Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks for reminding me to note my A-number somewhere in my home, in my wife's phone, and her laptop, in case ice decides to throw me in mystery prison while my green card process is pending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Spiffster posted:

Don’t have an I-797 to back your application status?

Am i supposed to carry that poo poo around on me daily? Fine I guess. Seems like a tall order to ask ice agents to count 180 days past the date the form was received vs throwing me in a detention facility

augias
Apr 7, 2009

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

While current immigration policies definitely need modernization for the 21st century, I think that the people who flip their poo poo at the idea of having any kind of border control at all are absolutely insane. Literally every country in South America has extremely strict border policies and treats illegal immigrants far, far worse.

I'd be happy with changing immigration policies to be more simple and similar to a lot of other first world countries (namely, mostly only let in refugees and people who are economically useful in some fashion beyond simple day labor), along with making E-Verify mandatory for any business larger than, say, 10 employees.

Can you cite any cases of a south american country that systematically abuses immigrant rights please. Im south american and my experience is biased towards "we aren't nazis like the gringos" but am willing to learn more since you apparently know something I didn't.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

I meant Central and South America, but was actually thinking "Mexico". For that, at least, I do have some stuff.

This article is from 2006 but (for whatever that's worth) is cited on Wikipedia. There's also this article from 2016 that shows that things really havn't changed much in ten years.

Thanks and please be careful not to equivocate the south american experience with a single country. We do quite hate that.

I'm reading right now. First thoughts are that immigrants in mexico are facing horrible treatment because Mexican police are notoriously corrupt and lawless. I see a nuanced difference with the U.S. where police are lawfully evil; supported by racist departmental, state, and federal policy. Same same, but different.

When my U.S. partner was in my home country illegally (ten day gap in her employment based visa) she had to pay a 40 dollar fine to a bureaucrat and got permanent residence anyways. Never had to fear police raids or random public transportation stops (which i am currently in fear of despite being here extremely legally.)

augias fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 7, 2018

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I did give the "strong borders" statement the benefit of the doubt because several countries in Latin America have very stringent standards for organic matter entering the country and harming nature! I had to throw away a package of cumin seeds at the airport and they were for my mom!

But yeah people moving from one country to another? So easy.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

It depends the country and what you're trying to do. You can get to Chile from a lot of places in Latin America with an ID card and no passport. But if you're coming to settle or work it's a different story (try coming from Peru or Colombia).

Yep, chileans are doggedly racist to their colombian and peruvian brethren. Chilean gov also doesn't have an ICE equivalent hunting and deporting people because of petty bureaucratic irregularities, to my knowledge. Again, am willing to learn if this is not the case.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Analogies are like buttholes.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Just a quick update that it is getting worse for immigrants who are here under completely normal, documented, situations like mine. My anxiety over this interview is shooting thru the roof at this dot-every-i poo poo.

Two new memos from the neginning of this month.

New USCIS Policy Will Needlessly Push Thousands More Cases into the Deportation Machinery

A quiet change in US policy threatens immigrants who apply for a change in status

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Katt posted:

Her family suspects that she might be straight up lying in an attempt to not have to register with the Swedish social office for welfare benefits because the social office might make her do stuff.

This scandinavian person has been ameripoisoned. There is no hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I work in immigration and while it's been getting worse forever the last couple years (and this year in particular) have been an amazing garbage fire. The system was not designed for any modern application of business, and it sort of groans and limps along on the basis of a kind of gentleman's understanding on how stuff is supposed to work. That has been eroding and the current administration is using every option to gleefully tear it up, so we're regularly thrown into panic and disarray. There have been numerous changes jammed or overturned in courts, meaning that people may not have a day-to-day understanding of what is going on, even if they have been operating completely within the law.

As above, immigration lies at an intersection of a LOT of different groups and perspectives, which as effectively prevented anyone from opening it up and doing the kind of real renovation that is required even when one party holds enough of the government to theoretically do so. Instead we get flailing, piecemeal action that attacks or corrects single points that a lobby has managed to leverage hard enough without solving any of the real problems or any real reform of the system itself.

Main Paineframe is right, the main reason undocumented work is popular is because it provides leverage to companies to avoid their crimes. This actually applies beyond illegal immigration though; many professional workers are comparatively over the barrel with their employers because their presence in the US relies on their sponsor. Even if you're an educated white-collar worker, are you going to push back on working late, maybe not recording overtime? Are you going to refuse to come in for projects, or deal with scut work? If your wage doesn't rise year over year, you are far more restricted than a US worker. And when you get down to the guest worker program, the abuses between the documented and undocumented workers are pretty similar - and it's permitted essentially because enforcement is so bad and if any of them complain, they can be gone before the DOL gets around to hearing anything.

Honestly the whole thing is a giant mess, I have no idea how to fix it short of disbanding ICE/CBP/starting over, and I'm pretty much trying to figure out how to leave the industry because I can't cope with how screwed up it has gotten.

Hurry the gently caress up with my i-751 pendejo