Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

GobiasIndustries posted:

so they brush forward and back if they're trying to keep it going and sideways if they want to slow it? Seriously I wasn't being glib with my previous post I don't know a loving thing about curling but I want to.

The ice itself is covered in little ice beads that let the rocks slide. Because of that, under normal circumstance the rocks would only slide straight if you don't put any curl on the rock. However, in order for them to get the rocks to go where they want they need to curl. The problem is that once the rocks starts to spin it wants to continue spinning in place. So when the person throwing the rock goes to spin it, they have to put enough force behind it to make sure it reaches the other end of the ice. Otherwise it'll just do donuts in the middle of the ice.

The role of the sweepers is to affect those beads on the ice. Sweeping wears down the beads and makes the rock slide straight. So you'll see them sweep for most of it because they don't want to rock curling until it's just right. The skip (captain) generally sits at the other end of the ice and is the person you hear screaming. They're giving directions to the sweepers depending on how the rock is moving. If it's not curling enough, the skip tells them to stop. if it's overcurling then the skip tells them to sweep harder. Sweeping also makes the rocks slide farther. This is why you'll generally see a player sweep the front of a rock that is about to stop so they can get it move an inch or so more. Players also do this to make the opposing rocks slide too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread