Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Inspector_666 posted:

You pretty much had to slide out of the hack, then use your gripper foot or knees to fling yourself forward and throw the stone at the same time. It was also pretty much impossible to not just grip the thing and seriously spin it while you did that.

Then the sweepers had to literally run after it. The three rocks we sat to score those points were the only ones that stayed in the house, and the vast majority didn't even make it to the opposite hockey blue line. (Although we did get it right to that "almost" point with regularity.)

Still an absolute shitload of fun. I was grouped up with some other randos and our instructor said we got the throwing motion faster/better than anybody he'd seen come through :smug:

EDIT: Here's one of my throws that I don't think cleared the midline
https://twitter.com/Low_rax/status/974124173579649024
(I didn't lunge forward from my knees like I should have.)

The whole thing is simultaneously easier and way harder than I thought it would be. I assumed I was going to flip over and break every bone in my body as soon as I released the stone, which wasn't the case at all. Also holy poo poo I'm woefully out of shape.

cool, that's the rink i curl at. my team just won the sunday late league championship :cool:

only problem there is that the rink being multi purpose/the zamboni being not very good/the temperature changing constantly have combined to create pretty much permanent ruts in the ice which the stones are sort of at the mercy of at all times. hopefully next year they come up with some way to keep it consistently flat but i won't hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if you played a full match you'd have really noticed it, there were some really deep tracks that the stone would either get sort of stuck in or slingshot off the edge of and go way wide of the house. the sheet closest to the outside (towards the figure skating rink) was the worst for that, everything would veer super hard off to the sides

• Locked thread