Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I like the fact you're doing a "new take" on this well-trodden game as opposed to the same crap we've seen for over a decade now about it. Good stuff! I've enjoyed the videos so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Just steal this video from the REAL Sonic fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0RfvnuVqg

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

I'm super into this LP because in an ideal world, I'd have done it myself. However, I don't have a PS3, nor a way to record it, nor am I doing much LPing anymore.

But ever since I saw the first "lol at this mess" people bumble their way through the stages, I had the burning desire to play this legend of badness for myself because I so adore rear end-games, and I always thought "come on man, this one is for sure on you". And yup, often, it is. Your analysis is spot-on, Sonic 06 is really loving bad, but someone, at some point, designed parts of some levels, and those parts almost work, and when they come through, it is actually fun. I personally consider most games like a puzzle presented by the designers - almost all games are designed to be winnable, and there is most of the time one or two "intended" ways, and I like finding those intended ways. Sometimes in this game, the intended ways plain don't work, but I imagine that every stage at least was played through by one person once at the very least, and this one time they said "okay, this works fine I guess, let's test the next, shipping is tomorrow", and I like finding this one path that does, indeed, work every time.

Sadly, my friend's PS3 where I was playing the game on died at some point and he never got it fixed (bought a PS4 instead), and I can't be arsed to buy a used one myself JUST to play this garbage fire which I somehow adore a little too unironically, but I got a good ways in and yes, YES it's fun to play sometimes, God drat it, and more often than people might think. I'd not S-Rank it once I eventually maybe get a computer that can run a PS3 emulator, but I might consider finding all the silver medals.

Individual video comments!
- ONE: The stage has obviously been worked on the most because it's the first and it shows the potential quite well. Some semi-hidden optional and faster side paths, secrets and rewards tucked away, it's worth replaying and exploring. However! I personally think the Tails sections are super pointless because playing them "normally" is painfully tedious because his attack sucks dicks (in an unfun way!), and you should just skip the fighting anyway, so you might as well skip it all (as shown), so...you might as well not play them. Their "design" is there, but inconsequential.
Also, the mach speed section is maybe the most working one but it's still super super bad and will kill you at a moment's notice. When you veered off into these walls and slid off juuust right to continue running, I thought that you'd get hit every time. And you might as well have been, the physics are so so bad.
- EXT: I fully agree with your assessment of Shadow's combat. It's awkward and hilarious but to me, kicking things in the face with just one button until they die and zipping between weak mooks is simply satisfying on a very basic level. The gliding section is rear end, though. I never got around to Shadow's later levels so I cannot comment on Omega, he looks super unfun tbh.
- TWO: a weirdly fun level considering its super awful on paper gimmick. As your main movement abilities still work, you can largely ignore Elise's love bubble, and the level design allows you to just fly over everything as shown. I'm a sucker for homing to and fro with springs and boosts and poo poo, it's...good?
- THREE: Generally I think this game's soundtrack is hilariously awful, from the infuriatingly catchy for how disgustingly simple it is hook from His World to the absurd banjo notes for the results screen, but I genuinely enjoy the synthy poo poo the snowboard section pulls. Which is the only good thing I'll ever say about it, that final jump is the worst thing in the universe*. The small on-foot part for Sonic is nice if you don't lose your speed, it feels like a game. The Tails section, again, is completely broken by him being able to fly (how is this a surprise to the designers?) and again might as well not exist. I think one of the laser wall switches is completely broken or something, I tried playing it legit once and gave up at some point of not being able to progress no matter what unless I chose your path of just flying over everything.
The final section is baffling unless you realize that they obviously designed it for Shadow first (with driving around the big snowfields and up broad ramps), then hastily put some laser walls and grindrails some places to try and completely fail to guide Sonic along a path that leads a bit around the perimeter of the wide half-circle-ish thing the map forms. Obviously it is maybe well intentioned but one of the instances in this game where it's probably the biggest challenge to try and figure out what they were even going for; truly a remarkable puzzle posted by the designers, but in practice, it's far, far better to just skip the lot with one of the game's funner glitches (the ones that always work reliably and only in your advantage).

*that's not true, there's a lot of jumps in Sonic 06 that are of also quite galactic awfulness.

Same

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's cool seeing the game's stages out of context of the story. Sonic is just holding a human lady every so often without explanation.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
He got angry at the game and someone brought a 20 sided dice for some reason. The rest, as they say, is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Kurui Reiten posted:

This one's easy: They refuse to find a formula and stick to it. They're scared of kids getting bored, or getting into a rut. They just want to find that magic "thing" that will make the series perfect. Problem is, that means abandoning ideas that are doing well (Unleashed Day Stages, Colors, Generations), but not perfectly, and replacing them with whatever they come up with.

I've finally felt this frustration at the ripe old age of 70 with Sonic Forces. Another aspect I think is wild is that Sega seems to rush 100% of the Sonic games they commission. There's a lot of cut content and evidence of a rushed development in even Sonic Mania, a 2D beepy-boopy platformer.

• Locked thread