Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I was a big fan of Moffat and feel he got unfairly criticized in a lot of cases (and fairly in others) but I am really looking forward to not having gigantic gaps in production because of an inability to budget appropriately.

I mean, I'm assuming Chibnal is good at that since he seemed to have a pretty tight handle on Broadchurch, anyway.

I haven't seen Broadchurch, but I'd wager that's an easier show than Who to keep on top of budget-wise given the fact it's one setting and no special effects.

As I recall, though, he also ran Torchwood for a time. And you can say a lot about that, but at least production went smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Greatest Show is such a weird, brilliant mish mash. There's a galactic circus but also Old Gods and killer robots and then a cool werewolf girl that should have been a new companion and...

Isn't this the explosion where his costume caught fire, but he kept going because he knew they wouldn't be able to do another take?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I'm only just now realizing that this is foreshadowing. And pretty clever foreshadowing, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
World Enough and Time was easily my favorite episode of the season, as much for concept as impact. There's not much to say that you didn't on the amazing setting, and the way they handled the Patients and Mr. Razor...

But something that strikes me that you didn't mention is that they somehow managed to make Bill's fate at the end of the episode both extremely preordained, and still a surprise. Basically every part of her story in the hospital is telling you what's going to happen, you know from the previews that the Cybermen are going to appear, and the only thing you've got to assure you that she'll get saved is the Doctor's (thin) promise that he'll save her. You know what the monster at the end of this book is.

...But you don't expect them to go through with it, to let that happen. It's not an in-show assurance that's keeping that true, you know the Doctor's word doesn't count for much. But surely, Moffat doesn't have the guts to do that, right? He just wouldn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jivjov posted:

That's the universe we're in now!

The Star Wars EU includes a giant pile of golden meat that's powered by Anti-Force, who eats force-sensitive people to get enough Anti-Force to go back to its home dimension. It also has healing powers, except when it kills people it's trying to heal instead for no clearly-defined reason.

This is the only use of Anti-Force, ever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

surc posted:

Eaters of Light had some dips, but it was a good episode overall with a lot of great chemistry between characters, and the Missy ending (plus I loved the crow bits because I'm a sucker for that type of thing), and with the (as you mentioned) handling of sexuality with the Romans, I don't think this is going to end up a not-remembered-episode of S10 for a lot of people. Empress of Mars felt much more like "Oh yeah that episode of Who... when was that?" to me than Eaters. :shrug:

Also, I haven't read the thread in like a year and it was very enjoyable catching up on your reviews. :)

I feel like Eaters avoids that 'I forget when that even aired' more than Empress will, but not necessarily because it's a better episode; it's just got details that place it squarely in season 10, particularly about Bill and Missy (and to a lesser extent, Nardole). Empress, there's nothing in it that reads as 'this is a story with Bill in it', I could imagine it in any season without alteration.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

Seems like the best way to do multi-Doctor stories would be to do it over again for each one. So for Day Of The Doctor you'd play it right before Rose, then between Waters Of Mars and End Of Time, then a third time in its original spot. Oh no but then all the previous ones come in for one scene and there's a Capaldi cameo, to say nothing of the Curator :psyduck:

I was going to say that at least you can narrow it down that Capaldi seemed to be alone in that cameo, but that only knocks it out of happening during the latest season, because Clara and Bill weren't travelling with him (he was always with Nardole last season, though). The Doctor's lie places it at the end of Death In Heaven, though, which specifically says it has to have taken place after that point. That places it most likely during series 9, although it could turn up almost anywhere in there.

Personally, I'd put it between The Husbands of River Song and The Return of Doctor Mysterio, but that's just gut feel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In that case, it was a good call. We really don't *need* to see Capaldi go back for that cameo during the Time War, it's okay to just know it happened at some point. He showed a remarkable amount of restraint which is honestly unlike him.

Yeah, I don't think it's important to see, or to know when, I just like speculating on the question of when exactly it might've happened on his personal timeline.

My girlfriend suggested that it might've happened before The Magician's Apprentice, on the basis that he's clearly gone through some poo poo between Last Christmas and then, but we never learn exactly what.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To hell with favorites, what’s your least favorite TARDIS interior?

I hate the latter Smith/Capaldi console room. It felt cheap and claustrophobic, especially after the spacious room that debuted with Smith.

I think it's leagues worse in Smith's tenure. Because not only is it all those things, it just feels so dark and empty. It had space, but it had nothing to do with it, all those extra levels and platforms are just... there.

It got a lot better with Capaldi, if only because they filled it with stuff, with props to play with and make it feel more lived-in. It's even more cramped, yes, but it's intentionally so. It feels a lot busier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
RTD had a bit of a thing for jokingly referencing modern pop culture in the future. He even does it in the near-future; there's a poster for a greatest hits tour by some flash-in-the-pan, already on his way out pop star in Fear Her. I always forget who, though. I always found that trend endearing, though, it's just a bit of fun.

For what's going to survive long enough to be misinterpreted by aliens: I'm going to say Daft Punk. I'm not sure how, though; they'll either be remembered as robots or cyborgs with their relics being primarily from Homework and Discovery, or they'll gently caress up the time frame and the singles from Random Access Memories will be considered a classic of the 70s.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I kind of love the idea of giving a Dalek claw arms and other gadgets. It feels like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is that teaser really intended to get people excited for the show? "The doctor regenerates pizza? This i've gotta see."

Gonna be honest, a plot device being a regenerating pizza is something I would be on board with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

So what was this? Tweet's gone, but... god drat I'm curious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

You know, I never thought about that crossover, but now it's the only one I ever want.

The Doctor's favorite would be Boyle, for his optimism and restaurant recommendations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I love stories of the people who played the Doctor interacting, and the Doctor Who Youtube channel just uploaded a real fun one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLT9BU8vQ0

Also, pointed out by the comments: she borrows the Brooklyn 99 'cool, coolcoolcoolcoolcool', because she's a huge fan. So it was probably her that got that photo to happen, and I'm slowly realizing that every single thing I learn about Jodie makes me like her more!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I don't really know how my mind went to it yesterday, but I started thinking about which single B99 character would fit the best as a guest in a Christmas episode or something.

Jake, Charles, Gina and Terry are all out because they're a little too inherently comedic, they wouldn't feel right for the 'generally serious but with some jokes' you'd need (they could totally pull it off acting-wise, especially Terry, but it'd feel weird). Amy fits right in right away, though, and Captain Holt would only be a weird fit in ways that are interesting rather than difficult.

But the real winner is Rosa, especially if she gets involved while she's off the clock. We know she acts totally differently around different groups, so introduce her under one of her nicer identities for when she's at home or something, and let the Rosa slowly come out over time. As an added bonus, she's the only one where it could reasonably be B99 canon as well, because every other character would talk immediately about the fact they fought aliens, but Rosa just wouldn't bring it up except as a weird off-handed joke about her past.

...Or, you know. Have Hitchcock and Scully save the world and nobody believe them. That'd work too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aware of every single ounce of every single problem in Twice Upon A Time, but god damnit, I just do not care because there's a love and joy to this episode that you don't see very often, in Who or even in a lot of other shows. And not even in an 'it's just fun so don't think too hard about it' way, it's just something where you can feel the love in every part of it, even if things aren't quite right or accurate (there's a way to tie this comparison into Testimony themselves, but honestly it's late and I can't quite piece it all together).

I feel like one of the best examples is one that Gatiss pointed out in the behind the scenes stuff; after his several appearances in the show, and remarkable amount of time working on it and related content, this is the only time he's ever actually gotten to play someone who travels in the TARDIS, and he really wanted to play it right despite the fact it's not really the focus. So in the background of the scene where they disembark, something you would only notice if you're rewatching and perhaps looking for it, you can see the Captain try to figure out what the hell just happened. Partly because it makes sense, but also because god damnit Gatiss just wanted to finally play out that moment.

That behind-the-scenes special also shows their original plan for the flashback to the Tenth Planet; a shot-for-shot remake instead of using more modern-day cinematic techniques. It's adorable.

I also just want to echo the feelings on Thirteen's first scene; there were a lot of ways they could've done the first moments of the first female Doctor, and so many of them would be logically valid, but the fact that she is IMMEDIATELY on board with it, with an enthusiasm and lack of hesitation that I don't think you've ever really seen from a Doctor before then, is the perfect choice. Because that tells us all that everything is okay, and for the girls watching (and hell, especially for the trans and gender diverse people watching) that there's no trepidation, this is going to be brilliant!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 30, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edward Mass posted:

I'm SO CLOSE to starting LoT. I've got three episodes of Arrow and the Flash to get through until the pilot episode.

Is there a map or timeline of some kind I can refer to for those shows? Because the only reason I haven't started watching them is because I have no idea what order to do it in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Android Blues posted:

You can just watch LoT, it's by far the best of the three shows and most of the characters' deals are explained within it anyway. You kind of pick it up from context.

Also, it's absolutely "Arthur Darvill plays the Doctor" to some extent, which is really fun.

Yeah, but Supergirl's getting a trans superhero, I've liked what I've seen of The Flash, and John Barrowman and Alex Kingston are in Arrow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

(something Moffat annoyingly forgot and kept calling them the Slitheen species)

I don't remember if they were ever explicitly stated to be a species in the Moffat era, but I always pictured them as a very big crime family. Like when the Yakuza games mention the Dojima Clan or something; yes, calling a ship 'Slitheen' is technically simplifying it, there's non-Slitheen on there, but the Slitheen family own it and are pulling the strings.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The one thing I liked about 12's sonic is that in season 10 they used it as a torch a lot and it created some really good looking lighting for some scenes.

Using the sonic as a more active prop is probably one of the nicer small things about Moffat's tenure. The shades totally count for this, of course, as does using 12's as a torch and 11's flourish to open his up.

It's something that I hope stays, because that little bit of physicality and personality counted for a lot. I'm not sure what 13 would do (I could sort of imagine her spinning it in her hand), but I don't want to see it go back to the 'problem solving laser pointer' that it was in RTD's run.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The one thing about Matt Smith's tenure that I'm still sad we didn't get was a Master to play off of. Someone that's as mad and wild as he is, just like how Simm played such a good anti-Tennant and Missy was a really great counterbalance to Capaldi.

My ideal Matt Smith Master episode would just be forty minutes of the two improvising increasingly ridiculous ways to defeat each other. Like that bit in Curse of Fatal Death, only there was no preparing whatsoever and they're both just making poo poo up.

...maybe that was the ideal time for a Matt Berry Master, I think he could pull off that sort of role opposite Smith.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" is science fiction's Wilhelm scream. Discuss.

I think the Wilhelm Scream is sci-fi's Wilhelm Scream.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd legit watch a show that's entirely just someone turning up about a day after the Doctor and just going 'okay what the gently caress' and trying their best to help people get back to normal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

The lovely thing about the timeslot move is if it loses viewers due to solely that, people will still blame Jodie and/or Chibnall.

I'm worried about what it'll do internationally. It being on Saturday night in the UK meant it could be broadcast elsewhere on Sunday night, which worked out well.

If it's on Sunday in the UK, the soonest reasonable time it can air elsewhere is Monday night, which just doesn't seem like it'll work.

EDIT: at least, speaking for Australia on this, that's where it lands. Not sure how it goes in the States and Canada.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I love this, because it's actually using the main problem of a new Doctor's first season as a strength. The first season's usually pretty rough and weird for a Doctor because the scripts have no idea who they are; there'll often be scripts written for the last Doctor specifically, or people who default to that voice, and both of those are fine if generic and occasionally a little rocky. But sometimes, as was the case of Capaldi and C. Bakes, the writers try to push a very specific idea that doesn't quite work out based on who the actor is without them actually doing any acting yet.

That last one would've definitely happened if people knew about Whittaker, leading to a whole season of people writing 'this is how the Lady Doctor should go' without anything else to really go on--and chances are you would've ended up with some wildly inconsistent ideas about that across the season. But with all the scripts being written for some generic, archetypal Doctor that everyone was likely writing as a man, we're probably in a similar situation to Matt Smith's first season, where everyone's just sort of writing 'a Doctor' which gives Whittaker a lot of room to move and define her character the way she wants. Then the next season gets written with how she played it in mind, and also it's too late to write 'here's my opinions about how Lady Doctor should go' because we already got a whole season of it not being a big deal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think, at least to start with, it works drat well to just use 'It's About Time'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Geez, guys, we don't even have the Thirteenth Doctor yet, and you're already theorizing about the fourteenth?

• Locked thread