Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I did not expect SAS to have a curling thread, this is awesome.

Been watching on and off for years with the grandparents, but I just started playing last year as a 37 year old. Game is fun as hell and playing it gives you a great perspective on what the pros are doing.

Was awesome to hear about John and Kaitlyn's win this morning, can't wait to watch the game later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Oh hey, I've been enjoying your Building a life in the country thread.

Hey thank you. Stay tuned, got a big arc coming up for season seven.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

alnilam posted:

How do those shoes work anyway

WienerDog posted:

The sole of the sliding foot is made of some slippery polymer, and when the want grip they cover it up with a slip-on rubber sole.

Yeah exactly. Your sliding foot has a sole or pads of (I think it's either nylon or a high density polyurethane) slippery plastic, and the other is textured rubber. These are mine:

Then you have a slip-on gripper to cover it up when you don't want to break your neck. You can see how the toe gets worn down by sliding on the ice, I haven't even curled a full season in these yet and the left one is a little road rashed.

Lots of people who are just getting into the game just use the loaner stuff the rinks have, which is generally a flip-flop or sandal-like slider that slips over your normal street sneakers. It works fine, but these shoes are quite comfortable and very functional.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Watching the Canadian games is a fuckin real emotional roller coaster here boys.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

More like "these loving Russians".

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

These guys get low on the delivery.

I wish I had that kind of balance :sigh:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Did a bonspiel (just for fun) with people from my company yesterday.

Holy gently caress I'm tired. 3 games, 6 ends per.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HPL posted:

Any recommendations on shoes? I'm thinking Goldline Swifts since they seem to have a thick slider (for an entry level shoe), the price is right and they don't look like total rear end.

I really like my balance plus ones. Sample size of one, only kind I've ever used, not terribly expensive.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

JFC this bc/ Nova Scotia game is intense. That last shot by ns in the ninth end was incredible the way he knocked one out and rolled in front of bc's stone was pro.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Woe is (Jamie) Koe

Yeah that's unfortunate. Poor guys.

Nova Scotia played a good game though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

Where is Team Canada from? Because Ontario seems real good at this curling thing.

EDIT: Also I loving love the lead TSN commentator and how he talks to the players. "Gotta get to the 4 fellas! Gotta get there boys!"

Assuming you're taking about the Brier, team Gushue is from Newfoundland.

They're quite good. But yes, Ontario always produces competitive teams, they have a large population to draw from.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

leftist heap posted:

St. John's has a "highway" named after Brad Gushue. They are kinda heroes in Newfoundland.

Well deserved, imo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

Wowwwwwwww what and ending to Alberta/Northern Ontario.

I think Alberta are my favorite team now, between their boy wonder captain, large adult son third, and not having a coach or alternate there.

Yeah holy poo poo I caught the last two ends and that was an incredible comeback.

Jacobs is a great curler and that's kind of a lovely way to lose, but being from Alberta I feel pretty great about the talent of these kids, they're doing amazingly well.

Local curling news:. My rink won the c league aggregate in our recreation league, girlfriend's team won the A, feels good man :unsmith:

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That Canada/USA game today was a fuckin nail biter.

Very entertaining to watch though, I learned some stuff (that I will never be able to replicate because my skill is infinitesimal compared to these guys).

• Locked thread