Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Many countries don't have a special ICE type of force because regular cops will ask you for ID at a traffic check (or in some cases, just while walking on the street while looking funny/brown) or for government service, and you can't just get one based on an electric bill or what have you.

There's a special "foreigner police" which mostly just handles administration, but either they or maybe customs police do randomly pull over coaches even in the middle of the country and check everyone's papers. They also do raids on some employers likely to have illegals and deport everyone. As far as I can tell, and IANAL, you rear end gets sent back unless you can prove that this will cause significant harm by e.g. separation of a family or you're from a literal war zone. I couldn't find any hard stats but one online grocery store had like 80 people deported based on one check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

The most positive reading Obama's legacy is that he sincerely wanted to help the DREAMers, and made the miscalculation that if he was super tough on other forms of undocumented immigration he would buy enough goodwill to pass the dream act.

First, to correct some of the things you've said:

While deportations in the interior eventually go down, peak deportations from the interior happens during the last year of Bush and first Obama years:

Hasn't the overall number of immigrants been going down during this period? That would be very important for interpreting these statistics.

I think the first step in this discussion should be to determine whose interests a country's immigration policy is supposed to advance and to what degree. Because on one end you'd have a limited number of youngish, educated and ideally English-speaking people and on the other end, all non-taliban Afghanis or something. The current situation seems completely ridiculous as I don't think it actually meaningfully contributes to either goal, while being very slow, inconsistent and full of selective enforcement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did we have a separate immigration a/t thread or was it just this one? I know this isn't a policy thing but I got myself into a dumb situation and maybe someone ITT would know what's up. Otherwise I'll delete this if it's too offtopic.

I'm flying to the US next Friday and when getting my stuff ready, I realized that the tickets are booked under my name with my EU citizenship that requires ESTA authorization. I started filling it out but there's a question about previously denied visas. I had my first attempt rejected like 12 years ago, before I got my EU citizenship. I since got two B2 visas, the last one valid until 2028, in my other passport. The name is spelled completely differently in that passport and doesn't match the ticket though.

So, wtf. I don't want to answer "No" and do a fraud, but if I say yes I probably won't get approved for VWP. I feel like it doesn't have to be a an issue as long as they're not anal about the name on the ticket matching a document under which I'd be authorized for entry, but I've no idea if I can rely on that. I'm on hold with the airline trying to see if I can do a name chaneg, and I'l try calling the consulate tomorrow of course but if anyone knows how that works, it would help me sleep at night :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

I would advise contacting the consulate or the US state department.

Thanks, yeah that's the way to go. But it was Sunday so I was only able to reach the preclearance desk in Dublin and some sort of CBP info line. Both said it's fine as long as all the documents are valid. Also stopped by the airport and the check-in clerk reviewed everythign and said.

Still, a bit sketchy. It's one thing to have a verbal answer and another to actually get it. So I gave ESTA a shot, answered "YES" on the visa question, and was approved anyway. So a bit of a false alarm, but better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Celexi posted:

You have to be on some pretty bad lists to get denied for Esta. The whole thing is more of a security theater.

Apparently. It was the first time I applied for it and they really try to scare you off answering YES on one of the questions. Like "Are you sure you want to admit you had a visa application rejected? Better double check to make sure you don't gently caress up your trip!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

They should, but, hear me out, brown people

I, as a stupid child, thought this is what NAFTA would lead to, a peaceful unification of the US and Canada and Mexico into one super country

OK then US and Canada, but in the actual Eurozone