Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, you've redecorated....

I don't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/961939529765654529

New thread new Big Finish news. All the old CD only Gallifrey releases are now available on download, plus some discounts to celebrate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Big Finish, they're running a $5 sale on Main Range stores 101-150 til the 22nd

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a frequent anime-con goer, and only the toppest of top tier guests have any kind of photo or autograph fees. It was a bit of a sticker shock seeing autographs or photo ops going for $50-$100 at other media cons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was vaguely aware of Doctor Who from a book I had in elementary school about sci-fi robots that had pages on Daleks and Cybermen; but I didn't get into actually watching the show until 2008. I can't even remember why I started watching it, but I picked it up starting with Rose, and binged through the revival up through the end of season 4, and then I had to wait for the Year of Specials/Season 4.5

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Tales From New Earth is out today from Big Finish. I'd love a goon-pinion on this one...first New Series-related boxset I haven't preordered.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Did they get the guy that's the 10-soundalike that they're using for the Chronicles release?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/lady-christina-returns

Lady Christina is getting her own boxset Adventures.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand; BF has a history of making fun side stories with minor characters. They managed to turn Jago and Litefoot from a one-story side duo into over a dozen box sets of quality adventures.

If this was taking the place of the Monthly releases or something, I'd be worried; but as a spin-off; it can be safely ignored for those who don't care all that much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Been working my way through the second Churchill boxset from Big Finish; it's chock full of fun references. Churchill contemplates who to turn to to solve a mystery and laments that "the pathologist and theater impresario aren't in business any more". And in a different episode, the Doctor and Churchill end up in a parallel earth where the most common flying machine is the zeppelin (because what else could it be in parallel earth); Churchill mentions not trusting the things after the R101. The Doctor is all "yeah; you're telling me"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh so that is supposed to be Sam Bishop? I was afraid they were just reusing the art for him because Warren Brown's in it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"The Chimes of Midnight" is cool and good.

:yeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Seems a shame to wait until Christmas to listen to it...

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm torn between the second War Doctor box and the second Classic Doctors, New Monsters box. Which should I go for?

War Doctor, no contest

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would poo poo bricks if Big Finish did Goosebumps stories though...

Also; I had a dream a while back that I was in a universe where BF's bread and butter was Star Wars instead of Doctor Who, and I would love to import hundreds of CDs from that alternate realm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Burns Effect posted:

maybe that would have led to an alternate universe where the star wars eu wasn't garbage

That's the universe we're in now!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

The Star Wars EU includes a giant pile of golden meat that's powered by Anti-Force, who eats force-sensitive people to get enough Anti-Force to go back to its home dimension. It also has healing powers, except when it kills people it's trying to heal instead for no clearly-defined reason.

This is the only use of Anti-Force, ever.

Not every single entry is great...but there's more good than bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

The yuuzhan vong pile alone makes that not true

The New Jedi Order Series is the pinnacle of great idea with flawed execution (like a bunch of Doctor Who concepts!)

Davros1 posted:

Happy Birthday Peter Davison! Buy some Big Finish!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/fifth-doctor-special-offers

If you haven't already get The Fifth Doctor Boxset (Seriously, "Iterations of I" is simply one of the best Doctor Who stories, in any medium), and The Secret History.

Heh...there was only a single story in there I didn't already have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, hold on. You're listening to a McCoy Big Finish BEFORE you've actually seen a McCoy serial?!? Has the world gone mad?!?!?!?!?!?

Other than Five Doctors, I hadn't seen a single 5th, 6th, or 7th serial before getting deep into Big Finish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of the 10th doctor: the 10th Doctor Chronicles set released today from BF.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/eighth-doctor-time-war-2?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=timewar2

Big Finish is moving to a new cover layout that uses the new brand logo, with reversible covers where appropriate that use an era-specific logo.

Find this story on Facebook if you want to see some dude having a mental breakdown and Big Finish is getting too "politically correct"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 19, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll admit, I'm gonna miss the standardized bar down the left side of the art, but it's not a deal breaker for my enjoyment of BF

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess it'll come down to artists making use of the layout. If you know the art is gonna be covered by a sidebar, you can account for that when making the cover in the first place.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Listened to some more of the 10th Doctor Chronicles today; Sylvia Noble is still an absolutely delight of a character and I'm glad they brought her back

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's some manner of 90 minute "director's cut" version of genesis of the Daleks being shown theatrically in June. Fathom already has tickets up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

How in the hell would that even work

I mean

What is that even going to cut? Are they going to touch up effects? Restore the picture? Or

I'm very confused

It's billed as a "never before seen 90 minute Director's Cut" so that's, what, over an hour trimmed out somehow?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So does this mean BF can use 12th Doctor era stuff now? Or is Gomez's Master an edge case because that character exists in other eras?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

It seems like they can use whatever is considered a past Doctor. With 13 now the current Doctor, 12's era would seem to be fair game. v:shobon:v

Gotcha; I thought the license ran explicitly to the end of the 11th Doctor's run, but hey, I'm cool with this end result.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

Can't believe they finally got Eric Roberts! Very cool. Will be good to see what BF does to his version of the character.

Also looking forward to the sequel box set with Alex Macqueen, John Simm, Gordon Tipple, and CGI Snake. :allears:

I hear CGI Snake is a bit of a diva and hard to work with

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone wants to try their hand at writing for Big Finish, the third annual Paul Spragg Memorial is open. This time you can write for any Doctor up through the 12th; excluding the War Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I finished Jago and Litefoot Forever today. I'm glad they were able to put something together as a capstone to the series, especially given the cliffhanger at the end of Series 13. Litefoot's appearance is really obviously cribbed from old dialog; like, I'm pretty sure I'd have been able to tell even if I hadn't known Baxter had passed away. But really, that doesn't matter all that much. It's a fun little send off tale with a heartwarming ending. My only compliant is that Ellie is a little shortchanged, especially given Quick gets another promotion in the course of this one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the Forever behind the scenes, David Warner laments the end of J&L because he liked working with a pair of leading actors a decade older than he was

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I'm pretty sure the cover has already been posted...but I just want to appreciate this some more

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Colin Baker wrote a short trip for the 6th Doctor once, and it was glorious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is a CD-buyer from Big Finish, they've announced some changes to how they'll manage physical releases going forward, due to a large drop off of disc-buyers in favor of download-only customers.

The tl;dr is that releases will be stocked on disc for at least 12 months following their release, and past that it will depend on how well they're selling on disc. Anything that they'll take out of physical production will be announced ahead of time on their website and social media such that anyone on the fence has a heads up on how long they have to make a purchase.

Also, certain releases will be deemed as a limited physical run from the beginning; such as the 2 Class box sets.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else catching the theatrical edit of Genesis of the Daleks today?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Genesis of the Daleks on the big screen was fun...but the cuts bringing it down to 90 minutes were a bit awkward in places

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh it looked great, though the visual quality difference from the outdoor quarry sets and the better interior sets was VERY noticeable in HD

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

they kept the giant clam right

I've never seen all of Genesis before...are you referring the the rock one of the mutate people was gonna use as a bludgeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Huh...didn't see that at all. Either it was cut or i missed it

Edit: looked it up; it was cut.

• Locked thread