Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Have been curling for about 8 years; I can confirm curling is cool and good, both to watch and to do. Throwing rocks is fun; sweeping is fun and really satisfying to do well; yelling at your guys to sweep HARD NO GUYS REALLY HARD YOU GOT THIS is also fun. (I play vice, so I get to do all of those things.)

Seriously, I got into the sport after the Vancouver games and thought "huh, too bad there's no place around here to do that" but it turns out THERE IS. (Note, in the US, "around here" may mean something like a 45 minute drive. Not like in Canada where Toronto has like 25 curling clubs.)

My club (Potomac Curling Club in Laurel, MD) does an open house (aka a "Try Curling" event) about twice a year, and the one we're having next week has been sold out for months because it's during the Olympics and everyone wants to see what the hell this is about.

Also, I just love to talk about curling, so like Chicken, I'll answer any questions I can, whether about the Olympics, other competitions, or just the sport in general. (At one point, I tried to start a general curling thread in main SAS; it didn't last very long.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I wouldn’t mind trying curling if I wasn’t so terrified of walking on ice.

If you're in a position to try it anyway, I'd say go for it. When we teach lessons at my club, we always start with taking the group up and back across the ice so everyone gets a feel for it, and if they're uncomfortable, we can get them different grippers or something.

As was mentioned somewhere before, the ice isn't flat; it's "pebbled" giving it a texture usually described as kind of like an orange peel. If you're wearing shoes with a rubber, textured sole, you should be just fine.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Chicken posted:

USA gave up a 6??? How do you even do that? Gonna have to watch that game.

To be fair; they were up 1. Giving up 2 is the same as giving up 8, so ignoring all those peripheral rocks was the right play. They just didn't make the final shot they needed to lock in the steal/force.

Last night, they both just seemed really frustrated (Matt especially) and I know what it's like to be too far in your own head to make a shot. Maybe, once they get to fours, the rest of the teams can keep them in check. (Or maybe they'll go with the fifths for a few games.)

I still think Team Shuster has a good shot at making the top 4, but until they actually start playing, it's a pretty baseless prediction.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am no curling expert, but isn't the strategy pretty repetitive for normal 4-person curling too?

It can be, but when you start with no rocks in play, you can put your first one wherever you want to dictate how the end plays out. If you want an open end with no guards, you can throw the first stone into the house and make the other team take it out. (They might ignore it at first if they need to score, but eventually, they'll have to do something about your stones.) The center guard and back four stone, coupled with the four rock rule means the only real viable first shot is the freeze. (I've played in games where we went for the tick, but then you're just exposed in the back four.

leftist heap posted:

Mixed doubles seemed to have a tendency to get pretty out of hand. A lot of games seemed to be called before they played 8 ends. Maybe that's just cause I mostly watched Canada buzzsaw through everyone.

Just about all curling games are called early. 3 out of 8 men's games only went 9 ends, and none of the four women's games went 10. (a 9, two 8s and a 7.) (Remember that mixed doubles games are scheduled for 8 ends, while fours are scheduled for 10, and there are a lot fewer ways to score a big end. A team down 4 after 7 in fours is playing for a 2 or 3 in the 8th, a force, and then a 2 or 3 in the 10th to tie/win. A team down 4 after 7 in mixed doubles is done.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bankok posted:

And there’s the Shuster we know. Italy with a 5 in the 3rd.

And then gets a 3. Win or lose, Shuster always makes for good TV.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Zeeman posted:

They haven't calculated the possible results on the women's side yet (because we can still hypothetically end up with a 6 team tie if things get crazy), but here are the men's possibilities:

http://www.worldcurling.org/owg2018/scenarios-men (There's a PDF link here)

Checked this out earlier today, and every scenario where USA wins gets them at least a tiebreaker game. Come on, Shoostie! (I make fun of you a lot, but you're an awesome dude and still a way better curler than me. Go get 'em!)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I wouldn’t mind trying curling someday, but I live in an area where curling is only mentioned in passing during the Olympics.

Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised. There are decent-sized curling clubs in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Those stabilizers have a brush head on the side so they technically qualify as brooms

They do, but those are more for being able to clean off a rock with them. The rules don't actually say anything about what you use as a sliding device.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

leftist heap posted:

I use a crutch now, since I'm a beginner. If it wasn't for the fact that logistically it's a bit of a PITA to go back and fetch it after ends I'd probably say gently caress it and just keep using it.

Yeah, in cases like that, you want to either get a second one, so you can just keep one at each end, or see if you can get the vice to take it to the other end when they hold the broom for the skip. (Or just start playing vice.)

At my club, we just keep one at each end of each sheet. They're really easy to make; you can make one out of a few dollars worth of PVC. https://curldc.org/data/154/documents/stabilizer-how-to-make.pdf

EDIT: And when you make your own, you can do fun stuff like make it into a giant flask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m in central IL. I think the closest curling club that I know of is in St Louis, which is a couple hours away.

Yeah, unless Waltham is closer, then you're stuck for the moment.

For anyone else, here's a map of the curling clubs in the US. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1lJalmmF1kLUaoU6-pOzPdPX9SL-4nrU7&ll=49.84974878126443%2C-109.46749770000008&z=3

• Locked thread