Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Aight I'm gonna try to get through this one. Last Sherlock I read was The Hound of the Baskervilles when I was in middle school. Excited to see how colonialism is represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I like the part where Watson gets mad at Holmes for not ogling Ms. Morstan.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The scene of Watson peeking through Sholto's keyhole was particularly chilling. Really spooked me as I was doing me bedtime reading.

I like the idea of Sherlock, but reading how he works an how far ahead he is of everyone, especially Watson, is exhausting. There are little glimpses of Holmes being taken aback which really land considering his usual confidence. But usually I find myself wanting him to stop being so smarmy.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I can only kind of engage with the colonialism stuff. Makes me want to reread some Edward Said. Definitely presenting all the Indian stuff as exotic and different without much consideration for them as people.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

One part I enjoyed was when Holmes was all sexist and talked about how you couldn’t trust women, and Watson didn’t like it. He did just ignore it though.

Haha I just read that part. Sherlock is really hateable in this book. I know it's Doyle showing how clever he is for coming up with everything but the big sections of Sherlock explaining his reasonings is more tedious than entertaining.

Also it's really rude that Watson kept referring to Toby as a mongrel. Toby's got the best nose in the British Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Just finished it. Wow, if the allusions to British colonialism were subtle in the meat of the book, things get very NOT subtle in the last chapter. Pretty interesting. I'm definitely gonna reread Culture and Imperialism and probably end up reading Orientalism, too. Any other books on the subject that might be good? I might be interested in a history of British colonial rule in India as well, granted that it's not all told by the British.

As far as the book itself goes, I wonder. I haven't read a ton of Sherlock Holmes, but this book was kind of all over the place. That final chapter being a weird postscript frame story thing while also being the longest chapter in the book felt like a really odd way to end things. It was interesting, sure, but felt very indulgent. Not as indulgent as the bits with Sherlock explaining his genius. I'd have to read more of Doyle's Sherlock stuff, but this one gave me the impression the works were famous less for their craft and more for their popularizing the genre.

I also did not come away liking any of the characters except Toby. Sherlock seemed kind of pitiful; a true junkie. Watson is boring as hell. Everyone else was barely there.

• Locked thread