Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Watched the latest episode of "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" and John Constantine said "Allons-y Alonso."

A man in a trenchcoat speaking French? Nah, it'll never catch on.

(Such a great episode. Such a great, goofy series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

marktheando posted:

Battlefield is great. The only bad McCoys are Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

I thought people didn't care for Delta and the Bannermen?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Those loving boots :swoon:

Not empty quoting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Fans are ruining these shows!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So, I listened to "Scherzo."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't worry! It's all downhill from here. There are a few high points (The Natural History of Fear, Faith Stealer, the Last) but it's pretty much a slog through the Divergent Universe arc.

Scherzo for its hosed-up-ness is definitely a solid example of early Big Finish's creativity and why I wish Robert Shearman would get a chance to write some more Doctor Who.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

(rhymes with Inuit in Smell)

You mean the Plan Nine from Outer Space of Big Finish?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

Pretty little satin bottoms.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

You know what? Get Sophie Aldred on the phone and make a show where Ace blows things up with some kids.

You know how you never knew you wanted something so badly, however once you hear the idea you are totally 100% on board with it?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ghost Light was mine, in which I developed my first teenage crush via Sophie Aldred only to find out that Battlefield the next week was the last episode of the show my PBS local channel was airing.

Then fifteen years later a friend of mine was visiting from out of town and we were already halfway through a bottle of port when she noticed Arc of Infinity was going to be on in a few minutes. Two bottles of port later I think I was more confused than I was during Ghost Light!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Picked up some Literature today

As an aside, I’d love to see a new version of Quantum Leap.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Since Doctor who was ruined forever

Doctor Who. :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

From everything I've ever read, downtrodden little guys who work on Hollywood blockbuster films absolutely do not give a poo poo about the artistic integrity of those films. It's something they can add to their resume to get future jobs on Hollywood blockbuster films and that's it. The key grip on Thor or the best boy on G.I. Joe are not gnashing their teeth and rending their garments over the fact that some uppity Brit said he hated working on those films.

Also I note that people keep slamming Eccleston over what he said about Thor and G.I Joe, but gloss over the fact that he also said in that same interview that he enjoyed working on Gone In Sixty Seconds (with particular praise for Nicolas Cage, who is often pointed to as the textbook example of "Hollywood actor whoring themselves out for money"). But, I guess these cherries ain't gonna pick themselves.

I miss Eccleston and would love to see him play the Doctor again however I see exactly where he's coming from and hope he's happy with whatever he's doing now.

I think in the case of GI Joe/Thor an actor/actress/crewmember is at the mercy of "production by checklist." Hit this point, hit this point, hit THIS point, and count on nostalgia/sequelitis to put butts in seats. Counting on "nostalgia" to put butts in seats is why I'm so revved up to hate Ready Player One.

Something like Gone in Sixty Seconds is just as formulaic but there's a certain amount of freedom because you're not tied to nostalgia or some sense of "if you don't touch upon this part of the franchise the whole movie sucks" or remaking some beloved classic...yes, I know Gone in Sixty Seconds is a remake, but it's not a remake of a pop-culture "classic"...so there's less pressure and I would imagine just a sense of fun and being able to stretch your wings a lot more than you could in a Disney/Marvel flick. Eccleston basically chewed the HELL out of the scenery in Gone in Sixty Seconds and probably had a blast doing so. You could say the same thing in a much less subdued manner for 28 Days Later.

Now that I think about it, this is one of the reasons I love Doctor Who. The show could coast so easily on nostalgia and dips into its own past quite a bit (any Dalek episode or something in the style of Under the Laker/Before the Flood), but you also get experimental, creative moments...some work (Blink, Midnight), some don't (Sleep No More) and sometimes you get a female Doctor. The show truly gives us the best of both worlds when it takes advantage of it.

Edit - Huh. I could probably apply most of what I just wrote to CM Punk and the current state of WWE...

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 13, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The sight of that makes me sick to my stomach!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Frankly, I'd rather hear actors talk about how much they hated working on some project that they clearly did just for the money. Nowadays everyone does the "oh I had a wonderful time on set, we were like one big family" thing, and nine times out of ten it's complete bullshit that they're basically ordered by the studio or network to spout during interviews.

Yeah, hearing Brad Pitt gush about how awesome World War Z was going to be and how much faith he had in the director AFTER the re-shoots and ending re-writes...

I'm praying that the Whitaker/Chibnall working relationship doesn't go the way of Eccleston/Davies, especially with the added scrutiny of the first female Doctor on top of it.

Of course, I say this prayer and then I hear this voice* in my head saying "What does God need with a TARDIS?"

* - for some reason the voice of God in my head is Patrick Troughton. This does not surprise me in the least.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Okay, both the Star Trek and Doctor Who threads are talking about the specifics of Eccleston leaving and making "why does God need a starship" jokes. Come on, people, I have a hard enough time keeping track as it is!

*spins around in his chair dramatically wearing an eyepatch*

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I love you and I love this post so drat much.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

But I guess the real test is if we can find someone who loves ... Mel.

Does Big Finish Mel count?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Enough about avatars, I heard someone was talking poo poo about the McCoy years :toughguy:

Don't worry, it was all part of Seven's plan.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

Oh poo poo, this means we can have a multi-Master episode with Macqueen and Gomez!

If only I could get amnesia so I could forget this and be surprised when this happens..

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Listening to "Invaders From Mars." I love how silly it is. I wish they'd gotten Maurice LaMarche to play Welles, though, because whoever they have playing him is terrible.

Big Finish just can't nail American accents.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Brave heart, thread.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

I sometimes think they only put in the awkward and contrived,"Look the name is being replaced by the dust!" bit simply so it wouldn't be a perfect audio.

That and all the continuity errors. They NEVER get the year and model of the automobile right!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Today I learned Eric Robert is an Academy Awards nominee.

For Runaway Train, which in retrospect makes sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A story where the Eighth Doctor does NOT get amnesia.

Although I always had an idea for a story where Peri's supposed background as a botanist came into play - someone is trying to come up with a workable hydroponics system for space travel but the soil he's using came from a centuries-old meteor strike...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I look at it like this - the day I die will be the day that I finally finish consuming all available Doctor Who on this planet.

And when I get to Heaven, Saint Peter will be there. "Hello Cobi. We have a high-definition viewing of The Power of the Daleks waiting for you, followed up The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

In the Forever behind the scenes, David Warner laments the end of J&L because he liked working with a pair of leading actors a decade older than he was

The entire spectrum of Doctor Who actors and actresses, main series and spin-offs, seems like one big happy family, light on the dysfunction.

I like to think it's due to the lunches Big Finish provides.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Am I the only person who really liked The Return of Doctor Mysterio?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I thought it was a fun throwback to the Silver Age...

Now, just so we can establish the baseline, where do we all stand on Vengeance on Varos?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I need to sit down and watch Withnail & I this weekend. Every time I’ve tried in the last few years something’s gotten in the way...

Plus I watched this 10-minute short film today. What the gently caress, Paul McGann???

https://vimeo.com/72592236

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To hell with favorites, what’s your least favorite TARDIS interior?

I hate the latter Smith/Capaldi console room. It felt cheap and claustrophobic, especially after the spacious room that debuted with Smith.

9/10’s Coral theme has probably aged the worst out of all of them, even though I liked it at the time. Now it just looks like a Farscape set.

Yeah, I tend to agree. And there's no wobbly bits! The wobble was the best part!

Favorite? Still the TV movie's.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Scenes from a Hat!

“If Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Doctor Who.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I don't know who Philip Madoc is. Could someone tell me some of his famous achievements?

Maybe put it on some kind of...list?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

"Get in the van. We have Adipose."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The anti-Infinity War.

Thanos snaps his fingers - 1, 3, 4, 7, War, 9, 11, 13 all disappear...

...drat it, don't make me write a fanfic.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

If they take 10, can we get 7 or War back?

DON'T MAKE ME WRITE!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

howe_sam posted:

Has everyone seen the trailer for Matt Smith's zombie movie (and Matt Smith's American accent?)

I'm definitely interested in Patient Zero for the cast - Matt Smith, Natalie Dormer, and Stanley freakin' Tucci as an intelligent infected.*

(Infected, not zombie, because the people in the movie are said to be sick with a form of super rabies and the word "zombie" implies the subject is dead/undead meaning they died sometime during the turning process and I WILL loving FIGHT YOU ON THIS ONE LIKE I DID MY WIFE FOR TWO HOURS LAST NIGHT AND I WON THAT ARGUMENT WHEN SHE RESORTED TO BEING ANTI-SEMANTIC!)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Yikes. So the 28 Days Later zombies...

I hate you and I hate the bands you like.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For me it's the ending to the second part of Tomb of the Cybermen.

"You will be like uzzzzzzzzz."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love the design, but it strikes me more as a laser screwdriver than a sonic one for some reason.

• Locked thread