Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You could still have more Clara with Capaldi, but I’d just have one season. Bill deserved more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You could still have Last Christmas? But yeah, Heaven Sent wouldn’t have the same weight, true.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really like Last Christmas, and thought that was the thread consensus? :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I decided to finish up CLASS and uh, this was a terrible idea.

Anyone is this thread could have told you that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My boyfriend skipped Capaldi, and I was thinking of giving him a list of highlights, and it would probably end up being about 10 episodes and lots of ‘ok this 10 minutes of Deep Breath’ ‘five minutes near the end of Zygon inversion, but don’t look too deeply at the meaning of the words’ bits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

The secret commentary track on The Five Doctors.

Seconded, it's worth the price of entry alone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm sorry, the Robots of what?

of DEATH

<twaaaaang>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Light is a very good story, the downside is that it can take a couple of viewings to piece everything together. It’s very densely packed, and there’s not a wasted moment (indeed, it could honestly use a little more room to breathe).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

See, I don’t know if Remembrance is a good jumping on point, seeing how much it depends on continuity. It’s literally a 25th anniversary story (far more than Silver Nemesis was). I’d suggest maybe Curse of Fenric?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like that a lot. Kind of Art Deco-y.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

At media cons, sure. At the cons I go to, guests are willing to shoot the poo poo with people at the hotel bar, or sometimes wander through the halls and crash parties. This includes actors as well as big name writers.

Yeah, my limited experience of cons are largely the Discworld/British sci-fi ones which are more low key and the guests absolutely spend lots of time in the bar chatting with anyone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently Murray Gold confirmed at Gallifrey One he wasn’t coming back for Season 11. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

We've known this for awhile haven't we?

It was floating about for quite some time, but there was no confirmation from anywhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

Pfft, they were just filming in Cape Town for a month. We’re going to end up with a 4 episode season at this rate.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well many may recall that back in the :filez: day that Rose actually leaked a few days early with the Fourth Doctor theme over the credits. And it was a very low rez source so a lot of people were being lovely about the quality.

I remember that! I watched it that way because it was New Who and I couldn’t wait, and then not being overly impressed when I did watch it. :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh we’ve moved from Rose reactions to first Who. For me, that was being about 6 years old and catching a man being chased by a robot on prime time BBC1. That never happened, so I was rapt. It turned out to be Paradise Towers (I’ve still not actually worked out what episode). I guess I was Whooked!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s snowing over here (not my photo).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I went to the midnight release of the Movie on VHS here in London, and got it signed by Geoffrey Sax. It was a week before broadcast, and couldn’t wait.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I got a little creative before the snow here in the UK vanishes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't really watch Doctor Who anymore but I will always be disappointed that Capaldi didn't get to be super sweary talking about Daleks.

Because Doctor Who isn’t the Thick of It, that was a different role. It’s like being being mad Gandalf didn’t bust out his magnetic powers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Weren’t they going to reboot that? Sam’s daughter or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d hope any new QL series kept the future aesthetic of computers made of light up Lego.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Is there really a demand for a new Quantum Leap? Can't we just, you know, have something original?

(I realize I'm saying this in a thread for a show that got revived 16 years after cancellation)

Honestly, I could use more optimistic sci-fi on my screen, and QL was nothing if not hopeful in tone.

And we totally saw what the back end of Project Quantum Leap looked like! And honestly, by going off the wall with its coloured block scheme, it didn’t really date.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ll have to call it something other than The Avengers, I’d imagine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Steed and Peel" or something like that (everyone forgets that Honor Blackman was the co-star for a couple of years before Diana Rigg showed up).

Everyone forgets that Steed was the sidekick for the first season to another guy, Dr Keel. Honor Blackman didn’t show up till season 2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Let's be real, there's at least one DW episode sitting in a private collection somewhere that won't ever see the light of day because the owner never talks about it and is also a dick.

Isn’t it that episode of the Web Of Fear?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And clearly there's only one song they can use as the theme.

Bien sur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLAsBzOOhLQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Still the big problem of the Celestial Toymaker though.

I feel like that one you can still handwave to mean 'of the stars' or 'ethereal', a la Celestial Intervention Agency.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m assuming they’re not going to be dicks and still have the OCD-compliant style on the inside of the cover so you can swap out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s interesting that the room the Doctor chose for himself there is very evocative of the original console room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

So there's gonna be a Blu-Ray of Season 12 (Tom Baker's first season).

Sounds pretty good on paper: you're getting no less than two all-time classics of the Baker era. Wonder how the upscale will look.

...Now do ones for the McCoy era so you can get to Season 26 so I can own these things without having to spend $150 on a Battlefield DVD :argh:

Get a region free DVD player? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FJ5D5M/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love Japanese Doctor Who :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Here's something cool I saw on Twitter! Andrew Skilleter, the guy who's done a bunch of covers for Doctor Who books, such as Virgin novels and Target novelisations, also made a second version of his artwork for the cover of The Five Doctors with Doctors Six through Ten:

(sorry for the low-res images though)

Fine, I'll say it. That McGann is terrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I see they’re stretching the ‘Public Call’ bit of the Police Box text again. That’ll ruffle echoplex.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Round up Alex Kingston and Lisa Bowerman and do River & Benny's Wild Ride as a series of TV movies.

Big Finish have got to have something in mind like this, surely?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think the only thing I liked about this episode was the monk’s shield effect when a soldier fires on it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I liked that he was painted as the voice of Classic Who, talking to the spirit of New Who, with its pair of naughty schoolboy Doctors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I love Hurt's version.
Am not a hardcore fan, is there any canon on how long did this regeneration lived? As he was young when he first appeared in the mini ep.

None, really, and it would be impossible to tell due to the temporal mindfuck nature of the Time War. In all honesty, we don't really know how long any of the Doctor's regenerations lasted.

EDIT: ok, we know Eleven was on Trenzalore for 900 years, and by the end of that he looked a fair bit older than the War Doctor, but he also travelled for another 200 years without apparently aging any between seasons 5 and 6, so you could probably say Eleven's incarnation lasted roughly 1200 years, probably a little more.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

Also the Doctor likely doesn't even remember how old he is.

He jumped a few centuries or so during the Fourth Doctor's era from the Third and was somewhere north of 2000 by Seven, and then dropped back down to just 2000 for Nine

Chances are the Doctor is way, WAY older than he even thinks just because of time poo poo

Time of the Rani gives us an age of 953 years old for both him and the Rani, and then 900 when Nine rolled around,

• Locked thread