Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Andorra posted:

Hey guys remember the US women's team in Sochi? What a trainwreck lol

NEVER FORGET

https://tune.pk/video/2363400/usa-women-curling-team-what-does-the-skip-say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Chicken posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they do it for the Olympics but it's probably pretty similar to how they do it in clubs. Ice making is a huge part of curling and there's a Canadian curling hero named Shorty Jenkins (A+ name) who's famous solely for ice making.

To say nothing of the pink cowboy hat.

gret posted:

He keeps winning our trials so I'd imagine we don't have any one better. I'm kind of surprised random countries aren't poaching elite curlers from Canada who have a minuscule chance of going to the Olympics representing Canada.

Russia was trying to do exactly that, recruiting a most of a team from the ranks of the Manitoba juniors. They wanted a decent showing in Sochi, but dropped the plan pretty early. Reported payday for those kids would have been $100,000 US per year for three years leading up to the 2014 games. Many (perhaps most teams) recruit a Canadian to coach.

Someone also brought up curling needing some heels. Bingyu Wang's rink got a little too excited about Jennifer Jones missing a shot in a round robin game once and there was a lot of ink devoted to the lack of decorum on the part of the Chinese. One of their players was so excited for the win that she tossed her broom in the air! SCANDALOUS! To borrow a phrase from cricket, it's just not curling.

Advanced Class
Something interesting to note is that this will be the final Olympics with the four rock rule in the free guard zone. The various governing bodies of curling are implementing a five rock rule that will start up with the next Olympic cycle, which essentially begins this coming fall.

This will alter the desirable characteristics for seconds, as their role for straight up heavy-hitting will diminish as they will have to have a bit more finesse with their first rock in ends with the hammer. I'm liking it because it might lead to more ticking, or at least attempts at it.

Personally, I don't really see why the four rock rule was ever a thing in the first place. The three rock rule was there to help a trailing team establish a guard; five rock rule helps them establish two. Maybe four rocks was a necessary step to get it to where it really needed to be.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm enjoying watching mixed doubles curling, but I don't think I much care for it. The wild swings in momentum generally have less to do with a well made shot than with one gone horribly awry from the opponent. That certainly happens in regular curling, but there it is more the exception than the rule. It's like watching arena football versus regular gridiron football: exciting for a while but then the weaknesses really start to overtake the strengths.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
As someone from Manitoba, I must point out that the Jennifer Jones rink is and remains the only women's team to be undefeated at the Olympics. (I'm guessing that Sweden or Japan don't run the table).

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Lots of trouble with her draw weights. If the Danes (and every other team) learn anything from that fifth end, it's to not let her hit. Which they should already know because that's her team's real strength. Her first rock in six was also way off while Denmark (who has a young front end and a skip who hasn't been on an international podium in a decade) seems to be reading the ice just fine.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Get your forks out, Homan's done.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Four losses might get you into a tiebreaker, but only one of those team will make it into the playoffs.

Canada has two upcoming games against former world champions and given the way they've preformed against a couple of minnows and in general on the tour this season (for everything other than the trials) they are almost certain to suffer that fourth loss. Muirhead is the most likely to do it, she's beat Homan 11 of the 18 times they have played, including their most recent matchup in early September last year. Wang hasn't ever beat Homan, but if there is a time, it would appear to be now.

And I suppose it is open season on any burned rock from her team now and into the distant future. Or probably not because the other team will want to seem the better sportsman, and we'll hear endlessly about that from the commentators.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

funkybottoms posted:

i was about to ask how early teams usually concede, but, whelp, there you go

There is a minimum number of ends they have to play and in major events (the televised ones), that number is a bit higher than at a club. My memory is hazy as to who it was or when (I'm pretty sure it was a couple of "household" names at a Brier) but once during a really lopsided affair teams decided to split the fine for ditching the game early, shook hands and went to drink beer. It was a very curling thing to do, but it caused problems with the television schedule and the fines were dramatically increased for the next event.

EDIT: Glenn Howard (Ontario) was up 11-1 on Eddie MacKenzie (P.E.I.) at the 2011 Brier. They shook after five, minimum is seven at the event. It wasn't the TV game, but Canadian Curling Association officials said it disappoints people who paid to get in. Like watching Howard further whallop that poor Islander made for fun viewing...

Also, newer teams will sometimes continue to take the beating just to build up more experience against considerably better teams. Just this past Scotties, the Northwest Territories played Manitoba into the 8th end despite being down 12-1 heading into the 7th. Based on the score cards, that wasn't the only instance, but its the only one I remember seeing on TV. I'm all for it when it involves the territories, because more chances for Sarah Koltun to try crazy-rear end shots is better than less.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 17, 2018

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

That would work so much better if his family didn't pronounce it KOO-ee. You can always bet there is some wet-behind-the-ears kid doing the sports at some random radio station who is going to get a talking to from his sports director whenever Kevin or his brother is doing something.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What the Christ, Canada.

EDIT: Which NHL coach is going to have to phone Koe?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
She'll be at the Worlds this year.

Canada has historically done very poorly at the worlds, but I could see Jones really trying to show up Homan. She's also been curling remarkably well (trials aside) this season. That's probably more important to how well she'll do. Also, the World Championships are in North Bay, Ontario, so I could see other teams wanting to lose early and often to miss out on the playoffs so they can leave ASAP.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
They do need a bit of help from others, but I think every possible outcome of the assortment of teams finishing at 5-4 guarantees Canada a place in a tie breaker game. Aside from the six-way tie possibility, she's probably facing Muirhead in the tie-breaker. Chances will improve dramatically if Miskew gets healthy. If Miskew gets much sicker though, I don't know if its worse to leave her in or to sub in Bernard.

And doesn't Cheryl (or any alternate) have to curl at least one end to qualify for the medal?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Zeeman posted:

Based on their site, there doesn't seem to be a possible situation where 3 teams are tied at 4-5-6, at least on the men's side

For the women it happens if: 1) CAN defeats GBR and OAR; 2) SWE wins one and loses the other in remaining games with USA and CHN; 3) JPN defeats SWI. Let's just say Korea wins out (it doesn't matter what they do, they've qualified) with the above situation and it would create a final standings that looks like this:

South Korea 8-1
Sweden 6-3
Japan 6-3
Great Britain 5-4
Canada 5-4
China or USA 5-4

To determine who gets into the 4-5-6 tiebreaker, the record against those other teams, then by LSD. The team with the worst showing is then just plain eliminated and the other two play the tiebreaker. Canada would have an advantage there if it was the USA that got into the tie, probably LSD too since Team Homan I think is top two in the tournament in that.

As an off-shoot of the above, if Japan lost then there would be a 3-4-5-6 tie with two tiebreaker games and winners of those advancing to the playoff round. There is a possibility of a six way tie for second place as well, meaning three concurrent tiebreaker games being played with winners advancing. They probably use the same sort of rules for that, but somewhere there is also a rule for just straight up drawing names out of a hat for opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Chicken posted:

I had not heard that! That's quite something to finish second at the Scotties and then tell your team to gently caress off. She's really good though and that team is insane although I'm not sure how four skips are going to all play together without some major fights or taking up all the time on the clock.

Teams changing up their Facebook pages is how the news came out. There was an official statement that followed, but that was the first indication. At least that's what the real die-hards over at Curling Zone say.

As for other changes, I'm thinking Team Homan has a bit of a shakeup coming. I'll guess that one of either Miskew or Weagle leave for personal/professional reasons, or maybe Courtney just gets punted. I'm not quite sure how they're getting by the residency requirement with both Homan and Courtney living in Alberta, maybe that's what ends up doing it.

• Locked thread