they use the same boss for all three characters and oops turns out Sonic has an ability that can allow him to hop up and attack the butt too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BioEnchanted posted:

I guess I can see what they were going for - Shadow's entire thing is "It doesn't matter what others want you to do, your destiny is in your hands, no one elses."

There is a reason his main theme in the game is called "I am All of Me" - he isn't a soldier, or a science experiment, or a weapon. All he really is as far as he cares, is the late Maria's sort-of-brother (Maybe Half-Uncle? The creation of her grandfather anyway), everything else can go to hell. The military want him dead, Black Doom wants to control him, Sonic just wants to hang out, but none of that matters - all that matters is what Shadow chooses to do, and which literal path he takes in his life. Does he get vindictive and petty and go with Black Doom to get his revenge? That's an option he can take. Does he try to atone for the sins of Sonic Adventure 2? That's also something he can do, but it all comes down to what Shadow wants to do, no one else. He was made to be controlled, but he has taken control of his life back.

There was also the whole theme of being an amnesiac chasing after the shadows of his past to find answers for his life in the present. Every time he goes down a different path, he finds a different aspect of his past and a subsequent different answer. It isn't until the True End he realizes none of his pasts really matter anymore, and the best thing he can do is just leave it all lie and forge his own future with the choices he has now. And the theme for that end is naturally Never Turn Back. Kinda like Planescape: Torment, only much more badly executed.

And small credit to the writers, his past is indeed never brought up again in the games made after Shadow. They just focus on whatever he's doing in that game now, even if it's just a quick cameo.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 23, 2018

• Locked thread