Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gotten a hang of running megamek more or less. And I have a neat idea for a campaign. But I think I may need some experience with setting up actual maps before I attempt anything requiring group input. Not to mention matches can take a bit unless stuff is done in Battle tech proper when that comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the great LP, sorry you can't keep going with it.

Mind updating the OP before you lock the thread? The last update isn't posted there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
And another copy sold, thanks to razer discount things and the promise of a preorder shadowhawk skin to enhance what are apparently the most hardcore mechs in the game. £20's a good price.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Feels like being a backer was pretty cheap.

Funny thing is, at no point during the year since I pledged my money have I been really worried about when it'll be out and if it'll be good.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Since this seems to be the MekHQ thread, does anyone have insight on how the mass repair/salvage option works? I can't seem to get it to do anything useful. Running MinBTH/MaxBTH of 1/12, 12/1, 12/12, 1/1, 4/4, any combination doesn't seem to actually get my techs to do anything.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
This was a great little experiment. Thanks for that Phrosphor. I do hope someone eventually runs a let's play of the new battletech game after it's release. Not having to use mekhq might make things easier on the let's player. Although mekhq also seems, from what I've seen on paradox footage, to be more in depth than the game's campaign.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Don't be surprised if we see a mod down the line that just straight up integrates Mekhq into the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why? The game itself pretty much does most of this stuff, if not to the same level of detail.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It has similar stuff, but you just know there are people out there who are going to think that stuff isn't hardcore enough.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
repairing/salvaging mechs in mekhq is all i ever wanted in a game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pladdicus posted:

repairing/salvaging mekhq is all i ever wanted in a game.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Back Hack posted:

It has similar stuff, but you just know there are people out there who are going to think that stuff isn't hardcore enough.

Nothing geekier than a tabletop geek!

Though... didn't they say they weren't going to make BattleTech as modifiable as Shadowrun Returns because of how much extra work it is?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, there will be no official modding support for Battletech. However, the vast majority of the game's guts are in plain-text .json files which can be edited. That is how Amechwarrior was tweaking the Beta's AI and how Phros was making custom mechs and stuff.

So they've left the door to the tool shed open, but said its your fault if you break stuff or poke an eye out or something.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They don’t have to add any mod support, largely because the Unity engine has bake in tools right out of the box that’s publicly available. Anything they can’t mod by editing the game’s files, they’ll be able to jury rig their own mod tools modified from the engines tools and then do whatever.

Not that they couldn’t just make their own tools either, Unity is almost entirely C++.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hopefully someone'll just put together a launcher that imports from and exports to mekhq, something like that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I keep trying to come up with something that MekHQ would actually add to this game, to explain why people keep suggesting that. Literally the only thing I can come up with is a bigger map so you can go play in Lyran or Combine space.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Higher difficulty curve through a much more complex logistical management comes to mind. That is what MekHQ is mostly about, handling logistical problems.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

Higher difficulty curve through a much more complex logistical management comes to mind. That is what MekHQ is mostly about, handling logistical problems.

having to buy and stock armor and ammo isn't exactly my idea of a good time, I wanna tinker with mechs!!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Complexity is often confused with difficulty, but they're entirely different things. If I still have to spend the time and CBills for the repairs, it doesn't actually add difficulty to go in and specifically replace the lower arm actuator.

I mean, knock yourselves out if that's what you want to do. I'm just not sure anyone is going to go to the trouble, assuming it's even possible.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Be the mod you wanna see in the world. I know shitall about modding mostly, but the Jason stuff sound so simple that I'm gonna do my best to see if I can figure out the campaign editing to do that sandbox idea I had for a second play through.

Q_res posted:

Literally the only thing I can come up with is a bigger map so you can go play in Lyran or Combine space.

We already know the map file will be editable, I kinda hope some crazy tries expanding the map.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Be the mod you wanna see in the world. I know shitall about modding mostly, but the Jason stuff sound so simple that I'm gonna do my best to see if I can figure out the campaign editing to do that sandbox idea I had for a second play through.

We already know the map file will be editable, I kinda hope some crazy tries expanding the map.

Give it 6 months, someone will have modded in one that not only contains the entire Inner Sphere, but reflects the canon changes to it over time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Q_res posted:

Complexity is often confused with difficulty, but they're entirely different things. If I still have to spend the time and CBills for the repairs, it doesn't actually add difficulty to go in and specifically replace the lower arm actuator.

I mean, knock yourselves out if that's what you want to do. I'm just not sure anyone is going to go to the trouble, assuming it's even possible.

You actually don't need to pay for armour for repairs at all which I do think is a slightly weird call even though I understand the logic behind it.

I do agree though, with a few minor exceptions most of the streamlining they have applied to the game doesn't actually make it any less meaningfully complex, it just reduces tedium / stuff you have to remember.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I feel the only things missing that mekhq gives you is the custom pilots and chains of missions for long term contracts but both of those seem like something that could easily be added later in a patch or expansion. As has been pointed out before, the game is very moddable. I figure the hassle of tweaking mekhq vs the hassle of modding hbs battletech is probably about even. I mostly just want to mod in a custom merc logo and maybe change names and/or pilot portraits.

RabidWeasel posted:

You actually don't need to pay for armour for repairs at all which I do think is a slightly weird call even though I understand the logic behind it.

I do agree though, with a few minor exceptions most of the streamlining they have applied to the game doesn't actually make it any less meaningfully complex, it just reduces tedium / stuff you have to remember.

Not having to pay for armor repairs and other little things like that that has been seen on the streams bother me a little but I honestly don't have any real gripes. The early game seems a little too forgiving maybe but then I already know how to play Battletech so I can understand why throwing a new player into the Battletech deep end would be a bad idea.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
What you guys are saying is that the game needs a hardcore mode where fixing armour and replacing ammo costs money and salvage parts are specific mech parts that you have to glue back together rather than 'you killed a commando three times here's your own metal babby' or whatever.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Pretty much.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Honestly, that stuff isn’t for everyone and that perfectly fine. Me personally, I like dealing with off the battlefield kind of bullshit, anything that can explode out of control into a death spiral is fun to me, because it take me out of my comfort zone and forces me to make some tough choices and sacrifices.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whoops, I said I was going to draw something, then I got immediately distracted by pranking on Galaga Galaxian

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do Clans hire mercenaries or do mercenary work besides the Wolf's Dragoons?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do Clans hire mercenaries or do mercenary work besides the Wolf's Dragoons?

Aside from individual bondsmen finding their way in mercenary units, or wandering off to solaris and back, I don't believe so. The goons were a bit of a special case. I don't even recall ever hearing of the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes ever lowering themselves to hiring mercs, and they're the Clan that actually appreciates money.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mercenaries are Dezgra, Spheroid

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Mercenaries are Dezgra, Spheroid

Or this, yes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-golds-case-against-harebrained-schemes-dismissed/

Harmony Gold's weak case against Harebrained Schemes is dismissed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Worth noting is that the case against PGI is still ongoing, so don't expect to see the Formerly Macross Unseen in HBS' game (outside mods) until that part of the case is resolved.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xarbala posted:

Aside from individual bondsmen finding their way in mercenary units, or wandering off to solaris and back, I don't believe so. The goons were a bit of a special case. I don't even recall ever hearing of the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes ever lowering themselves to hiring mercs, and they're the Clan that actually appreciates money.

The Dragoons weren't even real mercenaries or something, right? Weren't they just Clan Wolf agents sent ahead to mess up the other Clans' invasion plan?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think many of the Clans were gungho on invading right now in 3000 or something and other Clans said they don't want to, so they sent a recon group (Dragoons) to look at the Inner Sphere infrastructure and report back to Clan space. They took their time on their reports and tried to stretch them out as much as they could. Decades later, something happened, maybe a House JumpShip invaded their space, so the invader Clans said that it was time to invade.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Specifically a Comstar deep exploration jumpship stumbled upon the Clan Homeworlds and was captured by Clan Smoke Jaguar, who from them learned not only that the Inner Sphere was on the road to recover, but that the Davions and Setiners had joined forces to form the Federated Commonwealth, which could potentially have conquered the entire Inner Sphere and declared themselves the Star League Reborn. The idea of someone other than the Clans reforming their beloved Star league was so toxic to Clan belief that they pretty much all voted to invade, save for Clan Wolf. Because of course the Designated Protagonist Clan would.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, it was mostly just creating a huge case of alarmism that this new Star League Reborn was also imminently poised to invade Clanspace, even aside from the outrage over one of the Houses forming some "debased" version, that really provoked it. If it was just outrage over the latter it probably wouldn't have been an effectively clean sweep in the votes, given the Warden Clans generally just wanted to remain isolated from the IS.

And yeah, the Dragoons were nominally just a Clan unit sent ahead of time to gather information before a potential invasion, created as a compromise by the Wardens in order to stave off an invasion around the year 3000. They were just operating under separate orders from Wolf leadership to subtly prepare the IS for a potential invasion as well, and ultimately went dark 15 years later.

The real irony about Outbound Light, and the ComStar Explorer Corps in general, is that they were out there specifically looking for threats that could challenge ComStar's supremacy, rather than any attempt at benefiting humanity. Well they found one, and it sure worked out great for them.

That it was Dismissed With Prejudice is honestly great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The core motivation of the Clans is the fact that despite being horrible oppressive brutal murderous barbarians, they consider themselves the height of culture and refinement.

This means they want to kill everyone who doesn't act just like them, and get driven into rages by stupid things.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

wiegieman posted:

The core motivation of the Clans is the fact that despite being horrible oppressive brutal murderous barbarians, they consider themselves the height of culture and refinement.

The ways of the Clans cover litterally every aspect of the life both of the single person and the society as a whole: politics, economy, spirituality... In fact Nicholas Kerensky created what could be qualified as the uber exemple of totalitarian ideology; similar to all ideologies, is a crucible of contraddictions and kafkian absurdities, an artificial hell on Earth that pretends to be a paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
And . . . . caught up!

And . . . looks like I'm too late, again!

Thread was great while it lasted, hopefully 'Fr1st Try' will return eventually, although frankly, I think most of us will be too busy playing the game come 24th.

This LP definitely has me hyped for release, its been, what, two years since I got my Backerkit Jacket? (Lyrans Forever!!)

Been watching all the pre-release streams recently, and indications are that HBS put together something special; the fact that they let their product out into the wild for streamers to play, unsupervised, with the only condition that they not proceed beyond a certain mission, suggests this game might be everything we want it to be.

On a personal note, as someone who has read the Mercenary Manual and its Supplementals cover to cover, multiple times, its wonderful to see my 'mental cinematography' made real; yes, we all know that the merc contract cycle is take a mission, fly to the jumpship, jump, fly to the planet, fight, rinse and repeat.

It actually see it on the screen, with an actual simulation layer on top that you can control, plus all the mech maintenance, repair, and overhaul rules implemented (and not just formulas and tables in the manual), is jaw-dropping.

Yes, I'm excited. Yes, I can't wait to finally play the game we all visualized in our heads the first time we bent over those TT counters and mapsheets.

Added my name to the pilot roster, should this thread resurrect.

See you folks around the Aurigan Reach; maybe we can setup multiplayer matches with folks from these forums?

Hope George Ledoux does some VO for the Solaris portions.

• Locked thread