Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am not a kid person, but I can see why everyone loves KeA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Part 75: “An absolute monster. That’s what he is.”

Inevitable Struggle (Evolution)

Time to rumble down with Garcia Rossi, Revache’s second-in-command. Along with him are his pals and the puppers from the auction. Unlike all the battles we’ve fought here so far, KeA is now in the party as a support member rather than an NPC. It’d be… uh, really awkward if Garcia just straight up snapped her neck here and we got a game over because of that. I know that we’ve had a bunch of mature themes like suicide and child abandonment so far and poo poo like that. But Trails is definitely a family-friendly series, okay?! Right?! Right…?

Now, while we’ve seen what the war hounds have done before, the mafiosos equipped with the tommy guns are new. But frankly, there’s a better place and time to go over what they do in the future. Besides…

Wazy and Randy ended their existence before they could get more than one turn. Anyone left standing died or got locked down with status effects afterward by either Lloyd or Elie. No sweat. We can take care of these guys easily. These guys CAN be a hindrance if you don’t take them out fast enough, and when combined with Garcia they can gently caress up someone with lower Max HP pretty quickly.

Enough about Tweedle A and Tweedle B. Let’s talk about the main man himself. Garcia Rossi enjoys punching out fools and using wrestling moves on unsuspecting jerks. And breaking bones, of course. Who doesn’t like making some nerd in a yellow turtleneck squeal until he sounds like a helium balloon on crack?

The first craft in Garcia’s limited arsenal is a full on spin kick. This does a bit of damage and launches the party in different directions. Which is more of a problem if you use items than anything else. This is followed by…

...Burst Kick, which is a craft in which Garcia just straight-up destroys the target's pelvic region. Hey, no. Randy needs that. His life is OVER if he can’t function. Lloyd, sure, maybe. But Randy?

Once Garcia’s HP reaches a certain threshold, he buffs himself up with Matchless Power, boosting his Strength and Speed. I don’t know… I’m pretty sure Burning Heart matches that even if it does stun him for a turn afterwards. Also, given that you can prevent the aftereffect and keep buffing Lloyd with it if he has enough CP left.

As I mentioned in the last update, one of the reasons why I subbed out Tio for Wazy is for C-Protection. Craft Guard is fairly important here, because…

We still have Garcia’s S-Craft, Killing Driver, to work through. Personally, this is my favorite S-Craft in the franchise for a very simple reason:

C’MON AND SLAM! AND WELCOME TO THE JAM! :dance:

Garcia throws his victim up INTO THE loving STRATOSPHERE before piledriving them into oblivion. You don’t need anything flashy when you have Garcia! We have reached peak quality here. There’s no beating how dunk-worthy this is. Wazy wouldn’t be existing right now if it wasn’t for C-Protection. Literally pildriven so hard that he’s become one with the air.

It’s worth noting that this is enough to one-shot anyone unlucky enough to be in Garcia’s sights.

Outside of his S-Craft and his goons piling on damage, Garcia’s a piece of cake. You just need to make sure to buff yourselves and make sure everyone isn’t too far apart from each other. Randy in particular should throw a Crash Bomb at the beginning of the fight to blind the goons before abusing War Cry to launch S-Break after S-Break.

Garcia does hit somewhat hard once buffed. But I didn’t have all that much trouble with him, since well… he went after Lloyd mostly. Lloyd’s the evasion tank of the team, so Garcia ended up swinging and missing a good 75% of the time.

But hey, I’m not complaining. From here, it’s just a matter of whittling the big guy down until his health depletes and sepith falls out of his pockets. It was nice, but it’s time to bid you and your auction farewell.

Arrivederci! (The Will to Protect Until the End, Super Arrange)

Quite the handful, wasn’t he?
B-Boss…!
A-Are you all right?!
Hehehe… Hahahaha… I was just planning to have an appetizer, but that was the full course.

Garcia stands up. He cracks his knuckles.

Th-That can’t be possible…!
He must be selges stronger than Wald. Color me impressed…
An absolute monster. That’s what he is.
Heh, what’s with the trash talk? A monster, you say? Funny you say that, because aren’t you the same as me… Randolph Orlando?
...!
Randy…?
I was spot on, then. You come from one of the strongest jaeger corps in western Zemuria, the Red Constellation. The Red Reaper, son of its infamous leader. A kid who led his own squadron, slaughtering anyone who would stand in your way…
Son of the War God, Randolph Orlando!
Son of the War God?
The Red Constellation is one of the most notorious jaeger corps in Zemuria…
No way…
Haha. Cat’s outta the bag, eh?
You must’ve studied, old man. Got most of your facts straight. Though, I wanna puke every time someone calls me Son of the War God.
Heh. Can’t help wondering how you ended up in Crossbell. Must be quite the story.
You know, when I was working for Zephyr, the Red Constellation was always the biggest pain in our rear end. Isn’t this just perfect? How about we have ourselves a little clash of destiny?
You and me! Right here, right now!
Have it your way…

...Leave it to me, guys. If I take on this geezer, you might be able to find an opening. Just forget about me and focus on gettin’ out of here in one piece!
That’s not happening!
R-Randy, you can’t…!
Get a hold of yourself!

Randy powers up.

A jaeger-exclusive technique that brings out one’s very own battle aura… Now that’s the spirit!

...Yeah, I think you’re a little outta your league with this one, guys.

Wooow, they’re shining!
If this keeps up...

Suddenly, everyone hears the howl of a wolf.

Firm Strength (Evolution)

Howling!

Zeit arrives on the scene...

...and lays down the law.

The hell is that…?
H-Hey! Don’t be a chicken!
GRRRRRRRRR!

Tch. drat dog!

Suddenly, everyone hears a motorboat driving closer and closer to them. Big drat Motorboats at its finest.

Can you hurry it up? It’s not as if I have all day.
Chief…!
Ooooh, a boat!
Nice timing!

drat it. You bastard...
Sorry to break it to ya. but it seems like our 'clash of destiny' will have to wait. More importantly...were you aware of what you guys were doin'? Trying to auction off a freakin’ kid…?
What are you talking about?!
This girl was locked up in a trunk inside the storeroom. Surely you know what that means for Revache & Co., right?
Huh?
What the hell are you on about?! That trunk had a doll from the Rosenberg Studio in it, not that kid…!
Maybe so, but that doesn’t change the fact. Depending on how this whole debacle is handled, it might be hard for you to get off the hook, hmm? What a shame.
Sounds like the situation has gotten more complicated than we thought.
Hey, Revache. We’ll need to have a chat sometime soon. I’ll let you sort out this mess among yourselves first, though.
Grr…
Special Support Section, retreat! C’mon, move your asses!
Yes, sir!

Daaaaaamn it…!
drat it! Aren’t there any other boats?!
Oooooooooooohhh…

Meanwhile:

There’s been a minor incident, but the auction will proceed as planned…
Minor incident my rear end! Those were gunshots we heard earlier, right?!
Wh-Who do you take us for?!
I’ll bring the diet in to this! Don’t think I won’t!
Please, everyone just calm down…!
Hmph, useless morons… Who do they think they are? How dare they make a fool of me?

Wh-Where are you going…? Please wait a minute!

I'd say this visit was still worth it, all in all. Where else would I have been able to see such a show?

Dang, I was really wanting to spend a bit more time hanging out ‘round here… Guess I’ll have to hold back for now.
Hold back? From my point of view, you already spent all of your time goofing off.

You who serves as the link connecting the Blood and Iron Chancellor and Hartmann… Despite serving such an important role, you've acted quite improperly during this whole situation, haven't you?
Huh? What are you talking about? It’s not like I gave them a helping hand upfront. Unlike a certain someone.
You sure that's okay, though? Kind of a major interference of domestic affairs, wasn't it?
That chakram technique was most impressive, yes. Perhaps the infamous assassin, Yin, made an appearance tonight?
Yeah, yeah. Way to brush it off.
Eh, whatever. My main objective was to make contact with you, after all. The honorable Kilika Rouran, division chief of the Rocksmith Agency…
Hehe. Sharp, aren’t you? As expected of a second secretary for the Imperial government… No, perhaps it's more appropriate to address you by your primary position... Captain Lechter Arundel of the Imperial Intelligence Division.
Guess we’ve figured each other out, then. That should make things easier. How about we head on back to the hotel lounge and have ourselves a nice chat? We can talk about fun stuff. Y'know, like the intelligence war being waged in Crossbell. The future plans of our respective countries… Maybe the Non-Aggression Pact, too? Of course, rules regarding this coming age of the orbal net need to be discussed as well. Sound good?
Yes. Let us begin. The era of sabotage and terrorism that constantly alter the world stage is now over. For the sake of preventing any more tragic accidents from occurring in Crossbell…

Tender Heart

Well, for now, I’m ignoring the fact that you completely disregarded my warning…
S-Sorry, Chief…
This girl is our primary issue. Depending on how everything goes down, things could take a turn for the worse.
Tell me about it… That auction was about to sell a kid. Not a doll, not a statue… a kid.
I couldn’t imagine anything pleasant happening there.
I find it hard to believe that the mafia would try something this stupid.
Huh? Is someone going to try to do something bad to me?
Don’t worry about it, KeA. We won’t let that happen.
But more importantly… KeA, have you remembered anything else?
Hmmmmm… Hehehe. Nope. Not a thing.
*sigh* I was afraid so…
Still at square one…
Hey, Randy…
C’mon, let’s save my story for some other day, okay? I’ll tell ya, as long as you don’t kick me to the curb.

Don’t be ridiculous.
Randy, you have trouble reading the atmosphere, don’t you?
Yes, now’s not the time for joking around.
Sorry ‘bout that.
Hmm…? Hey, doggie. Why do Lloyd and the others look upset?
Grrrr…
Haha, oh, the beauty of youth is so marvelous.
Youth?
Haha, nothin’ seems to ever shock you, Wazy.
Yeah, I still find it crazy to think that we were chased down by the mafia…
The world’s turned upside-down…
Apologies, but this clearly isn’t a dream.
Heh… At any rate, we’ll go over everything once we get back to the office. Starting tomorrow, stay on high alert for the time being.
Yes, sir!
Okie dokie!

And on that note, Chapter 3 finally comes to a close.

Our reward for promoting to 5th Class Detective is the Grail Locket accessory (prevents all status ailments). That’ll be nice to have in the future, just in case.

In any case, that’s it for Chapter 3! Personally, I could have done without the sheer amount of Support Requests the game threw at you this chapter. But that’s mostly because of this LP format. The rest of this game and Azure don’t really pull this kind of stuff on you from what I recall. And really, it’s fun to play it if you don’t need to transcribe every piece of text by hand!

We actually have a bit before we move onto Chapter 4 and start winding down on this game. Next time, we start Intermission: KeA and just chill out a bit with Lloyd’s totally not adopted daughter! Cuteness is justice, y’know?!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wish I knew that about Wazy because I rode the struggle bus during that fight. I have an aversion to using temporary characters any longer than I have to. The doctors say there's no cure

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I wish I knew that about Wazy because I rode the struggle bus during that fight. I have an aversion to using temporary characters any longer than I have to. The doctors say there's no cure

Doesnt really apply to Lazy due to limited availability, but I sadly ended up benching Noel, cuz these two just dont feel as complete as the main 4. Its like having Julia and Mueller on the team in SC, cool, but you suck as low effort extras.

Anyway, gonna go through my screenshots for the Randy and Tio bits to share.

Also, the sudden realization that you're doing this all by hand makes me forgive you ignoring the npcs.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 1, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I was originally going to just post it here, but upon realizing my screenshots were twice the size of Pyre's I thought, I should use test poster, so here we are, hopefully this bit can still be archived and when we get to the Renne quest, I'll see what I can do about resizing and transcribing things.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157670

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Linked it to the Table of Contents under the Chapter 3 banner. Thanks!

If you still want to resize and transcribe stuff, gimme a heads up. I'll relink it then.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think on the whole, Chapter 3 of this game was my favorite chapter from every game we have available in English. It has action, comedy, some great heartfelt moments, and it just excels every step of the way. That final fight is a great way to cap it off, too. Just...*chefs kiss*

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Linked it to the Table of Contents under the Chapter 3 banner. Thanks!

If you still want to resize and transcribe stuff, gimme a heads up. I'll relink it then.

Nah, I realized 1/3 in that my images were huge, I just wasnt reuploading stuff after figuring out sharex after rightload failed. And Transcribing means I'll have to replay that segment, which I did keep a save for just in case, but the quest isnt that great so screenshots and summary should be fine. Realllllly gotta respect all the work that goes into SSLPs and I'm glad I never got around to actually doing the one I planned despite loving the game. Hopefully someday they can make that program I initially thought you dweebs had that lets you basically write in notepad while uploading images that would make SSLPing so much easier.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of the things I love about these games is the things you catch on repeat playthroughs. The writers are fantastic. I hope they keep it up for Calvard.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Bonus Update: Drama CD ~ If Cecile Got Angry

So it’s probably worth noting that Trails From Zero and Trails to Azure got the Drama CD treatment. A whole bunch of them got translated by dedicated fans within the last year or so. I’ll be posting the videos sporadically from here on out, along with a transcript (in case the videos get lost or taken down for whatever reason). Seriously, give a round of applause to these people for taking the time to do this.

LISTEN TO THE DRAMA CD HERE. Credit to ZIGLUDO-CHAN-SAN-SAMA-SENPAI-SAN-SAMA-SAN-SENPAI-CHAN for the translation.

(Recommended just for Guy Bannings’ voice acting alone. Go to sleep, you’re drunk. :allears: )

---

Tomorrow is Another Day

At that time, I was still living with Big Bro at the Bellheim Apartments. We were still neighbours with Cecile, then.

[door opening sound.]

I’m back! [closes door] Seems like big bro isn’t home yet.

[dead on the inside] You’re finally back, Lloyd.
Uwaa! You scared me! Big bro, you’re here.
I am… *sigh*
Big bro, your face looks so pale. Come to think of it, you've been like that since this morning. What happened? Today’s a work day, too. Why’re you back so early?
I was constantly on edge during work... so my coworkers decided to hurry me back home.
So you've been like that since you went out this morning? What happened?
That’s… not easy to explain.
Well, if you don’t feel like it, I won’t press the matter. Anyway, Cecile’s coming over to make dinner soon. It won’t do for you to greet her with that zombie-like expression of yours.
Ghgh! [chokes on spit]
?
Right. I need to pack up.
Haah?!
I'm going to leave for a journey now. Lloyd, even though it pains me to leave your adorable little face behind… But I’ll leave the rest to you! Adios!
[grabs Guy’s shirt] Wait! Wait, wait, wait a sec! You can’t just leave without bringing anything with you!
Leave me alone, Lloyd! I must disappear before Cecile gets back!
Eh?! Why do you need to leave before Cecile returns?! What kind of shameless act did you commit behind Cecille’s back?

Points and Lines

Hahghha!!
Judging by your reaction... it seems I was right on the mark.
Uh…
You weren’t trying anything funny, were you big bro?
Ack! How could that possibly be?
Then what did you do? C’mon, you can tell me. If you didn't do anything weird, big sis wouldn't shoo you out of the house for no reason.
Your suggestion is even more horrifying…
Come on, just tell me - Why are you avoiding Cecile?
Lloyd, before I tell you, promise me… Stick with me… to the very end.
In most cases, I find myself on Cecile’s side.
[close to sobbing] But you, my little brother, are the dearest thing to me in the entire world!
Ah! Enough, I get it! Fine, fine, I’m on your side for now. Now hurry up and explain the situation to me.
Ah, understood. So the truth is, Cecile came over to our place to make dinner yesterday.
That’s true.
At that time, Cecile left a bowl of jelly in the fridge.
Eh?
Since Cecille came over directly after work, she likely left the jelly in our fridge for convenience’s sake, and considered bringing it home to eat after dinner.
Oh, so if there was only a single bowl of jelly, it probably wasn't meant for you.
You’re probably right. And then, while Cecile was making dinner, my gaze inadvertently fell onto the single jelly in the fridge.
I think I already know how this ends. And then?
Later, after showering, I was suddenly awash with the insatiable desire to consume something sweet!
E-eh?
And when I mean something sweet, I don’t mean your average kind of sweet! A heavenly flavour that sets the mind at ease… an unforgettable texture… something that invigorates a man!
So you wate Cecile’s jelly, didn’t you?
The jelly spoke to me. It was the unique, one-of-a-kind sweet flavour I’ve been painstakingly searching for. So I didn’t hesitate to reach out and seize the jelly for myself!
[deadpan] So you ate it?

[silence]

Yes… I ate it.
Ha… And where I was wondering what had happened, but this is pretty insignificant…
'Pretty insignificant?! My mind is fraught with endless worry! And you dismiss it by calling my problems ‘pretty insignificant'?!
Think about it. As long as you give Cecile an honest apology, I’m sure she’ll forgive you, right?
[constipated] You're not wrong! If it were just a regular run-of-the-mill jelly, that would be fine. But that jelly wasn't any old piece of jelly!
That jelly was the combined efforts of the people at the hospital - including the little girl who stays there, AND the nurses!
Uwaaa, that’s…
Do you still believe Cecile wouldn’t be mad?!
Hmm… Wait a moment. How come you weren’t exposed yesterday, then? If Cecile had checked the fridge before leaving, wouldn’t she have noticed the jelly was gone?
I tricked her into believing that she left the jelly at her place… And she completely bought the lie.
Uwaa… That really is something she’d do…
However, if my lie were to be exposed… Guuhh… [having a mental breakdown].
Hold on, big bro- While Cecile might get mad, her anger shouldn’t be enough to warrant this degree of fear, should it?
A person like her getting mad is the most horrifying thing!
Eh? Big bro, have you made Cecille mad before?
Well, of course not!
Never before?!
But - when Cecile gets mad, she’ll definitely react this way!

[flashback harp sounds. In Guy’s mind:]

Eh~? You ate the jelly, didn’t you? Then~ For an entire day, I’ll hate you.

[flash-forward back to reality]

She’d definitely say that!
There’s nothing scary about that, big bro.
Then… maybe it’s something like this?

[flashback harp sounds again.]

[slightly exaggerated voice] Eh~? You ate the jelly, didn’t you? Then~ I won’t be making dinner for you today~
Furthermore, for an entire day, I’ll hate you.

[flash-forward back to reality]

How about that! Horrifying, isn’t it?!
You just exaggerated the voice a little! It doesn’t feel scary in the slightest, big bro! And even if she does hate you for an entire day, that’s literally it!
If she ever said such a thing... I don't think I'd ever be able to recover… I'll simply have to go into hiding underground... even if I could never return…
Speaking of underground… Big bro, you’d have to go into hiding and live in the Geofront, then…
Uwuuu… uuu… urh… uwaaaaaahuhhuhhh…
Even so, big bro, you’d best get your spirits up. If you want to be in low spirits, then you might as well wait to get scolded.
Y-yes, you’re right.
When Cecile arrives, you should properly apologise.
[constipation noises]
Speaking of… Big bro, you’re getting way too sad over this… Could it be that big bro likes Cecile more than I thought?
What about me?

Aaaargh?!
[taken aback] A-ah, sorry, I didn’t think I would scare the both of you like that…
Cecile - how long have you been here?
Eh? I only just arrived?
S-sorry, I didn’t notice at all.
It’s no big deal. Oh, yes - what were the two of you discussing about earlier?
That… actually…
[whisper] Hurry, big bro-
Th- that… IS A SECRET BETWEEN MEN!
E-Eeeeeh?
As always, the both of you seem to have a strong bond~
[“Oh dear Aidios, I’m screwed” laughter]
I’m going to go make dinner. The both of you, please be patient.
Thanks, Cecile.

[Cecile walks away.]

*sigh* Big bro… you weren’t the slightest bit honest about it.
[whisper] Sorry! The moment I saw Cecile, I just unwittingly-
Ah, Cecile really didn’t notice, huh? But I can’t say for sure whether she’s hiding a fiery rage beneath that warm smile…
There’s a limit to how delusional a person can be, big bro. Cecile’s the same as ever.
I-Is that so?
You should quickly apologise - you can’t live in fear forever, right?
Y-yes, you’re right.
[determined] Right! Now I shall be a real man and muster the courage to issue a proper apology!
That’s the spirit! You can do it, big bro!
Leave it to me!

[Guy marches into the kitchen.]

Hey! Cecile!

Firm Strength

Yes? What’s up? Your face is really red…
Actually, yesterday --in the fridge--
[whisper] Persevere, big bro!
The-- inside the fridge--
Hm?
I-I actually discovered a bunch of mushrooms that we bought a long time ago!
DAAAAH?!
Ah, you’re right. I think I can use this for cooking. Thank you.
Yaah-- It’s not that big of a deal~ Hahaha hahahahaha!
[exasperated] Ahaha! You sly fox!

[Lloyd pinches Guy’s side.]

Ouch! Ouch, ouch! Lloyd, don’t pinch me! Your fingers! Your fingers are sinking into my waist!
Big bro, you should come into my room.
[crying] Okay.

What were you thinking?! That wasn’t even the slightest bit manly!
[dead on the inside] Maybe… I should spend the rest of my life as a girl…
GAAAH!
That’s not the issue! And I don’t want to imagine what big bro looks like dressed as a girl!
Is that so- If I wore a dress, I think I’d make for a beautiful woman.
Alright, that’s enough joking around. You know… If you don’t properly apologise to Cecile next time, I’ll come clean to her about the matter.
You can’t do that! That would DEFINITELY make her angry!
Really? Then you should quickly go and apologise to her. Come on, go now.
[defeated] Nnngh… Okay…

[Bongos from the credits of Legend of Heroes III start playing.]

Ah, can the both of you help set the table? Dinner’s almost ready.
A-ah. Before that Cecile… I have something important to tell you.
What is it?

C.P.D. −Crossbell Police Department−

Yesterday, the jelly from the hospital was left in our fridge, correct?
Ah, that’s right. I couldn’t find the jelly at my place, though. I wonder what happened?

[Guy chokes on his own lies.]

Ah- That jelly… the truth is… the truth is…
The truth is…?
The truth is that Lloyd ate the jelly.
Eh?
Eeeeeh---?!
[trying to pull a fast one] I’m apologising in place of Lloyd! Apologies!
[dying] Wait a second--!
That degenerate brother of mine! He’s gone too far this time---! The truth is, it was Lloyd’s fault!
Is that… so? Lloyd, he-
No, that’s wrong! That’s all wrong, Cecile! The jelly was eaten by big bro! Not me!
Pushing the blame onto other people is wrong, Lloyd!
[indignant] How can you have the nerve to even say such a thing---!
Um…
You’ve gone too far, big bro! Even when the situation has escalated to this point, you still aren’t willing to apologise?!
Haha, hahahaha--- I don’t know what you’re talking about! There was never a need for me to apologise to Cecile!
You’re in the wrong, so admit your mistake!
Hey, Guy?
Ah? What is it, Cecile? No problems here at all! Go ahead and reprimand Lloyd, then!
He thinks he’s getting away with this… And yet he still isn’t satisfied.
Yesterday night, Lloyd was helping me make dinner. I don’t think he could afford the opportunity to eat the jelly.
Ghgh!
Cecile!
Guy? Can you tell me the truth?
It seems the tables have turned now. Resistance is futile, big bro.
[constipation sounds]
Sorry, Cecile. It was I who ate the jelly.

[silence]

Oh… So Guy ate the jelly…
A--- ah. I ate it.
...Hmmmm?
Cecile’s expression looks really strange…
[slightly upset tone] And not only --- not only did you lie about it ---- but you pushed the blame on Lloyd…
Is it possible that Cecile is actually getting mad?
Of course she is! It’s just like I imagined!
Guy?
Yes!?
Was it tasty?
Mmm! Very tasty!
You shouldn’t just admit to that so shamelessly!
[cheery] Is that so? That’s great, then!
Eh?
C-Cecile. You’re willing to forgive me?
Mmm.

Gazing at Your Back

Thank you SO much, Cecile! We did it, Lloyd! Cecile didn’t get angry, after all!
Like I said, if you had fessed up from the beginning, she would have forgiven you.
Ha ha ha, that’s right! This is great, this is great! Cecile! Leave the plates to me!
Yes, please!
[starts humming randomly.]
Really now, it seems like it was just a false alarm. What was the point of the commotion?
[whisper] Hey, Lloyd.
What is it, Cecile?
The truth is, that jelly… was made by the children… and they gathered a bunch of insects to make it…
Eh?
After Guy ate it… His stomach wasn’t upset, was it?
That… Could it be that the reason big bro was on edge the whole day… was due to that jelly?
Cecile, would you ladle the soup for me, please~

[FIN]

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thank you for informing me this exists, I had a different one bookmarked but didnt know about this one.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

No prob. I do plan on getting around to all the Drama CDs that have been translated by other people, but don't quote me on that. And posting some of the short stories floating around the internet, mostly because I want to show all the stuff Falcom did for Zero and Azure. Plus I want to archive everything into one bundle.

Edit: Feel free to let me know if I missed any Drama CDs, short stories, etc. that have been translated.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lloyd's got layers and depth but each layer is boring. He's a 7 layer dip and each layer is french onion. Loosen up, bud.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Lloyd's got layers and depth but each layer is boring. He's a 7 layer dip and each layer is french onion. Loosen up, bud.

That seems accurate. At least XSEED gave Rean a little touch of sarcasm at times. Lloyd seems to be Rean without the sarcasm and the Dark And Edgy (But In A Cool Way) Superpower, and what's left?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Burning Hot Blood! I adore Lloyd.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh I don't hate him by any means. We could be friends. Just not close friends. I need people who can tease me right back and that's not really in his wheelhouse. Randy and Tio I could hang out with all day

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I like Estelle, Rean, and Lloyd equally so far. Rean has the most going for him, Estelle is arguably the best female protag ever, and Lloyd is neat. Shaggy Brown Haired Red Undershirt Protag Gang(Injoke with my friends about multiple of my favorite protags having this aeshetic).

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 76: “Happy-ness? Hmm, I don’t really get it.”

Click here to watch the opening for Trails From Zero Evolution!

The Special Support Section was sheltering KeA at the annex all while watching for possible retaliation from the mafia. Relying on police intelligence and even Jona’s vast information network, they carefully monitored the movements of Revache and Speaker Hartmann.

On the other hand, KeA, despite her memories not returning, quickly settled in to her new life with the Special Support Section.

And then…

Special Support Section

It took EXACTLY this long for Elie and Tio to buy her new clothing. They brought the bookshelf in first.

Also, that penguin book… :3:

They claim that a kid slipping into one of the exhibits was a mistake. And better yet, they have no idea who she is. Of course, they pointed fingers at Heiyue, but who knows what actually happened.
I’m not so sure about that theory. When we busted into the exhibit room. Yin had just defeated the mafiosos who were standing guard. I doubt he had time to bring in KeA from the outside AND replace her with the doll.
That means she was already in the trunk by the time it was sent to the mansion? And where the hell did the original doll come from in the first place?
I can't say for sure, but I've heard some say it was obtained through a Remiferian back channel… on the last day of the festival, no less. In other words, every exhibit was carried into the mansion on the same day as the auction.
Even the shipping company that transported everything says the accusations are made-up.
Made-up? Are they crazy?

I mean… no, Lloyd. They’re just covering their asses at this point. Even beyond damaging their public image, there’s going to be legal and ethical issues associated with their company. Trying to get away with it is probably the one thing they WILL attempt at this point. Even if Crossbell is Crossbell. There is something to be said if corruption is the norm for business and legal practices in an international setting, and given how corrupt Crossbell is from both an external and internal perspective, the country’s people probably just groan and move on with their day most of the time.

And there you have it. Listen. I don't know what's true or not but it's clear that Revache is desperately trying to justify what happened. After all, if they aren’t careful, they could be accused of human trafficking.
Weapons trafficking, mira laundering, and an illegal auction that deals in stolen goods… You're tellin' me that those guys will do all that stuff and not bat an eye. but human trafficking is where it crosses the line?
That goes without saying. Human trafficking falls under one of the highest classes of offense. There's no chance you'll get off lightly, given how serious it is. Not even the CPD would stay silent about it. But, more importantly, if the guild caught whiff of it, they'd eradicate you, no questions asked.
They have the honor of the supporting gauntlet to uphold, after all.
Revache couldn’t risk that large a scandal, let alone Speaker Hartmann… That excuse makes perfect sense, but to be honest, I’m not fully convinced yet.
Yeah, and that brings us to the truce. They claim that your undercover investigation was a cut and dried case of trespassing, but it sounds like they're willing to look past it. They intend to leave everything to us--even
the handling of the girl you took into custody 'by pure coincidence.’
And in exchange, we gotta accept whatever they say happened as the truth… and not snitch on them to the guild. That about sum it up?
Sounds like they’re in pretty dire straits.
...I’d rather not have any uncertainties about this situation, but… If the mafia's saying they're not going to try and take KeA back, then we might have no choice but to take them at their word.
Oh, I feel the same way. Right now, our main concern is that we have no clue where she came from.
Yeah, we haven’t gotten far in that department.
The fact that she can't remember anything 'sides her name doesn't make it any easier.
Still, you gotta admit that she's the brightest, friendliest lil' rascal you've ever met. She’s gotten pretty attached to us over the past week, hasn’t she?
Isn’t that the truth? That includes you and Zeit, too, of course.
I suppose. Children have never really been ones to approach me, ‘cause of my cigarettes. Doesn’t seem like she cares, though.
Yeah, and I think she’s already obsessed with Elle and Tio Tot. Like, I’m pretty sure they hauled in loads of clothes from Times earlier today.
Good thing we have those two. Randy and I aren’t the most detail-oriented when it comes to that stuff.
But anyway… all I can thinking about is where she could have come from.

The door to the office swings open.

Lloyd, look! Look!

Probability of Precipitation 10%

Lookie! Elie and Tio picked out a buncha clothes for me! I think they’re all cute, but this outfit’s my favorite! Whaddya think?
Well, it’s kinda hard to say with you hugging me like this.
Aw, good point.

Wow, they did good.
Would ya look at that…
Not bad.
So, you like it?!
It’s super cute, KeA. It definitely suits your personality, that’s for sure.
You think?! Randy, Chief! Do you think I’m cute, too?
Yup. Cutest girl in all of Crossbell.
It doesn’t look too shabby, kid.
Hehehe!

Elie and Tio trail in after the kid. Also, Sergei… come on, man. I know that the cigarette on your sprite is permanently glued to the underside of the mouth, but you could at least attempt to get rid of it. That can’t be healthy for you, or… well, everyone currently in the room.

We wanted her to try on the rest of the outfits, but she was restless.
Elie, Tio, guess what? Lloyd and the others said I’m cute!
Isn’t that wonderful?
I imagine Lloyd would say KeA looks cute no matter what outfit she wore.
That’s… probably true.
Haha! Would ya look at that? Lloyd’s already a dear, doting father. Hard to believe it’s already been a week since KeDo arrived.
Who knew we would win a sweet girl like her from the auction?
Oh, that reminds me… What’d you end up hearing from the department, Chief?
You said Revache is trying to extend an olive branch?
Yeah, let’s see here…
Don’t worry, I can explain everything while we have lunch.

Some time later:

Well, at least there’s some good news. Our fears of the mafia trying to bite back seem to have disappeared, at least for the time being.
However, there’s still such a fundamental issue to deal with…
Yeah, well, all the decision-making was left to us.
Right now, we should focus on her past and figuring out where she’s from…
Hey, KeA. Do you really not remember anything? Anything at all?
Umm… Nope, don’t think so.
I DO remember seeing your funny face when you found me, though! Your eyes and mouth were wiiiiide open!
*sigh*...Wait, are you talking about when we first met?
Yep. I don’t really remember anything before that.
It’ll be all right, KeA. Don’t let it get you down.
Still, not much we can do if she doesn’t remember, Lloyd.
Chief, you mentioned you were going to ask around about her, correct? Did that yield any fruit?
Ah, about that… I looked into the train station, airport, even the city exits, but no one knew anything about our mystery girl. Who knows? Maybe it’s a dead end.
There goes that plan…
...? What’s wrong, Lloyd? Does your tummy hurt or something?
No, no, I’m okay.

...would you mind if we brought KeA into the city with us?
Hmm…
Do you have any potential leads?
Sort of… I was actually thinking of asking the Bracer Guild for a favor.
The BRACER Guild?!
Why them, of all people?
The heck’s a brayser?
Clever… The guild has branches spanning the entire continent… and you want to tap into their information network.
That’s right. I think if there was ever a time to turn to it, it’d be now. So? Should we go for it?
Eh, why not? It’s not like the CPD and the guild are enemies, per se. It’s more so that most of the force harbors petty resentment against their popularity. A case is a case, and if you asked them to collaborate, I doubt they’d refuse.
That’s what I’m thinking, too.
Estelle and Joshua were pretty friendly last time we ran into ‘em, so maybe this ain’t such a bad idea.
We could certainly use the assistance. But, Lloyd… do you intend to go out with KeA alone?
That was the plan. It’d probably be overkill if we all went, so I thought I could go with her.
Unacceptable. You know how attached she is to you, and you STILL want to monopolize her?
Who said anything about monopolies?
Clever, Lloyd. Very clever. Don’t you think that everyone should have equal opportunities to bond with her?
Huh? Whatcha talking about, Tio?
That’s what I want to know, too!
That right there is pure jealousy, my friend. Just think about the last few days. Whenever it’s time to sleep, KeDo always cuddles up with you in your room!
It’s not like I ask her to! She always crawls into my bed after I fall asleep… Listen, KeA. Why don’t you start using the room we prepared for you? You don’t want it to go to waste, right?
But when I’m next to you, it makes it a lot easier to fall asleep. If it’s annoying, I guess I can stop…
N-No, I wouldn’t call it annoying…
Don’t be so inconsiderate, Lloyd. She’s probably still anxious from everything that happened to her, no?
All she wants is the security of sleeping next to someone.
Wh-What do you want from me?!
Heh. Cut the girl some slack, kid. But as for going outside, you should at least take someone else with you. Sure, Revache is reaching out to the department, but for the time being, I think it’d be better to stay on your toes.
You really think…?

We have a brief little intermission here to get to know KeA. You can probably tell that she’s kinda maybe tangentially related to the plot? I mean, if this was a Final Fantasy game, she’d either be relegated to an NPC position in the middle of nowhere, or being attacked by monsters. Or Relm.

First order of business is to take someone with us. Obviously, we’ll be taking Elie for maximum relationship points, but Tio and Randy are here too. We can’t forget about them, of course.

The Bracer Guild is over on East Street. You know, maybe detours aren’t the best idea this time around.
But then again, it might help jog KeA’s memories. As long as we’re careful, it should be all right to stop by other places after the guild.
Oh, I didn’t even think of that.
So, KeA, shall we be off?
Yep!
Uh, where are we going again?
It’s called the Bracer Guild. Have you heard of it before?
Brayser… Hmm, are the people there kinda like superheroes?
You’ve heard of it? Maybe she retained some common knowledge, after all.
Yes, it looks like she has.
Hehehe. I dunno why we have to go there, but… if I’m with you two, I’d go anywhere!

KeA begins sparkling.

Oooooh, how is she THIS cute?!
C’mon, let’s go!

I know you said taking detours might be dangerous, Elie… but we’re going to take ALL the detours. Lloyd’s (definitely not) adopted kid needs to see all the sights in Crossbell. All of them! That includes the Geofront where obese bats and ice-element slimes await to shred children to pieces!

Kid’s gotta know where and where not to go. We need to be responsible adults here.

Imagine this: a picture-perfect morning - blue skies, a sunny day, and the smell of… well, light pollution because this is Crossbell City. And then KeA hopping on Zeit and going to school among fluttering fall leaves.

And then Lloyd ruins it by honking on the horn of his car and telling KeA that he’ll drop her off before giving Zeit the Look. A picture-perfect morning.

It’s worth noting that there aren’t any normal Support Requests during the intermission. Instead, any requests that we CAN take are hidden around Crossbell City. All quests get automatically reported at the end of the chapter, so we’ll have to wait and see what rewards we get, if any.

But you know what? Let’s spend our first part of the day showing KeA around Crossbell, and the numerous people that live in it. We briefly saw it at the beginning of this update, but let’s check out KeA’s room again, located at the end of the 3rd floor hallway.

I still gotta show you all the pretty clothes I can wear! Elie and Tio went and bought me a ton of cute clothes and stuff.
Good idea, KeA. I still want to have a little more fun planning all of your outfits… like this blouse, for example!
N-No, that’s fine. Can we save it for a cloudy day? We’ve got some work to take care of.
(Besides, we’d probably be here for hours…)
Still, this room turned out pretty well. Cleaning and dusting everything took a long time, but the furniture Elie found looks great.
Doesn’t it? Not bad for mainly being old things from my home. I do feel a little bad, though. This was my parents’ furniture, so it’s all much too big for little KeA…
Don’t worry about it. They’re perfect.
(Though, once we figure out KeA’s identity, we’ll have to send her back to her parents… But until then, I want to make KeA feel at home here.)

We can also talk to the kitty I haven’t fed once since I started this LP. It’s also stuck meowing forever on this rooftop, not being able to move a muscle. A horrid fate. Who’s a good kitty that’s superglued to the roof? Yes you are. Yes you are!

Now, while I haven’t fed Coppe at all, if you’ve given the cat a fish every chapter, he ends up coughing up a Gemini quartz (halves arte casting time) like a hairball in the Epilogue. That would’ve been nice for Tio to hold onto.

Anyway, it’s time for KeA to make her debut! It’s Crossbell time!

Hey, Lloyd! Are all these people your friends?
N-No, I’m afraid not. That’d be impossible. Besides, this is nothing compared to how it was during the Anniversary Festival…
Does this mean she’s not from Crossbell City after all?

The SSS watches as a car drives by.

That’s a car, KeA. Is that the first time you’ve seen one?
I think so, but I’m not sure! Hehe! So it’s a car? Vroom-vroom! You guys have one, too, right?
Sadly, we don’t.
Aw, okay. I just thought it would be a lot of fun if we could ride in one together.
Me, too. I REALLY envy the First Division. But I suppose we can discard the possibility of her being Crossbellan, now.
Yeah. You can’t grow up in Crossbell and NOT know what a car is. (Then again, it’s not like the concept of a car is completely alien to her. But what does that mean?)
What’s wrong, Lloyd? Aren’t we going to say hello to the braces people?
You mean the bracers? If so, yes.
Shall we head to East Street, then?

Vetoed. What this update IS about is showing KeA all around Crossbell. Or, that’s my excuse for ending this update by talking to NPCs anyway.

Glad to see you’re still kicking! Woohoo!
Woohoo! This place is amazing!

Wendy falls silent as she stares at KeA.

Once again, KeA chimes in with perfect timing…
Oh, who’s this? She’s as cute as a button!
Haha. So we’ve heard.
Hey, don’t go thinking that I only admire orbal tech, got it? But, I’m shocked… Who knew that you were so dependable, Lloyd?
Huh…? How so?
The SSS is watching over a kid that got lost during the Anniversary Festival, right? Ahah! That must be the reason why I haven't seen you in over a week.
(She’s not technically wrong…)
Her name is KeA. We're actually looking into who she is, at the moment.
Haha, I was right on the mark. Hmm, don't think I have any leads for you though… But, if you need help. just gimme a shout! I've got a little sister, so I've gotten pretty used to taking care of kids, y'know?
I appreciate it, Wendy. If we ever need a babysitter, I'll know who to call.

Library:

Uhh… have you always been a fan of books, KeA?
Hmm… I don’t really get them, but I still like them! I get excited looking at all the pretty colors on the covers!
We should come back when we have more time and take a good look at them. Our library has a large selection of children’s books for KeA to read through.

Can I read them?!
Ohoho, who do we have here? You like reading books, missy?
Yeah, probably! I get excited looking at all the pretty colors on the covers!
Oh, yeah! I totally understand where you’re coming from. In fact, I love books so much that I became a librarian.
...?
You should check out some books for her, Lloyd. I’ll even let you check out more than the limit usually allows, too.
S-Sure. Thanks, Uncle.
(I’m glad we get to experience the perks of Lloyd’s uncle being a librarian.)

Mariabell?!
Rather unusual to see you here, Bell.
Don’t mind me. I come here on my occasional day off from work. There’s a trove of knowledge here not found on the orbal network. I’d be a fool to not make use of it.
I-I think I’ve been underestimating you this whole time.
Studious as ever, I see.
I could say the same about you, Elie.
That’s not important, though.
(*stare*) Hey. Hey, Lloyd! Who’s the lady? Do you know her?
Y-Yeah, I guess you could say that.
I’ve already been made aware of the little one’s circumstances. She is the ‘doll’ they planned to exhibit at the auction, right?
What?!
How do you know about that, Bell?
*sigh* Wouldn't it be stranger for me to NOT know? Think about the mess you made at the auction. And besides, I managed to catch a glimpse of you escaping from afar. Between that and the information trickling
in over the week, it's not hard to put the pieces together.
I-I can’t deny your reasoning. Hey, Mariabell… Will you do us a solid and--
Naturally. Perhaps it was more than a mere coincidence for me to be present during the whole...situation. so to speak. And, for the record, mg door is always open to all of you, should you need any advice for your troubles.
Thanks, Mariabell.
I appreciate it, Bell.
...?

While going to the library is good and all… we can also head all the way on the other side of the morality spectrum and start gambling. You gotta get the kids into roulette and blackjack and poo poo at an early age, after all.

Side note that Harold’s family is doing well. Good for him.

Residential District:

Yo, missy. We meet again! ♪
C’mere! How’ve you been?

Lechter gave KeA a pat on the head.

Heehee, that tickles!
You’re still in Crossbell, Lechter… And to no one’s surprise, you’re still fishing.
I have no polite way to phrase this, but just exactly who are you?
Whaddaya mean? I'm me! I'm just a simple Erebonian--and the rest of my profile is redacted!
(I don’t think that’s going to fool anyone…)
Hehehe! I knew it. You’re a total weirdo! I don’t mind, though. Did you know, mister? I can’t remember anything. The first thing I remember is seeing Lloyd. I don't really get it. but it feels like I've been lost in a dream.
I see. I didn’t know that, missy.
That ain’t so bad, though, is it? That’s probably what you’d call ‘happiness.’ It’s a great word. You should remember it.
Happy-ness? Hmm, I don’t really get it. It’s okay, though. I’m having fun.
Yep. Still don’t really get it, but I’ll remember it, mister!
Hahaha, what’s that even supposed to mean? ♪
(Those two are somehow on the same wavelength...)
(W-Well, it seems like KeA’s taken a liking to him…)

Visiting Ian Grimwood’s office reveals that he’s on a business trip. So no introducing KeA to the lawyer friend just yet. Or rather, the lawyer’s immaculately groomed beard.

What ARE available, though, are Chapter 11 of Back Alley Doctor Glenn and the Crossbell Times, issue 6. So let’s check those out briefly…

Crossbell Times 6 posted:

She told us that the IBC will be turning its attention toward resort management and conducting orbal network research over the next two years.

Following the announcement, stocks became more turbulent. 'I'm worried about future business developments,' said a local investor. 'Stock prices are still shifting. I couldn't take my eyes off of them in the last few days,' said a major securities trader. Inquiries from foreign businesses are flooding in, and it seems this will continue for a while.

[Politics] Budget Deliberations Draw Near

The diet will soon hold a session to deliberate on financial allocations in Crossbell. The focus this fiscal year will be on funding for public projects associated with the fifth stage of the urban development plan. This also concerns the construction of the new unnamed City Hall building, which was previously delayed. As it ties into the quality of public services, this session cannot be ignored by the citizens. How will it unfold?

[Society] A Disturbance at Mishelam?

Reports say multiple men went wild on the streets of Mishelam Resort on the final day of the Anniversary Festival. Apparently, some visitors suffered minor injuries after being chased by several large dogs. The police stated that 'it's under investigation,' but it's already been one week since the incidents without any updates.

[Intl.] Seek Respite at Imperial Capital's Hotels

The operator of many top hotels has recently opened an exclusive nightclub in an affluent district of the Imperial capital, Neue Blanc. 'We would love for all of you to come and visit,' said a representative of Crimson & Co., behind the project. It is a hot call for Crossbell investors.

[Notice] Crossbell State Tourism Guide Incoming!

This very news service will soon publish a tourism guide detailing many famous sights and locations throughout Crossbell that thoroughly convey our local charms. When will it be published? That will be revealed in a future issue.

Back Alley Doctor Glenn - Ch. 11 posted:

'You should reconsider, Hugo,' interjected Rufus. His eyes were cold, as if to scold Glenn. 'A...procedure to cure it without losing your hands, eh? The surgical procedure you attempted on Katarina? You should know better than anyone what a failure that was.' Hugo flinched at the anger in his voice.

Without saying anything, Glenn produced the file. 'This is what I've researched in the ten years since I've become a back alley doctor.' He said this and tossed the file to Rufus. Rufus was surprised at how heavy it was.

There was an enormous amount of research about crystallization inside. Clinical records, medical cases, reports of procedures and results... It was obvious some materials were illegally obtained. Then, on the final page...a new procedure was described, different from the one Rufus knew of.

'Being able to attempt it with Katarina on back then... It's all thanks to her.' Glenn said no more. It was clear he had continued fighting the crystallization disease for a long time, even after deviating from lawful practice. After years of treating patients as a back alley doctor, he was able to perfect a new procedure.

'Because my beloved Glenn will surely succeed...' Realizing her sister's words were right, Sherry suddenly teared up.

'By doing it this way, the probability of saving the patient's life will indeed be high,' said Rufus after reading the file quickly. He could see the effectiveness of Glenn's technique. Even Hugo cheered up as he listened. 'Still, I can't hand my patient over to you.'

'Wh-Why?!' Sherry asked, bewildered. Rufus glared at Glenn, still silent.

'I already heard from Sherry that Katarina faced this dangerous surgery to give you more experience. But you, unable to bear her death, ran away from the hospital. Katarina had the resolve to sacrifice her own life, but in truth, you had none. I can't entrust the surgery to you.'

Glenn closed his eyes and reflected. It hurt because it was true. 'Yes, it's as you say. As a doctor, I hadn't even the bare minimum of resolve. As a result, I ended up a back alley doctor. But you know what? Thanks to my experiences, I've also learned a few things.'

As he finished saying that, he moved his hand to his hip. He felt the cold, hard shape of the concealed object, grasped it tightly, and pulled it out.

Pointed right at the tip of Rufus' nose, a Reinford-made orbal gun reflected the light of the setting sun flowing into the room.

The air in the room was instantly frozen.

'Are you threatening me?' Looking at the gun in defiance, Rufus couldn't hide his trembling. Glenn grinned wryly and put his finger on the trigger.

In an instant, he reversed the grip. The muzzle spun around, and the situation flipped.

'Since the patient bears a risk of dying, I, as a doctor, should also bear a suitable risk. If the surgery does not succeed, kill me with this.'

Glenn's words spoke true of his nature. Here was the unique resolve he, a doctor of the underworld, had built. The room stood in heavy silence before Rufus' answer.

He calmly closed his eyes behind his rims...then grasped the grip of Glenn's gun.

'Very well, Glenn. Your resolve seems to be real. If that procedure saves Hugo's life, I'll bet on it, too.'

And… Oh, my. Who’s this little bundle of sunshine?
This is KeA. She’s actually going to be staying with us at the annex for a while.
Hiya, miss! You’ve got SO many books here! I’m jealous!
Oh, are you? Do you like to read, KeA? My husband and I do, too. He even works over at the library.
Lie-berry? I think I’ve been to one of those before! Lloooyd! I wanna go to the library again!
I know you do, but I'm not sure if we should make any detours now.
Oh, come on, Lloyd. KeA was so ecstatic when we went last time, remember?
When did we all become her parents…?
Oh, Lloyd. Most people would love to be in your position.
KeA, please make sure to come visit again. Auntie Leyte will read all sorts of books with you.
I’d love that! See ya, auntie!
Until next time, sweetie.
(Makes sense that Aunt Leyte would be used to handling kids. She'd always look after me, after all.)

Alllll right, just a few more stops now.

No, not there… maybe let’s not have KeA learn from Ilya.

It’s good to see you.
Hey, Rixia. I heard you moved into a place downtown. So this is it?
That’s right. The rent was pretty cheap, so it’s a no-brainer. Oh, um… Who’s the child with you?
We’re taking care of her due to--
Whoaaaaaaaa…
Hey, Lloyd! Check out her boobies! They’re huuuuuuge!
K-KeA! That’s not very polite.
H-Hey, KeA! That wasn’t very nice of you! Sorry for her rudeness, Rixia.
N-No. It’s quite all right. So you’re KeA, right? I’m Rixia Mao. It’s nice to meet you.
Yeah! You, too!

Two more stops before we wrap this update up. First, we’ll pay a visit to Wald before checking in with Fran and her mom. We probably shouldn’t take KeA anywhere within twenty feet of Wald, but gently caress it…

Hey, punk. You up for a fight?
Why do you always have to be so hostile?
But anyway, are you having a party? You know the festival ended not that long ago, right?
*stare*
Hey, Lloyd. Are you friends with this guy? His hair looks like a chicken! Ahahaha!
Hey, KeA! You can’t just yell that out!
Hahaha! You sure got some guts, kid. Listen up, kid. My hair ain't just some ordinary chicken. It’s the almighty phoenix!

...Wald was bullied when he was KeA’s age, wasn’t he?

(If you're so proud of your hair, then why didn't you name your gang the Saber Phoenixes?)

C’mon, Lloyd. Everyone knows that vipers are better than phoenixes. If there’s anything I learned from college, it’s that a phoenix is a pigeon that got doused in gasoline and lit aflame by a zippo lighter. That’s how mythology works, right?

On my way back to East Street, I ended up stopping by to say hello to the elderly couple Lloyd sat across from during the train ride at the beginning. Ultimate Mix restore 40% HP and increases ATS by 50%. The ULTIMATE JUICE made from the best ingredients.

Wha?! KeA?!
Oh, so this must be where your family lives, huh, Fran?
Are you taking the day off?
Yep! I finally get to use a vacation day, now that the festival’s finally over… But I never would have guessed I’d be visited by the lovely KeA today! We've only spoken to each other through the terminal, so this is our first meeting in person, right? Welcome to my house!
Thanks! But Fran, you’re wearing totally different clothes than when I see you on the terminal… I think you look really cute in pink.
Th-Thank you, KeA. You're waaay cuter than I am, though. I'm amazed by how absolutely adorable you are when I'm not looking at you through some hunk of metal.
You. Are. So. Cute. Cute! Cuuuuuuute!
(...) L-Lloyd! I wanna walk through the city with KeA, too! Please, oh, pleeease take me with you!

Fran looks at them with puppy eyes.

D-Deep breaths, Fran.
I hate to break it to you, but we have plans after this… I promise we’ll find some time for you and KeA to hang out, okay?
Aw, darn. It’s a promise then, okay?!
I’ll be sure to go on walks and play a lot with you next time, KeA. Okay?

We’ll end there for today. I think we’ve gotten KeA acquainted with Crossbell for now. Next time, we tackle some hidden support requests floating somewhere around yonder in the city!

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
gently caress YOU AND YOUR FIFENALL CARDS!

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Poor neglected Coppe!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I will say that KeA is not annoying or tiresome, which is a credit, because I usually find "cute kids" to be annoying and/or tiresome. I don't know why or how the last letter is capitalized, but okay.

Part of me wishes I could play the game. The other part is screaming in terror at the idea of talking to so many NPC's each time the plot updates.

Typos:

1)
I’m not so sure about that theory. When we busted into the exhibit room. Yin had just defeated the mafiosos who were standing guard. I doubt he had time to bring in KeA from the outside AND replace her with the doll.

Should probably be: I doubt he had time to bring in KeA from the outside AND replace the doll with her.

2)
But, more importantly, if the guild caught whiff of it, they'd eradicate you, no questions asked.

3)
Sounds like they’re in pretty dire straits.

4)
Doesn’t seem like she cares, though.

5)
(Makes sense that Aunt Leyte would be used to handling kids. She'd always look after me, after all.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I will say that KeA is not annoying or tiresome, which is a credit, because I usually find "cute kids" to be annoying and/or tiresome. I don't know why or how the last letter is capitalized, but okay.

Part of me wishes I could play the game. The other part is screaming in terror at the idea of talking to so many NPC's each time the plot updates.

Honestly, if you find yourself able to, you should. I personally like the Crossbell duology more than the Liberl trilogy for a few reasons. For starters, it feels like you're actually accomplishing stuff. FC was ok about it, but SC you were running after everyone's coat tails and the plot of TC is literally "spinning your wheels and like, a butt load of foreshadowing". And with a smaller main cast, you get to see a lot more playfulness and character development. I can't think of a single scene in Liberl that matched the energy of Lloyd and Tio in the Geofront, for example.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Fixed (for the most part)! Thanks a lot.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 77: “I have no intention of siding with the Republican Faction. Nor do I intend to with the Imperial Faction.”

Our first stop for today leads us to Mayor MacDowell’s office for a bit of a pow-wow. We’ll be tackling this request first, since it’s probably the most interesting out of the three, and we actually see the Imperial faction doing poo poo for once instead of relying on Revache to take out the trash and wash the dishes. Uh, figuratively speaking.

My apologies, Grandfather. I’ve done a poor job of keeping in contact with you lately.
Thanks for helping us out. Your blessing saved us. How will we ever repay you?
Oh, that? Think nothing of it. All I did was demand a detailed explanation from any diet member involved with the auction.
That’s not true. You were able to put a damper on the speaker’s actions.
Well, at any rate… You have our gratitude, sir.
| feel as if your praise is undeserved. It's the least I could do for saving my life.

Off-related note: I found this thing on my hard drive that somehow survived all the way back from 2018. You’re welcome. Warning: this is canon.

Ah, yes. Her name’s KeA.
Nice to meetcha, Gramps! Your face looks cool! It’s filled with white hair!
Cool… you say? Hahaha! What an interesting lady! She’s bright and cheery, yet she has a mysterious charm to her.
Are you looking into her identity? I heard about the memory loss.
Yes, for the time being.
We intend to request the Bracer's Guild cooperation in investigating her identity.
Hmm, sounds like you're exploring multiple avenues. Hopefully, your extended search leads to good results. Feel free to consult with me if you run into any trouble. My door is always open to all of you. I may be a worthless old man who is usually bound to his own obligations… but I don’t mean to treat the matter lightly. I will not overlook the fools that intended on hurting an innocent child.
Grandfather…
Thanks for the kind words, sir. I needed the encouragement.
You’re pretty cool, Gramps!

Evil ominous music intensifies. *gasp* “Oh, no! What will we ever do! KeA, sweetie? Can you hand over that fire extinguisher.

(Speaker Hartmann!)

Lloyd and Elie scoot KeA to the side as the Empire Faction barges through.

As you can see, I’m busy with guests.
My most sincere apologies. I have some pressing concerns to discuss with you. I’d like you to reexamine the Imperial government’s proposal.
We already spoke of this.
I understand your point, but I’d like you to consider my position. Or, do you intend to take advantage of the situation to conspire with Campbell and his men?
Perish the thought. I have no intention of siding with the Republican Faction. Nor do I intend to with the Imperial Faction.
Fine, then. Let’s see you demonstrate that balanced approach of yours. Ruining my humble party has been a detriment for the entire state. I’d love to hear your plan to reverse the damages.
It seems I must have another discussion with you.
I'm sorry, everyone. I know you came all the way out here to visit me, but I have important matters to discuss with Speaker Hartmann.
N-No, it’s quite all right. You don’t have to worry yourself about us.
We’ll see you again, Grandfather.
See you again, Gramps!

Right. It’s a scene I’ve seen countless times over.
It’s reprehensible. How can the man responsible for hosting the Schwarze Auction be so shameless.
It’s a testament to his confidence that the entire situation won’t blow up into a scandal. He’s more brutal than the mafia in some ways.
Heeey, Lloyd. Don’t you think Gramps is pretty strong?
Strong? What makes you say that?
Well, that snobby old guy brought all of his friends, right? Didn’t he bring them because he thought he’d lose if he faced Gramps alone?
When you put it that way…
The speaker’s henchmen seemed to be influential members of the Imperial Faction. I think I see what you mean.
Maybe we were a bit naive to underestimate someone as experienced as the mayor.
(I still wish we could find a way to help him, though.)

What happened in the mayor’s office?
Umm…

I saw what happened. Speaker Hartmann stormed into the mayor’s office with his cronies, right? I’ve seen it happen plenty of times, but I felt a bit more worried than usual.
Oh, that?
I’m worried like you are, but… He’s my grandfather, so I know he’ll be fine.
I see. It’s an unfortunate situation, but employees of City Hall are sadly powerless at times like these. I would like to offer the mayor something as a token or our appreciation.
No doubt about it. We feel the same way, too.
Why don’t we give something nice to Gramps? Couldn’t we treat him to something tasty that he likes?
Y-Yeah, that’s a pretty good idea.
I’m sure he would love to indulge in his favorite food.
What a great idea. That being said… It’s fine if you don’t have the time, but would you be willing to go out and buy the mayor’s favorite drink? You should be able to purchase it at the juice stall near the fountain.
Yeah, no problem. A task that simple isn’t a bother to us. On that note, do you happen to know what the drink in question is?
I’m not entirely sure, but I heard it’s not on the menu. I believe they sell a few secret items. The clerk should have no problems helping you out with it.
Sounds like a plan, then. We’ll go to the juice stall near the fountain and see what we can do.
Let’s go!

All right. Just gotta grab a drink for the mayor, then. Easy enough. No requests in this franchise are as easy as they could be, let’s be honest here.

A quick trip outside, and… yep! The juice vendor ain’t here. That would’ve been too easy. Really, we just need to run over to the other side of the city. It could be worse… like collecting three rare items within a certain time limit so that the mayor can get his extra swole protein shake in time.

I’ll paraphrase this part, since there’s not much going on here - essentially, Lloyd wonders if he was imagining the juice stall here, Elie confirms that it was, and they discuss how they probably relocated to another location in the city.

Said location is on Station Street. Not a bad location. Gotta get any leftover stragglers from Erebonia or Calvard before they get on the train, I guess. Granted, I’m not sure how many would be left after two weeks.

Come for a refreshing drink?
Look! It’s the juice lady!
You’re usually set up around the fountain in the Administrative District, right?
Well, yes, but I like to switch things up every now and then. Nothing beats a little change of scenery… With the exception of paying customers, of course! What would you like?
Sorry to disappoint, but…

They explained that they dropped by to pick up the mayor’s usual order.

In that case, give me a minute to whip up his favorite.

Fade to black.

Here you go!

Swole health juice GET.

I do know that my grandfather loves bitter flavors, but this is a bit much…
This particular shake eliminates fatigue in no time flat, but people complained about the bitterness. That’s why it’s not listed on the menu anymore.
You know, I made extra. Would you like to give it a taste?
Umm, well…

Aidios, protect me.
O-Okay. Just a sip, though.
There’s no harm in it. (And I suppose I am curious as to why Grandfather enjoys it as much as he does.)

Nervously, Lloyd and Elie put samples of the acerbic tomato shake to their lips and took a little sip.

Everyone’s CP is restored!

*cough* *cough* W-Wow. I’ve never felt this, uh, refreshed before. Still not sure if that’s good or bad, though.
This intense bitterness must be… *cough* ...an acquired taste.
Hahaha! I know, right?
Oooh, I wanna try it, too.

KeA grabbed what was left of the acerbic tomato shake and put the straw in her mouth.

Don’t do it!
*sluuuurp* *glug* *glug*
Aaaaah! Sooo goood!
D-Did she just finish it off?
She made it look like it was nothing…
Huh? Why? It’s a little bitter, but it’s still good, right?
As long as you like it, there’s nothing to worry about.
Impressive. You’re a brave one, aren’t you?
Isn’t that the truth? Anyway, thanks for everything. I’m sure the mayor will be happy, too. Oh, and we’ll pay you for our samples. How much do we owe you?
Zilch. Today’s special, so it’s on the house. It’s the least I can do for my favorite regular. Give him this shake as a token of my gratitude, okay?
You’re sure? All right, then. Thank you.
We’ll make sure to pass along the kind words, too.

Back at City Hall:

How dare he refuse the proposal our glorious speaker went to great lengths to write up?!
Well, no matter. We’ve succeeded in proving our point. We’ll prepare the usual to deal with Campbell and his men.
Our real problem right now is Revache’s incompetence.
R-Right!
I think a friendly ‘reminder’ of how the speaker’s efforts alone brought them fame is in order.
I’ll respectfully decline. I don’t intend on meeting Marconi for a while. More importantly, we need to hold a meeting later tonight. Inform all members of the Imperial Faction.
As you wish, sir!
We’ll issue an emergency meeting!

Let’s meet Grandfather while we have the chance and give him the drink.

Oh, you’re back again. My apologies for earlier.

Is everything all right, Grandfather?
I’m fine, thank you. I’ve become talented at managing their persistence. By the way, is something the matter? Have you forgotten a possession?
No, not quite… Hey, Kea. Go ahead and give it to him.
Okay!

KeA handed the specially made acerbic tomato shake over to Mayor MacDowell.

Oh… This is my favorite drink. Did you go out of your way to purchase this for me?
Yep, it’s our treat to you! You look like you’ve been working really hard, Gramps!
Oh…
Yeah, the receptionist suggested we order this for you. The clerk that runs the juice stall was nice enough to give it to us for free, too.
I see… Indeed, I am most appreciative of this fantastic gift. Thank you, Lloyd and Elie. And not to mention, KeA. I feel completely rejuvenated, thanks to you. I’ll be able to work hard through the afternoon.
Don’t use this as an excuse to overwork yourself, Grandfather.
Oh, that reminds me. I have something to give you in return for the pleasant treat.

:toot:

Nonsense. I have no use for it. It makes perfect sense for you to take it. You’re constantly putting yourselves in the face of danger. Please, don’t be shy.
I understand, sir.
Heehee. We’ll gladly accept them, Grandfather.
Thank you, Gramps!

Well, that was a nice diversion from our main objective. Our reward for this quest is 5 DP and 2000 mira. Might as well drop that info here, since the SSS computer is down.

While we’re in the area, we’ll stop by the CPD’s HQ in order to pick up compensation from filling out data on monsters and starting the Wanted Monster request for the Intermission. The monster we need to body this time around is back in the Geofront near Station Street.

Also, we’re going to bring KeA along. Why not? Gotta get kids into monster slaying and poo poo at an early age, after all.

It’s easy enough to find the monster - we just need to pop down the elevator and head back to where we rescued the kids back in the Prologue. The world’s largest household pest is just chillin’ down here. No biggie.

That said... I’m not gonna bother going over what the Wanted Monster does. It’s a pretty easy fight, and the thing only has one attack anyway. The only thing you have to worry about during this fight is making sure it doesn’t immediately pop off KeA’s head like a buff raccoon tearing asunder your childhood action figure.

4 DP and 3000 mira are our rewards here.

In any case, that concludes our quest proceedings today. We technically have one more quest left for the intermission, but that’ll have to come next time. For now, I’ll see you later as we pick up with the plot (briefly) and see what’s up with the Bracer Guild.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What's with Zemuria and tomatoes?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Acerbic Tomato has slowly grown to infest all nearby regions. Soon it will devour the entirety of Zemuria.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heh, the mayor's favorite drink is V8. My own grandfather used to drink that stuff. That brings back memories.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's what gives nutjobs in Zemuria the bright idea to release a world-ending monstrosity every couple years or so. Honestly, it's a hallucinogenic bio weapon waiting to happen.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 29, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only monster type I will always go out of my way to destroy, as tomatoes are a blight on society

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tomatoes are key ingredients in many tasty sauces, so they are in fact good.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only monster type I will always go out of my way to destroy, as tomatoes are a blight on society

Your sins and bad opinions will ketchup to you at some point

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If I have to stand tall and be the only one to speak truth, so be it. I will stand tall and fight so that the truth may be revealed. I will not back down because I HAVE VERY STRONG OPINIONS ON THE MOST MEANINGLESS THINGS!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you say tomartian, I say tomartian

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
No, the a is pronounced like in potato, not potato

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 78.1: “Maybe Aidios really did have a hand in leading KeA into our arms.”

Don’t be shy now, I’m not gonna bite! Welcome to the Bracer Guild.

Lloyd, Elie, and KeA approach the front desk.

We do apologize for the sudden visit.
I’m surprised to see y’all in here. Then again, Crossbell’s been having its fair share of surprises these days.
Tell me, though. Are you guys okay? A little birdie told me you guys were being naughty with Revache.
I figured you’d already heard about it… That mess has been settled… for now.

Hey, Lloyd! Why the heck’s this guy talking all funny?
K-Kea, that was rude of you…
S-Sorry about her, Michel. She’s still just a kid, and she doesn’t quite grasp the whole concept of ‘manners’ yet…
Ohoh, the little kitten has claws. Listen, dear. Everyone has their own style. Their own moxie. Their own pizzazz! And as for me, little one, I’ve found that this style suits me best. Just as that outfit suits you. Simply adorable! Tell me, does that make sense?
Hmmm, I think so! Thanks, Grampy! Besides, I like how you talk. It’s cute and nice and super pizzazz-y!
Oh, I like you! However, I’m not sure if I quite like ‘Grampy…’ I’d much rather you just call me Michel.
Okay! Sorry, Michel.
She’s a good one, this girl. A friend of yours, I presume?
Well, about that… We actually wanted to talk to the guild about her.
Us…?

Hey there, you two.
Thanks for your help last week.
No problem, but this is rare. You guys hardly ever visit the guild.
Oooh, ooh, don’t tell me! You came here to hang out with us, right?!
Hold on a gosh darn second. Who’s the kid?

Is she okay? Do you know her? Can I keep her?
Yeah, she’s okay. Her name’s KeA. And as for the last question, I’m not sure I can answer that…
I like that your hair keeps jumping up and down, miss! It looks fun! Are you one of those bracer people?
Yup! I’m Estelle. And this here is Joshua. Kea, right? Nice to meetcha!
You, too!
Aaaaand they’re already best friends.

In a mirror universe next door, there is an Estelle Alter who locks up cute kids in her basement as part of her evil bracer duties, I’m sure. And let’s not get into the depravities of supervillain Cassius Bright or goatee Lloyd...

If there’s one good thing to come out of that, it’s that Evil Anelace tossed Falcom’s staff into the pit that they dug for her after Trails in the Sky the 3rd instead of the other way around. Somehow. Also, Giliath Osborne fulfilling the idiot shonen anime protagonist quota for that universe.

That sounds in-character for Estelle.
So, back on topic. You wanted our advice? What seems to be the issue? Would the second floor be more appropriate?
Yeah, as long as it’s not a hassle.
And it’s about her?
Must be. You seem on edge, Lloyd.

N-No way…
I knew that the Back Alley felt sketchier than usual this past week, but… who knew?
Goodness gracious. To think that things have fallen this low…
Trust me. we understand. And, representing the police, policy dictates we accept the reason they came up with for now. Try to keep that in mind, please.
Hmmm…
Oh, well. We ARE only consultants in this situation, unfortunately. Even so, taking matters into your own hands and investigating the Schwarze Auction undercover? I liked the SSS before, but I respect you now.
R-Really? Thanks, I guess.
Same here. We tried so hard to figure out how to check it out, but we kept hitting roadblocks. And you're telling us that it was Renne, of all people, who gave you the invitation...?
That little punk…! She could’ve saved us the trouble and just given it to us!

I’m sure she had her reasons. We’ve never really dealt with anything like this before.
W-Well, be that as it may…
I’m sorry if we stepped on any toes. I promise that wasn’t our intention. We should’ve contacted you, at the very least.
Don’t sweat it. We’re all in the same boat, anyway. I’m just worried about KeA, that’s all.
But, yeah. She’s a real mystery.
Agreed.
Me? A mystery? That sounds spooky.
Now, Lloyd. I assume you want me to look into her family? Using the guild’s connections, that is.
Yes, if possible. That’s the reason we came. How much do you normally charge for something like this?
Cease your thoughts immediately. In cases like these, consider it on the house. I’ll contact our other branches right away and see what we ccan dig up.
Th-Thank you!
I was expecting a bit more pushback…
Hey. 'Act now and adjust later!' is our motto when it comes to stuff like this.
Really. Don’t worry. We have plenty of funds for these kinds of situations. Don’t hold back on our account, guys.
That’s reassuring.
The bracers really have their priorities set when it comes to helping civilians.
It’ll be some time before I hear anything back, though. You can probably expect an answer from us in a week or so.
That’s perfectly okay. I’m just glad you were able to help us out.

For nwo, we can pull all her living expenses from our public protection fund.
You can?!
We’d be more than happy. Besides, wouldn’t she be safer under the protection of the guild? If things get dicey, we can always arrange for her to take shelter outside of Crossbell.
B-But, that would mean…

All right, hypothetical - you are Estelle Bright and there’s a child you can potentially take custody of. You can pick ONE out of three options. Which do YOU pick?

A) Go to Crossbell Court.
B) Hit Lloyd with a REALLY big stick and kidnap KeA.
C) Ask KeA if she wants to room with them.

Does your tummy hurt?
No, I’m fine, but… ...they have a point. It's extremely possible that KeA came from somewhere other than Crossbell. And, putting her safety above all else…
You’re right, Lloyd.
Hmm...?
Hey, um, KeA? Would you be okay with living us for a while?
With you two? Oh, I get it. You want to come live at the Special Support Section building?
Uh, not exactly. I was actually wondering if you wanted to move over here?
With Lloyd and everyone, too?
No, sorry. That would be sorta complicated… But. they aren't far away! If you ever want to see them, I could totally walk you over.

Ouch!
KeA…
Who cares about safety? I'm not leaving Lloyd and everyone else. No matter what. Elie and Tio and Randy and Zeit. even the grumpy chief! There's no way I'm leaving them. Nope. Not gonna happen.
K-Kea, sweetie… *wipes tears*
Y-Yeah? That’s fine, too…
Rejected. That doesn’t happen often.
Poor Estelle. Cheer up, dearie. Or were you sure it would go the other way?
N-No! I’m not shocked or hurt or extremely sad at all. No, siree. *sigh* Okay, maybe a little bit…
I’m sorry, Estelle. Please don’t think I hate you or anything… But, if I don’t wanna, I don’t wanna.
No, no, you’re right. I was being insensitive. The Special Support Section is… well, special. And if she loves you guys this much, what kind of monster would I be to tear you all apart?
Haha. I don’t even know when she became so attached to us. It’s possible that we remind her of someone she knows, but given her amnesia… I’m not sure if that’s helpful information.
Something just hit me. Perhaps you could go further than just having Michel look into her identity. Don’t you think you should consult with some sort of expert on amnesia?
That… never occurred to me.
An expert?
Well, assuming her amnesia is related to something emotional or mental… you might want to check out the church.
You think?
That’s actually a great idea.
Church? What church?
The Septian Church, dear. Modern medicine might have found its footing in Crossbell, but… of matters related to the soul, the good men and women in the church might be your best option.
For sure! The Bracer Guild gets help from them all the time!
Seriously?
It’s true. They’ve… definitely helped me through some rough spots in the past. Of course, I have no clue whether someone of that level works at the cathedral, but it still may be worth the shot. Why don’t you ask over there, too?
We definitely will. Thanks for the advice, guys.
Hey, Kea. Once we leave here, I want to head over to the church. It’s a bit of a walk, though. You okay?
Yep! I’m good to go! The church thingy is where you pray to the Goddess, right? Sounds like fun!
Someone’s excited.

Next stop is the church, then. It’s been a while, so just as a refresher, it’s located on Mainz Mountain Road (accessed from the Residential District exit), on the right hand side.

This building is the biggest building I’ve ever seen! Is this the church?
Sure is. This is the Crossbell Cathedral, KeA. I’m sure you’ve probably gone somewhere similar to pray with your family before, but…
Huh?
I don’t think your average town’s chapel is quite as large as this one… This might not be the best spot to help her remember her past.
That’s a good point. But first, I’d like to consult with someone I know here. It’s one of the Sunday School instructors who used to look after me.
Oh…? Are you referring to Sister Marble, by any chance?
I am, but how did you…?
Oh, duh. You went to the same Sunday School, right? We must’ve had class on different days. That’d explain why we never met.
I suppose it would. After I finished Sunday School, I left to study abroad.
Hmm. I can’t help but wonder if things would move quicker if we had met as kids…
Huh?
N-Never mind! A-Anyway, let’s see if Sister Marble is somewhere around here. She’s probably still teaching Sunday School right about now.

You know, for all that Lloyd gripes about his brother being oblivious to Cecile’s affections, he isn’t doing too hot in that regard himself… the legacy of the Bannings Gene is strong in this one. I’m sure that if we trace his genealogy back, we’d see every member of his family having trouble being oblivious to romance in one way or another.

Inside the classroom:

Good morning, Sister Marble.
Forgive us for intruding at such an inconvenient time.
Please, don’t think anything of it. I was actually just about to begin my break.
Oh, that’s right. You two are coworkers now! Funny how things turn out like this. I can honestly say that it moves me to see you two standing side-by-side.
O-Oh, really?

The shipping pools on orbal social media are going bananas as we speak.

Are you simply here to worship? Or are you visiting the cemetery?
Well, about that…
Hey, Lloyd, I got a question! Is this one of those sister people?
Oh, my. Now who is this little one?
Our reason for coming, actually. There’s something in particular we wanted to ask you about her.

Oh, dearest Aidios, please shine thy light and happiness on this lost lamb. Furthermore, I thank you for having guided her to these kind individuals…
That means a lot, Sister Marble.
Maybe Aidios really did have a hand in leading KeA into our arms.
Someone brought me to you…? I thought Lloyd was the one who found me!
Anyway, you’ve come to inquire whether or not I know anything about her memory loss, correct? I understand that she doesn’t remember anything aside from her name.
Yeah. We’d love any advice you might have.
Um, I really did try my best to remember, but it didn’t work. I even closed my eyes and focused super hard! Did I do it wrong?
You’re a good girl, aren’t you, KeA?
Knowledge and techniques involving tapping into one’s spirit and mind are handed down in the Septian Church. That much is true. Among those include treatments for amnesia.
Then there’s hope!
You think it’s possible to restore her memories?!
Well, I’m not positive that I will be able to restore them in full, but it’s sure worth trying, don’t you think? Time is of the essence. Shall I begin?
Wait, are you saying you’re going to be the one doing it, Sister Marble?
Well, yes. I’ve built up mastery in a few Thaumaturgy techniques. These are a set of healing techniques practiced by the Septian Church.
How exactly does it work?
I believe they primarily incorporate prayer and sacraments passed down by the clergy.
Essentially. There is an organization within the church that specializes in Thaumaturgy… but those specialists rarely come to Crossbell, unfortunately.
Seriously?
I’m not supposed to let this out, but the church is not entirely a uniform institution. One organization that resides within the Congregation for the Sacraments, another branch of the church, is known for their expertise in Thaumaturgy, but you see… the man in charge of the Crossbell Cathedral, Archbishop Eralda, does not think too kindly of their inner activities. Because of that, members of the Congregation for the Sacraments rarely find themselves in Crossbell.
W-Wow. I never thought that the Septian Church would have their share of internal disputes.
You said that group is affiliated with the Congregation for the Sacraments? So you’re talking about the Gralsritter? I’ve heard that Archbishop Eralda holds a lot of pull within the Congregation for Divine Worship, but I never knew about this divide…
I see you’re well-versed in knowledge about the Septian Church, Elie. I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. That being said, there’s no difference between their Thaumaturgy and mine. I believe it’s worth the try.
All right, then. We’ll leave you to it, Sister Marble. Er, do we need to go somewhere else for this?
No need. Your name is KeA, correct? Do you mind coming a bit closer to me?
No problem!

Sure! I can do that easy peasy!
*inhale*...*exhale*...*inhale*...*exhale*...
That’s perfect, KeA. Keep it up. Well, then…

I’d like to imagine that “Thamauturgy” is just church speak for a nun or priest pulling out a flashlight and turning it on and off in rapid succession while making spooky sounds. That’d be funny to me, at least.

By your opposing natures, lead this lamb to her lost fragments’ true whereabouts…

KeA, what’s wrong?!
Calm yourself. There’s no need to fret. How do you feel, KeA? Can you remember anything?
Hmmm…
All I remember is a big, dark room… A light shined down from above, but it always made me a little scared.
A big, dark room…?
Where in the world could that be…?
Anything else come to mind, KeA? Perhaps memories of your family, or where you lived beforehand?
Umm… nope. I got nothing.
Is that so…?

The magical glow recedes from KeA.

What is it, Sister Marble?
Sadly, this seems to be the best result we’ll get from Thaumaturgy. In other words, focusing on the psychological side of things will only get us this far… It’s possible that hte problem may lie with her nervous system.
No way…
Wh-Why is that?
To be frank, I think there might be some issue with her cranial nerves. Their transmissions regarding memories seem to be inhibited, for whatever reason. Though, that’s merely a possibility.
You think there’s something wrong with her brain…? There’s nothing else you can do?!
I’m sorry. Thaumaturgy strictly works within the confines of one’s spirit and mind… It pains me to say that modern medicine might be your best option in remedying her condition.
You think so…?
ONly one place comes to mind when you say modern medicine…
Yes. St. Ursula Medical College. Despite not much research being done into the field of the spirit and mind… a few years back, a new Neurology Department was formed, and I hear that an excellent researcher heads it. I’m sure a consultation there will open many more doors for you to take than continuing the church’s methods would.
Neurology, you said? (Hold on. Why would that name sound familiar?)
Listen, Lloyd. We should check into this, right?
Yeah, I’m on the same page. Sister Marble, I can’t thank you enough. We’re going to take your advice and head to St. Ursula right away.
Wonderful. I think that’s for the best. I’m truly sorry I couldn’t be more help to you.
C-C’mon, Sister Marble. Without you, we wouldn’t have known to look into this Neurology Department! On top of that, I think that bit of info KeA remembered might end up being a valuable clue down the line.
‘A big, dark room…’
Yeah. But I also remember this light shining down from above. It wasn’t very bright. Oh, I also remember hearing this really deep sound there. It was kinda pretty, but also a little spooky.
Th-That right?

May the Goddess bless you all with luck and good fortune. I will be praying for KeA in the meantime.

Outside the church:

That’s not exactly next door, is it? KeA, are you getting tired?
I’m A-OK! Walking around with everyone is the best! I love it, hehehe.
Haha, I wish I could always be as energetic as you.
Shall we head to the south exit, then? If we take the bus, we should get there in no time.
Yeah! Let’s go!

Yeah, yeah, hold it, people. We’ve still got one last request to attend to for the Intermission. But first, as per franchise tradition, it doesn’t open up until a certain time slot first. First, we need to go to the city and THEN we can attend to our DP needs.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 78.2: "Okie dokie! I’m kinda busy right now, but I promise I’ll come again!"

Yo, guys! What’s up?
Hello, how are you doing?
Hello, you three. Are you headed off somewhere?
Umm, Sunday School at the Crossbell Cathedral is about to begin.
Ah, that’s not too far away. You’ll probably be fine on your own, then. That being said, you all must live close to each other if you have Sunday School at the same time, right?
Ahaha… I’d gotten so caught up in playing with Ryu and Zeit that I accidentally ended up skipping school.
Psh, it’s not like it’s your fault. How could we refuse an invitation to play with a freakin’ giant wolf?
Zeit’s the cutest!
Wait a second now, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around before. What’s your name, girl?
I’m not ‘girl.’ I’m KeA!
KeA, huh? My name’s Anri, the energetic guy right here is named Ryu, and the shy girl over there is Momo.
U-Umm… it’s nice to meet you, KeA.
Yeah, nice to meet you, too!

It’s a well known fact amongst the good people of Crossbell that Sister Marble possesses the most powerful S-Craft in the region: the ruler.

I understand, don’t worry. Don’t be late now, okay?
Wouldn’t dream of it! See ya later!
Goodbye.

Wait, did Residential Street and West Street always have classes at the same time? Elie and I would have known each other for a while now if that was the case.
I’m sure the school’s structure and scheduling has changed from when we were attending. They probably had to adjust the quotas to match Crossbell’s rapidly growing population.
Sounds plausible, but I wonder if it’s actually true…
Hey, can we go to the bus stop?
Oh, I almost forgot. Let’s get going, then.

Actually… we aren’t. Not just yet. You see that cutscene right there? That was your only hint that a hidden request opened up. We actually need to head BACK to the church now and talk to Sister Marble again. You see, she has a special request for Lloyd…

Oh, my. Hello again to you, too, KeA. Did you forget something, Lloyd?
No, actually. After passing by the kids earlier, we got a little interested in Sunday School.
Is that so? Perfect timing. We were just about to begin. You know… maybe the Goddess planned for this to happen.
Truth be told, I’ve been contemplating teaching the children about the CPD for quite a while now.
Really now?
Indeed. And I was thinking, who better to teach about the CPD than the CPD itself? Would you care to be a guest lecturer?
Guest lecturer? Me?
Please, if you don’t mind. Who better to inform the children about how the police operate than a police officer? I’m certain your explanations would make far more sense than mine. How about it? Would you join our lesson as a guest lecturer?

You know what? I’d love to.
Oh, really? Thank you, Lloyd. I have no doubt the class will appreciate it.
Are you sure about this, Lloyd? Teaching people isn’t exactly the easiest thing to do, you know.
Don’t worry, I know. It’s not like I agreed to do this without some semblance of a plan. It’s just… it’s rare to get the opportunity to tell people about how the police and justice system really work.
Who knows? There could be a future recruit of the Crossbell Police Academy in this room--just like I was.
I see. That way of thinking is very much like you, Lloyd.
We might have to put our trip to St. Ursula on hold for now. Are you okay with that, KeA?
Uh-huh! If you wanna do this lesson thingy, Lloyd, I’ll cheer you on!
Haha. Thanks a lot, KeA.
If we’re in agreement, would you mind stepping outside for a moment? I will give you a brief outline on how to proceed with the lecture, all right?
Of course, Sister Marble.

First, I’ll give a broad, easy-to-understand explanation of what the CPD does… and then I’ll move on to the Q&A. That’s at least the general plan, right?
That should be perfect. I do have one suggestion, though.
You do? What’s that?
Well, it’s entirely up to you, but… how about you have KeA attend the lesson as well?
KeA…?
That’s a wonderful idea, Sister Marble.
Can I? Oh, can I, can I, canI?!
Yes, of course. After all, the majority of children your age have already started to attend Sunday School. It would be a good experience for you.
Yay! I’ll be the bestest student there ever was! I wanna learn everything about you, Lloyd!
KeA, you sure?
No backing out now, Lloyd. I doubt she’d let you, anyway.
Haha. You’re right about that. KeA, make sure to try to get along with the other kids. Make some friends.
Will do!
I’ll keep an eye on everything from the back of the classroom, okay? Do your best, Mr. Bannings.
(Talk about unfair…)
Hey, all I can do is try my best. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to teach these kids about the police. I don’t plan to run away.
That’s the spirit. Now then, shall we begin?

Before we begin today's lesson, there’s a new friend I would like to introduce to you. KeA, if you’d come forward.
Hey there! My name's KeA, like key-uh! Nice to meetcha!

Children: Nice to meet you!

There's the energetic greeting I was expecting. KeA, you may sit at any of the empty seats.
I want that one!

H-Hello. It’s nice to meet you.
(This must be what a mother feels like on Parents’ Day. Do your best, KeA!)

Now, without further ado…
Here we go…

Lloyd sidles over to the podium.

I can’t believe it…
U-Um, hello, everyone. I definitely see some familiar faces, but for those who don’t know me… my name is Lloyd Bannings. I work as a police officer on active duty at the Crossbell Police Department, Special Support Section.

Tamil: The police…? Ryu, you know them?
Hamil: The Special Support Section…? Wait a minute! You were in the Crossbell Times that one time!
Tamil: Oh, I remember now! I skipped the article, but I saw that teeny tiny photo of you guys.

All right, everyone, quiet down. I've been meaning to teach you all about Crossbell's police, so I asked Lloyd here to lead the lesson today. Make sure to pay extra close attention to him, okay?

Children: Okaaaaaaay!

The floor is yours, Mr. Bannings. ♥
Leave it to me, Sister Marble.

Sister Marble moves to the side of the room.

Haha! Did you bring her along as a cheerleader?!
Cut it out, Ryu. Can’t you see he’s doing his best?
Um. KeA... Class has started, so I‘m going to need you to refrain from the outbursts, all right?
Aw, boo. I cheered for you and everything.
(You know, I think I actually feel a little more relaxed now. Thanks, KeA.)
Ahem. Class, ready to start?

C.P.D −Crossbell Police Department−

To start things off, I want to teach you all about what the police force, as a whole, actually is. In Crossbell State, there's a certain something that we aren't allowed to establish, despite other countries doing so. To compensate for this certain something, we formed the Crossbell Guardian Force and the Crossbell Police Department, where I work.
And even though we aren't allowed to have one, this certain something is extremely important to other countries. This something being…

That “certain something” being a military. Easy peasy. I don’t even think Crossbell really HAS an Intelligence Agency. The First Investigative Division is probably the closest to that there is.

...in Crossbell, we don’t have an active military, so those roles are divided between several different organizations. Among those is the CPD. It's our duty to carry out investigations of crimes, and, if we're lucky, prevent them from happening in the first place.
(That sounded like a pretty good summary to me.)

Different divisions are dispatched depending on the nature and severity of a case so that we can respond with the appropriate countermeasures. Out of all of them. the division that deals the most with massive, sometimes international, crimes and incidents would be...

I mean, if we keep going at the rate we’ve been moving along (in addition to having protagonist status), the Special Support Section may very well assist in those international matters one day. But then again, I can’t quite see Lloyd Bannings catching the Zemurian Zodiac Killer just yet. The Second Investigative Division solves regular murders and other crimes, while the First Investigative Division is just Crossbell’s FBI.

Just to speed things up, I won’t be transcribing most of Lloyd’s dialogue after you answer the choice. He usually just makes a comment about your choice and either thinks “gently caress”/”I did good!” depending on whether or not you’ve picked the right option.

Full DP for giving all the correct answers, of course.

In addition to doubling as our identification, it also has an even more important use for detectives. That would be…

③ is just Lloyd folding up his notebook, trying to shove it in a USB, and crying into his Enigma to the IT department that “why no work!”.

(Answer is #1, of course.)

Despite most officers not being combat experts. There are times when a fight is unavoidable, especially when in hot pursuit of an active criminal.
Fun fact: There's already been many iterations of orbments created through the years. With each generation, brand new features are added. The orbments we currently use are…

I was genuinely tripped up by this one, because I only remembered the game mentioning the generation once or twice. I know it as the magical doohickey thingamabob, not a goddamn OnePlus 7T that shoots icicles out of its rear end, game…

At first glance, you might not think those two roles are related, but you’d be surprised. All police work is rooted in one basic principle. And that’s…

Hey, what do you get when you have a spin-off game featuring crime in Crossbell?

Grand Theft Crossbell. Yes, I know, I know. I’ll be here all week. :geno:

...It might have been hard to follow at times, but did you manage to understand most of it?
(Now, class should be halfway finished. It was clear that he was nervous at first, but I think his teaching style covered that up nicely. I can see his skills used to pass the detective exam aren’t just for show.)
Let us continue the lesson, everyone. Does anyone have questions for Mr. Bannings? I’m sure he will be more than happy to answer any question you might have.
(ANY question?! That’s a bit of an overstatement, isn’t it? *sigh* Let’s see how this goes.)

Tamil: Me! Pick meeee!

All right. What have you got?

Tamil: How do you become a police officer in the first place, Mr. Bannings? ...Not that I’d ever become one, though.
Hamil: Tamil, don’t be rude!

I’ll just pretend I didn’t hear that. You’re basically asking if there’s any special requirements to become one, right? Well, to become a police officer…

③ “You know, you have one of those days, and then all of a sudden… you’re a police officer, kid. It just happens to the best of us sometimes. Mondays, am I right?”

However, as I previously mentioned, there are many different positions within the CPD. For example, if you wanted to pursue a career in detective work, there’s a separate exam you have to pass, in addition to the base curriculum. There are special exceptions to these rules, like my teammates. They were able to join the force without attending the academy at all.
(That sums it up.)

Tamil: Hmm, gotcha. I’m still not going to join the police, but thanks for the answer, Mr. Bannings!

Um… do you mind if I ask a question, too?

Well, we don’t hear many details about big incidents that happen in Crossbell, so… I just want to know how the SSS was able to solve the wolf attacks case. I’ve been wondering about it for a while.
Oh, where the mafia was misusing their war hounds throughout the state? If I remember correctly, the turning point in that particular case was…

Just when we were about to be done in by the mafia’s war hounds, a pack of white wolves came to our rescue. And after that, Zeit, their leader, decided to come stay with us at the SSS annex.
(I doubt I’ll ever forget a moment as amazing as that one. Thanks, Zeit.)
That’s incredible! Zeit really is one-of-a-kind, isn’t he? Thank you, Mr. Bannings!
E-Excuse me, sir. I have a question if you don’t mind…
I don’t mind at all. What is it?
Do you remember when Ryu and Anri got lost underground? It was a long time ago, I think… Where exactly was that place?
M-Momo! Don’t remind everyone of that! And for the record, I wasn’t lost.
B-But you guys never tell me anything… :(
That incident in the Geofront? Well, we found Ryu and Anri in…

(Short and sweet.)
W-Wow, that’s incredible. Thank you for the story, Mr. Bannings.
You’re welcome. Any other questions?
Pick me! I just came up with a good one!
Go ahead, Ryu.
I heard somethin’ about this a while ago, but… is there some kind of big difference between the police and the Bracer Guild? Both of you guys beat up the bad guys, right?
(There’s a tougher one…)
Well, yes... I'm sure everyone else is curious about this question, too. If I were to pick one specific difference between the police and the Bracer Guild, it would be…

This IS essentially the reason why the franchise is focusing on the police this arc rather than the Bracer Guild. Even if the Bracer Guild were to make any moves during the auction, they wouldn’t be able to do anything about it from a political standpoint.

And it's precisely because of that code that the Bracer Guild is given room to operate in most Zemurian countries. One of their main tenets is one of non-intervention. That means that they aren't allowed to arrest individuals of military or political standing. Granted. if they suddenly started attacking innocent bystanders or something, they're able to make arrests, then.
And that's where they're different from us. We have the authority to place politicians and other officials under arrest but…
You sure about that? My dad‘s always telling me that the police are pathetic because they never arrest corrupt government people.
R-Ryu, isn’t that a little harsh?
...He has a point. Up until now, our efforts haven’t been enough. I’ll admit it. And change may not be possible right this very second, but you can count on us to keep working towards being able to.
Hey, you’ve got my support!
*sigh* You’re all talk, Ryu…
Well, then, any more questions? We should have time for another.

KeA?! (Her silence WAS getting suspicious.)
So, can I ask my question?
S-Sure, go ahead.
I wanna know… why did you become a police officer?
Why did I join the CPD…?) U-Uh…

(I asked myself the same thing the first night I was assigned to the Special Support Section, didn't I? You know… I think I have an answer now.)
Lloyd? Still thinkin’?
No, I got it.
(I don’t think this necessarily has a ‘right’ answer. I just need to speak from the heart and tell them how I've grown by being a part of the Special Support Section.)
The reason I became a police officer was…

Boy, if this was a Shin Megami Tensei game, you could pick out the alignment choices here.

In any case, as Lloyd briefly mentioned, there’s no “right” answer to this. Conversely, there’s no “wrong” answer either. I’ve listed the dialogue for all the responses under here, so just pick whichever one you feel suits Lloyd best:

① To Become Strong
...Honestly, I’m at a loss. But. if I were to pick something, I think it's because I want to help those in need and stop injustice.
Thing is, in order to do that, I have to become stronger. A lot stronger… I think I’ve been able to do that, working in the CPD, but…
I must sound like a bracer. Sorry, KeA. I know that wasn’t a very good answer.
No problem! I liked it, ‘cause it told me something about you, Lloyd. You’re really determined, aren’t you?

② To Protect Everyone
...Honestly, I’m at a loss. If I were to pick something, it’d probably be that I want to protect everyone.
That includes friends and family, of course, but more specifically… the people of Crossbell, I guess? Maybe there’s more to it than that…
Sorry, KeA. I know that wasn’t a very good answer.
No problem! I liked it, ‘cause it told me something about you, Lloyd. You’re really determined, aren’t you?

Not sure
To be brutally honest, I don’t know right now.
In the beginning, I just wanted to chase after my role model, so I decided to join the CPD, just like him. I don’t think that’s everything, though… My desire to follow my brother's footsteps hasn‘t changed, but I‘ve been made painfully aware just how hard surpassing him will be.
S-Sorry, everyone. I know that probably didn’t make any sense.
No problem! I liked it, ‘cause it told me something about you, Lloyd. When you set your mind on things, you go after them with all your might!

Mr. Bannings, your assistance today was extremely helpful. Everyone, make sure to tell him thanks, okay?

Children: Thank you, Mr. Bannings!

My pleasure. I’ll see you all later.

All the children seemed to have a ball listening to your lesson.
Well, I sure hope so.
No need to be so humble. It was an amazing, well-thought-out lesson. I even learned quite a bit myself. Remembering how small you used to be and seeing you teach like that has shown me how far you've come. That, above all else, was my favorite part of the lesson.
I thought you were awesome, Lloyd! Best teacher ever! I didn’t really understand anything you said, but it was still awesome!
That lesson probably went over a lot of kids’ heads, didn’t it?
I’m proud of you, Lloyd. I imagine the kids are a lot more familiar with the police now, thanks to you and your excellent teaching.
I’m just thankful that I had the opportunity to share with the class.
Once again, thank you. Now, there’s still time left in my lesson, so I’m afraid I’ll have to excuse myself. KeA, if you would like, you are more than welcome to come to this Sunday School class whenever you can. I’m certain the other children would love to have you.
Okie dokie! I’m kinda busy right now, but I promise I’ll come again!
(It looks like KeA has really taken a shine to Sunday School.)
I can’t wait.
Oh, Lloyd. I would love for you to take this. A token of my gratitude.

For our efforts, we receive the Holy Locket accessory (DEF+5/ADF+5/Prevents Deathblows), 8 DP, and 2000 mira. Next time, we head down to St. Ursula Medical College and start wrapping the Intermission up! Look forward to seeing a minor NPC you may or may not have forgotten existed at this point!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't really have a lot to say about this update. I do remember 5th generation battle orbment mentioned in Trails of Cold Steel's prologue, and because that takes place at the same time as this game, it's the same generation.

Trails to Azure's second editing pass is at 95%. I wasn't paying attention to Trails from Zero's progress, so I don't know how long it came out after that second editing pass was done, but once Trails to Azure's Geofront fanpatch comes out, then I'll likely buy these games. I still need to finish re-playing the Sky series before starting, though. But once I get these two games finished, I can start Cold Steel 3. (And don't say "you don't need to play them to understand what's going on". You might know the facts, but they'll just be facts without any emotional connection.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like that we're doing Elie for this. She's the only character I never focused on during the Crossbell arc because, frankly, despite showing some early promise she kinda bores me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was wondering how to pronounce "KeA", and then in this update she introduces herself and explains it. Kinda silly that she does, considering from the perspective of the characters, she's basically saying "I'm 'Key-uh', it's pronounced 'Key-uh'."