Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

wateroverfire posted:

You can value people as people and also acknowledge they have virtues or faults in a particular context, and we (even you!) do that all the time.

If you were choosing a roommate you wouldn't think twice about vetting them to make sure they were a good fit and that they could actually pay their share, and you wouldn't think twice about turning down anyone you didn't think would come through. Immigration is the same decision on a larger scale.

That seems like imagining a national economy like a household economy: useful as a temporary metaphor but critically lacking. Immigration policy for voters is more like being a tenant in a hotel trying to get management to change policies regarding future tenants.

If you still want to use a dumb analogy, that is.

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

wateroverfire posted:

Tenants in a hotel do no actual work to help maintain or run the hotel, have no obligations beyond not wrecking their rooms, and expect to be waited on by people whose job it is to make them comfortable while they gently caress off and do whatever. They're like children except they pay money. If you view the national economy like a hotel that says a lot about you but not much that's useful about immigration.

The economy us nothing like a hotel. I'm saying that immigration is closer to being a hotel tenant than your analogue which makes about as much sense as comparing the economy to a household. That is, it doesn't.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

wateroverfire posted:

I'll be honest, I don't understand what you're saying.

National immigration policy is not "choosing a roommate" writ large. That assumes that it's the tenants choosing, instead of management setting broad policy. I'm just saying it's a dumb analogy.