Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

The secret commentary track on The Five Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Time And The Rani is the only McCoy story I'd hesitate to call "good" and even that at least hits the entertaining note of being the last desperate gasps of the Colin Baker years.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Davros1 posted:

Two eps ... oh wait, three eps now. They found one last year!*

*Funny little anecdote about that lost-now-found-ep "Tunnel of Fear". Apparently rumors were abound for years that a fan had an off air audio copy of "Tunnel" in his possession, but refused to allow a copy of it to be released so others could enjoy it. If it's true, it's funny as hell that his audio copy is worthless now.

I'm suddenly thankful as all hell that none of the Doctor Who fans who recorded the audio of the now-missing episodes as they aired weren't quite so selfish as this.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So there's gonna be a Blu-Ray of Season 12 (Tom Baker's first season).

Sounds pretty good on paper: you're getting no less than two all-time classics of the Baker era. Wonder how the upscale will look.

...Now do ones for the McCoy era so you can get to Season 26 so I can own these things without having to spend $150 on a Battlefield DVD :argh:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I adore that Gurren Lagann-lookin' Mechanoid and I want one.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I still maintain that Lie Of The Land is the worst of the Capaldi era; at least other infamous episodes were trying something different; Lie just feels like it's either being derivative of other concepts done better in Doctor Who or outright pointing and laughing at you.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I mean, I was none too pleased with Before The Flood because Whithouse took an interesting "gee I wonder what's going on in this story" and all but put the resolution of it in big red flashing letters at the start of the episode, such that anyone with half a brain who thought critically about this show for a solitary second could see where it was going.

Even with that, he hecked up a less interesting concept there than he did with the Monks trilogy.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Still waiting for Game of Thrones to end so we can get Jenna Coleman, Maisie Williams, and John Barrowman for Immortal Time Travelling Diner Shenanigans: The Big Finish Box Set.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Five's era is one of my lesser liked of Classic Who (I'll make exceptions for the two Mara stories, the first episode of Earthshock, The Five Doctors, and Cave Of Androzani though) and I love all of Seven. All of it. Even Time And The Rani, which at least hits the notes of "so bad it's good" and "utterly ridiculously 80's" enough to be a laugh and a half.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Forget "but what about Trenzalore", if that angry mop man is supposed to be Capaldi, that's The Caretaker. How the hell is Clive getting a photo from nine years into the future?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
A story in which we bring back the Sensorites and the Rani, and also explain UNIT dating, by Rian Blevine.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Doctor Who fans: Hard to please, but at least they're not Star Wars fans.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Hello there Amazon this better not be a fake.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I have the DVD with the special feature this is mentioned on, and the way they lead into this story with their editing is hilarious. Clayton Hickman comes on and starts talking about the DWM photo of David Burton's car, but with no knowledge of how the man got it. He then says something along the lines of "If you can get David Burton to sit down and tell the story of how he got that car, I'd pay a million dollars for that DVD".

Cut to David Burton explaining how he got that car.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Forktoss posted:

Which DVD is it on? I assumed it would be most closely related to Survival or the TV Movie, but I don't think it's either of them.

IIRC, Inferno Special Edition.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I forget what the Nekro one does but isn't it by Mr. Misery himself, Joseph Lidster?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Maybe this is more going against bitter 80's Doctor Who fandom than the general consensus of the thread, but I adore The Underwater Menace and I'll hold it up as a bizarre example of Gonzo Troughton until the end of time. It's just so goddamned weird that I can't help but adore it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Zaroff posted:

The Underwater Menace is fantastic and probably my favourite Who story of all

This is the greatest username/avatar/quote combination that could have possibly arisen from this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Huh, what was wrong with them? I got mine on release and it all seemed to work fine.

• Locked thread