Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think this is part of why Sherlock is a classic character -- he's not a Mary Sue type protagonist who does everything perfectly, he's hateable and deeply flawed, but brilliant and successful despite and because of those flaws. I'm not sure if he's the first example of that character type in fiction but he's certainly one of the forefathers of it in modern fiction.

Until a few years ago, despite how widely-read I am in general, I'd never read through anything Holmes. At the time, my only exposure to Holmes were the commonly-known pop culture tropes and the Cumberbatch series. I honestly thought Holmes' behavior was just an interpretation. Something that Cumberbatch and/or his writers added to the character to make him more interesting and less perfect. My mental image of him, at the time, was someone superior and aloof, not arrogant and cold-hearted.

After watching the first few Cumberbatch episodes, I decided to pick up the original novels and short stories. I've read through most of them, although I don't think I've read this BotM (which I plan to do, but I just started another book, so it's unlikely I'll get it done before the end of the month).

I was surprised and more than a little delighted to find that, no, Holmes has always been an rear end in a top hat. He's deeply flawed. He's a user, both of drugs and of people, he's arrogant, and he's more than a little unhinged, manifesting sociopathic tendencies.

He's a fascinating character, especially considering the age in which he was conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strangled himself with a shoelace and a wooden spoon, huh?

I'm no expert (and perhaps this is the point), but that sounds a lot like my favorite line from Mystery Men:

"He fell down an elevator shaft. Onto some bullets."

• Locked thread