Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
How are those little beads on the ice made? I think someone said they spray water on the ice?

How often is the water sprayed? Can there a problem where after a while the entire play field is over swept and there's nothing left to sweep? Is it possible that a certain area has been swept so much that the ice is nice and smooth and the rock just decides to not curl even though you're team's not touching it?

Curling is fun. My Fiance's cousin is part of the local curling club and I only live like 15 minutes from it. He invited me to a charity event where you get to throw a stone for every bunch of money donated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ilmucche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFC8CnOD8w

It's called pebbling and is traditionally done by a man with a jug of water and a stick. Seriously. It's a real art.

Typically the ice will be scraped between draws of a bonspiel/ tournament to give it a flat surface then repebbled. There's a crazy amount of work that goes into making sure the ice is consistent for play.

The Brad Jacobs rink had some means gazes and comments sent their way when they hit the scene if I'm remembering it right, because they had the gall to cheer and whoop a bit when they were making good shots.

Chicken posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they do it for the Olympics but it's probably pretty similar to how they do it in clubs. Ice making is a huge part of curling and there's a Canadian curling hero named Shorty Jenkins (A+ name) who's famous solely for ice making.

Maybe half an hour before each game you'll see some dude with what looks like a backpack come onto the ice and walk backwards down each sheet gently sprinkling water drops the whole way. After that, he'll take a huge planer out onto the ice which just barely clips off the very top of the new ice pebbles. The final step is to take a seven foot wide lambswool broom out onto the ice to clear off all of the ice shavings. At the Olympics they probably add a few steps but the process is functionally the same.

Over time in a game the pebble will gradually wear away and you might hear curlers comment on "flat spots" or say a rock is "running" in a spot. It probably won't come up much in the mixed doubles as the games are shorter and they only throw 10 rocks an end, but it will definitely be a factor for the men's and women's events. It's all part of the game and the skips just keep an eye on it and might expect rocks to curl a bit less and go a bit slower as the game goes on.

Another factor is the conditions in the building. Humidity is a huge problem and when you have larger than normal crowds (like a gold medal game) the heat and humidity from the crowd can hugely affect the ice. I think this building was purpose built for curling and they have some great ice makers so they should be able to mitigate that.

Neat

Thanks

I'm a very behind the scenes kind of person and for some reason I'm super interested in how it works.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Island Nation posted:

I can personally attest to it being a good group of people (It’s the club I’m in). They should have learn to curl events after the season ends but I’d have to check my email if they posted anything sooner

woah cool

my fiance's cousin goes to this club too

that's real neato

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
what the gently caress is happening'

like, not just this game. just olympic curling in general

Renegret
May 26, 2007