Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thread title explanation, for the lucky few who haven't heard it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love the idea that in his extreme old age the Doctor not only decided to run around as Tom Baker again, but as a fatter, more insane version of Tom Baker

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The one thing that has me slightly optimistic is that Chibnall will apparently be using a proper writer’s room.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cleretic posted:

Isn't this the explosion where his costume caught fire, but he kept going because he knew they wouldn't be able to do another take?

I thought the issue was that the explosion was much larger than they expected

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Are the modern comics any good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dabir posted:

The art is pretty bad in my experience.

Rhyno posted:

They try but overall they've been bad.

That’s what I figured. IDW’s artists range from serviceable to outright awful. That’s why I stopped bothering with their Trek stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Look I know I'm a huge loving nerdo, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that I do like to take care of my general appearance, have been exercising regularly, and try to wear clothes that compliment my body type. I also perform good hygiene.

The local Comic Con I go to is pretty bad on that front, but Star Wars Celebration was surprisingly... human? I only noticed one dude all weekend who absolutely reeked and that was in an overnight panel line.

He also fell asleep spilling out of his lawn chair and snored so loud security had to wake him up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

GenCon is the smelliest con I have ever attended. I get flashbacks to the smells every time the con rolls around.

There’s only one dedicated games store near me where I can buy X-Wing stuff and god help you if you ever go in on a Magic night. You can literally smell the players before you even enter.

I imagine GenCon is that x100.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, this is interesting.

A little more info. I'm not sure why this wouldn't just be a new DVD set since almost everything was shot on video. I guess it might be convenient for Region 1 folks since I'm fairly sure some of these are out of print. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Maybe because with 172 episodes at 25 minutes a pop, so at 72 hours of standard-def resolution, you could conceivably fit them all just a couple of discs?

It’s only his first season, so 20 episodes/8.3 hours.

This also seems like something that may sell well for one or two seasons, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge demand for his later years. As a collector it’s good and convenient, but I’m struggling to see where Warner/BBC think there’s money to be had doing this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ok, because DVD is a dead format, then?

Blu-ray is just as dead or nearly there for most folks. There's a reason most major films get a digital release 2+ weeks before physical now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That logo is absolutely fantastic and I really hope they lean into some kind of 80’s high-science weirdness for the tone. I’m tired of fantasy/fairy tale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I remember getting the first 9th Doc dvd in the mail from Netflix, binging it, and then having to wait an entire week for the next disc.

I kind of miss the old mail service and the movie queue. It made it more of an event.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Bakula was talking about wanting to do a film as recently as last year.

It would be nice if Sam got home.

Quantum Leap is a property that to me always seemed ripe for continuation or reboot. It’s basically an american Doctor Who with a built-in fanbase and original leads that have always been open to returning. For a while it was consistently in the top 10 weekly Nielsens, right alongside Cheers, Cosby Show, and Roseanne. It’s also a quasi-anthology show and that’s a growing trend for genre stuff right now. Black Mirror and the 4 or 5 imitators floating around, American Horror Story, True Detective, the upcoming Jordan Peele Twilight Zone, etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I like the idea of his mid being the central figure. Maybe trying to bring him home at lomg last.

I’ve thought about that too but his kid would be nearly as old as he is since she was born through time travel shenanigans and worked at the lab the same time he did.

Maybe his granddaughter?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Honestly it doesn't even have to be a relative. Just someone in the far future finds the accelerator and decides to save Sam.

Oh yeah, that’s definitely the obvious answer for a continuation. It allows the new show to be its own thing and still bring back Bakula/Stockwell for guest spots if they want

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to watch this once, but for some reason, Netflix has every episode but the pilot, and I was immediately very confused. I'm sure it's something you can just pick up from wherever, but I tend to watch things linearly, in order.

I don’t see it on Netflix US anymore, but Hulu has the whole series and it looks like it’s in the correct order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The other thing with a Quantum Leap reboot is the lead really should be a woman of color. I love Bakula and QL almost always handled episodes where Sam leapt into a woman or POC fairly well for the time, but there’s no way that would fly in 2018. And that’s before you even get into the inadvertent “white savior” aspect of the original show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best part of Lie of the Land is Capaldi’s tattered blue coat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Very first reply:

"Don't recall Doctor Who making a tweet in tribute to the men who made doctor who on International Men's Day??? Absolutely sexist"

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with these people? :cripes:

I've seen similar comments on almost every single Women's Day post today, no matter the page or twitter account. It's really sad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The really disappointing part of all this is how the general fan base (outside this forum, obviously) has taken all this as Eccleston attacking the show and how he’s just some diva actor whining. Check the comments on any article or twitter thread about this.

We are literally never going to get Eccleston to come back for anything at this rate :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Enough about avatars, I heard someone was talking poo poo about the McCoy years :toughguy:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know! My mystery grump has not revealed why they don't like me and I actually can't think of anyone who might be mad at the moment. It's a real head-scratcher!

e: apparently it is the first GIS result for Downs.

The answer to "who's angry enough to waste $10 on my new av?" is almost always "someone in D&D" or "someone in Games".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
just shameful if they don’t want to show Harry being attacked by a giant clam on the big screen

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

So I've just found out that the 1966 Japanese film King Kong Returns features a villain called Dr Who, who happens to look like this. Hmmmm.

I watched this a few months ago and it’s all I could think about.

As an aside, I highly recommend both King King vs Godzilla and King Kong Returns because they are astoundingly bonkers and I love them. Returns especially, the Kong suit just looks so bad and it makes every scene an absolute joy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m really digging that “floating” console

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't dislike it - it was an amusing diversion for an hour on Christmas Day but I haven't once gone back to revisit it since.

Of course I wasn't especially impressed by "The Husbands of River Song" and everybody liked it. :shrug:

Husbands felt like an extremely indulgent Moffat script that kept presenting moments where it would plead “Look how funny/clever/sweet this is! Don’t you love it?” and a shrug was the only response I could offer in return.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

No celery and no exasperated expression for 5, 3/10

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
To hell with favorites, what’s your least favorite TARDIS interior?

I hate the latter Smith/Capaldi console room. It felt cheap and claustrophobic, especially after the spacious room that debuted with Smith.

9/10’s Coral theme has probably aged the worst out of all of them, even though I liked it at the time. Now it just looks like a Farscape set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rirse posted:

Okay how is the new season of Doctor Who up for pre-order when it not even started airing yet? Are we in a Space Balls situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

It’s become increasingly common for Amazon and iTunes to put up season pass pre-orders for shows that haven’t actually premiered yet. They know it’ll air eventually, so why not offer a subscription and scoop up that cash now?

They do the same thing with digital movie pre-orders for movies that haven’t announced a home release date yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There's a local theater that plays strange and frequently obscure horror movies every friday, and my buddies and I like to go because our tastes generally line up with the tastes of the guy who programs them (except for The Baby :barf:)

I usually go in completely blind, so imagine my surprise this week when this guy yee-haws his way into the movie

Lair of the White Worm is amazing and Capaldi is the best part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujjIVoAN2Yc&t=35s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Can’t wait to see the extraordinarily racist reactions to his hiring from all the same crybabies who’ve been moaning about Jodie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Scenes from a Hat!

“If Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Doctor Who.

“We regret to inform you that tonight’s broadcast has been cancelled pending a lawsuit from Mr. Ellison for ‘turning my script into an actual episode’”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is a shot in the dark, but I’m trying to make some shelf space by condensing my Classic DW dvds into season sets and I was wondering if there was a repository of hi-res promo shots and screens somewhere? I’m trying to make covers for the new cases that keep the style of the UK dvd cases, but there doesn’t seem to be a good source for promo material other than random googling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Well, Feyde is featuring in the current DWM comic, having apparently gone a bit loopy. It’s also got this great bit of artwork for the Time War:

I didn’t know they were drawing War Doc as young John Hurt. That owns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

It was shown on screen that the Doctor started as young Hurt.

I know, I just didn’t know the comics were following suit instead of just depicting him as he appeared in the 50th special.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I think there would be a lot less nervousness regarding season 37 if we knew LITERALLY ANYTHING about it other than the Doctor's outfit and casting news. Hell, it was only a few days ago the Christmas special was indirectly confirmed!

I suspect we’ll hear quite a bit at SDCC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Doctor WhoberEats

We deliver before you even order, or your money back!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't get the food thing. She steals a guy's sausage, replaces a woman's pizza and swaps another dude's reading material when he's distracted by canteen food.

Is this some sort of play on RTD's chip's thing, or was someone just hungry?

I don’t think any of it means anything beyond “here’s some time weirdness, THE DOCTOR is coming”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched Classic Who and I have a huge backlog thanks to a couple London trips. Popped in The Two Doctors, and uh... C. Baker is not great. He’s honestly killing any enthusiasm I had to watch this, even with Troughton, Jamie, and the Spanish location shooting.

I know you’re all about to tell me how good he is in BF, but man his tv run is rough.

• Locked thread