Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I started with this yesterday, it's a fun read so far. Regarding chapter 3 or 4: Loved the goony dweeb twin.
It is really weird though, I very clearly recognize some bits while others are completely foreign. Either I've read this story a long time ago and forgotten most of it, or there's just certain scenes that I've absorbed thanks to the sheer presence of Sherlock in pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Though his dating game is on point, Watson was more bumbling observer than I remembered. Does he take on a more active role in other stories, with stout stick or pistol (or perhaps detecting!)?
Holmes' healthy lifestyle made me want to rewatch The Knick. Watson seems mainly annoyed with Holmes' drug use, and I know that attitudes were quite relaxed around cocaine at the time, but does anyone know what the general victorian would think of Sherlock's drug use and lifestyle?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

It's not really needed. Thing is, later authors and media turned Holmes into an impractical genius but in the original stories he's a regular action hero complete with mastery of disguise and martial arts. There isn't much point to Watson, he's there just to be amazed 90% of the time.
The only example I can think off the top of my head of Watson actually doing something is his solo trip to Baskerville manor and even that is rendered pointless by Holmes in the course of a few chapters.

Of course it's not needed, I just find Watson an affable man, in contrast with Holmes. I suppose if Watson had a bigger role to play it wouldn't really be a Sherlock story, so I guess it is moot.

On pastisches, I remembered this short story: A Study in Emerald.

• Locked thread