Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(And don't say "you don't need to play them to understand what's going on". You might know the facts, but they'll just be facts without any emotional connection.)

It's an issue that's only going to worsen as the franchise continues. Especially, since... there's like fifty playable characters as of Origins? Either some characters start contracting the Anelace Syndrome, or the next world-ending monstrosity wipes out the better part of Liberl/Crossbell/Erebonia/Calvard/the browser game within the next in-game decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What is "Anelace syndrome"? A side character who was popular, but no longer appears? If that's what it means, well, she was just a side character in Sky FC, a guest character in SC, and only in 3rd did she get substantial screentime, and by that time there were already a ton of party members. You can't have every single character get a ton of screentime, there is only so much to go around.

Trails of Cold Steel started out with 9 party members in the first installment, introduced all at once, and that resulted in a lot of them being underdeveloped and many were pretty boring. Because there's only so much you can stuff into one game. In CS 2, a few of the less-developed characters got more interesting things to do, while the previously-developed ones didn't have much, and in CS 3/4, they seem to have stuffed almost all of the playable cast into the basement and brought in a smaller group of brand new characters. (Disclaimer: I haven't played CS 3 past the demo part.)

Anyway, in bigger news, testing for Trails to Azure is beginning.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 79: “I was hoping my outfit would make me look younger, but I guess I can't run from the truth: I'm old.”

Probability of Precipitation 10% (Evolution)

Right around now, actually.
That was good timing on our part.
Wait, what’s coming?
I think you'll be excited, KeA. It's something you've been wanting to ride.
Hmm?

The bus honks its horn a few times.

This type of car is called a bus, KeA. Get it?

Yep. They’re all people returning from the hospital. Once we get on it, it’ll take us all the way south to St. Ursula.
Wait… I get to ride this thing?! With you two?!
Yeah, haha. I hope you’re excited.
I’m SUPER excited! C’mon, c’mon! Let’s get on!
Watch your step, okay?

Shh, that’s too loud, KeA!
S-Sorry about that.

Passenger: Haha, don’t worry about it. A lively kid is a healthy kid.

Hoho, are you going to visit someone?
No, we just need to consult some of the hospital’s doctors.
Wow! I can see a cute little island over there! Hehe, it’s funny-looking!
What are we going to do with you…
She’s popular wherever she goes, isn’t she?

St.Ursula Medical College (Evolution)

Walking might be kinda fun, but buses are SUPER DUPER fun!
You think so?
(From what she’s saying, this must have been her first time riding in a vehicle… Does that mean she’s never been in an airship or train before?)
What’d you say this place was? A hos-pi-tal?
Yep, but it’s also a medical college. There’s even a research lab here, too. It's possible that they'll be able to help you with recovering your memory, KeA.
Hmm… Is it really that big a deal if I remember things or not? Lloyd, Elie. Would it make you happy if I remembered everything?
Of course.
I’m sure you're missing a lot of really precious memories, KeA. Try to do your best to remember them, okay?
Hmm, okay. I’ll do my bestest to remember everything!
That’s the spirit. However, don’t overwork yourself trying to remember, okay?
Got it!
We should ask about the Neurology Department in the lobby, then.

I recognize that voice…

Cecile approaches the trio.

I'm sure you worked hard during the festival. Has the department been keeping you busy?
You could say that. Honestly, those five days were the busiest days of my life.
And the week afterwards wasn’t anything to scoff about, either.
Despite all that, it looks like you managed to survive.
Hold on. That girl…
Hey, Lloyd! Do you know this lady, too?
That’s right. Her name’s Cecile. She’s basically my big sister, and she--
N-No way… I-I can’t believe you’d do something like this and keep it a secret from me…
Cecile…?
You went and got married without telling me! How could you not invite me?!
Huh?!
I can’t believe it. You DID! Hey, you. What’s your name?
KeA!
KeA…? Heehee. What a cute name. You don’t look like Lloyd, though… Maybe you take after your mom? Wait, you don’t look like Elie, either…
C-Cecile…?
Please, calm down and think about this rationally! Me, KeA’s dad? You know I’m not old enough for that to be the case, right?

Oh, now that I think about it… I guess that makes sense.
Does it really require that much thought…?
You can be quite the airhead at times, can’t you, Cecile?
I don’t get it.

Mayor MacDowell is also notorious ‘round these parts for pulling shotgun weddings on any jerk making a move on his little girl. So there’s that too.

Where did you even get the idea that she was my daughter?
I mean, you two struck me as family the moment I saw you together… Because of that, I was convinced that you were her father.
What?
You’re my dad, Lloyd?! I had no idea!
No, I’m not!
Heehee. Hey, Elie… Look at them sitting there. They DO give off that impression, don’t they?
Huh… Now that you mention it, I’m starting to see it, too. Sure, they don’t look alike at all, but the way they interact with each other…
A-Are you serious?
Hehehe… Lloyd is my dad, huh? Can I call you Dad, now?
Can’t we just stick with Lloyd?
Hmm, I guess.
Anyway, Cecile, you’re super nice! Yup, I like you a lot!
Heehee. And I like you, KeA. I’d say our personalities mesh pretty well, don’t you think?
Definitely!
(They’ve become friends in no time.)
(*sigh* These two are a handful, that’s for sure…)
So, Lloyd… about KeA’s memories…
Yeah, I think we gave you the gist of the situation earlier. We were planning to take KeA to the Neurology Department. Do you know who we should talk to?
I do, but I think you may have already met him. Professor Joachim Guenter is his name.
Wait, what? Professor Guenter specializes in neurology?!
So that’s what he does at St. Ursula…?
Well, at first glance, you just see a carefree fisherman, but… I've heard that he actually made amazing breakthroughs at a foreign medical institution. Here at St. Ursula, he manages the Pharmacology and Neurology departments.
That’s pretty impressive. So you think talking about KeA’s condition with him would be a safe bet?
I do. I have no doubt that he’ll be able to help in some fashion. We should stop by the reception desk and see if he’s available.

He will meet you at his laboratory in the Research Ward.
Awesome. Thank goodness he isn’t busy.
I’ll excuse myself, then.
Thanks for the help as always, Cecile. We’ll make sure to say bye before leaving.
I can’t wait. See you soon, KeA.
See ya!

Cecile leaves.

I doubt there’s anyone in this entire hospital who works as hard as Cecile. Sometimes I wish she would take a page out of Professor Guenter's book and skip a few shifts.
Haha, good old Professor… (Try not to overwork yourself, Cecile.)
Come to think of it, do you even know how to get to Professor Guentar’s lab? It’s on the fourth floor of the Research Ward. I could take you there, if you’d like.
I think we’ll be all right. Thanks, though.
Ready to see the professor, KeA?
Yep! To the research thingy!

And to get to the research thingy, we have to go up the stairs thingamabob to the roof and make our way across it to the sliding door gizmo. Previously, we couldn’t access it while we were investigating the attacks back from Chapter 1, but now that we’ve made an appointment…

(Looks like this is the place.)
Excuse us. It’s Lloyd Bannings of the Special Support Section.
Oh, I’ve been waiting for you! Come on inside. It’s unlocked.
All right. KeA, follow me.
Got’cha!

I appreciated our little duel during the Anniversary Festival. lt was a lot of fun, thanks to you.
You’re the same as ever, Professor Guenter.
I’m sorry about this, Professor. I know you’re usually supposed to set up an appointment for these kind of things.
Oh, no! I was just about to take a break, anyway. The amnesiac you’re taking care of… Is that her?
Yes. This is KeA.
Hey, Lloyd. Is this old man with the glasses going to restore all my memories?
O-Old man?! Haha. I was hoping my outfit would make me look younger, but I guess I can't run from the truth: I'm old.
N-No, you’re still plenty young.
(KeA, listen… Even if it’s flattery, you should still address people as mister and miss, okay?)
(That’s what I should do?)
I don’t know what hurt worse, her line or your pity. Well, whatever. Why don’t you have a seat? If you could explain to me the current situation, that would be extremely helpful.

Even the methods of the Septian Church couldn’t recover her memories? That means, just like the sister said, there could be an issue with her nervous system.
I was afraid of that. Do you know of any other way we could potentially recover her memories?
I’ll be honest with you. Research into cranial nerves and brain cells has only just begun. There are many different possibilities as to the source of her amnesia, but no treatment for the condition currently exists. However...

The professor pulled out an ophthalmoscope from his coat.

Sure.
*staaaare*

Joachim leans forward to examine KeA’s eyes.

Hmm, no issues with her pupils. Over the past few days, have you experienced headaches or nausea?
Headaches? Nozzy-ah?
He just wants to know if your head or tummy has been hurting.
Oh! No, I’ve felt great.
Is that so? I don’t think she has any brain damage, then. That must mean…
Do you have some idea, now?
Well, it’s simply my intuition speaking. It's possible that this case of amnesia may be the side-effect of some drug.
Drug?!
Yes. As few as they are, there have been cases like that in the past. A drug's ingredients can sometimes inhibit certain transmissions to the nervous system… Though, in most of those cases, amnesia is accompanied by a complete breakdown of the mind. I doubt we will be able to apply the same rules to KeA’s case, though.
She’s definitely not crazy, that’s for sure.
Right. She’s always been bright and so full of energy.
Huh?
You know, the field of pharmacology is still very much developing. It’s not impossible that a drug with these unknown side-effects has been created. In other words, we should look at this from both possibilities: an issue with the nervous system and a side-effect of a drug.
That might be the best idea. Is it possible to perform some tests here at St. Ursula?
Of course. It's just, on top of taking a long time, there's no guarantee that her memories can even be recovered at this point. But if you’re fine with that, then…
That’s not very reassuring…
Exactly how long would it be?
Probably around three days. But, if possible, I would like to run tests on her for at least a week.
Three days at the minimum…
That’s how long it will take for the test pursuing the drug possibility to finish. It involves analyzing what’s excreted from one’s body using certain chemicals. Now, this is usually a costly examination, but we can lower the medical fees, given how unusual this case is. How does that sound?

“...Especially since your insurance won’t be covering any of that.”

Stay here? Sure, I guess.
Really?
That’s a relief.
Wonderful. Shall we go ahead and start the initial examinations? If she has any personal things or clothes, you should probably drop them by when you can.
Yes. We’ll make sure to bring them by sometime soon.
Hey, Lloyd. I’m okay with staying here, but can I still sleep with you?
KeA? U-Uh…
If I can’t, I’m sure I’ll live, but…
That’s not it, KeA. You see, only you would be staying at the hospital.
What? Then where are you guys going to sleep?
Well, we’re going to keep staying in the old SSS annex.

Huh?
You guys want to get rid of me… You don’t want to take care of me anymore!
That’s not true!
Y-You would just be staying here for a few days… After that, you can come live with us, just like you have been.
I don’t care! I don’t want to stay at that guild OR this hospital!

KeA, wait!

I’m sorry about this, Professor Guenter. You went through all this trouble and…
It’s fine. Besides, in that state, forcing her to take the tests would just backfire. Actually, l don't know if those tests would have produced any helpful results in the first place. How about we pick up where we left off once she’s cooled her head?
All right.
Waiting for her memories to return naturally might be a good plan, too. If you ever need advice on the matter, don’t hesitate to give me a call. In the meantime, I’ll look into some of these amnesia cases during my free time.
Thanks a lot, professor.
This means a lot.

Isn’t the fact that she wants to stay with us something to be happy about?
Yeah, you make a good point. For now, let’s focus on finding her.
I just hope she hasn’t managed to get too far away…

I’d be perfectly fine without memories…
So why is everyone so worried about them?

KeA continues walking down the road.

Uhhhhhh… Where am I? …?
Hmmm… Yup, I think I’m lost.

The breeze is so nice… I wonder when Father will be coming today…?
Hey, you!

Are you looking at something? Is it all the fishies?! I wanna look at them, too!
Heehee… I can't see them, but I'm sure they're swimming in the water, all the same. Whenever they jump from time to time, I can hear the splashes…

KeA takes a closer look at the river.

Wow, you’re right! There’s so many of them right here!
I wish I had a fishing rod! I’d catch ‘em all, or my name isn’t KeA!
So, your name is KeA. My name is Shizuku MacLaine. It’s nice to meet you.
Shizuku…? I like it!
Thank you. I think you have a pretty name, too. Are you here to visit someone?
Nope. I came here to see if someone could bring back my memories, but…
Memories? What do you…?
When that weird doctor with glasses said I had to leave Lloyd and everyone else, I ran away. A ‘strategic retreat,’ or whatever you call it.
You ran away?
(When she said Lloyd and everyone, was she talking about…?)
Shizuku! I have a question! Why do you keep your eyes closed?
Oh, right… I’m blind. That’s why I stay here at the hospital.
Really? Well, I don’t know who I am, so I guess we’re kinda the same.
Oh, your memories… You mentioned that earlier. You don’t remember anything? Not even your mother or father?
Nope. Nothing at all. But because I have Lloyd and the others, I don’t have to feel lonely!
Is that so? My mother isn’t with us anymore, but I still have my father… and everyone at the hospital is really kind, so I guess I'm not very lonely, either.

Meanwhile...

We’re back in control of Lloyd and Elie. We know where KeA is, so let’s just cut to the chase and skip outside:

Thank goodness!

Our dog, Zeit, is sooo big! He acts like he's better than everyone else, but he's the softest thing I‘ve ever touched, you know? And he loooves it when you scratch his back really hard!
He does? Zeit sounds like quite the fluffy dog.
You probably come to the city every now and then, right? Next time you do, do you wanna play with Zeit with me?!
I would love to. Maybe I should ask Father when I see him? If I asked Estelle and Joshua, maybe they would play with us, too…
Estelle? Wasn’t she that bracer girl? I didn’t know you knew her.
When I go to the city, I like to go shopping with them. Father’s usually busy, so…

They almost look like sisters, chatting away like this.
Children are prone to become fast friends, after all.

Um, we wanted to thank you for helping us all the time, sir.
There’s no need for thanks. I merely did what needed to be done.
Now… is that the girl?
Yeah. I’m sure you heard about her from Michel, right? Her name is KeA.
Is that right?
Is something wrong?
Wait… do you know her?!
No. I simply find her curious. You see, Shizuku is as well-behaved as a father could ever hope for, but she's usually incredibly shy. As a result, she hasn’t been able to make many friends her own age.
So that’s what you meant. It looks like they’re having the time of their lives, doesn’t it?
Indeed it does…
I’m unaware of that girl’s background or past. However, since you willingly got yourselves involved, you must take responsibility for her until the bitter end.
So… take good care of her.
...Yeah. We intend to.
Father?
Lloyd?! Elie?!
Caught at last.
Haha…

How was work?
It wasn’t too difficult this time around. I’m glad to be back, Shizuku.
Oh! This is your dad, Shizuku? He’s as tall as a tree! And looks as tough as one, too!
You think so?
Also, it’s good to see you two again.
Yeah, you, too.
You must be getting along well with KeA, aren’t you?
Oh, no. She’s the one who’s getting along with me.
...Lloyd. I am absolutely not staying in a place like this, you hear me?
You made that painfully clear. But. you know...if you decided to stay here, you would be able to play with Shizuku every day. You two are friends, right?
I would?! But I don’t want to be away from you guys…
Lloyd, try to be more sensitive. You’re just hurting her feelings.
Maybe you’re right. I’m sorry, KeA. Are you about ready to head on home?
Aww. I was wanting to talk to Shizuku for a little bit longer…
We’ll come visit. I promise. Also, Shizuku is welcome to come play with you whenever she’s in the city.
Really?
I’ll leave her in your hands, then. Up you go, Shizuku.

Arios, are you planning to stay here for the rest of the day?
Yes. I’m going to spend the night.
KeA. As her father, I would be pleased if you would be a good friend to Shizuku from now on.
Absolutely! See ya, Shizuku!
Goodbye, KeA!

That’s right. Sunset is going to hit us before we know it.
Now that I think about it, the sky’s turning all reddish, isn’t it? And I’m hungry, too! What’s for dinner?
She sure is a bundle of energy. Let’s go say our goodbyes to Cecile and then hop on one of the buses.

That night...

Revache & Co.

drat it all… This is all because you’re utterly incompetent!
...I have nothing to say.
B-But, didn’t you get that doll yourself, Don?
What the hell did you just say?
Keep your mouth shut. It doesn't matter. The responsibility lies with us. It was our duty to not let any intruders in.
Y-Yes, sir.
Hmph. Whatever. Speaker Hartmann has completely cut contact with us ever since then. Not only that, but goddamn Heiyue is getting more aggressive!
D-drat it all! At this rate…
Please relax, Don. Our stranglehold on Crossbell is as firm as ever. If we can fend off Heiyue’s onslaught, I’m sure even Speaker Hartm--
Garcia! Where the hell is the guarantee that we can even hold out against them?! You haven’t even managed to take the head of a single measly assassin!
Well…
drat it! At this rate, we won’t be able to rely on Hartmann’s assistance anymore. Grr… what should I do?
Anything is fair game at this point… I’ve decided it’s time we pull out our trump card.
Our trump card?!
Y-You don’t mean…
Are you sure, Don?!
Haha… Why so surprised, Garcia? That sort of insurance was made for times like this.
B-But… It’s way too risky! Forget the police. This is going to get the Bracer Guild on our asses!
The answer is simple: Crush Heiyue like the bugs they are before the guild even finds out. This seems like the perfect time to conduct a test run of our distribution network.

Well, things are definitely hurtling toward the end here. There’s no WAY Revache could shoot themselves in the foot, right? For now, though, that’s the end of the Intermission. We didn’t gain any promotions from our sidequests this time around, so I won’t bother showing off the total DP and whatnot. Next time, we start Chapter 4: Creeping Wisdom. As in, the questionable wisdom of getting loving roided up in order to beat the poo poo out of the opposing organization. But that too, is for another time...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thing I love about reading LP's of games I've beaten is that sometimes you see a throwaway line and just go "Ooooooh! OOOOOOOOOH!"

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 80: “Elie, your desperation is showing.”

There was still no sign of KeA’s memories returning, and even with the Bracer Guild’s help, the team still couldn’t verify her identity.

With the Anniversary Festival over and the mayoral election still one month away, Crossbell had become fairly quiet.

The Special Support Section had adjusted to living with the young, rambunctious girl and returned to their regular duties.

Being a quick learner, KeA understood that the team worked during the day, so she offered to watch over the annex while they're out.

And then...

Lemonade in Hand (Evolution)

Yo, everyone!
Lloooooyd!

KeA used Tackle! It was super effective!

Garcia used Tackle! It was super effective!

Been a good girl while we were gone, KeA?
Yep! The goodest! I’ve been watching over the annex with Zeit aaaaall day long. I even read three books from the library, too.
Wow, that’s impressive.
They may only be children’s books, but she blew through all three of them this morning.
I always knew she was quite the intelligent girl. Seeing such growth in her reading comprehension has only solidified that sentiment. She has a bright future ahead of her.
Geez. Doting parents, each and every one of ya.
Heh. Not like I’m one to talk.
Huuuh? Oh, well! I’m too hungry to think about stuff. We should make lunch already!
All right, all right. It’s about that time, anyway.
Pretty sure it’s my day to cook. Is everyone fine with pasta?
That sounds wonderful.
I would eat just about anything you cook, Lloyd.
Save me an extra serving or two.
Haha, sure thing.
Lloyd, you’re making lunch?
I wanna help! Please, pleeease!
Have you ever cooked before, KeA?
Perhaps you remember something from your past involving it…?
Nope! In one of the books I was reading, one of the characters was a chef. And the stuff he made looked sooo tasty!
That explains that.
Well, then, KeA, I don't think I have any other choice but to take you up on your offer.
Yay! To the kitchen!

Hmm… We need to decide what kind of pasta we want to make. I think we have eggs and bacon from Armorica Village, so a carbonara wouldn't be too hard to pull off… but we also have some canned clams from Liberl. With those, we could make some spaghetti alle vongole. Still, if we don’t want to go fancy, we could always just whip up some meat sauce and chop some eggplant.

All right, choose carefully, now. The fate of the whole world is balanced upon your very choice here. The wrong decision will spring the Organization’s trap upon u-

Yeah, we’re going with Spaghetti alle Vongole. Who knows how long those clams have been in the fridge for? And I’d rather not encourage food wastage, so…

What should I do?
Hmm, would you mind bringing me the ingredients as I ask for them? I’m just about to start boiling the noodles.
Okie dokie!

Why are there two gas canisters lying around in the kitchen? That can’t be safe…

A little bit longer. When it comes to cooking pasta, the amount of time the pasta spends boiling is key. Once it hits that sweet spot, you take it out of the pot, toss the clams, sauce, and pasta into the pan, add some garlic and parsley… and bam! It’s ready.
Wooow, that’s amazing! I wanna try doing it! Please, please, pleeeeease!
You do?
(Not sure if this’ll work out… but I guess I’ll just keep a close eye on her.)
All right, then. Give it a try, KeA. Mind the flame, though!
Gotcha!

KeA takes over the stove.

You said wait for when it hits the sweet spot, then take it out and… put it in the pan…

(Looks like she’s a little lost. (I'm sure everyone will still scarf it down, even if a few mistakes are made. KeA's the one making it. after all.)

KeA suddenly emitting an azure glow.

KeA gratefully took the perfectly-cooked pasta from the pot and began to cook it with the other ingredients in the pan, as if she was an experienced chef.

What the heck?!
Magnifique! It’s ready!

That was incredible, KeA! You blew my cooking skills out of the water! How’d you know what to do?
I dunno! Something just flashed in my head, and I did it. Did I do it wrong?
Definitely not. I doubt I could ever cook a dish as amazing as this one. KeA, have you learned to cook before? That might explain it.
Hmm. Maybe? Oh, well! I just know that my tummy’s rumbling, so let’s go eat!

Did KeA really make all of this?
Well, I gathered all the ingredients and prepped them. But after putting the pasta in the pot, it was all her.
Seriously?!
For a moment, I almost mistook the dish as one served at high-end restaurants… Well done, KeA.
Hehehe. Glad ya like it!
What if she’s the daughter of a family of professional chefs…? Well, if she has parents, they must be freaking out about her by now…
...One would think. However, there’s not much more we can do about it. Even with the guild’s information network on our side, we still haven’t learned anything substantial yet…
It’s possible that she’s from some remote region or was swept up in unusual circumstances, I suppose.
What’s wrong, everyone?
Hey, if you start thinkin’ like that, we’re never gonna make any progress. Until we actually start findin’ some clues, she’s our responsibility. Ain’t that right?
Yeah, you’re right. At any rate, I feel pretty bad for the chief right about now. He totally missed out on trying some of KeA’s delicious, homemade pasta.
He’s in another meeting at the precinct, right? It seems like there’s been a lot of those recently.
Now that you mention it, there HAS been, hasn’t there? Could there be something happening that we aren’t aware of?

Suddenly, the SSS annex's phone starts ringing.

A call? I wonder who it’s from…
Doubt it’s the chief or Fran, considerin’ it’s not comin’ from your Enigma.

Lloyd, is that you? It’s Noel. Um, I mean, Sergeant Major Seeker from the Guardian Force.
Oh, hey! It’s been almost a month since we last talked, right? Did you need the SSS to help you with something, Sergeant Major?
Yes, actually. U-Umm… there’s something I need a bit of private advice about, so I decided to call you guys.
Private? What’s this about?
Oh. I say private, but it’s still very much Guardian Force business. I’m, uh, sorry for calling you out of the blue like this…
It’s no big deal. We were in the middle of having lunch, anyway. So, where are you now? If you want to talk face-to-face, we can make it happen.
O-Oh, really? As of now, I’m at the city’s north exit. Would you care if I came to you?
Feel free. By the way, have you eaten yet? I could whip up some more pasta for you, if you want.
N-No, that won’t be necessary…

Noel’s stomach audibly growls over the phone.

Thanks, Lloyd… I’ll start making my way to the annex, if you don’t mind.
Awesome. We’ll be waiting for you.
See you soon!

Sergeant Major seeker, believe it or not. She says she needs some advice on something work-related.
Whew, no kidding?
Is someone coming to visit?
Yes, KeA. A girl from the Guardian Force.
Guard-ee-an Force?
She tried to make it sound like she wasn’t hungry, but I say we make another serving of pasta for her. Up to the challenge, KeA?

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting it to be so tasty! Did KeA really make that?
Yep, I sure did! Though, Lloyd did all the… prep? I think that’s what he called it.
Well, you should be proud! I’ve actually been hearing a lot of stories about you from Fran, but… who knew that, on top of being the cutest thing ever, you were also an amazing cook?
It sounds like Fran has taken a real liking to KeA.
Oh, she certainly has. Whenever we communicate through the terminal, she always asks to talk to KeA.
Ahaha. That sounds like Fran, all right. She’s always had a soft spot for cute kids…
Hey, Noel! Are you Fran’s big sister? ‘Cause your hair is the same color as her’s and your face looks basically the same.
Y-You think so? She’s always been the cuter Seeker sister, though…
O-Oh, I nearly forgot the reason why I came here in the first place. Mind if I start explaining the situation, everyone?
No, go ahead.
It was about those ruins on the outskirts of the mountain path, right?
Right. The thing is...

C.P.D. −Crossbell Police Deparment

At the very least, it wasn’t seen up until our investigations started and it never fails to show up when we do…
So, the guys over at Bellguard Gate were in charge of the initial investigation, but ended up withdrawing. That means that Tangram Gate is up to bat now?
Right. I attempted to investigate the place with a handful of guardsmen yesterday… but as soon as that creepy monster showed up, they all got cold feet.
W-Wait a second, Sergeant Major… are you, by any chance… asking us to participate in an exorcism?
N-No, not exactly. The CGF's objective is to simply perform a thorough search of the ruins‘ interior… You can’t do it, I assume?
W-Well, I wouldn’t say that… I’m just afraid that we don’t have much experience investigating ruins, that’s all… But the fact that you turned to us of all people means that you have some particular reason, right?
Sharp as always, Lloyd. Remember when we fought those weird monsters before? And how our arts were working differently than usual then?
The threat letter case?!
Don’t tell me…!
Are you implying that it’s the same as our venture into Stargazer’s Tower? As in, you felt the presence of the higher elements there, Sergeant Major?
Exactly. I couldn’t help but be reminded of how I felt back then. Because of that, I was wondering if I could get your input and, possibly, your cooperation…
I see.

...but if nothing gets done, the commander is probably going to order us to forget it.
Well, he‘s always been a big advocate of the 'Let sleepin' dogs Iie' way of managing, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.
Hmmm… Since she came all this way to ask us, why don’t we work together on this? Sure, it’s outside the city, but the way she’s describing it has me worried.
The similarities ARE staggering.
I have no objections.
No problemo. Doesn’t look like Elle is too hot about the idea, though, eh?
Th-That’s not true!

Superstitious, eh, Elie? All right, lemme break out the ol’ tarot deck, then. Let’s see here… Wheel of Fortune, huh? Sorry kiddo, but it looks like you can’t escape from crossing fate.

N-No, that’s crazy talk. It’s just that we’ll need to be extremely cautious, going up against an unknown foe and all…
...I can’t blame you for being scared, Elie. I wouldn’t want to go through with all this either, if it weren’t for my duty. But leaving everything as is, as if nothing happened…? I just can’t accept that.
Sergeant Major…
I understand that feeling all too well.
You know, Elie… if you want, you can stay behind and watch the annex…
Geez! All right, fine! I’m definitely NOT staying behind!
Elie, your desperation is showing.
C’mon, Elle, I thought you were supposed to be the composed one.
...Can we move on?
We've received quite a few other Support Requests today. What do we do? Forget about them?
*sigh* That’s a good point… It’d probably be tricky to meet up with her AFTER we take care of them…
Oh, if that’s the case… allow me to accompany you throughout the rest of the day. I drove my CGF car here, so I can take you all across Crossbell if you’d like.
Whoa. Is that even allowed?
If I’m using it for transportation, it shouldn’t be a problem. How about we head to the ruins after we finish up the Support Requests? That should work, right?
I believe so. It'd certainly be more efficient to use the car, too.
It’s decided, then. KeA, we’re going to be out for most of the afternoon. Could you watch the annex with Zeit for us?
Sure! Everyone, have fun getting rid of the big bad ghost!

Afternoon in Crossbell

I'd be happy to give you a ride, as long as we stay within state borders. Just let me know, okay?
That’d be great. Thanks. So, just to clarify, we're talking about the ruins beyond the fork that's halfway into the mountain path, right?
We hiked down that path some time ago. That time, however, it was barricaded off by the CGF.
That's the one. The road is pretty rough, so you'll have to tackle the mountain path on foot.
Time to wrap things up here and have ourselves a hike, then!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Don't let KeA touch a weapon or else she'll turn into a master fighter?

What does access to Noel's car mean mechanically? Just fast-travel to locations without needing to walk through the monster-infested roads?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Fast-travel to locations and a free HP/CP heal.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-from-zero
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-to-azure

Guess what accidentally got put up early on EGS.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The announcement is not only official, but look who's partnered with NIS America to make the official release:

https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/06/25/from-fantasy-to-reality-our-partnership-with-nis-america/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I figured that the Geofront files might not last long after release, so I'm glad that I was able to get those before they took them down themselves. I bought Zero and will be buying the license for Azure soon. I'm halfway-ish through my replay of Trails the 3rd and will start up on Zero soon.

What's the best spoiler-light/spoiler-free walkthrough for not missing stuff in Zero and Azure? I will try to play it blind with a bunch of saves. Once I finish a part I'll check the walkthrough and go back and see if there's anything I missed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I figured that the Geofront files might not last long after release, so I'm glad that I was able to get those before they took them down themselves. I bought Zero and will be buying the license for Azure soon. I'm halfway-ish through my replay of Trails the 3rd and will start up on Zero soon.

What's the best spoiler-light/spoiler-free walkthrough for not missing stuff in Zero and Azure? I will try to play it blind with a bunch of saves. Once I finish a part I'll check the walkthrough and go back and see if there's anything I missed.

I used this one for Zero and this one for Azure and got everything in both games. The only spoilers in the latter are boss names but the spoiler-y ones are behind tags. Same with the first, only they're not behind tags.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I used this one for Zero and this one for Azure and got everything in both games. The only spoilers in the latter are boss names but the spoiler-y ones are behind tags. Same with the first, only they're not behind tags.

Thank you, that'll come in handy, although that's the same link twice.

EDIT:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Oops! I fixed that

Thanks, again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 28, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oops! I fixed that

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 81: “What’s goin’ on here? Why’s this feel hella awkward?”

Let’s check out our new, shiny mode of transportation that Noel’s providing for us today. We’ll be getting ‘round to book stuff soon, but c’mon… we gotta get our priorities in order.

I remember getting a ride from you before.
Yes, this gal is mine. This CGF light-armored car can handle any kind of terrain thrown at it.
Seems like it’d bow out pretty quickly if it got shot by a tank, though. The only thing this could defend against is probably a gatling gun at best.

Psst, Randy. She just wants to sperg about her ride, okay? Just smile and nod along. It’s not like you’ve got anything better besides a metropass or a unicycle or some poo poo. Just leave it be...

Well, Crossbell doesn’t have any tanks of its own… Relying on maneuverability might be our best chance at defense.
That is true. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but Crossbell similarly doesn’t own a single patrol ship. With Crossbell’s budget, I would imagine they could stockpile ships by the dozen… I assume this must be due to pressure from Erebonia and Calvard?
Yes, exactly. More so Erebonia, actually. They ran into trouble with Liberl's patrol ships 12 years ago, so they take them much more seriously.
Besides, it wouldn't go over well
if we ignored them and sided with the opposition. This sort of speculation is always off and on in the Empire. Same goes for the Republic.
Interesting… Considering Crossbell's varied terrain, airships would make patrols go a lot smoother, don't you think?
*sigh* You’re not wrong. Well, I can’t complain. If you ever need to travel by car, I’d be happy to assist. I can take you anywhere you need, so long as I can drive there.

In short, Noel’s car acts as our fast travel function for the day. In addition to being able to travel all around Crossbell (i.e. Anywhere inside Crossbell City or at a bus stop), we can also travel directly to our objective for the day.

The vehicle also functions as an inn where we can rest up and recover our HP/CP. Pretty handy!

For now, though, we’ll be using it to complete today’s Support Requests. It really isn’t that much different than a bus when you get down to it, but it’s nice while it lasts.

Once again, we’ll be taking a drive by all around the state. Our first stop is St. Ursula Medical College, where we can find someone on the rooftop who can teach us how to make Colorful Tomato Burgers (20% HP / CP +45).

We’ll be getting Back Alley Doctor Glenn - Ch. 12, next. I’m keeping in the dialogue, because it’s kinda funny, at least to me:

If so, I wholeheartedly recommend this.

Received Back Alley Doctor Glenn - Ch. 12

Huh, wasn’t expectin’ ya to be such a hardcore reader.
Be it for pleasure or not, reading is a cultural experience that should be appreciated, no matter the material. And I find these novels much more enjoyable than the profane magazines you love to read. Although, I assume you do more staring than reading.
Hey, don’t go knocking on photo shoots… After all, they’re my lifeblood! Couldn’t live without ‘em.
(Really, Randy…?)

Back Alley Doctor Glenn - Ch. 12[/quote posted:

Rufus summoned doctors involved with the procedure--now taking place in two days-- to one of Emeria's conference rooms.

He introduced the cure as Glenn's new, more efficient version of an existing technique. The other doctors received him coldly at first. Glenn, a man running a back alley clinic downtown... Could his skills be trusted? Few of them knew of his past fame. But, thanks to Rufus' keen recommendation, and Glenn's detailed rundown of the procedure, they withdrew their objections one by one.

Until the day of the operation, Rufus and Glenn went over the procedure again and again, to ensure it would go as planned.

Nurse Sherry continued to reassure Hugo. Unlike when he was certain he would lose his hands, his eyes now seemed alive.

Finally, the day of the operation arrived.

Hugo's parents, busy with work, hadn't come to visit until then, but on this day, they made time.

'I'll see you soon.'

These could have been his last words. For this reason, he smiled at his worried parents. The presence of two excellent doctors firmly reassured him of the odds.

The doctors brought him to the operating room. They sterilized equipment and prepared necessary surgical instruments. Glenn, the operating surgeon, stood before the patient, now under anesthesia. The other doctors, led by Rufus, took their positions.

Glenn had tidied himself, now wearing light blue surgical attire. He tied his hair up, hiding its normally unkempt state while adding an air of elegance. Nurse Sherry, too, attended as an assistant to Glenn and Rufus. She exchanged a glance with Glenn, and he nodded.

'Well then...I'll start the procedure.' The scalpel was handed over to Glenn, and it began.

The incision lines were marked on the boy's bare chest. With a practiced hand, the scalpel moved over the marks, exposing the inside.

As man evolved, so too did the human body refine itself. Anatomical parts reconfigured as one, like an elegant link of orbal gears.

However, bodies break down due to illnesses and injuries. It is the doctor's job to fight this and protect the elegance of life.

Each time Glenn performed a surgery, he felt delighted to perform his duty. He was grateful to the Goddess for giving him his talent. With his skillful scalpel movements, the procedure was progressing smoothly.

Everyone observed Glenn's artful, surgical diligence: Sherry, wiping sweat off his face; Rufus, handling surgical tools; and the other doctors, supervising key elements such as equipment and anesthesia.

At last, the boy's heart was exposed. It must have taken a long time, but everyone felt he reached that point in the blink of an eye.

A sinister, dark growth clung to the surface of the otherwise healthy organ.

This was the tumor associated with crystallization. It had taken the life of his lover, Katarina.

'A little more... Hang in there, Hugo!' Sherry spoke to the sleeping boy.

At that moment, Glenn's hand stopped.

Next up, we have the Crossbell Times segment for this chapter. Let’s check that out:

Crossbell Times 7 posted:

[Featured Story] Budget Committee & Mayoral Elections

◆Imperial Faction, Republican Faction, and Mayor◆

Even after the diet's initial session for determining budget allocations was postponed, the current session already shows signs of being a drawn-out affair.

Today in the assembly, Speaker Hartmann, leader of the Imperial Faction, was debating intensely his rivals, the Republican Faction. The hall quickly turned into a whirlwind of dirty jeers. Mayor MacDowell struggled to keep order. In the end, only a meager three paragraphs of legislation were approved.

◆About the Upcoming Mayoral Election◆

Mayor MacDowell's term will be up in four months' time. That means the next mayoral election is approaching. Yesterday, MacDowell, who previously declared he would retire after the current term, made another announcement, 'I can't leave the government in its current state.' Speaker Hartmann is rumored to have plans to run for the office, after having already secured his next term as speaker. If elected, a politician from his Imperial Faction would likely take his seat as speaker. Representative Campbell of the Republican Faction is wary of this, and he's using his connections to try to establish a third-party candidate.

◆How Will It Turn Out?◆

We asked a businessman about the upcoming election. It was none other than Chairman Mors of the Business Owner's Association (response below):

'The focus of the election will be on how trustworthy the candidates are. The citizens are unhappy about the political chaos. They will want to lend their support to a candidate who can both reform the government and improve the state.'

[Finance] Economy Is Booming

Due to a strong Anniversary Festival, businesses in the city benefited royally. After the IBC released its interim report, there are signs that those affiliated with the IBC's ventures will see even more growth. Construction-related companies are playing it safe due to the budget committee's status, but it seems that investors are interested after seeing next year's economic forecast.

[Society] Powerful Monsters Appear?

We have received reports that never-before-seen monsters have been spotted on the highways near Crossbell. Citizens and tourists walking the roads have already suffered injuries, and the Bracer Guild is imploring people to exercise caution.

[Leisure] Crossbell's Gourmet Experience

Morges Bakery on West Street is known for its freshly-baked bread. This store even offers a new special bread every month. With my mouth stuffed, I can only utter 'Superb!' Mr. Oscar, only 18 years old, bakes these specialties. Why not go check out this young prodigious patissier's bread?

Somewhere, in prison, Former Secretary Ernest Reis is very :argh:

Finally, to wrap up our item collection today, we have two recipes: Sincere Lunchbox (40% HP, cures ailments) and Long Lao Tanmen (Restores 80% HP, STR +10%, DEF +10%) from Mainz and the Harbor District respectively. Long Lao Tanmen might actually be a reference to Japan’s Tantanmen (which in turn is a ramen take on Chinese Dandan Noodles) but who knows?

In any case, let’s go make our rounds today. It’s been a while since we’ve talked to NPCs, so let’s drop by and say hi…

H-Hello there, Tio…
Long time no see, Chief Roberts.
You’re from the Epstein Foundation, right? Uh, did you come to leave Tio a new weapon or something again?
A-Actually, I heard that the Special Support Section was involved in something dangerous recently… Ahem. They were just some silly rumors from Gironde, though. Nothing more than that, really.
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to worry you.
It was gettin’ pretty crazy for a bit, but everything’s cool now.
Yes, there’s no need to worry. The past two to three weeks have been relatively peaceful.
V-Very well, then. I’m glad to hear that.
Ah, Tio! I have the latest model orbal staff with me. Put it to good use, okay?
Lloyd was right, after all…

I appreciate your modesty, Neston. You never fail to place the customer’s needs above all. It appears my grandfather’s praise hit the mark. I hope you strive for your best.
You’re too kind, Miss Elie. I pray that I’m able to allow this store to live up to its expectations.

Hi, Mom.
What’s goin’ on here? Why’s this feel hella awkward?
I wouldn’t say that… It’s just, we see each other pretty often, so there’s no need for a teary-eyed reunion.
You all seem like a tight-knight family.
I’m sure that must make you happy, Mrs. Seeker.

My suspicions were confirmed. Sergeant Major Seeker is spoiled by her family, isn’t she?

Sorry, we don’t have any new intel on KeA.
Not even the guild’s powerful network of information was able to produce results?
Yeah… I figured we’d hear a thing or two, but it’s been total silence.
Eh, I don’t see the problem. KeA’s become totally accustomed to the SSS. I’d rather we put our energy into giving her a chance to live a normal life than to pry into her past.
Yeah? I guess that’s one way to do it, too. Anyway, we’ll keep lookin’ out for any more clues in the background. Do let us know if you find anythin’ out on your own.
We will. Thank you for assisting us, again.

This morning, Joachim fought hard and managed to catch the biggest most impressive noble carp I’ve ever seen! His achievement has earned him the rank of Master Fisher. He sure caught up to me quick, eh?
I don’t think Professor Guenter has changed one bit since we first met him.
Haha. That sounds like a good story to tell Cecile later.

Joachim Guenter spends ten hours a day fishing in Stardew Valley.

*glug* *glug* Airy-air Eriboniah lovely. Heh...heheheh…

Yeah, just taking care of a few things. Any changes in the Downtown District?
I suppose the Testaments are the same as usual.
But enough about that. I see a new face among your ranks. Is she from the CGF?
Yeah. Circumstances led us to working together, so she’s with us for the time being.
My name’s Noel Seeker. Are you an acquaintance of the SSS? It’s a pleasure to meet you.
I could tell her to loosen up, but I bet it’d be way more fun to mess with her. Don’t you guys think so, too?
Excuse me?
Honestly, Wazy.
Oh, come on. Manners are wasted on a bad boy like myself. I’d rather hear a girl like her yell at me until she’s red in the face.

Randy’s probably totally into that. Everyone else, though? Gonna kink shame.

Furthermore, what’s with your wardrobe? Dress more like someone your age!
Yep, that’s definitely more like that. ♥
*glare*
(Bringing someone as straight-laced as the sergeant major here might have been a miscalculation…)
(Haha, I wouldn’t say that. They seem to be gettin’ along juuuust fine.)

Yer still a total newbie!

Dino: What’s got your panties in a bunch? All I said was that I was bored of bein’ a guard dog. Lemme in on your training sessions, Jedd. I need to see some action.

(Is it just me, or is this guy totally playing with fire?)

Man’s Voice: Well, it’s exactly as you say! Who would have thought I’d meet a character such as yourself in Crossbell?

Young Man’s Voice: You’re something, too, old man. You weren’t satisfied with just being a banker your whole life, so you shot for the stars. I should follow in your footsteps. ♥

Hey, isn’t that Mr. Crois’ limousine? They seem to be engaged in some kind of conversation in there…

Hahaha, you truly are unique! I’d be horrified to let your talent slip away from me. Allow me to be frank. How would you like to come to work for me?!
Hmm…? Ohhh, you want me to work under the IBC CEO…? What’s my hourly wage?
Hahahaha…! You’re a genuine comedian, too!
Ahahahahaha! ♪
(Wh-What the hell is this guy’s deal…?)
(I can’t believe he already worked himself into Uncle Dieter’s good graces…)

Nice, Franz. You finally made up your mind?
Haha, yeah, but the amount I study still isn’t ennough. Even if you ignore the practical exam, I’m still pretty bad at classwork. I’m thinking I might get a better grasp on what I should study if I take the exam once, though.
Only problem is, they’ve strengthened patrols lately, which has been sucking up my free time. What’s with the chain of incidents recently?

Did you end up talking to Lloyd and the others about it?
Yeah, they said they’d help.
Oh, you told Fran?
I had originally consulted Fran before talking to you guys.
You guys actually think there’s a ghost out there? I’m having trouble believing a load of baloney like that!
I told you I really saw one! I’m not entirely certain that it was a ghost, but it was definitely monstrous…
Huh? But…
Sorry to interrupt you two, but you’re spooking Elie out.
O-Oh, I’m so sorry!
Heehee, I’m sorry, Elie. (Is she scared of ghosts, or something?)
N-No, I’m fine. A simple discussion isn’t enough to s-scare me…

You again, Randy? Yeesh. Shoo, shoo! We don’t need you around here. I don’t appreciate how ruthless you’ve been. Our profits have gone down the drain.
Something’ wrong?
Hmm? No, it’s nothing important. Just try to keep it casual, please. It’s all about having fun, right? Those who gamble are destined to one day suffer the consequences.

I apologize for misunderstanding, my lady. However, if one were to consider your weaknesses, only one thing comes to mind. After all, I seem to recall you being visibly shaken at any mention of ghosts when you were but a child.
Wait, so Elle ISN’T perfect? Color me surprised!
I apologize, Elie. My request has made you uncomfortable.
O-Oh, please. I-It’s not like I’m b-bad with gh-ghosts… You don’t need to worry about me, Noel.

It’s lovely to see you again.
Sorry to barge in with a crowd every time, Auntie.
Haha, I don’t mind at all! Things are more lively this way. It seems like you guys are hard at work again.
What’s this? I don’t believe I’ve seen that girl before. Is she a new member of the SSS? You look like a lovely young lady.
L-Lovely? I-I serve the Guardian Force, and, um, I’m cooperating with the S-Special Support S-Section for now!
Ya gotta chill out a bit, Noel.
S-Sorry, I’m not doing it on purpose… I’m just a bit shocked because it’s the f-first time anybody’s ever called me that.

I wouldn’t worry, Noel. Visiting Cecile’s mom is just how the SSS inducts people into their Mickey Mouse Club.

Hello, everyone!
Hello, you two. I really appreciate what you did the other day, Shizuku. For becoming friends with KeA, I mean.
I-It was nothing. I think I should be the one thanking you, actually… Um, how is she?
Oh, she’s great. Girl’s so active, we have trouble keepin’ up with her.
She never gets tired of running around, that’s for sure.
Yes, but we are still no closer to recovering her memories.
I’m sorry to hear that. Um, could you pass along a message to KeA? ‘I would love to come play with you sometime soon.’
Will do, Shizuku. Believe me, you’re welcome at the annex anytime.

Let me guess, you guys are busy working?
Right. We’re in the middle of finishing up a few small jobs.
You guys stayin’ at the inn? Quality place. I fully recommend it.
Yep, that’s right. Though, we weren’t planning on staying. The truth is, we ran into a snag while working on a monster extermination yesterday, and we missed the bus…
Not left with many options, we decided to just stay at the inn.
Something gave you two trouble? I’m almost hesitant to believe it.
Was it that strong?
Wellll, it was like those wanted monsters from before, but with a bit of a twist. For some reason, a BUNCH of them showed up on the highway.
And what’s odder than that, they all seemed much stronger than they were last time...

That’s unusual, yeah…
The CGF has received reports about these appearances, too. Luckily, they don’t seem to pose any threat to the bus service.
Huh, would ya look at that? It ain’t all bad.
Still, something like this isn’t normal… We should keep our eyes open.

And on that note, we’ll end for this update. Next time, we tackle on some support requests and wander around Crossbell some more!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The smaller core cast is really what puts these two games head and shoulders above Sky and Steel. Even side characters like Fran get a ton of love. Crossbell feels far more alive to me than Liberl or Erebonia.

Also, I know I never say a lot, but I'm trying to spark conversation because these games are worth discussing and you're doing a great job, Pyre.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I've been quiet because outside an hour or so of the first Sky, I don't have any experience with the series, but I'm enjoying the LP, so keep it up.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Lovely to see the LP still going on!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The smaller core of characters does help a little, but it still seems like the writers sometimes still struggle at keeping different some of them relevant, instead of just merely "there".

I've actually since finished both this and Azure using the Geofront patch (before it was taken down), so I'll also be a little quieter as to try to avoid giving spoilers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking of the Geofront patches, I'm looking forward to seeing them become the official localizations. Really seems like the dream for a fan translation group and I'm happy for them.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Been busy torn between job hunting and getting burnt out and/or annoyed at the series after ToCS IV. Sorry for the wait.

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking of the Geofront patches, I'm looking forward to seeing them become the official localizations. Really seems like the dream for a fan translation group and I'm happy for them.

Ys vs. Trails Alternative Saga releases in a few days! :toot:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I got into Trails a few months back with the first Cold Steel game and immediately got hooked with this series. I proceeded to play CS2, then recently completed all three Sky games. I wanted to see a play-through of Zero and Azure before I get to CS3 and 4, rather than watch a summary lore video of the events of these game, so I’m really happy that this LP is still getting updated!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Been busy torn between job hunting and getting burnt out and/or annoyed at the series after ToCS IV. Sorry for the wait.

Were this a general thread I'd love to hear why you feel that way after IV, because while I enjoyed it, I did have a few issues with it, myself.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 82: “You are free to check it out AFTER we have returned it to the library.”

First stop today will be the library to tackle on ‘State-Wide Overdue Book Retrieval’ request. God, I remember when my library books went overdue all the time back in elementary school. And when the librarian turned into the ones from Welcome to Nightvale and began hunting me down.

Afternoon in Crossbell (Kiseki jdk Acoustics)

Ah, Lloyd. It’s good to see you. Could it be?
Yep, we’re here for work. You’ve requested our help, right?
Yep, I sure did. I’m glad you guys came here so quickly. Thank you. I’m in your debt.
I believe you were asking for help to locate and retrieve overdue books. Haven’t we done this before?
Yep. This isn’t the first time I’ve requested this of you. Let’s get to it, shall we? Allow me to explain the details.
Yeah, of course.
Great! I’ll get to it, then. We’ve had several cases of people forgetting to return their books. I'm terribly sorry, but I'd like for you to
locate and return the books to me once more.
I am not surprised to see this many people failing to return their books on time.
Well, whatever. Let's just knock this bad boy outta the park again.
I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but it won’t be as easy this time.
Care to elaborate?
Every person with an overdue book is not a citizen of Crossbell City. They all live on the outskirts of the state.
Do you at least have their addresses?
I sure do. First up is… Alfred, who lives in Armorica Village. Next is Logy. He’s a miner that lives in Mainz. Lastly, we have Flora. A medical intern at St. Ursula Medical College.
They really are on the outskirts…
Man, you’re tellin’ me we gotta go all over the state for some books?
I hate disorganized people.
N-Now, now. This isn’t so bad…
I told you it was going to be difficult. There was a reason we couldn't do it ourselves. Anyway, do you mind taking care of this for your uncle?
On the bright side. we can use my car if we do it right now. That wouldn't be too bad, right?
That’s not a bad idea. Sounds like we’ll be relying on you to drive us around, Sergeant Major. I think it’s time we get started.
Great, thank you. Please return to me once you’ve collected all three books. I’m counting on you, everybody.

No, Randy and Tio are right. Burn ALL books and bow down to our new .epub overlords.

Might as well take the car for a ride while we’re at it! Tio… you get the middle seat.

Armorica Village

Armorica:

Yes, that’s me. Oh, the Special Support Section? You were the ones who searched the Ancient Battlefield for that couple. right?

“Yes, but we’re here to beat you up for your books and lunch money, now.”

Do you need something from me?
Yes, sir. You see. we're working on a request we received from the library. We came to collect an overdue book from you. Do you have any idea where it is?
Oh, that? I apologize for being so careless. That’s very unlike me. Give me a second, and I’ll go grab it for you.
U-Uh, sir?
Did you lose it?
I-I don’t think I LOST it, per se… Hmm, where in the world could that book have gone…?
Oh, right.

A book…?
Yes. a book. THAT book. You told me that you'd like to give it a read, so I let you borrow it.
Ohhh, that book! Yes. I remember now. Sorry about that. Let me go find it for you.
Let me get this straight… You subleased a library book?
How thoughtless…
H-Haha…
I’m ashamed, I assure you. Normally, I’d never do such a thing… With so many books to read, I must have not thought it through all the way. Gofan, did you find the book?
About that…
What? How could you have possibly lost it?
U-Uh, so…
Just wait a second, please. I’ll try to remember what I did with it…
...I’ve got it! If I'm not mistaken, I accidentally let a customer borrow it after he wouldn't stop badgering me about it!
WHAT?! How do you 'accidentally' lend someone a book?!
Sub-subleasing?!
This is unbelievable… Who exactly did you lend it to?
It was Elkin. the guy who's always tinkering with the orbal truck near the village gate. Oh, I messed up big time… Please forgive me.
I-lt's okay. You already lent it to someone, and what's done is done.
Okay, evergone. Let's find Elkin and see if he has it.

By the chain of logic established earlier, that means we need to wait for Gohan to beat up Elkin, Alfred to beat up Gohan, and then the SSS can get their turn in before getting beaten up by manly, manly Uncle Miles. Unlimited Library Works is nothing to sneeze at, y’know?

Hmm? That‘s right. Need something?
We're from the CPD. If you have time, we'd like to speak with you about something.

Lloyd explained they were here to collect the overdue book.

Oh... Yeah, I borrowed that book.
Do you have it on you?
Well, funny thing, that… I may have lent it to someone.
Are you serious?!
drat, this is gettin' ridiculous… Are we at sub—sub—subleasing now?
I wasn't expecting this...
I'm just wondering what sort of book would get passed around like this. It‘s pretty unbelievable, at this point.
l—I'm so sorry! I know I messed up! It‘s just, he wanted to read the book so badly, I let him borrow it against my better thinkin'! Y'all gotta understand, l'd ain‘t have done it if I knew it was gonna turn out like this!
P—Please, calm down! If you lent it, you lent it! What's in the past is in the past.
Who exactly did you give it to?
Ahem. Sorry about that. U—Um, it was Mr. Donald, one of the farmers. He lives in the house next to Reoir General Store.
*sigh* Well, everyone, let's hope that this is the final stretch.

All right… all right! Fine! We’ll wait for Elkin to beat up Mr. Donald and get beaten up by Gohan in turn. Then Alfred can break a bar stool over Gohan’s head, giving him a concussion, before the SSS shoot, stun, light him on fire, and give him percussive maintenance. We don’t talk about the heinous acts of thuggery Uncle Miles pulls with this poo poo.

Lloyd explained that they were collecting overdue books.

Hmm, so ya came about that thing? If that's the case, you ain't gonna like what I have to say.
Oh. Oh, no. Surely not...
Sub-sub-sub-leasing?!

By library mandate, since you lost the book… you are legally obliged to do a literary rap-off with the librarian of the day. If you win, you only get to pay half the price of the book!

Err, I didn't exactly lend it out… I would read it durin' downtime on the farm, but my memory is kinda foggy as to where I left the darn thing. l mighta lost it.
N—No way... After all this searching…
We thought subleasing was bad, but it somehow got even worse...
Do you have any idea where you could have left it?
Oh, yeah. I last had it in the shed over by the apiary. The one right in front of the village chief's house. l was all relaxed, readin' that book there. Next time I looked for it, I couldn't find it. I’m sorry for the trouble, everyone.
Nothing we can do about it now. If that book is going to be anywhere, that shed is our best bet. Let's go check it out and put an end to this wild goose chase.

The book is on some crates inside the shed all the way on the east side of the village.

Phew, that turned into quite the search. I can't say I was expecting it to end up being an Arc en Ciel fan book, though...
lt certainly seems in demand.
Hey, we can't control what people want to read or not. If that thing has photos in it, I ESPECIALLY can't blame 'em. Hell, I almost want to take it and give it a read myself.
You are free to check it out AFTER we have returned it to the library.

To be honest, I’m not sure if Randy was being dirty, or my mind was in the gutter. Probably Randy being dirty, though...

Arc-en-Ciel presents: God of Cookery.

St. Ursula Medical College

St. Ursula Medical College:

Flora:That‘s right. Do you have some sort of business with me?

We're from the Crossbell Police Department, Special Support Section. We actually came to collect your overdue library book, if you don't mind.

Flora: Oh, so that's what this is about. Hmm, the thing is, I DO want to return it, but...

Are you implying you can't...?

Flora: Yes, well… You see, I like to grab medical textbooks from the Research Ward's reference room and study here. But from the looks of it, I must have mixed up the library book and textbooks when I was returning them to the reference room… By the time I realized that, I kind of forgot where I put it.

...Brilliant.
Well, guess that leaves us no choice.
| feel for her, though. I always lose track of where I put my mags.
| feel like that is the type of reading material that people make sure NOT to lose, Randy.
Knock it off, you two… Anyway, the overdue book should be on one of the reference room shelves, right?

Flora: Yes, I'm sure of it. I‘m sorry about this, but do you mind finding it for me? You can find the Research Ward on the hospital's roof, okay?

Don't worry, we know the place. Ready, everyone?

Yeah, this is a lot more than I was expecting.
This may take a while...
What a waste of time.
It's all a part of the job. No choice but to tear apart this place and find the sucker, eh?
Right. Let’s give this our best shot, everyone.
I’ll help out, too!

Yep, there's the library's stamp. This must be the book Flora checked out.
We did it!
We're lucky to have found it so quickly.
I'm just relieved we did not have to analyze every single bookshelf.
Well, our job's become a heck of a lot easier, now that we've found it.
Exactly. Ready to move, everyone?

Onto Mainz! But before that, a book.

Look, the solution is simple. Extend the number of hours per day to 36 rather than 24. Either that, or find a Time Mage to slay time and space.

We can find Logy near the entrance of the Mainz mine.

Mining Village of Mainz (Falcom Music Chronicle)

(You should listen to that arrangement, even if there’s different BGM for the mines.)

Huh? Yeah, who're you?
Special Support Section. Vou see, we had a request from the library today… Logy, do you have a book checked out from the library?
Ohhh, it's about that? Yeah, I still got it.
According to the librarian, it's a few days past its return date. Why did you not return it on time?
Ah, 'cause going all the way into the city is a pain.
(Straight to the point, eh?)
Well, since you came all the way out here, you might as well take it back for me. I was actually finishing it up during my break, just a little while ago.
Is something the matter?
I, uh, forgot to take it with me. So it's down at the bottom of the mine. Sorry, but I‘m swamped with work right now, Mind heading down there and grabbing it for me? Thanks. It‘s pretty deep into the mine, but if you take the stairs down, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Does your laziness know no bounds...?
He could give the CGF commander a run for his money in terms of laziness...
Well, it's not like it's a huge deal. Let‘s go find it, everyone.
Oh, by the way, don‘t try going into the abandoned mine over to the left. I didn't leave it in there, anyway.
R—Right…

The final overdue library book is located at the bottom of the mine shaft (just not the ABANDONED mine shaft). Simple enough, right? But, oh, there’s a catch. There’s always a catch as you may have surmised by now.

Judging by the title, this is no book I'd want to read...
A book that records strange phenomena that have occurred in Crossbell State… Despite what the title says, it does not seem as if the book confirms whether these events actually happened or not.
Y'know, I could see myself readin' somethin' like this to pass the time.
I know similar things have been investigated by the Guardian Force, but… I don't think any of that spooky stuff was ever formally substantiated.
(I won‘t be reading it, that‘s for sure...)
Well, now that we successfully retrieved the book, we should——

Arrest the Criminal

Tch, they've blocked our exit.
Here they come!

All right, I guess a roving band of murderous plants are going to tussle down with the SSS. Say hi again to the Nepenthes G! We fought them a few chapters back, and they have the same gimmick as before.

In case you’ve forgotten, the Nepenthes G are one of those assholes who LOVE to retaliate with a battlefield-wide AoE attack whenever they’re hit. Which basically boils down to “kill one at a time, or you’re loving dead, Jim”. Deciding to target them with group attacks will, well…

...Yeah.

I went with Lloyd, Elie, Tio, and Randy for my party for this battle, but you’re actually better off equipping Noel with Fire quartz and subbing out Lloyd for her. You see, there’s one particularly good reason for that…

And it’s because Noel’s Support is an AoE attack, which can be disastrous depending on how the Nepenthes G are positioned. If they were a little closer to each other, that would’ve been a defeat right there.

The reason why we sub Noel in instead of Lloyd is because Lloyd’s Support is a party-wide ATK/CP buff. No danger of triggering an Earth-Shaker attack from him.

The other part of it is that Nepenthes G has an elemental weakness against fire, hence why we equipped Noel with Fire quartz and why keeping Randy on the team is a good idea. Noel’s attacks and crafts naturally have an AoE, which is bad for this battle. Meanwhile, Elie can top everyone off with Holy Bullet, not to mention her S-Craft acts as a panic button in case things suddenly go south for whatever. Tio’s here to lob more fireballs at the enemy.

Randy’s here to do fire things and take advantage of his natural strengths. Lloyd should be cheerleading like he WISHED he did back in Calvard High, but didn’t (and regretted not ever doing so).

Outside of that, the battle is the same as before. You just need to be more cautious since there are more of them. Taking a moment to just have the whole party move forward and huddle up is a good idea, since you might not be able to target everyone with Holy Bullet as much otherwise.

Well, they weren't much of a threat for us.
Monsters always loiter along the path. This was simply a case of bad timing.
Good thing the book wasn‘t scratched up during the fight.
Right. Let's head to the exit, everyone.

Afternoon in Crossbell (Kiseki jdk Acoustics)

Were you able to collect all of the overdue books already?
Yeah, about drat time we did.
Here you are, Uncle Miles.

Great. Looks like you managed to collect all three of them in one piece. You've managed to do me yet another huge favor. Allow me to express my utmost gratitude again.
Haha... It feels kinda weird hearing that come from you, Uncle.
Wasn‘t that a bit too challenging to be a Support Request?
Not particularly. We handle requests of a similar nature on a daily basis.
Anyway, I believe this completes your request.
Sure does, Tio. Thank you so much! Again, I really appreciate it.
You're most welcome, Uncle.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Mining Village of Mainz (Falcom Music Chronicle)

(You should listen to that arrangement, even if there’s different BGM for the mines.)
This is lovely

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Goddamn...Liberlians and Crossbellians need to get their book habits in order.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 83: “Pretend the rest of them are sacks of potatoes or something!”

Time to fight the monster of the week day. The request to take out the Quetzalcoatl recommends that we slap some accessories that prevent Faint on our party. So we’ll do exactly that.

We can find the Quetzalcoatl in the area east of the bus stop in West Crossbell Highway. It’s worth noting that we can find miniature versions of this guy roaming around the highway in case you need to grind. As randos in Crossbell City have noted, the monsters lurking around the highways have been getting stronger.

Arrest the Criminal

Quetzalcoatl, according to Wikipedia, meant “Precious serpent” or “Quetzal-feathered Serpent” in the Nahuatl language. You can’t see it from this camera angle, but it does indeed have serpents for a head.

Anyway, the Quetzalcoatl has two default modes. He attack.

And he Grand Impact! ...Which is an AoE attack that has a high chance of inflicting faint on unsuspecting police officers and buses. But since we came forewarned and forearmed, the attack doesn’t put us in as much trouble as it should. Nothing a Holy Bullet can’t patch up.

One thing that’s worth noting is that these guys have poo poo movement. Bringing Noel to hamper their movement further is useful early on in the battle. From here, the other three can lay on some hurt to the other Quetalcoatl.

A quick scan reveals that our hits right here are weak to wind, which is what our spellcasters should be focusing on.

Keeping up the momentum and buffs will be enough to fell the horrid five-fingered beast. That’s another mark in the bag!

Afternoon in Crossbell

Next up, we’re going to take care of… Anton’s request. Anyone familiar with the series will know Anton as the recurring goofball whose main goal in life is to become a capture target in a shōjo manga.

I'm begging you, Aidios… Please let me meet with that beautiful angel again...
Excuse me... Are you Anton?
Yep, that's me, Who are you, though?
We're with the Crossbell Police Department's Special Support Section. We‘re here to consult you about a Support Request.
Oh! I've been waiting for you! There's a huge favor I need from you, and I‘m kinda in a hurry. Will you hear me out?
Yeah, we will.
The request stated that you're trying to locate a woman, right?
Yeah. I really need to find her so l can give her my thanks. She pulled me out of the darkness when no one else could.
Care to elaborate?
Sure. My best friend Ricky and I came here from Liberl. To be honest, my life stinks. I figured visiting somewhere a little more exciting might help turn it around.
F-Fair enough...
Nothing changed, though. I still got slapped across the face by the cold, cruel reality of my life. To make matters worse, I managed to lose my wallet...along with my travel expenses.
Ouch. That sounds unfortunate.
Well, yeah. Leave it to someone as dull and hopeless as myself to screw up that badly. I really am my own worst enemy, aren't I? Ricky already tried to help me find my wallet, but it was to no avail. I had no choice but to start borrowing money from him. I also considered cutting our trip short… however, that was when it all began. Just when all hope was lost, that kind lady gave me the helping hand I needed.
Man, l'm jealous. Not a lotta gals out there are that nice.
Seriously... It was all thanks to her efforts that l was able to get my wallet back in one piece. As you can imagine, I thought our meeting had to have been fated. She held out her hand for me when l was trapped in an endless pit of darkness, so to me, she's nothing short of an angel.
So...to make an unnecessarily long story short, you want us to find this girl, right?
Exactamundo! The problem is, I've been searching for her for the last three weeks, but I haven't found a single lead. I asked the Bracer Guild to help a poor guy out, but they turned me down. They claimed that it'd be a low priority case, since she isn't exactly missing. They had far more important work they needed to focus on. Hell, if this were Liberl, I'd be able to get help with something as mundane as a drinking con...test… :stare:
Are you okay...?
...l‘m fine. Just reopened an old wound. A—Anyway, moving along… Ricky heard about your team while he was out on the town, so he submitted a request for me. Your team's pretty much like the Bracer Guild, right? Cmon, help a poor guy out.

See here if you want context on said drinking contest.

Your work has a much wider scope than I thought did,
To be fair, something like this is quite rare… So, what's the plan, Lloyd?
I don't know how I feel about the CPD involving themselves in other people‘s personal affairs.
(She makes a good point.)
Gotta be honest with you guys. I kinda wanna scope out this chick. What'd she look like, anyway? Bet she's cute as heck, yeah? ♪
Cute as heck doesn't even BEGIN to describe her. I still have her burned into my memory. Her gentle aura soothes the most dissolute of men. Her calm voice oozes with kindness. And don't even get me started on her utterly adorable, auburn pigtails...
Huh? I can't help but shake the feeling that I know someone like that.
I agree. That sounds awfully familiar...
I, too, seem to recall encountering someone of a similar description frequently.
Well, he's clearly talkin' about our Fran, ain't he?

There's a strong chance we do… You said she had auburn—colored hair… Was it roughly the same color as mine?
Y-YEAH! It is! It totally is! No way... Don‘t tell me… Are you related to each other?!
As long as this isn't the world's biggest coincidence, I'm actually her older sister.
Oh, sweet Aidios! You‘ve done it again! You hear that, Ricky?! Fate strikes again!

Ricky: Sure, Anton. If that's what your heart believes, then maybe you‘re right. Though, you're kinda ignoring the possibility that she might not actually be 'the one.‘

E-E-Excuse me, dear sister!
Wh-What?!
Does she have...you know… A romantic partner already?!
H-Huh?! U-Um... Not that I've heard of… We don't live together, but she's never told me anything of the sort.
I see... A-Anyway, I'd like to really show her my most heartfelt thanks before I head back to Liberl. Would you do me the great honor of asking her to meet with me?
Hmm… Well, I suppose I don't mind. Is that all right with you, Lloyd?
All right. We'll accept your request.
Yes! Thank you so, so, SO much! O-Okay, then. I'm counting on you guys. Please get her to promise to meet with me again!
Now that it‘s settled, we should head over to the precinct and see if we can get a hold of her. I bet she's manning the reception desk right now,
Good idea. I'll come along with you.

All right, to the CPD...

Did you guys run into a snag while you were investigating those ruins?
No, not quite...
We're actually here to speak to you, Fran.
With me? D-Did I do something wrong?
N-No. We're in the middle of an important request. You see, there‘s a tourist claiming that you helped him during the last day of the Anniversary Festival… You apparently helped him find his wallet. Does that ring any bells?
Hmm... A wallet...? Lemme think about that for a second… Oh right! I DO remember that! He‘s a traveler from Liberl, right?
So he really DlD meet Fran.
Boy, let me tell you. That was one hard day. l was on my way home from work, when I ran into a man on the verge of tears… I knew I couldn't just leave him like that. We were out past sundown trying to track down that darn wallet of his!
Leave it to Fran to drop everything to help some poor schmuck she doesn't even know.
Well, I AM a member of the police force. It‘s my duty to help those in need, too! I called HQ over and over again to see if the wallet got turned in... Funnily enough, we found it under his bed at the inn he was staying at. l was relieved it wasn't stolen, at least.
So, it was all a false alarm...
Anyway... What did you need from me? Did something happen to him?
A-Actually, we found out his name is Anton, and… he's still here in Crossbell City, even though the festival is well over. He‘s been trying to track you down for weeks, and he doesn't want to leave until he's had the chance to thank you. That‘s why his friend submitted a request to the SSS to help him out.
Wow, really? He's going to make me blush...
What do you say, Fran? Can you do it? No one's forcing you to meet him, so you have every right to refuse if you don't want to.
No, that‘s okay. I don't mind meeting him. He‘s been trying his hardest to find me, right?
Seriously?
You really don't have to help us just because it‘s a Support Request.
Oh, no, that‘s not why I‘m doing it, I kinda wanna meet him, too. Doesn't this feel so exciting? Oh, but I might not be able to make time for him, considering I'm working...
If that's the case, then it‘s out of our hands.
Excuse me, everyone.
What's up, Rebecca?
I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation like this, but… it's almost time for Fran‘s lunch break, so why don't you ask him to meet you during it?
Really? Do you mind?
It‘s a little unorthodox, since you're technically on duty, but you should have enough time to meet. As long as non do it during your break, I'll be able to hold down the fort.
(Rebecca... You aren't doing this for your own amusement, are you?)
Well, since you're going out of your way to help me out, I'll accept your offer! Well, then, about this little rendezvous… Would Vingt-Sept in Central Square be all right? I can head there in a little bit.
W-Well, as long as you're okay with it… We should go and tell Anton the plan.
Make sure he knows I'm looking forward to it, too!

“Seriously? That guy? The one that looks like he’d choke to death on water? Really? gently caress…”

What's up, Noel? You look kinda conflicted.
It's nothing, Randy. I'm fine. Anyway, Lloyd. Let's go report the news to Anton.
Sounds good.

I decided to plug this scenario into AI Dungeon just to see what happened. So without further ado…

You are Noel Seeker, a combat ready officer in charge of Crossbell State's security against foreign threats. You are currently present in Crossbell's Police Department, and you're here to report that a man named Anton may be infatuated with her. You find out that she may interested in Anton as well and react by.

You reluctantly allow her to see Anton.

You visit the bar with her. It seems most of the people there are enjoying themselves, but you notice most are older, most are men with their shirts open, most are drinking liquor.

Anton is sitting at a table with his shirt open, as well. Still, you notice he is drinking a glass of orange juice. You sit next to him and Fran begins to speak with him. He listens intently to everything she has to say, he even looks a little happier.

You say "All right. Are you done thanking her? She's on her break, so..."

You grab your gun from your side and point it at him. "WAIT!" he yells, falling silent.
"Yeah, I just want to confirm something. Are you attracted to my sister?"
"Y-Yeah... She's an angel from heaven, a sign that my love will come to fruition!!" he says while bowing down. You can see your sister rolling her eyes.
"Bull. C'mon, I know the real reason why you're stalking her."
"I'm not stalking her!"
Anton hides something behind his back. He looks panicked.
"I swear, it's mine!" he says while holding onto a can of orange juice.
"Give it to me, then," you say.
"Please, I can't!" he starts to cry.
Upon further observation, it was the can of orange juice Fran was drinking from.
You say "You. Utter. Creep."
"Stop, I can explain! Pretty One, come back! Everything's alright now!"
"I said it's not alright. You're gonna die."

Oh, you guys are back already. H-How'd it go? Did you get Fran to agree to meet with me?
Surprisingly enough, yes. She seemed receptive to the whole idea She'll be on break soon, so she'd like to meet you at the restaurant in Central Square.
O-Oh… Th-Thank you so much. I don't know how I'll ever repay you for this. Man, oh, man. I didn‘t think a bum like myself would ever get a lucky break.
He seems a little overly thrilled.
I'm glad it's working out for you, Anton.
Oh, right! I need to find her an appropriate gift to thank her for her help. I don't actually have anything prepared for her.
Dude... Seriously? Shoulda had that planned well in advance. The date’s already knockin‘ on your drat door!
H-Hey, can you blame me?! I didn't think I'd be meeting her this quickly. Oh, I know just the thing! P-Pardon me, dear sister Would you be willing to accompany me to Times?
Times...? Why do you want to go there?
It's the perfect place to find a present for Fran! You're sisters, so I figure you have all kinds of insider knowledge on her tastes and hobbies. I could find her the perfect gift!
R-Right… On that note, I'd really rather you didn't call me 'dear sister.‘
Oh, by the way, the rest of you will also help me pick out a present, right?
Uh… (Don't look at me with those puppy-dog eyes!)
This is becoming more bothersome by the second.
(Well, we‘ve come this far, so we may as well see it through to the end.)
All right. Shall we go to Times, then?
Sir, yes, sir! Thanks a bunch, you guys!
Well, we should probably hurry and pick out Fran's present.

We're almost out of time. Lloyd! Fran's gonna show up at the restaurant any minute now, y'know?
Randy's right, Lloyd. Since he invited her, making her wait wouldn't be very polite.
Wh-What do we do, then?
I propose we divide into two teams. Elie, Randy, and I will go to the restaurant in advance. Once there, we will explain to Fran that this so-called 'rendezvous' is slightly delayed.
And in the meantime, Noel and I can help Anton pick out a present. I think that'd be the most efficient course of action at this point.
I can't thank you enough, everyone. For everything. I'm truly blessed to have met such kind and charitable people...
Please don‘t start crying, I beg you.
A-Anyway, let's go with Tio's plan. I'm counting on you guys.
Leave it to us.
Try to be brief.
Better arrive with a present that‘ll knock her dead! Y'know, with happiness.

We're running on borrowed time, so let's get to the department store. Anton, keep your eyes peeled. Sergeant Major, speak up if you see something Fran might like.
*sigh* I don‘t suppose I have any other choice.
I'm in your debt, dear sister!

Welp, this is happening now. Anton is ABSOLUTELY going to nail this one, according to his saves in Tokimeki Memorial. 2D girls are just like their 3D counterparts. Right? R-Right?!

Anyway, this section is up for bonus DP, essentially. We gain 3 additional DP by nailing Anton’s present to Fran. Ice jam… ain’t it.

For the bonus DP, we have to hop to the second floor and get the knitted Pom beanie from Boutique Lucca. Well, Fran DOES have that one cute plushie on her bed (which, in turn, is a reference to the Gagharv Trilogy)...

All I can do now is hope that Fran loves it
Well, you won't know until you actually give it to her.
Oh, shoot. It's almost time for us to meet everyone over at Vingt—Sept. We don't want to keep Fran waiting,
I-It's finally time... I think I'm ready.
(Oh, boy. Here we go.)

Who can say? I just know it's quite rude to keep a lady waiting.
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Dudes put just as much (are into getting dressed as ladies put into getting dolled up.
Wow, Randy! You must be pretty experienced if you know that off the top of your head.
You can tell? I do what I can not to brag. How 'bout goin' on a date with me next time, Fran? I‘d make sure to show you the coolest places around town. You deserve it, after all.
Aw. You flatter me, Randy.
(Randy, are you seriously hitting on her? At a time like this?)

Randy: 17. Shame: Non-existent.

U-Uhh... Good afternoon. Long time no see... N—No, I mean… sorry to make you wait so long.
Why hello, Anton.
Y-Y-You...know my name?!
Oh, right. Lloyd and the others told me your name earlier.
Ahaha...hahaha... Gotcha. (Got a bit too excited over that one...)
(Aren‘t you guys a little late?)
(Sorry about that. Choosing a present took longer than we anticipated...)
(Well, at least you were able to find something? Is it nice?)
(Umm, well, it should be fine. I don't think it's too bad, if that means anything.)
All right, you two. Save the chitchat for the meal. Fran doesn't have too long a break, right? Better not waste any time.
Good point Well, Anton, shall we find a table?
Y-Yeah! Definitely!

It‘ll be kinda hard for us to keep watch on 'em from here, y'know?
You want to eavesdrop on them?
Cmon, you can't tell me that you aren't worried about how this‘ll go down.
Watching over our clients until the request is complete is part of the job.
That‘s right. It's our duty to see this through.
Sorry, but I am a little nervous about this whole thing.
You, too?
Well, I guess you have a point. Besides, Anton looks like he's sweating bullets… Maybe keeping an eye on them is for the best. We can keep him in check.
Sweet! Since it's decided, let's head upstairs! ☆
(Someone's not taking this very seriously...)

Probability of Precipitation 10%

Well, of course. It happened on the last day of the Anniversary Festival. How could I forget? That sure was a rough day... You haven't dropped your wallet again, have you?
'C-Course not! After all the effort you spent to find it. I'm never letting it out of my sight again!
Ahaha! You're a riot, Anton.
(Y-Yes...! I don't understand what part of that was funny, but I think things are going okay?)
That reminds me, Anton. After I found your wallet, you kept on spacing out a lot. You know. I was worried that you came down with a fever or something.
I was probably just captivated by your good looks...
Hmmm? Did you say something?
N-Nope! Hahaha...

You ain't gonna be able to pick up chicks if you can't say that stuff without mumblin’
But, you know, they seem to be getting along pretty well. Fran is chatting away, like usual. Anton on the other hand...still looks pretty tense.
Fran's about as sociable as you can get. Definitely way more than me, at least.
She would act like this even if she only just met the person.
Noel, are you all right? You appear to be bothered by something.
Well, I wouldn‘t go that far...

It's just... Sure, she's always well-liked by everyone, but I've never seen her actually flirt with anyone before. And yet, she's acting unusually friendly with Anton...
You're just worried about your sister, aren't you?
I-I mean...
I guess that's it. She‘s my little sister, you know? Of course I'm worried.
(I guess she's the type of older sister to worry easily. I sure hope I don‘t give Cecile cause for concern like this.)
Whoa! Guys, look! That right there is the face of a man who knows what he wants. I think he’s finally pullin’ the trigger!

Yes? Is something wrong?
Well, just want to explain why I was searching for you. I wanted to show my gratitude to you for not giving up on finding my wallet during the Anniversary Festival. So, will you accept this?

Anton gave Fran a knitted Pom beanie.

Wow, wow, wow! A white Pom hat! My sister, Noel, actually likes to wear a white hat like this when not in uniform. This is perfect. I've wanted a white hat to match hers for a while now! Thank you SO much, Anton! I swear I'll treasure it forever and always!
(Y-Yes! She loves it! Here we go! It's now or never, Anton! F-Fran! D-Do you have someone you like?!
Huh? Um... No, not really.

…!
Wh-What’s the matter, Anton?
(Uh-oh. Was he already shot down?)
(I think the fact that Fran didn't mean anything by the comment made it cut even deeper...)
(Sadly, I don't think there's anything we can really do in a case like this.)
(Shall we pray for him?)
(...)

Feelings Crushed…

Tokimeki Memorial has failed you.

Sorry, I gotta go. Fran. I really hope you and that person...work out,
What?

Thanks for everything. Because of you, l was able to see Fran's beautiful smile.
A-Anton, I don't know what to say...
Don't bother. I don‘t need to be comforted or babied. This happens to me all the time. My life is, and always will be, a clumsy series of trial and error. Maybe someday things will work out for a guy like me.
I don't quite follow.
Haha... Didn't you notice? That tranquil, happy face when Fran said she has someone she loves...? After I saw that, I knew I was going nowhere fast. I just had to give up. And that’s it, friends.

It may take some time, but I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Afternoon in Crossbell

F-Fran!

Noel rushes over to grab Fran by the shoulders.

Noey? What's up? You look like you saw a ghost or something...
Fran, give it to me straight… Who's this person you supposedly love?! Is it Lloyd?! Or, don't tell me... Randy?!
Wh-Whoa, hold on!
(I was wondering why the sergeant major was being so quiet... This answers that question, then.)
Oh, boy. Now that the cat‘s outta the bag, it looks li——
Hey, Randy? I'm going to stop you right there. Don't make things even more complicated.
(Th—That smile could stop a Rhinocider...)
You tell me everything, don't you? Why would you hide something as big as this from me? He isn't some troublemaker that you can't tell anyone about, is he?
C-Calm down a little, Noey. Everyone is looking at us funny...
There's no time! Tell me! Pretend the rest of them are sacks of potatoes or something!
Oh, geez. Noey… If you want to know that bad, I'll give you a hint. That special someone works in the Crossbell Guardian Force and has a very strong sense of justice. And they've always been as kind as can be to me.
He‘s in the CGF? He isn‘t stationed at Tangram Gate, is he?!
They are! ♥
I never knew someone in my unit was that close to you! Is it Jack? Burrell?! No, wait... Is it Mr. Temas from the mess hall?!
This is getting a little out of hand...
*sigh* I'm disappointed, Noel. I thought you would‘ve figured it out by now.
You didn't give me much to go on.
Are you really going to make me say it? Isn't it obvious that I was talking about you? ♥

Haha. So that‘s how it was, eh? Doubt Fran will know about romance for a while, with a head like that on her shoulders. At least the sergeant major here can rest easy for now.

Sorry about that. it's just, I suddenly felt a wave of exhaustion hit me...
Aw. You really were worried about her.
Yeah, I...might have gone a little overboard there. Sorry, guys. I never meant to let you see that side of me. Thank you for helping me
with this mess...
Still, I can't help but feel bad for Anton. Do you think he'll ever love again?
Aren't you feeling sorry for yourself, too, Lloyd? I saw your eyes light up when Fran said there was someone she loved.
That definitely didn‘t happen! And I‘d really appreciate it if you didn't make misleading comments like that...
Anyway, we can always go check on Anton when we're free later. For now, I‘d say our job here is done.
Yeah, I guess so. Ready to go, guys?

In addition to the usual rewards, we got promoted to 4th Class Detective and received an Aquarius Gem (Effectiveness of HP recovery arts is multiplied by 1.5). Not bad.

Next time, we take on the hidden request for the day!

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 20, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of the few things I dislike about this duology is that there's a few fights that are designed to either include or exclude a certain character you can rotate out and there's no indication of it beforehand. Those plant thingies in the mine are one of those offenders

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I wonder if Irina Reinford read that "Effective Use of Five Minutes" book while trying to figure out a way to cut down on all that useless, unproductive time spent with her daughter.

- Anton is such a sad sack that I don't want him to succeed. He's doomed to fail because he thinks that if he just finds "the right woman", she'll magically fix every other problem in his life.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bold of you to assume Irina spent 5 minutes with her daughter

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Of course she does. Any ordinary parent can simply be busy and forget. It takes a truly ...unique... parent to go well out of their way to emphasize that she has total control of her schedule and is deliberately choosing to snub her daughter.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 84: “You want our help to figure out what present to get, right?”

St. Ursula Medical College

To start today’s hidden request, we need to head all the way back to St. Ursula Medical College and talk to Cecile.

Everyone, if you're free, would you mind giving us a hand with something?
H-Huh?! Cecile, you don't mean...
What's up?
P-Please, don't worry about it, Cecile!
It's just a silly idea!
Oh, you're the one being silly. There's no need to be so shy. You see, it's almost Shizuku's father's birthday. So, of course, she wants to give him a special present...
It‘s almost Arios' birthday?
So he is human, eh?
Obviously, Randy.
I think I get it. You want our help to figure out what present to get, right?
N-No, not quite. You see, I was thinking of making Father something handmade this year, so… I was wanting to search for some things I could use for it...
Oh, gotcha! So you want to collect a bunch of trinkets around here to craft a special charm for your dad?
That‘s been a Crossbellan tradition for a long time.
Whoa, really? Never knew about that one,
I remember making cute things like that for Grandfather when l was little.
So, we‘re to search the medical college for suitable materials for her gift? Does that summarize the request?
I-If you could, yes...
If it's the Special Support Section, l have no doubt that you'll find some materials. When you do, would you mind bringing them up to us?
Sure thing.
It‘s not like we could refuse a request from the adorable Shizuku, eh?
I never meant to impose, but thank you...
The next question would be: What do you want to make? If we know that, we should be able to put together a list of what to look for. Any ideas?
W-Well, let's see...
The truth is, I found this really pretty stone when I was out walking with Cecile. It‘s all smooth and feels nice to touch… Anyway, after talking to Cecile, we decided that it should be the present. I just really love how beautiful it is, so… could you find something to put it in?
I'm on board with the idea. I think it's cute. It‘s quite the mysterious little rock, though. When I held it, I swear it was as if a warmth coursed through my entire body.
Whew, That‘s pretty neat.
Now, if we're using this stone, we should consider what kind of present would be most suitable for Arios. And since it's a present, of course, we'll need something to substitute as a gift box. So let‘s put a box and ribbon down on our list as well.
Good call, Elie.
Again, I'm sorry that you have to go through all this trouble for me.

Arios was born in S. 1174, according to the wiki and Zero takes place sometime around S. 1203 and S. 1204. So that approximately makes him… around 29-30? You wouldn’t think he’s in ancient JRPG years by the way the dude walks and talks.

In any case, we now have to wander around the hospital, picking up items for Shizuku to cobble together her present from. Namely, we need to pick up key items from:
  • Room 301
  • The break room on the 2nd floor
  • 1st floor, east wing room
  • Gary on the bench outside
I’ll gloss over the ones that don’t have anything interesting to say to us.

Room 301:

TL;DR: Michael got a present from her parents in Leman, and he has a crush on Shizuku. Randy gives him a thumbs up for wooing her. Maybe let’s not give the 9-year-old your idea of dating advice, Randy…

Break room on the 2nd floor:

1st Floor:

Staying up all night in the research lab might not have been the best decision. My goal was to make something portable and more convenient, but it didn't pan out...
(It sounds like she specializes in medical equipment. Who knows? She might have something that would be a good addition to Shizuku‘s present.)
Excuse me, ma‘am. Do you have a minute?
Yes? What is it?

Lloyd explained that they were collecting materials for a present Shizuku wanted to make

So, we were wondering if you have anything you're willing to give away. If you don't, I completely understand.
Oh, is that all? I shouldn‘t be surprised that Shizuku loves cute things, too. Girls will be girls, right? Now, let me see... This might do the trick.

Is this a pendant?
That it is. The kind you can place a gem inside of, too. My research last night into portable, pendant—like medical tools was a spectacular failure, and this is the byproduct of that.
Portable...medical equipment? Is that the standard in hospitals nowadays?
Oh, no. It was just tests. No one can find practical significance in using them yet, you see. The idea is that you use quartz within the pendant to generate healing properties, which in turn promotes self-recovery. It's fascinating stuff, in theory.
Hot drat. St, Ursula‘s research is no joke.
I'm sure the CGF would find something like that very handy, especially in combat scenarios.
But you said it was a failure, correct? What exactly went wrong?
Yes, well, I was researching it well into the night, but.. .I must have made a mistake somewhere, because when l activated the prototype, it created a massive explosion.
I-Isn't that a little dangerous? You are in a hospital, you know...
Funny thing is, that pendant was at the center of it, and it still made it in one piece. That‘s a miracle, if you ask me. Something as lucky as that is perfect for a present, don't you think?
(That's a pretty unscientific response from someone in the medical field, isn't it?)
Well, thank you very much. We would be more than happy to take it off your hands.
Please, I'm just happy to help.
(If we were to put Shizuku's stone in this, it would probably look great. All that's left is to find something that can substitute as a chain for the pendant.)

Gary:

Gary, unlike the others (well, after going into a spiel and complaining that his son, Kientz is in a gang), doesn’t actually give us anything. Instead, he points us in the direction of the dorm building’s rooftop for the last material we need.

...Someone should probably have a word with this nurse for misappropriation of funds.

Ignoring that, we have all the materials we need! Time to get these materials back to Shizuku for processing.

Does that mean...?
That‘s right. I think we've found enough stuff to put together a good present.

Yep. We also found a box and ribbon. Along with these other things, that should be everything you need.

What do you think, Shizuku? Can you make Arios a present with this stuff?
Y-Yes, I can! This should be more than enough. The pendant top is really sturdy, so I doubt it will break… Also, I don‘t think that this string‘s material will bother Father while he wears it at work. Everyone, thank you so very much.
Your smile made the whole thing worth it, Shizuku.
What kinda men would we be if we turned down a request from a cutie like you? It was high stakes for me and Lloud, believe me.
It's going to be perfect
It certainly should be, yes.
Oh, Shizuku. Since we're all here, should we go ahead and put everything together?
Y-Yes, of course. Everyone, would you like to stag for a bit longer and see the final product?
Definitely. After all, we might still be able to help you with something.
l may not be the best with arts and crafts, but I'd love to help.

What do you think, everyone? Do you think it turned out okay?
It looks extremely well—made, Shizuku. Great Job.
I'm sure your father will be delighted.
Phew... Thank goodness.
I was kinda skeptical at first, but this stone really is something else. Downright beautiful, to boot. Like, a little polish and it made a hell of a pendant. I doubt even jewelers can measure up to this.
It‘s uncanny, really. It's as if the stone was meant to sit inside that pendant. The string, too. It doesn't look a step out of place.
It‘s uncomplicated, but I think that, in and of itself, adds to its elegance
I agree with Randy, It doesn't look like any less than what you would find in a jewelry shop.
I feel the same way.
Cecile, everyone...thank you. I would have never been able to make this amazing gift without you. Um, this is a token of my gratitude. Please. take it.

It‘s beautiful... Wait, is this the same kind of stone you put in the pendant?
Yes. When I found the stone with Cecile, I actually found two of them. For this one, though, I simply put it inside my broken brooch,
Are you sure you want us to have it?
Yes, of course I am. Alone, I don't think I ever would have been able to make my father the gift I wanted to… That‘s why I told myself that I would give this to whoever helped me.
At first, I thought Cecile would be the one to get it, but after talking things over with her...
...we turned to all of you. After collecting such amazing pieces, you have every right to have it.
Haha! With all this flattery. it'd be rude to not accept the thing, eh?
I think we should accept it with gratitude, Lloyd.
You make a good case. Thank you, Shizuku. I promise that we'll take good (are of it.
Yes, please do. Thank you again, and have a great rest of your day, everyone.

And that’s all of today’s requests completed! Our reward is 3 DP, 2000 mira, and Shizuku’s brooch (MOV+2/SPD+5/Drop Rate+20%). But our REAL reward is the fuzzy feeling inside your chest after helping a child make a homemade present for her pops.

Since all that is out of the way with, I think it’s time to move on with the plot. Next time, we explore the Moon Temple and torment Elie and her “Why Did it Have to Be Snakes” TV Tropes entry.

Note: We will, at the very least, start the “Creative Cooks Wanted!” quest next update. But given that we need all but one of the recipes in the entire game, we won’t be able to finish it for a while. At least, if we want full DP for the mission.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 20, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I missed the implication the first time I played this, but is that a Happiness Stone that she found?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think you accidentally attributed one of Ursuline's lines to Lloyd, the "That it is. The kind you can place a gem inside of, too. My research last night into portable, pendant—like medical tools was a spectacular failure, and this is the byproduct of that." one.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cyouni posted:

I missed the implication the first time I played this, but is that a Happiness Stone that she found?

I think so, especially how easily it fitted into the empty pendant

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Junpei posted:

I think you accidentally attributed one of Ursuline's lines to Lloyd, the "That it is. The kind you can place a gem inside of, too. My research last night into portable, pendant—like medical tools was a spectacular failure, and this is the byproduct of that." one.

I fixed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 85: “GH-GH-GHOSTS?!”

Before we start our next leg of the journey, we should, at the very least, trigger the next sidequest on our lengthy list of quests. This one brings us back to Vingt-Sept in Central Square for a rendezvous with the chef, Septeo.

Afternoon in Crossbell

The manager and Braun won't help me... What in the world do I do?
Excuse me. We received a request from an employee here named Selteo. Do you know him, by any chance?

We'd love to help you, if you'll have us.
Yep! The customer is always right!
We're always here to help. (I get the feeling I'm becoming some sort of errand boy.)
So, your request. It involves searching for something, right?
Yes, that's right! Save me, man! You see, I was told by the manager to try and come up with a new dish for the restaurant. But yeah... It's not going well. I've reached my creative limit.
It's useless. It's all useless.
Well, that kind of thing happens to everyone,
Even if you're a pro chef, it's not that easy to always be comin' up with new stuff, I guess.
Basically. Having to cook for celebrities from time to time doesn‘t make it any easier. So, that's why I need you to help me. I heard that your division mingles with the public a lot, so I thought that you might have been to your fair share of restaurants. I'm looking for dishes that are truly unique. Entrees that you sometimes make when thinking outside the box!
As in, peculiar dishes? Kinda like when you set out to cook an omurice but wind up with something completely different. Is that what you mean?
Exactly! That's the very essence of cuisine!

For context, they’re talking about setting the egg in an omurice. You need to cook the egg enough so that it’s firm, but not so firm that it’s cooked all the way through. What usually happens with an omurice is that the chef forms the rice into a crescent shape with a mold before placing the egg on top. From there, you have to partially slice into the egg in the middle. If all goes well, both sides of the egg should flop to the side, covering the sides of the rice. And from there, you can slather on your demiglace sauce, etc.

Cooking the egg just right requires a lot of technique and practice, and gently caress if I ever managed to do it.

I don't think anything we make is fit for a professional chef, personally… Anyway, I think we understand your issue now. We just need to bring you peculiar dishes we've made, right?
Yep, that'd be great. I want to compare all of them, so I‘ll need at least ten. But I mean, the more, the merrier. Cook as many as you can! That about wraps it up, I think. My taste buds and I will be waiting!

If you’re asking the SSS to cook up some omurice, I think we’re hosed.

Joke aside, as I mentioned last update, we need to get all but ONE of the recipes of the game to get full DP for this request. There are three recipes we need left for this request, so we won’t be wrapping this up until the final chapter.

Time to finally progress with the plot. We need to head over to the tunnel right before Mainz in order to the Moon Temple. The last time we were there, we just snapped a photo and left, since the whole place was blocked off. Luckily, Noel can get us there, lickety-split.

Way of the Tree Spirit (Evolution)

I'm pretty sure this road leads down to the ruins.
You are correct. We'll have to continue on foot from here.
Let‘s get a move on if we‘re ready.
Indeed.
(*sigh* Do we really have to explore ghost-infested ruins? C-Calm down, Elie. Ghosts aren't real... Ghosts aren‘t real!)

A Bell That Cannot Ring

The Moon Temple is pretty much a straight shot from the bottom of the Mainz Mountain Path Tunnel, so let’s just jump ahead…

Huh. Is it just me, or is the visibilitya lot worse than before…?
It‘s not just you. It wasn't foggy before.
Heh. Guessin' this is where our friendly ghosts come out to piag.
I wouldn't quite call them ghosts. They're more akin to mysterious monsters. Do you sense something, Tio?
...I detect a strange fluctuation in the atmosphere. Is it simply oscillations in the air? Or is it an incorporeal presence?
Oscillations? Incorporeal...?
Yes, but I did not sense it the first time we came here. I believe it is coming from the roof where the bell is.

Stargazer‘s Tower also had a hell on its roof, much like these ruins.
Yeah, looks that way. It reminds me of the bell in Crossbell's Central Square, actually...
You think there's some kinda connection between all these bells?

I'd like to investigate the fluctuations Tio detected, if possible.
No objections here. Now that we've got a plan, let's head inside.
*sigh* If we have to...
Haha. Can't say I've ever had to bust some ghosts before.
H-Hey! They're 'mysterious monsters,’ not ghosts! Isn't that right, Sergeant Major?!
Y-Yeah, they're only monsters…
(You don't have to force yourself if you're that scared, Elie...)

In we go. No guesses as to whether or not we’ll fulfill the trope quota of GH-GH-GHOSTS?! today...

The Moon Temple is nice enough to give us a free orbment charging station right before we dive into things here. We’ll have plenty of opportunities to circle back around and recover health over the course of this dungeon.

l-It seems to be a chapel...
According to records, this place was some kind of temple way back in the Middle Ages. The Moon Temple Apparently, it was built around the same period as Stargazer's Tower and that old fortress on the Ancient Battlefield.
So, basically, this ruin is roughly 500 years old. Constructed during a time of chaos and war...

The sound of a bell tolls from atop the rooftop.

D-Do you hear that...?
A bell...?!

…! Look out! They're coming!
What ARE those?!

Goddammit…

The reports were true!
Can't chicken out now, Elle! Here they come!

So now we’re fighting a bunch of Halloween props some guy back in the Middle Ages made with LED lights. And grew madder and madder with power until it could not be contained by dust alone.

These guys are normal enemies in the Moon Temple, but we’re stuck fighting them anyway, so I might as well give them a quick overview. Their normal attack consists of a debuff to the target’s defense.

And when you kill them, they use Self-Destruct. Not too threatening on Normal. I just had Tio cast Dark Matter on them, since I decided to shuffle Ingenuity into her Orbment configuration. Shouldn’t take too long to gain that EP back.

Elie, are you okay?
Y-Yes. I think so. J—J—Just what were those things?!
Definitely looked like ghosts to me, that's for sure… And that light they gave off when they vanished was drat weird.
The three higher elements are exerting a powerful force in this area. They must be the reason why this place has become filled with spiritual energy.
Spiritual energy...?
Now that you mention it… We all heard the temple bell ring just now, right? Is it possible that it was rung by the gho——
Noel, please stop! I-lt was probably just the wind! Yes, that MUST have been it!
Still stuck in the denial stage, Elle?
I understand how you feel, Elie. I do. But considering how that last fight went, I say we continue our investigation. Sergeant Major, are you ready to go?
Yes, of course!
Lloyd… *sigh* I guess I have no choice now.
At least our attacks are effective against them.

I was almost about to type out that you could make a Fatal Frame / Project Zero if you gave Elie a Camera Obscura and made her the protagonist, but ehhhh...?

The main section consists of two levels: the base floor below and the first floor up top. The first floor is blocked off on both sides, requiring us to flip levers to extend a platform that we can climb to and fro.

The way we access those levers is by going through these doors and looping around until we find a way to the first floor.

Flipping the levers will also trigger mechanisms in the center part of the room, allowing us to reach our goal on the rooftop: the bell. So we want to do that regardless.

The moon temple is a little bit more labyrinthine compared to previous dungeons we’ve taken on so far. For now, let’s start by going through the right door and I’ll point out where paths start to deviate, and which roads lead to what treasures.

But first, enemies!

Get Over the Barrier! (Falcom Acoustics 2)

Outside of our additional Battle order bonuses (Deathblow/Guard/Vanish), the enemies lurking in this dungeon have one clear cut gimmick - status effects. All enemies have at least one status effect attached to their attacks that they’ll try to mess up your party with.

First up, we have Wind Fae, who attack by making our party go to sleep, one at a time.

They’re also one of the only enemies who can do anything outside of your typical attack in the sense that they can cast Aerial. But a Stun Break or a Wild Swan can take care of that quickly.

We also have gross-rear end hell demons that puke out vomit on unsuspecting adventurers, inflicting Poison on them. They also have what looks to be arrows sticking out of their backs. Moral of the story: go to a doctor when you’re dead.

Creeping around the corner is also Tom & Jerry’s final form. These guys bop you on the head to lower your movement. Which I don’t think is particularly a problem when they have to get in melee range to attack anyway, and arts have a large range.

By far, the most troubling enemy of the bunch is this guy… the rogue wizard. As is wont of magical practitioners, they are a natural force of destruction and chaos, causing trouble and turning people into newts wherever they go. Or burning down buildings. I’m not picky about what they do. Whatever it is, run, hide, and place your dogs, cats, and children into a washing machine for their own safety.

Vargem have two ways of fighting the party: singing gloomy songs and their regular attack.

Their regular attacks are the lesser danger of the two, since it only pushes back said victim’s turn order.

Their regular attacks have two different variants, used after they start singing their song: Fig Attack and Pomegranate Attack. Fig Song inflicts AT Delay and bumps the target's turn back. Pomegranate Song, on the other hand, has a chance of killing someone outright. And if we take them out...

(Thanks to Cyouni for pointing out my mistake here.)

The Vargem will self-destruct by using Davallia Song, which hurts everyone within a certain radius and has a decent chance of instantly bodying someone. Retreating everyone before going in for a kill via ranged attack or spell is preferred, generally. Unless if you’re playing on Normal, in which case… welp, okay. At this point, you’ll probably have enough resources to pick up anyone dead, and it’s not like you’ll be too a hurtin’ from the enemies.

A Bell That Cannot Ring

In any case, that’s our grand showcase on the Moon Temple’s foes, for now. We still actually have two more enemies I have to go over this update, but we’ll save that when we go further into the depths.

From the door that we entered from the ground floor, it’s pretty much a straight shot down a flight of stairs to the Moon Temple - Quarters. And I mean “quarters” quite literally, because… well…

Everyone’s asleep. Permanently.

Once outside of the quarters, we have two ways to go here. Down leads to treasure and progress. Up, on the other hand, leads back to the surface of the Moon Temple.

More specifically, heading up and unbarring the door leads us back to the temple’s front door, in case we want to heal up or head back to Crossbell City for supplies. Which is nice, of course.

Back to exploration, though. Heading down one more level down and going outside rewards us with an Action 3 quartz. I ended up slapping that on Elie, since she was the only one in the party so far who didn’t upgrade from her tier two quartz yet.

On the other side of the terrace, we have the way forward. From here, we just need to go through the door…

...Before heading to the top in order to grab a Black Suit (DEF +90) before doubling back down a level and reaching the halfway point of the dungeon.

It’s worth pointing out that the monster chest contains a whole bunch of those wizards from earlier. Caution is advised.

Which is an indoor garden with broken pillars and poo poo blocking off our path! There isn’t much worth of note in terms of treasure outside of a Hit 3 in this area. But as it turns out, the last two enemy types in this dungeon are here as well. So lemme go through them quick:

First off, we have ghost fish. Yes, spectral, floating fish… as if regular floating carnivorous fish weren’t bad enough. As long as it isn’t something from Gyo, right?

These guys are the equivalent of the vomitmen from earlier in this dungeon, except with projectile attacks that cause Seal instead of Poison. gently caress fish. At least they can go to greater greater seafood hell or whatever when the SSS performs an exorcism by way of gun.

And then we have these guys - Nightmare. Given the whole water theme the interior garden has and the fact that they’re some weird horse-mermaid hybrid, I’m fairly certain this is a nod to kelpies from Celtic folklore. In myth, kelpies inhabited lakes and were known to eviscerate people and other such symbolic rationalizations you can find on their Wikipedia page.

Anyway, Nightmare here freezes its target, and that’s really all it has going for it.

Once we make it out of the garden, we can press our first button in order to extend a platform leading down to the ground floor, as well as lowering the central platform above the holy statue.

Since the second half of the dungeon has even more enemies and exploration, I’ll split this update in two and upload the other half tomorrow. Between this and the next update, I’ve probably hit the forum cap limit anyhow.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 10, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Am I the only one who thinks the character sprites would be right at home in Ogre Battle 64?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Part 86: “Hey, I don't remember signin' up to be a CPD exorcist!”

A Bell That Cannot Ring (Evolution)

All right, time for the other half of the dungeon. This time, we’re taking the left door down to the fast lane this time.

It’s also probably the more straightforward of the two paths we have to take. And I mean that both in terms of detours and enemies, since there… aren’t quite as much variety in either. Barring a very, very small maze containing loot, you could probably clear this side in half the time you cleared the right side, enemies and all.

Speaking of which:

Get Over the Barrier! (Evolution)

We have a variety of new foes to check out on this side. And by a new variety, I really only mean three. Four, if you count the self-destructing ghosts from the last update. But we’ve already seen all they had to offer.

First off, we have your typical run-of-the-mill skeleton. The game calls them “Bone Warriors”. The skellys default mode of attacking is slapping someone around with its cool, evil sword for minimal damage. They’re also extremely weak to Mirage arts. Moving on…

We also have Dullahans (aka Gan Ceann) roaming around the other half of the temple. True to their namesake, they’re headless dudes, minus the horse. And the Irish. Or maybe they’re Irish and they’re just really confused as to why they’re in Crossbell right now. Everything’s up to your headcanon except everything that isn’t. Heh.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Aside from their regular attack, Dullahans can also use “Evil Eye”, an AoE attack that causes AT Delay.

And finally, we have these spirits, which remind me of Pupu from Final Fantasy VIII. These jerks are probably the most dangerous enemies in the dungeon, having the ability to inflict Petrify on any unsuspecting victims wandering too closely. Since Evil Eye counts as a physical attack, and using physical attacks on petrified targets has a chance of killing them instantly, well…

...You’re gonna have a bad time.

Back to exploration, though. There really isn’t much to say here. It’s pretty much a straight shot until you hit the maze, in which case it’s just a multitude of short, branching paths leading to treasure. Mostly consumables and the like. However, there is one monster chest we can grab in here.

Clearing it rewards us with Iron Shoes (DEF +40/MOV +1). Tio doesn’t need to move much in battle and she needs the defense more, so that’s going right on her.

But in any case, all that’s left is to backtrack the way we came and move in the other direction. We just need to slam the big red button down now, and…

The platforms on both sides lower, unlocking access to the stone slab door in the back. :toot:

All that’s left is to pass through the now unlocked door to reach the bell!

There’s a rest spot in the next room if you were entirely too lazy to actually double-back to the entrance. There’s pretty much no reason not to be at your best for the inevitable upcoming boss fight.

Yeeeeah. It's rubbin' me the wrong way. Why the hell is there a place like this behind a chapel?
It‘s not normal, that's for sure. These ruins are way too bizarre to have belonged to the Septian Church...
I'm curious about the meaning of that floor pattern there… It resembles an eye, doesn't it?
What's wrong, Tio?
Did you notice something?
There's a good chance that this place served as a sort of ritual chamber. A horrid place, used to offer live sacrifices...
S-Sacrifices?!
Yes... I imagine those dark, red stains on the floor are from the victims‘ spilled blood. Of course, I wouldn't know for sure without a proper composition test.
Well, this conversation sure got dark.
But why would a place like this be behind the ruins of an old church...?

The bell tolls once more…

Demonic Drive
Demonic Drive (Evolution)

(Posting both, since the Evolution version is kinda lovely, if we’re being real here. It has none of the energy of the original.)

A devil?!
Please, be careful! I'm detecting massive amounts of spiritual energy from it!
Hey, I don't remember signin' up to be a CPD exorcist!
Here it comes!

It’s time to face off against the head honcho of the Moon Temple: the Arch Devil. Analyzing it with Tio or a Battle Scope gives us a fairly succinct description of this dude.

Dream devil that slowly corrupts people. A single swing of its claws terrifies foes.

As you can see, the Arch Devil brought along two pals to back him up to gently caress up the police. The… Sudorudo (すドルド)? I have that right? The Bowser statues from Super Mario Bros. 3. The Sudorudo have one default mode of attack they will always commit to. They’ll begin by charging a straight-line AoE attack on their first turn…

Before unleashing a large Breath of Fire from who-knows-where, hurting whoever they’re targeting and inflicting Burn.

The Arch Devil’s main M.O. is Demonic Claw - a sweeping strike that knocks back its target. It also has a chance of hitting someone with Poison, so there’s that too.

Outside of that, the Arch Devil will also cast Diamond Dust if you decide to group everyone a little too closely. Given you can cancel this easily with Stun Break or Wild Swan, this is easily the less dangerous of the two attacks, at least on Normal difficulty.

Since they’re fairly squishy, it’s easy enough to take down both Sudorudos. Doing so will make the Arch Devil call in more as reinforcements. So it’s suggested that you break out the AoE crafts and spells to get a handle on both.

But other than that, there’s no real good strategy here outside of targeting the Arch Devil’s weakness (Space arts) and just keeping everyone’s health up via Holy Bullet. Namaste. And Sayonara, dear devilman.

A Bell That Cannot Ring (Evolution)

Wh-What in Aidios’ name was that? It looked like a devil straight from the church’s Testaments…
Regardless of its origin, it was emitting a terrifying amount of spiritual energy...
Ghosts, skeletons, monsters… and now we're fightin‘ devils? This place is messed up, man.

Well, you heard the man. Let’s go stop the creepypasta bell…

The bell‘s resonating...?
It could be that… It may be that the bell‘s resonance is causing the atmosphere.
The bell...?
Could you elaborate?
Of course, I don't know specifics. But I feel as if this bell is essentially the nucleus of the atmosphere covering this entire temple. In other words, if we can put an end to the resonance, maybe, just maybe...
...everything'll go back to normal?
What do you think, Sergeant Major? Should we give it a shot?
Yes, let's do it. Lloyd, Randy, could
you give me a hand? It'll have to be a team effort.

Yeah, looks like it. Blue sky's returned, too.
The atmosphere covering the temple seems to have dissipated. Perhaps, the interior...
It might have changed, right? We should head back inside and take a look.

Wow, the sunlight's shining through.
My monster radar ain't pickin' up any signals, either.
Yeah. Let's check out the lower floor, too.
I no longer detect the presence of time, space, or mirage in the area.

That‘s good to hear. But what exactly was the deal with this temple? There must have been a reason behind the strange resonance of that bell, right?
Unfortunately, that's beyond my knowledge. However, I'd say that there‘s an extremely high possibility of that bell being an artifact.
An artifact? What's that?
Artifacts are the remnants of the ancient Zemurian civilization that existed 1,200 years ago. They seem to hold powers beyond orbal technology and are under the strict control of the church...

It’s pronounced ar-TEE-fact, not artifact.

They're usually about some pompous rich guy who secretly had a crazy powerful one. Always ends with the church confiscatin' them, though.
Wow, this is news to me...
First I've heard of it, as well.
It‘s not surprising that the average person is unaware of their existence. After all, it‘s impossible to analyze artifacts using current technology.
R-Really?
Either way, I think we've collected enough information here. Let‘s turn in a report and leave further investigations to the specialists.

Noel salutes the SSS.

For a second there, I thought we were done for.
Good work in there, everyone!I still can't get over that bell, though. Those monsters were absurd, too...
Stargazer's Tower was mysterious, but this temple was really something else. Let‘s not forget that creepy ritual chamber behind the chapel...
I honestly find it hard to believe such an ominous place was once a church. What happened 500 years ago...?

Well, I say we leave that question to the historians and get outta here. I expected that place to be like a haunted house, but drat. That was nuts.
It really was. Angway, should we head back to where we parked the car?
Sounds good to me.

Back at the car:

I still have a bit of time before I need to be back. Need a ride anywhere?
Hmrn, let me think...
If you're offering, we might as well take you up on it.

Lloyd’s ENIGMA rings with an incoming call.

A call? Sorry, give me a minute.
Haha. Kinda weird time for someone to ring.

Oh, we're in the tunnel on Mainz Mountain Path right now. We just finished investigating some ruins in the area with your sister.
How's everyone doing? Were you able to safely complete gour investigation?
Yeah... At least, for now, angwag. Did you want me to hand her the phone? She‘s right here.
Ahaha. No, that's okay! If l needed to talk to her, I would have just called her Enigma! Actually, there's someone who'd like to ask the SSS a question or two.
Oh, sure. Who is it? A citizen?
Not quite, It's the mayor of Mainz. It sounds like he needs a consultation with your team.
Oh, really? This doesn't happen very often. Did he give you any details?
Apparently, one of the locals from Mainz went to visit Crossbell City, but he hasn't returned for several days. At least, that‘s what I gathered from everything he told me.
That sounds a little concerning… All right, we're already near Mainz, so we'll pay Mayor Bickson a visit. Fortunately for us, your sister can give us a ride there.
Heehee. Don't be afraid to work her to the bone! I'll go ahead and contact the mayor to let him know you're coming in advance.

Lloyd hangs up.

Was that Fran?
Yeah. She called to tell us about a new request.

Lloyd gave a short summary of what Fran said.

Hmm, I see... Mayor Bickson submitted a Support Request.
Someone visited the city and has yet to return home...?
May as well head on over and hear the story straight from the man himself.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. All right, Sergeant Major. Could you take us to Mainz?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The path leading to the temple is actually where the "A Bell That Cannot Ring" music starts, to set the ominous mood long before you reach the door.

The SSS doesn't react very vehemently to these strange enemies in the dungeon, but I bet if a certain green-haired priest was here, he'd probably be greatly alarmed, because these things should absolutely not be here, it means something has gone tremendously wrong.

I have mixed feelings about the evo version of Demonic Drive. My first reaction was that the very low-key melody did ruin it, but on the other hand, the sweeping brass and the use of bells/piano did work, and that version did grow on me. The evo version might not work in all the places where the original was used though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Wait is that what triggered the explosion? I never actually figured that out, and usually abused Burning Heart to get around that.