Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

PeterCat posted:

After doing a bit of research, a Ukrainian who seeks Humanitarian Parole in the US must be sponsored by an American citizen or organization. This means that the sponsor agrees to be financially responsible for the Ukrainian refugee, and must prove that the sponsor has the financial means to provide for the refugee once they come to the United States.

The process seems to be some what onerous, as most bureaucratic things are. I'm posting the instructions from the USCIS website to demonstrate this. It is not surprising that it is not as simple as just buying a ticket to the US and declaring refugee status once you hit customs.

I-134 for a refugee? I thought that was just reserved for immigrant/non-immigrant visa holders going for a green card... well the upshot is it's a direct line to a Green Card instead of some temporary special visa status with no pathway to GC/Citizenship I would guess. I may be incorrect there. Hopefully it's not some temporary protected status where the can is kicked down the road for a few years.

I had to fill out an I-134 as a visa worker, even though I had already completed over 40 quarters of work and FICA contributions to the point where I would qualify for social security/Medicare. On a work visa :v:

A lot of the visa paperwork processes could be streamlined/simplified but it'll take a mountain of congressional support to do that and immigration reform no matter at what level is generally low priority for most Americans. I naturalize this year, so it'll remain a big priority for me going into the future after dealing with US immigration for 15 years with tons of paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU