Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
You did an excellent job with this hybrid LP. You've sold at least a few copies of HBS Battletech and gotten a few people into MEKHQ. Thank you for showing these off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Well, it was a nice ride while it lasted.

Top marks for showing off how brutal things can be though. No OP fiat here.

Hmm... that's inspired me to consider doing an LP of my own. Now, where's that sandbox thread...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've already backed HBS BT but I've basically kept myself clean of playing any of it so as not to burn myself out on hype before release, but this thread definitely taught me how to actually play mekhq (and then how to play it "right," using the official AtB rules) so Phros done did good

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Thanks for everything! This is the first LP I've ever watched, much less followed or contributed too. That and I finally got to see someone else fight my AI and use the unlocked units in action. Finding HBS BT players who are both good and watchable is a hot commodity and I hope you get time to come back to this after launch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amechwarrior posted:

Thanks for everything! This is the first LP I've ever watched, much less followed or contributed too. That and I finally got to see someone else fight my AI and use the unlocked units in action. Finding HBS BT players who are both good and watchable is a hot commodity and I hope you get time to come back to this after launch.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your ai hack, if you don't mind explaining?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Phros, it's been a great ride, and you've inspired more people to try out MekHQ than I ever thought possible. While I don't think I was the best, I had great fun joining in on this, and I hope to do something with you again soon. Have fun when Battletech drops in three weeks - I know I will! :)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I'd be interested in knowing more about your ai hack, if you don't mind explaining?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-tweaking-v2-still-building-a-better-mouse-trap.1075322/

and the original if you want to see my stream of posts dealing with learning the beta sensor lock variable was rear end. I'm glad to see the streamers build has the AI using it well enough.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9768

TL;DR -
The devs graciously put the AI's variables in plaintext .JSON files for us to muck around with. For example:

{
/* How much accuracy (0.0 - 1.0) is required to consider
an attack that will overheat */
"k" : "Float_AccuracyNeededForOverheatAttack",
"v" : {
"type" : "Float",
"floatVal" : 0.75,
}

This variable tells the AI what To-Hit % is low enough to be acceptable to overheat for. Lower the floatVal to 0.50 (never forget that leading 0) and it will take overheating alpha strikes for 50% To-Hit odds, change it to 0.9 (90%) and it will basically never happen. The AI is calculating all of those variables and many other considerations at ludicrous speed and eventually settles on the best choice, for example I had a log with a Stalker. It calculated something like 600+ different combos of weapons fire in less than 2/10ths of a second, checking each against that overheat rule and all the others in play.

It's really easy to mod the AI, it's harder to balance it across all tiers of play and mech loadouts. For example, what works perfectly in a 25m match with one light Sensor Lock, two mediums and a Assault won't be great when that same AI is given 4 Locusts. I had to find a nice medium that would play better than stock, but still work across the entire spectrum of mechs, pilots, terrain and everything else. That 2nd link is full of players saying "Hey, it breaks if I do X" and then me trying to fix it without ruining why I set that behavior in the first place.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've always had great respect for ai writers. If they know what they're doing, they can make something that is loving smart and fast.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yeah it’s was an awesome ride and drew my attention to the game for sure. Thanks for all the work

:same:

This thread had me preordering the game.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I'm still tickled by the appearance of the Shadow Hawk revenge squad. Looking forward to the second act after release.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Thank you so much for running this thread! Am looking forwards to getting the game when it comes out and playing it a ton!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was an original backer but when the beta was around I was too busy with school and moving across the country so I didn't get a chance to play it and get an idea of how everything works. That and I never played the tabletop so I wasn't understanding the rules too much in the first place. However I really appreciated this because I actually got to learn a bit of how the game will work so I'm pretty excited for what will come in at the end of the month :)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bravo dude! Thanks for all the awesomeness. As a fellow mercenary cat wrangler I feel your pain. I can't wait to try the new game when it's out and use my own fictional band of MEKHQ people.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the thread! It was a lot of fun to read and watch the (mis)adventures of these mercs! I guess technically this means they aren't completely hosed, just trapped in eternal limbo. Score!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for running this, it was great while it lasted!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lofi posted:

Thanks for running this, it was great while it lasted!

More like they gave in the ghost and became ComGuards.

See you at Tukayyid, Figment.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Was great while it lasted. Thanks for the thread.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
F1rst Try Will Return In...

OCTOSHITHAWKY

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Thanks you very much for the LP! It was good to have some HYPE for this -- and this got some of my friends hyped about Battletech at all, too.

I'll join the folks in saying I sure as hell don't mind a wall of text. I hope to know and find out what happened with our stupid rear end plan.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Do we have a MekHQ thread in the forums anywhere? I've been running into two odd issues and get the feeling it's a minor fix.

-Contracts have no base amount no matter my merc size/value making everything a loss to try
-Most missions aren't deploying my opponent. At best, I deploy all my guys and can auto-win

Kinda leaves me with building mech designs, which is still fun. But would like to merc around with them!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Was fun reading this thread, looking forward if and when it gets revived.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Sad to see it end so soon, but that's how life goes. Thanks, Phrosphor, for a hell of a lot of work and exposing a bunch of new people to cool stuff.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Do we have a MekHQ thread in the forums anywhere? I've been running into two odd issues and get the feeling it's a minor fix.

There isn't a dedicated MekHQ one - just the general Battletech thread in TradGames.

If you're getting issues, though, you should report them officially. You'll get better support that way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The BT thread proper is in Archives so I think we might need a new one, or we can keep using PTN's LP thread and the HBS BT thread as de facto BT chat threads

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was strongly considering trying to run the megamek-based game I mentioned earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, I've run into an unresolveable issue - I can't host Megamek servers with this ISP.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I was strongly considering trying to run the megamek-based game I mentioned earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, I've run into an unresolveable issue - I can't host Megamek servers with this ISP.

You don't need to host a server to host a single game, you just need the port open. So if you can get everyone together at one time to do the match you should still be good, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shoeless posted:

You don't need to host a server to host a single game, you just need the port open. So if you can get everyone together at one time to do the match you should still be good, unless I'm misunderstanding.

I can connect to other people, but I have a great deal of trouble allowing other people to connect to me. I can't configure port forwarding on my modem.

Maybe I'll just ressurect my old SFB LP instead.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Getting roped into an abusive and misleading contract before going bankrupt and getting half the company killed on their first campaign is a pretty authentic small-outfit experience, tbh.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 5, 2018

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
This was a fun LP, and although I had already backed the battletech game a long while ago it did get me into playing MekHQ.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

-Contracts have no base amount no matter my merc size/value making everything a loss to try
-Most missions aren't deploying my opponent. At best, I deploy all my guys and can auto-win

Kinda leaves me with building mech designs, which is still fun. But would like to merc around with them!

I had the second one in a contract, I ended out just deleting it via the GM and generating more which seemed to fix the issue. With the base pay all I can think is in the campaigns options you can select what is used to calculate base contract pay and there are checkboxes you might have accidentally unticked.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for this LP. Been super hyped about Battletech and I just binged through the thing in one morning. Shame it got cut short, but you clearly put a lot of work into it. Thank you so much!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This was a great LP! Very much enjoyed it. The most likely outcome given the setting is to be disappeared by ROM anyway, so that's my headcannon until First Try returns.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed the LP - sad to see it go before my terrible character can help with the rescue.
On the plus side, Battletech releases later this month, so I can experience more than the skirmish game when that happens.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for running the thread, it was fun while it lasted. I finally caught up to the end of a LP thread before it got locked! Super hyped for Battletech because of this, have not been watching the official media because I like to go in without preconceptions on story; but this was perfect.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think that the game keys (for fokls who preordered it) come out on the 22nd/23rd right?

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
That is a safe presumption.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.sarna.net/news/more-news-on-harmony-gold-vs-battletech/

"Before I end this update, I have a special request. It looks like Harmony Gold may finally get what’s coming to them, and on that day we’re going to need some appropriately smarmy art commemorating the occasion. If you or someone you know might be artistically inclined and can produce an image of Harmony Gold getting either crushed, blasted, or otherwise destroyed by a BattleMech–any ‘Mech, even one of the Unseen–then please send it on over so we can showcase it on what will hopefully be the best news update Sarna has ever posted. "

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You should pass that request on to Xarbala. I'd love to see a NuMarauder stomping on some suspicious-yet-not-quite-recognizable Wasp remains.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

watashi ga..... kita

Guess I'll whip something up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
In honor of HG's overreach on HBS's art, I shall recommend to the midnight society an Atlas exploding the torso of an Armored Valkyrie. Not just to send a perfectly smug message about there being no comparison, but also because the A-Valk's art is closest to a notable walking ammo stockpile called the Crusader. :itisamechjoke:

• Locked thread