Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

sexpig by night posted:

So can we say 'concentration' camps in here or are we still required to pretend 'internment camp' is an actual legal different term and not literally just a synonym for concentration camp.

Have at it, as far as I'm concerned. Everyone can call them whatever they want, I don't care. Just don't get into ridiculously pedantic arguments about how to label them; I've got no patience for that, and frankly, neither should any of you! There's way more important poo poo to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bishyaler posted:

Great, then I look forward to the immediate influx of Dem Party cheerleaders eager to defend Biden slapping a rainbow sticker on Trump's white supremacy camps like they did in the USPOL thread. But we both know that won't happen. Out of sight out of mind, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

USPOL isn't going to exist anymore in a few days' time, and none of its successor threads are going to be "Biden/Dem cheerleading" zones. If people want to make a pro-Joe fanclub thread, they can take it to another sub. DnD is about discussing issues, not politics as a team sport.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Yes the people you imagined to exist in the other thread are also possible for you to imagine to exist here.

I can tell how much people truly care about immigrants being tortured because of this page of trying to own posting enemies. That's the real fight right there.

Not helpful, my dude.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LGD posted:

The credibility of this statement seems somewhat challenged by the numerous probations handed out on this page and in the US POL thread in relation to the decision of D&D mods to engage in active censorship of the term "concentration camp" in relation to things that they themselves concede are indeed concentration camps, explicitly because usage of the term is too provocative to people who have taken it upon themselves to defend the operation of concentration camps by the Biden administration (and who in several cases can be shown to have had zero qualms about using the term to refer to the same camps, being operated by the same people, under the previous administration).

Hey, I get it. We (the mods/IKs) didn't handle the terminology issue regarding the internment/detainment/refugee/concentration camps terribly well in USPOL, and I'm sorry for that. What we wanted to do was avoid dumb meta-arguments, keep people from posting about posting and other posters, etc, and it turns out we kind of sparked the opposite instead. That's part of why I encouraged folks to move the discussion here: so we can have as clean a break from the previous discussion as possible. (and, again, so that the discussion will keep going when USPOL is dead and buried)

I understand why you don't fully trust me when I say that this thread isn't meant as a containment zone and the other USPOL successors aren't going to welcome "OMG this photo of the First Couple is SOOOO cute!"-type posts. That's a lot for me to promise, and who knows, maybe it won't turn out the way I want it to. All I'm asking is that you and others give this thread a shot over the next couple days. Post about immigration/border policy here, leave the meta-discussions at the door, and let USPOL die.

socialsecurity posted:

So are your saying that USPOL was a Biden cheerleading zone? Could you point out these team sport posts so we can know not post like that in the future?

No, we're not going to do that here. If you want me to be more specific you can PM me.

Insanite posted:

Is it okay for this thread to be about US immigration policy and not boring slapfights?

Please!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

Like, yeah, they caught a probe for it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen

Tbf I think that was meant as a joke - a tasteless one, perhaps, but I don't think it was meant as anything near a statement of fact.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

It sounds like you are posting in the wrong thread then, the title of this thread is "US Immigration Policy Megathread", so if you don't think that US Immigration Policy is meaningful reformable then that's fine, but it's not really conducive to a policy discussion. Some threads are for working within the system and some threads are for working outside of it, and this is one of the former

While I agree that this thread should focus on U.S. immigration policy, ways to reform or overhaul it, and methods for (legal) direct action to bring about necessary changes, I'd ask that you refrain from backseat modding like this, thanks.

freeasinbeer posted:

They aren’t concentration camps. Like they aren’t by any reasonable definition no matter how bad you want to own the libels, and framing it that way is unproductive and disingenuous. No one wants to engage with if the starting point is implicitly comparing it the Shoah.

Concentration camps existed long before the Shoah, and the term is not synonymous with death camps like Auschwitz. We (the mods/IKs) are going to allow people to call them that ITT, and we're not going to engage in semantic debates here.

quote:

In general the west doesn’t have a ton of spare housing capacity that can be used without tremendous turmoil because of capitalism and private property rights, so using such dire accelerationist language isn’t helping, and just making you sound like shrill lunatics?

The U.S. has plenty of empty hotels right now, and the Biden Administration is doing the right thing by beginning to house detainees in some of those hotels. They need to do more, at a more rapid pace. Please do not call people lunatics for having strong feelings on an emotionally fraught matter, thanks.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

Last time DHS used just any old hotels it was worse then camps.

That's because the Trump Administration intentionally put those kids in hotels to skirt regulations and keep them from lawyers and advocates. Hopefully Biden will not be doing this, although we'll see.

quote:

Why is concentration camps more correct then refugee camps, then of not to inflame the discussion by implicitly bringing the Shoah into play.

People can refer to the camps however they feel is appropriate. If you want to call them internment camps or refugee camps, have at it. We're just not going to have semantic debates about it here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Why?

Words have meaning. There is a enormous difference between a concentration camp and a refugee camp. If someone believes that a term isn't being used properly I would hope that debate is allowed.

Nah, it leads to ridiculous derails that dominate the conversation, as we saw in USPOL. So we're just not going to allow those derails. This thread is for discussing U.S. immigration policy and ways to change it, not semantic derails.

freeasinbeer posted:

Yet we let folks go into every conversation painting everyone implicitly a Nazi at best or a British Colonial Administrator at worst, just utterly destroying any conversation that isn’t someone circle jerking to calling them death camps.

If your tone is yelling “concentration camps” over and over to own the libs; maybe it should be policed?

If you see any posts like that, feel free to report them, or PM an IK, because ad hominem attacks like what you describe are against DnD rules.

IK Hat On: Now, let's put a stop to this meta-discussion and get back to this thread's topic.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 23, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't know what happened in MSPol.

Housing immigrants is absolutely a topic that's going to part of any immigration policy for any Country. There's hundreds of articles online on the subject from housing, enforcements, camps, etc.

Of course it is. So discuss it. Don't language police people, though.

Discendo Vox posted:

The decision in USPOL was specifically to make people stop calling them concentration camps, because, and I quote,

So what you've done is taken a form of rhetorical abuse that was specifically disallowed in USPOL, for reasons that are no less applicable here, and you've enshrined it as an acceptable standard.

We've already discussed this a couple pages back. As you see, Ralph concurred.

As the grandson of a Sachsenhausen survivor, I have no problem with people referring to these camps as "concentration camps." If you don't like my stance, you can feel free to take it up with one of the higher-up mods or admins, but that is my final word on the topic.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

It's not a semantic derail, it's tone policing.

It's an entirely valid term and the fragility of certain posters isn't a good enough reason to ban it, since it's entirely on topic for this thread. This isn't USPOL, it's a thread about immigration.

Your job as an IK is not to tone police.

Which is why I and the other mods and IKs agree that we will not tone police on this topic.

Now please, enough of the meta-discussion, folks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How people can have a discussion of anything if they disagree on what words mean in the first place?

The group that uses "concentration camp" is going to be continually interpreted as saying that the camps at the border are equivalent of the Nazi camps because that is the most well known usage of the term, those who use some other term are going to be seen as trying to minimize the camps and stan for the Biden administration.

How is discussion supposed to occur when both sides view each other as somewhere between deceitful propagandists and blood gurgling monsters?

I think at this point we all know what we're talking about. People calling these camps "concentration camps" aren't saying they're as bad as Nazi death camps, and people who call them internment camps or refugee camps aren't deliberately trying to minimize the bad poo poo that's going on inside of them. This discussion is only going to successfully operate if there is a presumption of good faith. If people start using these labels as bludgeoning weapons against each other, or start calling each other deceitful propagandists or blood-gurgling monsters, we, the mod team, will deal with those posts on an individual basis. But outlawing or mandating specific terms, or policing language at this level, is not the solution.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

IK Hat On: We're not going to continue the meta-discussion here. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, feel free to PM me or someone else on the mod team, or else start a QCS thread on it. But this thread is for discussing U.S. immigration policy. I'm going to start probating people who keep at it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

e: gently caress, you beat me to it.

Yeah, this is...pretty drat ugly. This part in particular is grim:

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1376985227592146948

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

They are not concentration camps.

Why do you believe this?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

You should perhaps bookmark the encyclopedic definition posted above so that you can refer to it whenever you find yourself asking this question.

Appeals to authority via dictionaries are not acceptable answers in this discussion.

Everyone, if you're going to engage in this debate, please put effort into your posts and tell us why you think these camps do or don't count as concentration camps.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

With all due respect, you asked me why I thought they aren't concentration camps, I provided a citation in the form of an encyclopedic resource that explains very clearly and relatively concisely the actual distinction between a concentration camp and other types of camps such as refugee centers. Posting a definition of a term is not an "appeal to authority." Terms don't suddenly change their meaning based on people's opinions.

The definition of a "concentration camp" is not as universally agreed-upon as the definition of, say, a table or a bike. A much better response would be one in which you explain why you think these camps do not meet the conditions of your definition of a concentration camp. How are people not being loaded into these camps on a largely ethnic or meta-ethnic basis? Do you feel they are receiving fair indictments or trials? At what point, in your opinion, do they stop being facilities for temporary detainment, and start being permanent facilities for permanent internment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I posted this in CE, but here it is for this thread as well...

https://twitter.com/camiloreports/status/1489407873792757761
https://twitter.com/camiloreports/status/1489426014031728642

Obviously, this is an inhumane way to treat any group of refugees, but it's an especially cruel response to people from countries that the U.S. has genuinely decimated over the past few decades - within many of our lifetimes, in fact.