Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm a first generation American. My parents were here on temporary visas, had me, and then left with me when they were done studying/working. Moved here in 2010 to stay. I am only a citizen due to birthright, if they suddenly start making restrictions based on what status my parents have, that's going to hit me. I knew it was coming eventually, like, a long time ago (at least as early as the first Muslim Ban), but I guess they're really making the arguments, so he's going to loving do it. I already started taking my passport on even domestic flights just on the off chance some immigration rear end in a top hat at an airport decides my name sounds too foreign and they insist I should prove my citizenship.

I hope you have a US Passport Card. It's the best :10bux::10bux::10bux: you've ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ashcans posted:

Historically, USCIS publishes new versions of forms months in advance and provides a sunset period where they'll continue to accept the old version for people who are in the process of preparing and filing. Announcing that they will discontinue accepting a form before it's replacement is published and available is basically unprecedented and insane. But of course, there isn't a law that says there has to be a valid form available, so I guess we get to litigate this as well.

Got a link to an article which summarizes this?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Katt posted:

She doesn't seem to be a citizen and she just jumped on a flight to Sweden without any preparations at all.
Has she been living there illegally the whole time?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Katt posted:

Update to update. Turns out she's not a citizen after all.

Is there a criminal history involved? Definitely a red flag, not getting citizenship after all that time, since dual citizenship has been uncontrovertially allowed in both countries since 2001.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Is there a thread for US immigration advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

DeadlyMuffin posted:

80% of Canada's national identity is "we aren't the United States". That alone would be enough to provide a lot of resistance.

I don't think it's fair to say Quebec is 20% of their national identity...