Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Curling is cool and good.

This year there is a new curling event at the olympics: mixed doubles! In this game a man and a woman team up to curl. Also each end has only five stones instead of eight, and there's something called a power play, and probably other esoteric differences who cares.

Today America beat Russia in their first match of initial round-robin matches! Sorry if that's a spoiler but it's your fault for not watching mixed doubles curling live streaming!

By the way you can officially live stream your mixed doubles curling from here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/curling

You can do it free for 30 minutes and after that you have to log in through a TV provider like comcast or directv or whtaever. If you don't have any of those things or even if you do, here is how to stream the olympics:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16986832/winter-olympics-pyeongchang-2018-how-to-watch-live-stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chicken posted:

I'll just leave this here so you can get PUMPED THE gently caress UP FOR CURLING!

if anyone scrolled past this and didn't click on it then you hosed up badly!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

WTF I didn't realize USA/CAN played this morning. I'm missing so much (live) curling!

Yeah and the result of the match was massively spoilered on the page where you go to watch a stream of it, something that I suddenly remember was a constant source of irritation last time I watched the olympics.

Goddamnit world I'm not up at 6 AM to watch curling don't shout the results out at the top of every page where sports are mentioned!

e. Oh yeah so, curling experts, under what conditions are you allowed to start brushing in front of your opponent's stones? Do they have to cross a particular line first, or is it just any time you want but if that's the case, what stops you from getting into counter-sweeping tangled battles in the house?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

How did Team USA allow curlers already on the men’s and women’s teams to do mixed doubles? Seems to devalue that event as an afterthought imo.

Why is Michael Phelps allowed to swim individual events as well as relays and team events?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

That's a terrible comparison.

Even if it weren't, you're kinda proving my point because the nature of swimming allows competitors to compete in too many events.

I honestly don't understand your point. In both summer and winter olympics, competitors are permitted to, and frequently do, compete in multiple events. Including both individual and team events. Why are you singling out curling to be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

In other sports like swimming and track, they’re primarily individual sports. The relay events are strongly tilted toward the team with the strongest individual athlete but a stronger team on average can still prevail.

Curling is primarily a team event. If countries allow someone from the team event to play in mixed doubles, then the strongest team basically gets another free medal. However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

Yeah I think there are lots of other olympic sports with multiple team events, and I think different team events of a given sport may have players who are great at two or more, and other players who specialize, and I think that's fine either way. I assume in most free countries it's up to the athletes to decide which team events to try out for, and earn their spot based on their performance as a team, or in some cases, as individuals.

It sounds like you look at mixed doubles as an inferior or easier event that is just an automatic medal for any medal-quality teams in the non-mixed regular curling event. I don't think that assumption will bear out.

• Locked thread