Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, the best way to manage an immigration policy meant to shore up the tax base would be a merit based system and elimination of jus soli citizenship, which is not what most advocates of more lax immigration policies want. This would kind of gently caress with the narrative that immigrants are only taking jobs that Americans don't want to do (which really means jobs that owners aren't willing to pay Americans enough to do.)

In the US, birthright citizenship is embedded in the same Constitutional amendment that guarantees equal protection under the law for all citizens. The other aspects of that amendment and the amount of caselaw that is dependent on this amendment are best saved for another thread.

In any event, especially given the political climate in the US right now, I do not trust a change from birthright citizenship without completely screwing something up or furthering some massively racist agenda.

A merit-based system would be able to address the tax base question without needing to eliminate birthright citizenship and I don't see how getting rid of birthright citizenship somehow results in more fiscal responsibility. If anything, it broadens the tax base by having more people with more set civic duties contributing to this country's economy.

Instant Sunrise posted:

For those lurkers reading this, Dead Reckoning has a history of advocating for anti-immigration policies, and has even expressed support for getting rid of the 14th amendment because of the SCOTUS case law listed in the OP stops policies that would make things even harder for undocumented immigrants.

Oh. Well, I'm too lazy to erase my response now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We're stuck with him until 2022, but is there at least a good contender for Dem leader, or is that going to be his gig until he retires?

Not sure. I would think it depends on who else manages to stay or get voted into the Senate.