Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having late 1990s horror movie screaming at the screen level frustration from you leaving so many perfectly good guns behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm having late 1990s horror movie screaming at the screen level frustration from you leaving so many perfectly good guns behind.
Strelok’s modified AK-74 is better than anything else you will find at this point in the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Strelok’s modified AK-74 is better than anything else you will find at this point in the game.

Also Thorn's weighed down by ammo alone at this point and those guns aren't worth THAT much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Thorn's weighed down by ammo alone at this point and those guns aren't worth THAT much.

Thorn's also weighed down by forgetting that he's walking around with 15 Makarovs in his backpack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Don't a lot of anomalies just gravity-pulse things in random directions? It'd make sense to find artifacts flung all over the place in that case.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, at this point in the game if you're carrying any other primary weapon you can basically drop it in favour of that modified AK-74 - even if you're like me and you stick to semi-auto unless you're doing close-quarters room clearing or something. It's still a guaranteed full-condition AK-74 early on.

Guns (in the vanilla game at least) generally aren't worth carrying as vendor trash; their value-to-weight ratio is pretty poor. Can't remember if this is the case in SoC, but in later games at least, merchants won't even buy guns from you at all unless they're in quite good condition.

Artefacts are where it's at; that's where you probably get most of your money.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

chitoryu12 posted:

Thorn's also weighed down by forgetting that he's walking around with 15 Makarovs in his backpack.
My first run of SoC was unmodded and I tried to hoard EVERYTHING to sell or stash. It took a long time to fully shed that habit, so I'd keep having these points where I was just carrying too many makarovs and other misc. poo poo weapons, and would have to unload them wherever the hell I stood.

This resulted in small piles of lovely guns littered all over the zone that I would constantly trip over while sprinting back and forth.

Eventually developed a habit of throwing things onto random-rear end unimportant corpses so that the game would eventually clean them out.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It's fairly unnecessary in SoC anyway, you generally make enough cash as a matter of course throughout the game and good equipment is easy enough to come by eventually you end up with loads more money than you know what to do with.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Best reason to install a mod that lets you sell guns to random stalkers. But even if I didn't have the mod, I'd just find whatever random group of rookies didn't have the guns I was lugging around, and pelt them with guns - ostensibly, they'd clear out some threats on their own even while I'm away.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My gun hoarding is a holdover from playing Complete, wherein you can buy a Gauss Rifle and ammo pretty early on. Having extra cash will come in handy later, if only for the purposes of having armor buying options.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

My gun hoarding is a holdover from playing Complete, wherein you can buy a Gauss Rifle and ammo pretty early on. Having extra cash will come in handy later, if only for the purposes of having armor buying options.

Just to buy, not to wear.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
That modified AK calls itself a rapid-fire weapon, but it has an accuracy stat higher than anything you're going to see for a while.
Put it on semi-auto, chuck a scope on it, and you've got a gun that will have you headshotting everything for the rest of the game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

He said come in, don't stand there

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Shedding weight by throwing out vodka? That's just not how it's done!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
God this game was so buggy. Bullet proof trees are best trees.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Shooting a suppressed makarov at the armoured chest plate cannot be called the most effective way to kill a man. I'm not sure we can blame the tree here.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Depending on diffuculty, there's also the ghost bullet issue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Elephant's Foot's radiation later weakened enough for people to get up close to it, but yeah during the first days of the disaster they could only photograph it with a mirror (I think a guy who already had terminal radiation poisoning volunteered).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stalker is not beloved for being perfect, Stalker is beloved for how all the weirdness comes together to create a really interesting experience and for how well it conveys a sense of place.

Like, take the guns being inaccurate as hell. Half the seeming tankiness of the enemies is just how often you miss when you're firing on full auto, compared to most FPSes. But after awhile, it just feels right that you're all huddling around spraying clips at each other and praying. You also do get much more accurate rifles later, and it changes the whole feel of things a lot.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Night10194 posted:

Stalker is not beloved for being perfect, Stalker is beloved for how all the weirdness comes together to create a really interesting experience and for how well it conveys a sense of place.
Entire games exist because of that seed of "I want more STALKER why isn't there more STALKER I WILL MAKE MY OWN STALKER"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh hey, we got a quick glimpse of a new gun!

The Fort-12 is a native Ukrainian pistol that's really only found in Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan (plus some technically in Russia after they annexed Crimea). It shares a lot of similarities with other modern double-stack combat pistols, but it's chambered in the weaker 9x18mm Makarov round that's so common in the region. There are also models in the similar .380 ACP for civilian and security usage in these areas.

The officer's pistol that Thorn was paid to steal was a fictional Fort-15, which has a 15-round magazine instead of 12. We haven't really seen them yet, but basic Fort-12s are the next step up from Makarovs in the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Fun Fact: The makers of the Misery Mod for call of Pripyat wistfully wish they could implement durability damage just for swapping magazines.

Thaaaaat's realism!

Also, thanks for running through this. I bounced right off it like an idiot even after downloading whatever "fix" mod it was I did. It wasn't until quite a long while later I skipped straight to the last one and found it an interesting mix of "As bullshit as advertised" and "Holy poo poo, this is way more QoL than advertised!". So I wouldn't have seen what the vanilla Shadow of Chernobyl experience was either way.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 26, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's a big obvious horn on top of the main building in the military base. You can turn off the siren by shooting it.
I didn't even know there was a terminal in complete because I always just shot the thing to break it :v:

Also hot dang bandit with an upgraded AKM and a grenade launcher attachment. That dude's a special mission target who's kind of really annoying to find without the mission unless you just happen upon him like this (unlike the fort 15 guy who is always at the cordon bridge.)

Snitch is overall a waste of money. Nothing he tells you is that important, he mostly fills in gaps in the story.

One of the weirdest quirks of the game is how enemies respawn. They don't just pop back up where they were, they actually spawn like, 1-2 zones away and then walk back to their designated spot. Which is why that line of dogs was there. Bandits, stalkers, all sorts of enemies/npc's do this.
Which gets really weird when they're all in one group.

The way to get the artifact in the corner that Thorn leeroy'd through an anomaly for (without doing that) is to knock it around with bolts/bullets. Artifacts are physical objects and thus affected by the physics engine. Then when it's near the left wall (that has the hole the hopper goes through) you crouch near the hopper exit and use your special pick-up powers to reach around/through the tiny gap to snag it. It's very fiddly but it's not like makarov bullets are better used elsewhere!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 26, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Just popping in to say I know we're wrong about everything so far, especially Highwang since that seems to be what he's known for, but I appreciate all the banter and having an active thread. For whichever reason it happens. :v: Enjoy the frustration for the 10 more parts, since the whole LP has long been recorded.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Picking a giant fight four inches from the zone line feels very STALKER to do.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Npcs moving around is part of their advertised A-life system. They are supposed to move around and do stuff according to their goals. Normal stalkers scavenge for artifacts, bandits attack them, and military are dicks to both. It's why everyone has a unique name and listed faction. Kind of like everything else it's a neat concept, busted on release, and somewhat fixed with mods.

Made npcs end up with just weird weapon combinations since they would usually scavenge your handiwork.

Also, something neat is the game uses licensed Russian music in spots. The first one is the bar's radio theme: Addaraya - Gurza Dreaming
https://youtu.be/UqgAtnS0_bc

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Huh... I don't remember ever encountering bullet-proof bushes in any of the STALKER games - and I've played them a whole lot. It's certainly a thing that it seems much easier for enemies to see you through foliage than it is for you to see them, though.

I was playing this game for years before I learned that you could just shoot the siren. Never heard of any terminal to control it, though.

I don't think I've ever had the "sales representative" instantly die when entering the Bar area like that. STALKER is a semi-open-world-game though, and random stuff happens sometimes. Emergent gameplay, etc.

The meter you get when holding secondary fire with a grenade indicates how hard you'll throw it, as you thought. You can do it when throwing bolts too... if you really want to.

And yeah, I was hinting at this earlier when I said I mostly stick to semi-auto in STALKER... but you usually don't want to be spraying bullets around full-auto in these games. Especially with something like that unique rapid AK-74, drat. That was a lot of wasted ammo.

ThornBrain posted:

Just popping in to say I know we're wrong about everything so far, especially Highwang since that seems to be what he's known for, but I appreciate all the banter and having an active thread. For whichever reason it happens. :v: Enjoy the frustration for the 10 more parts, since the whole LP has long been recorded.

I saw that mentioned earlier and am resigned to not being able to "help" with suggestions and recommendations. That said you're probably better off not having people like me expecting to be able to "help" in that way.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ThornBrain posted:

Just popping in to say I know we're wrong about everything so far, especially Highwang since that seems to be what he's known for, ... Enjoy the frustration for the 10 more parts, since the whole LP has long been recorded.

I don't understand how Highwang is always so wrong. It's becoming statistically improbable. Still amusing though.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wow. I must have been lucky, comparatively speaking- I don't remember any of my shots not hitting because of damned leaves.

Not that I didn't have my share of bullshit moments, both for and against me. Maybe that's part of why I like this game: for all of the times I was killed by misjudging distances, putting a foot wrong, or being murdered by scads of enemies, there were a lot of times I walked away from things that genuinely should have killed me. Well, that and the atmosphere and sense of place as has been mentioned.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A little detour into a bloodsucker hunt.

Highwang was busy, so it's one of a few parts with just me and Jacob.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Personally, I drop most of my stuff, run through the entire village baiting the bloodsuckers, then go into the water tower and grenade the gently caress out of them as they run in circles and snarl at me. But I'm cheap like that.

The water tower kill was probably in Dark City.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Last time I played Complete, not only could you shove miscellaneous explosive barrels and canisters into your pants, you could drop them next to assassination targets and blow them up with everyone staring at you but not going hostile.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I did a "darkside" run of the story once by killing every major npc I could. Essentially all the named npcs you talk to will drop a pda or thumb drive of the necessary information, so most story beats are exactly the same. It can be a major pain since you'll still need to track down their body. There's one major change and it affects a story item you get, but I'm not sure if it makes it weaker or not. I recall that it didn't feel like it was any different.

Funny thing is Wolf, one of first story npcs, was in that camp where you had to kill Smartass. It's why he had no money and two artifacts, he still had the same inventory from when Thorn met him.

Also want to mention something about the Bloodsuckers. In your pda you can read writeups for the various anomalies and mutants you find. It tell you that Bloodsuckers are unique in that the front of their skulls are armored which makes them very hard to kill from the front. You can make use of that info if you have a long range rifle, but like everyone else I also ran around with a shotgun. I'm sure Thorn realized this later, but the Dart ammo he was using sucks. For some reason, using Darts or Slugs in the shotguns greatly reduce their damage in a trade for accuracy and range. So you always want to use buckshot to kill something quick.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
On carry weight; one of the rare things that the Misery mod does that actually makes things easier on you is to make the hard encumbrance limit really really high. The soft limit is still pretty low, but it means that you can drag like a hundred kilos of looted guns back to base with you, if you want. It's just that even while just walking/jogging, your stamina will be draining, so you have to stop to take multiple breathers on the way. (And hope you don't get jumped out in the open somewhere.)

You mentioned shotguns being better on the bloodsuckers. That's kind of a thing in the STALKER games; shotguns are good on mutants, and rifles are good on humans. And pistols aren't good on anything. Just throw them away because they're literal rubbish.

I'd specify that that's shotguns loaded with buckshot, though. In the video you were using dart slugs for a while there on the bloodsuckers, which is why they were taking so long to go down. Dart slugs can be okay on humans, but usually you'd want to just use rifles if you can help it. (Fake edit: ninja'd.)

Also it's funny that you should mention both cars being everywhere but none of them being drivable and fuel drums that you can pick up in the same video; both of those things are cut content, I believe. Vehicles you can drive, and fuel drums to refuel them with. Some mods restore these things, but the vehicles in particular usually don't work very well at all. I think it was in Lost Alpha especially where vehicles felt like they had giant beach balls stuck underneath them; they'd roll at the slightest provocation.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

PBnJamo posted:

Funny thing is Wolf, one of first story npcs, was in that camp where you had to kill Smartass. It's why he had no money and two artifacts, he still had the same inventory from when Thorn met him.
Slightly less funny, Wolf isn't just roasting in the fire like he tends to do in the unmodded game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Fish Noise posted:

Last time I played Complete, not only could you shove miscellaneous explosive barrels and canisters into your pants, you could drop them next to assassination targets and blow them up with everyone staring at you but not going hostile.

I tried that with a target in the Duty base, and it aggro'd everyone. They did just watch me drop and strategically place the barrels at least.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Another weird STALKER thing: Buckshot is way more damaging than either slug's or darts because the game tracks damage on all of the buckshot you shoot. As in, you're shooting 6-12 bullets per shot of buckshot. Compared to the single shot of a slug or dart.
Also, all of those buckshot bullets can get the headshot bonus damage.

The Berill armored suit is a better combat suit than a stalker suit, but the stalker suit is better at anomalies. There's in general, 3 types of armor in the game: Suits that are good against anomalies, suits that are good against damage, and suits that are inbetween those.
The Stalker suit is an all-around type and pretty much the mid-game armor.

Impact damage is kind of rare. The main deadly sources of it are: Springboard/Whirlygig/Vortex anomalies (the one's that pulse, bounce, or suck you into a whirlwind and tend to kill you anyway no matter how much impact resist you have,) fall damage, and having things thrown at you. Every other source of it also has rupture damage attacks which they tend to use more.

There's always about 4-5 Bloodsuckers in that little abandoned town area, even in complete. 2 around the silo, 3 scattered among the houses in the village.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

The water tower kill was probably in Dark City.

That's what came to mind for me as well, Though I don't know if it ever rated as popular?

It does have the best death any hard boiled noir detective can hope for, though :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pistols are truly useless. I picked up a SIG Sauer or one of those other .45 cal pistols and they are not even great against lower level mutants. But I put one in my pistol slot anyway because they don't weigh that much and at least if something goes wrong I can quickly switch over to that pistol if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I will say that I've occasionally got some use out of machine pistols (of which there are none in vanilla STALKER; I mean select-fire pistols rather than full-size SMGs). Only when I was carrying too much other stuff to be able to carry a shotgun plus ammo around, though. It's still usually a poor alternative to a shotgun in STALKER.

• Locked thread