Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Throw this on the pile of 'using any meas to gently caress legal immigration they can muster'.

Remember that change in the public charge rule that was going to make it harder for people to get their green cards?

Well, because that change goes into effect on October 15, 2019, USCIS has announced that it will not be accepting older editions of the I-485 (the form you complete to apply for a green card) because they don't cover this change properly. The problem? USCIS has not published a new version of the form yet. So we better hope that they go ahead and do that in the next two weeks, because otherwise people who are legally eligible for their green cards will be unable to file because there is no appropriate, approved form to use to do that.

Historically, USCIS publishes new versions of forms months in advance and provides a sunset period where they'll continue to accept the old version for people who are in the process of preparing and filing. Announcing that they will discontinue accepting a form before it's replacement is published and available is basically unprecedented and insane. But of course, there isn't a law that says there has to be a valid form available, so I guess we get to litigate this as well.

Meanwhile people will be denied their rightful benefits just from bureaucratic fuckery.

The website claims that they'll accept older versions postmarked through October 14:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Also the lack of daylight in winter.

I'm not an agriculture expert but this does not strike me as one of the foremost concerns for farming.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How exactly do you think photosynthesis works?

Not very well on crops that have already been harvested in the fall?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ok, I guess I wasn't specific enough, and I should have said something like "the lack of winter daylight hours does not strike me as one of the foremost barriers for expanding farming to warming parts of the Canadian north like the Canadian Shield, because as previously noted the poor quality soil is the main reason why, for example, Northern Ontario isn't farmed the way parts of the prairies are (some at even higher latitudes)". But anyway, since this thread is ostensibly about US immigration, I would worry less about Americans marching north to claim peat bogs or whatever, and more about Nestle's private armies draining our precious bodily fluids aquifers. Having said that, as I was looking up crop yields per acre to compare the prairies with California and make some pithy point about desertification and draining the Colorado river, Google reminded me that Saskatchewan also had a prolonged drought last year, so maybe that is the greatest concern for population growth and the distribution thereof on the continent.