Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ovenboy posted:

Though his dating game is on point, Watson was more bumbling observer than I remembered. Does he take on a more active role in other stories, with stout stick or pistol (or perhaps detecting!)?
It's not really needed. Thing is, later authors and media turned Holmes into an impractical genius but in the original stories he's a regular action hero complete with mastery of disguise and martial arts. There isn't much point to Watson, he's there just to be amazed 90% of the time.
The only example I can think off the top of my head of Watson actually doing something is his solo trip to Baskerville manor and even that is rendered pointless by Holmes in the course of a few chapters.

edit: Actually, I've got a Holmesiana related question as well - anyone has any idea whether there is any consensus on what the hell happened to Watson's dog? Far as I can tell, it is mentioned in precisely one sentence in A Study in Scarlet and there's gotta be a holmesologic explanation.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cryptoclastic posted:

I agree with this as well. The last chapter felt out of place, like it could have been done differently. Just very out of place in the whole of the book.
I'd like to think that this was a much more palatable version of A Study in Scarlet's second part. Doyle has not yet figured out people don't want to read that poo poo at this point, maybe he felt that the exotic adventure story was asked for.

(Mind you, then he pulled it off again in Valley of Fear, but that could just have been out of sheer spite for Holmes)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have we done Lincoln in the Bardo yet? It is staring at me accusingly everytime I turn my Kindle on.
Also it's supposed to be both relatively simple and good.

• Locked thread