Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's more that Hebert wasn't listening to the skip and making his own sweeping decisions. They seem to have calmed down now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's good that they added doubles so canada can still get 2 curling medals

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
To a certain extent, Canadian teams already do a self selection process of sorts. Some at least. Koe's team was put together with two guys from Kevin Martin's team and one from Glen Howard's specifically for the four year run to the Olympics. Kerri Einarson (a top 10 world ranked skip) just dropped her current team and put together a team with Val Sweeting ( another top 10 world skip), Shannon Birchard (who replaced Lawes on team Jones for the Scotties), and Briane Meilleur. That's pretty much a super team, and if they stay together they should have a good shot at the next Olympics. (also Manitoba is now even more ridiculous with the new Einarson team, Jen Jones, and Tracy Fleury taking over Einarson's old team).

After the Brier and the mens and womens World Championships there could be some other teams breaking up and reforming. The emergence of mixed doubles might also impact some teams, as I could see some people trying to switch to that full time. John Morris already said he would if he could.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

These guys get low on the delivery.

It's called the tuck. Went out of style except in manitoba. If you see someone throwing like that chances are they're from manitoba

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I am officially taking a curling intro class on March 14th.

I heard about the tuck when I was learning about curling lingo for the Olympics, but I only ever read the definition as referring to how only the ball of your foot is on the ice (like Matt Hamilton.) But the guy throwing third rock for McEwen was practically laying on the ice and it's fantastic.

Yeah BJ and Mike throw ridiculously low. They both use the old school corn broom all taped up as a stabilizer too. They are rad. Really hoping they can finally win a national championship at the brier this year.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Those stabilizers have a brush head on the side so they technically qualify as brooms

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Team McEwen is splitting up. Wonder what will come of that. Maybe two new teams? I think Dunstone will be looking for a more permanent team for the next olympic cycle. Maybe he gets on board with either Mike or BJ.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
New Canadian men's teams starting to come together. John Epping picked up Brett Laing and Craig Savill. Koe adds BJ Neufeld and Colton Fasch. Mike McEwen will join Carruthers to throw 4th stones.

Those three teams along with team Gushue and team Jacobs should be the best teams over the next four years. They all play out of different provinces, so should be in the Brier every year.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Sweden made a great shot to take it to an extra end. Hopefully your stream comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Also for those who prefer the mixed doubles game, the Canadian mixed doubles championships are in their final weekend. Games are being shown on CBC for those with access. Quarterfinal draw at 4 est. Matchups and scores here: http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!/competitions/3564

• Locked thread