Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of Big Finish, they recently had a discount clearout of some older stock:
Got myself the complete Sarah Jane Smith range:

I miss Liz Sladen. :smith:

This - which is hopefully going to be either fantastically great, or fantastically awful based soley on the title:

I hope, anyway :v:

And some Benny Summerfield:

Because, holy gently caress, is it too expensive to get hold of some of them second hand online, and I've never ever seen any of them in the wild - did once see a near complete collection of Target Books when I was younger, but couldn't afford them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

misadventurous posted:

The worst thing about Minuet is that it teases McGann's Doctor and the Brig meeting the whole story and when they properly do it's only for like 5 seconds because oops, Eight Has Amnesia Again.

I loved Scherzo for how perfectly suited it is for audio (and Paul's silky smooth readings of the short story at the beginning of each episode) but it's a really weird one. There were a couple other neat stories in that arc (Natural History of Fear has a cool twist that also only works because of the medium; Faith Stealer has, uhh, any fun dialogue or characters whatsoever) but otherwise it's a series of very tedious, forgettable stories (and one unforgettable Phillip Martin trainwreck)

The Divergent Universe arc just feels really underdeveloped. It's a strong beginning promising the weirdness of a universe where the concept of time is borked...but then a load of stories which are either very conventional Doctor Who stories, or could very easily be turned into a coventional story with very miniscule tweaks.

Everytime I revist the Eighth Doctor stuff, it always seems like this massive hurdle that it doesn't really shake it off until the EDAs.

Unrelated, Gallifrey: Time War was released today. I enjoyed it overall, although I can understand people not enjoying it. I've stuck my thoughts behind the SSLP tester. It's got spoilers, just to make people aware.

Spoilers! :siren: Gallifrey: Time War :siren: Spoilers!

no pretty little satin bottoms in here i'm afraid.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rhyno posted:

Watching some "classic" revival series, the New Dimension special that aired just before Rose. And it's narrated by David Tennant! Paying close attention, there's scenes from the finale cut in here, specifically the regeneration scene. Kind of neat to see at this point. Oh and Matt Lucas is in the audience!

It's always interesting to see the lead up into Rose. Like, I remember at the time there was a big public interest in seeing Doctor Who actually appearing again, on television, and a sort of excitment about it all. Especially with Billie Piper as the companion.

I remember the massive hype when it aired, and watching it with my sister to see what all the fuss was about (I'd watched the movie - not really knowing what it was - and seen an edited-down version of Pyramids of Mars, the 40th Anniversary documentary, and had the general Doctor Who knowledge that exists in in the UK pop culture collective consciouness).

I just remember being really really thrilled.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Whoa, so The Celestial Toymaker is more racist than I thought. That Ruined Forever list taught me something.

Yeah, in later releases they obscure the slur (or try to, anyway). Still the big problem of the Celestial Toymaker though.

[e]: Yeah, when they've reused the character, that's the meaning they've shifted to. When I first heard about the character, that's also what I thought they were referring too - it's a god-like entity who dresses as a mandarin for quirks, I guess - only later was it a "oh, that's why he's dressed as a mandarin...oh".
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Tales From New Earth is out today from Big Finish. I'd love a goon-pinion on this one...first New Series-related boxset I haven't preordered.

I'll give it a go when I get paid next, just to give it a try.

From the description though, it's leaning heavily on the Doctor being in two of the episodes - but not actually starring Tennant, seeming to be in those companion chronicle style "And then a man appeared and said he was the Doctor, "We've got to do this", said the Doctor" - which is always a bit odd when there's otherwise a full cast.

I dunno, I'll see how the adventures of rando and catlady go, or if they do anything interesting with it. Or if it just ends up being another Graceless, or Vienna.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Did they get the guy that's the 10-soundalike that they're using for the Chronicles release?

Not by the looks of it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

This sounds interesting, what was it?

So did I! I hope that was clear in my write-up!

Excelis.

Short version, medieval-era Anthony Head meets with the fifth Doctor to find a container that contains all the souls of the dead of the planet (the planet/region's name being Excelis) - or where it goes after they die. Also Iris Wildthyme is there and Five gets very very grumpy at her. Hijinks ensue.

Spoilers Anthony Head becomes sort of semi-immortal for plot reasons, and meets up with Sixie hundreds of years later in a psuedo-Victorian age, where he can conjure up the spirits of the dead as a spiritualist medium. More hijinks.

Finally, in an 1984-esque Orwellian society, Anthony Head has moulded it into a dictatorship, and Seven stops him

And then earlier plotwise, but sorta the last story, Benny Summerfield bumps into Iris Wildthyme and hijinks ensue.

I didn't realise that was the same time as Buffy, he must have been a catch, indeed. He's also hilarious in Bleak Expectations - the surreal Dickens parodies - as Gently Benevolent - who is "ironically, a complete bastard".

Good write up on Extremis by the way. I've always enjoyed yours (and Cobi's, and others) interpretations, analyses and breakdowns. :)
I was ambivalent on watching it the first time, trying to assess where it was going - it was a lot stronger on repeat however.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 7, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

I love Japanese Doctor Who :allears:

I still love Dalek-chan. :allears:

From what I can make out it's "The Dalek Chronicles - Vworp Vworp [something] of lethal metal".
It's a promotion for Vworp magazine. Kinda neat they've made an audio with David Graham (Parker from Thunderbirds). Shame they seem to be out of stock :negative:

[e]: Apparently not that much of a bother, as it's only a 16 minute long audio. £10 for 16 minutes? No thank you.

Bicyclops posted:

Excelis is, overall, fairly mediocre, but you have to admire its will to totally try something strange. The two high points are Anthony Head's acting and the fairly somber conversation Five has with Iris about regeneration.

Yeah, it's an odd listen. But there's still some good character parts across the miniseries, like you say.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 8, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm not interested until we get Wilf's Adventures. :colbert:

While I'm not particularly interested, they might do something different or a neat concept with the character. Alternatively it might end up being one of the many bland spin-offs that no-one gives a gently caress about, yet somehow they keep making boxsets for it. *cough Vienna*

Ah well, see how it goes...still going to give that New Earth a try.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

"Tell me, why do they call you the Master?"
"...I'll explain later"
*Maniacal Laughter/Logopolis Theme*

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 16, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have some bad news about the new intro for the show

https://twitter.com/LFCNev/status/975403198558154753

Some NWS low-hanging fruit (which works as a euphemism) :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Edward Mass posted:

I’ve never watched an episode of TNG on purpose.

Everytime I catch a random episode of TNG, it always feels like a televised fever dream for some reason.

[e]: Well, that goes without saying :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

no baby wants to be beige

B...but I like beige

That's cute as gently caress, and apparently Baby Baker was Baby Beige the day before:
https://twitter.com/GreenEyedPoet83/status/978007398152654848

:3:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Is there normally such a delay for the soundtracks? Or is it licensing shenanigans?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thanks you two, just was curious. :)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Holy poo poo Bicyclops I've just noticed your new AV.

That's amazing :allears:

"Carrot juice!?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
BF has released the cover artwork for that Lady Chirstina audio coming out:

Probably not the most flattering picture of Michelle Ryan they could have chosen...so we've got Sylvia Noble to look forward to (I like Jacqueline King, and it depends if it's snooty Sylvia, or post Journey's End Sylvia), Sam Bishop (crossover from their new UNIT series), Sontarans, which BF usually find something interesting to do with, and...Slitheen.

The farting. Can't you hear it? I thought it would stop, but it never does. Never, ever stops. Inside my head. The farting, Doctor. The constant farting.

[e]: Yeah apparently him in a UNIT cameo.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 4, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

docbeard posted:

I'm impressed. Everyone on that cover looks faintly disgusted at the prospect of being there.

Warren Brown is all "No! I've got to escape this boxset!", but they're literally trying to hook him back in.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

Did anyone want the Slitheen back? Anyone? Why??

Big Finish have an entire soundboard of fart sounds they've never ever used, and decided that, now, this would be the boxset to use them on.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

After The War posted:

Grabbed, but the fact that its by Paul Magrs (the only person to write an audio I couldn't finish) doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks for the link, though!

I got the first two, and it was a struggle to get through them. It's not the acting, or the voice work, or the SFX, it's the writing - it feels very clunky.

I wouldn't say Magrs is a bad writer (though he has written some poor ones), but most of what he writes always feels very stodgy - if that makes any sense.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pssht. They're too busy rehabilitating Class.

(no joke, the cast just uploaded pictures of them recording on Instagram)

Christ.

I think, sometimes, some things should just stay dead. I know that BF has a stable of talented writers who could do interesting things with the series, but sometimes you've got to ask, "Is there really an audience for this?". Class died on its arse - I don't doubt that BF could do something with it - but do they have the right? Simply not touching the "record button" and that's it. Class ceases to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace, and never even know the show, "Class".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Which was the worst NuWho spinoff: Class, or that Aussie thing with K-9

(Sarah Jane Adventures was fine if not my cup of tea, and Torchwood exists in its' own dimension of terribleness, so I didn't list them)

I honestly found Class to be worse, though it's not really fair to compare the two, as they're both naff in their own ways.

K9 was the SJA, but cheaper and a lot more low grade and with less of a direct connection to Doctor Who (usual Who licensing fun not allowing them to reference specific things, but oblique mentions). It's mostly just unremarkable sci-fi aimed at a young audience...just it's got the robot dog from Doctor Who in it. Oh, and I suppose the main theme is actually pretty good.

It's also more unstandable them using K9 to try to cash in on Doctor Who; Torchwood, and SJA were spinoffs of popular characters that were in the main series, but with a particular style and audience in mind - Torchwood was an attempt at Welsh X-files for horny teenagers, and SJA was Doctor Who but for a younger audience. It made sense for them to try to copy the SJA formula.

And it made sense at the time as well; that was pretty much at the height of RTD's run of Who.

Class's problems are myriad. A very, very tenuous link to the main show - yet unable to strike out and be it's own thing. They clearly had no clue who the intended audience was, sitting on that narrow fence of too juvenile for older teens, but too mature for younger audiences. The flat characters, the bad writing, and the tedious teen drama.

Like, when Capaldi appears in the TARDIS in that one episode, I should be going "Oh neat, a cameo", not "...oh yeah, this is a Doctor Who spin-off...and I've been in a coma for the last 50 minutes...SAVE ME CAPALDI!"

It's not the worst thing ever, but it's just kinda pointless. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure that Bob Baker has been living in a cat-like state of readiness since the early 80s waiting for even the barest sign of a renewed popularity in K9 so he could immediately try and sell it as a show in its own right.

I'm pretty sure he's still edging with that K9 TIMEQUAKE film he's been threatening everyone with. The one that was meant to come out last year, and has been stuck in purgatory with zero info. Omega vs the tin dog, as Baker also has the rights to Omega.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's been a pretty short announcement-to-release turnaround with formal details only being given in January and the first set coming out tomorrow (e: out just now, actually), yeah. But even before we knew what Ravenous was actually going to be they had said that they were going to be doing a more direct Doom Coalition followup alongside the Time War stuff. And with the McGann Time War sets apparently going to annual releases after the second one, it seems like Ravenous is going to be the "main" Eighth line for the time being.

It makes sense, as they want to continue to do stuff with McGann, and not tie him to permanent Time War stuff, which is the end point of his run (I know they can drag it out and jump all over the time line as they do with the other Docs, but eh).

I must admit, because I'm so used to McGann's stuff being presented in a (mostly) linear run, it was a bit of a "wait wait wait where are we know, ah right" when I started listening to his Time War stuff, immediately coming after Doom Coalition.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's my thoughts on Ravenous.
As usual I'll stick it behind a SSLP link. :siren: Spoilers!:siren:

Short version, I was kinda disappointed and thought it took too long to get to the interesting parts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chokes McGee posted:

Wait back the poo poo up. They have The Prisoner audios?!

That would be telling.

Seriously though, listen to them - they're loving great.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

You won’t get it.

By hook or by crook, he will.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Who are you!?! :tinfoil:

Hahahahahaha!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

I think that's debatable wrt Colin Baker. Also imo McCoy is awesome in both

They should try Vengeance on Varos. Many say it's a classic!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gynovore posted:

So I finally picked up Who On Earth is Tom Baker, and... it's not too bad. It's well written, with quite a bit of detail, so if you ever wondered what growing up poor in London in the 50's and 60's was like, you'll love this. Fortunately for our sanity, after the Rosie Ball episode, Baker puts his 'prick' back in his pants and keeps it there the rest of the book.

Nevertheless, as a behind-the-scenes look at Doctor Who, it's a disappointment. At best one-fourth of the book covers his '74-'81 run on the show, and that's being generous. In addition, his choices of what to cover and what to omit were a bit... odd. In particular; Lalla Ward, whom he starred with for 1.5 years and later married, got maybe five sentences. Some of the trivia is interesting; for example, Liz Sladen was almost killed during the shooting of Revenge of the Cybermen. Still, I wouldn't really recommend Who On Earth is Tom Baker unless you simply must read every last bit of Doctor Who information ever.

To be fair, it's about him, more than it is Doctor Who - it's a big factor in his life certainly - the biggest in terms of what he's going to be remembered as, and what's he's done professionally - but in terms of what he wants to talk about in regards to his life, there's other things outside the TARDIS.

I'm guessing him glossing over his marriage with Lalla Ward is more diplomatic than anything; Ward has said variously that they drifted apart, or that it was irreconcilable differences. I know he's mellowed somewhat over the years, according to the various actors who've worked with him since.

Davison's book wasn't too disimilar - some trivia, but mostly glossed over Doctor Who, because all the juicy behind the scenes info is in another book somewhere, and for the actors, it's just one of many jobs - one we care about, yeah, but still just a part of the bigger narrative of their lives, when they write autobiographies.

Davison had one kinda funny trivia moment IIRC, discussing where he had to fist a cow - as part of his role as a vet on All Creatures Great and Small - no latex gloves allowed as it was a period piece.

:allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 30, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ahahaha best loving news: Big Finish are doing a River Song set featuring the Master -- as played by Geoffrey Beevers, Michelle Gomez, Derek Jacobi and Eric Roberts. Beautiful.

Hahaha very funny, raising my hopes like that-WAIT IT'S loving TRUE! :aaaaa:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

docbeard posted:

I'm reasonably confident that Anthony Ainley faked his death and is hanging around in a cheesy, quite probably racist disguise as the Big Finish groundskeeper or something.
"That Tony the soundman's a very jolly fellow - always laughing all the time"

I've never had much of a problem with Adric - he tends to be an obnoxious know-it-all, socially maladjusted, and rountinely betrays the Doctor for flimsy reasons - but that's a general problem with the writing more than anything. And he's nowhere near given the episode focus that Star Trek gave to Wesley Crusher (a similar wunderkind) in some of their earlier episodes.

Big Finish does what it usually does with characters, and develops Adric a bit more, and smooths over some of the more rougher patches. They did have what I'd consider a massive mistep in one of their earlier stories though, The Boy That Time Forgot - in service of having a character who's "Adric, but with practically zero redeeming features".

In the post-Adric Fifth Doctor audios, they also focus on the fallout of his death more often, rather than Time-flight's shockingly abrupt - "well he's dead, time to move on" (that's not really a criticism - that's looking at it through the perspective of what a current day audience would expect to happen), and the pre-Earthshock audios with Waterhouse are pretty okay - Adric's not bad in those.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Since Big Finish launched an Eighth Doctor sale on the day I get paid, I just bought all four DARK EYES sets. How is it? And how much will it hurt the experience if I haven't listened to all of The Eighth Doctor Adventures?

Dark Eyes was written just before they got access to the New Series, and the Time War stuff, so it was basically them edging as close as they possibly could to hint at the future Time War without actually saying "Time War" (and also without the knowledge of the whole War Doctor thing).

I have a fondness for them; Dark Eyes 1 is the most consistent in quality, and the rest fluctuate between boxsets, but there's good moments in all of them.

As Davros1 says, you do kind of have to know the mindset the Doctor's in at the start, it's not strictly necessary, though recommended you check out the EDAs at some point because there's some pretty great stories in there, and they do form an overall set of story arcs.

If you need the absolute essentials, probably An Earthly Child (sets up the Doctor's reunion with Susan) , Relative Dimensions (Lucie "Bleedin'" Miller - the companion, decides to take a break from the Doctor on Earth), Prisoner of the Sun, Lucie Miller, and To the Death all lead in to each other.

That said, the Dark Eyes series explains enough that you're not going to be left too in the dark, and doesn't dwell too much on the EDA stuff.

Bicyclops posted:

Jesus, I am seven and a half year behind on Big Finish. I am literally never going to catch up, which, I guess, means that I will literally always have more Doctor Who.

I keep on top of the monthlies, the Eighth Doctor stories, the Fourth Doctor stories and the occasional interest-catching special (Gallfrey, Benny Summerfield, War Master, UNIT, etc)...and still can't catch up because there's always something new! :haw:

Astroman posted:

:same:

Best time ever to be a Who fan!

Hells yeah!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

I did get the next J&L on sale (I'm up to like S8 now) but I also dipped into River Song today.

She's kinda a No Fun Nancy at least in her first few eps, eh? "Woe is me, I must suffer and I can never cry!"

Coming from someone who really didn't like River in the tv series, I feel she gets better in the audios as it goes along. (Also thought she was great in Doom Coalition) But I remember thinking she was oddly stilited in her first few episodes - she does loosen up though - the last boxset she was in I had a blast.

Speaking of, I finally got around to listening to UNIT: Cyber Reality - I like their take on the cyberman voices - they purposefully tried a weird amalgamation of the 80s style tone, the 60s sing-song pitch, and the current series filter. It's kinda neat.

The one problem I have is that the threat of the cybermen completely dissipates when the Master shows up, because he's such a force of nature. But enjoyable, nonetheless, and it's nice to see Kate and UNIT not acting like complete idiots.

I'm undecided on the latest monthly one; Lure of the Nomad. Spoilers ahead the twist that the companion is actually the antagonist, and has been since before the start of the story, and it's not mind control, or a ploy, but an honest-to-god attempt to manipulate events (and the Doctor) to their advantage is neat, but I'm conflicted if it would have had more impact had we had a few stories with the companion first, or if it's fine and works as a one-and-done with the audience expecting more adventures with the new companion, only for it to abruptly come to a stop after he murders someone, and then admits to the Doctor that everything was actually part of their plan.

Am curious what all you think? If it works better as a one-and-done, or would have been better serviced over multiple stories.

Also, completely forgot, as much as I like the new logo, it was a pleasant surprise to see them use the period appropriate logos and fonts as an alternative option.

Davros1 posted:

Davros did the same in "Davros"

"The Doctor is a known saboteur! He is our enemy! HE MUST BE E-*chokes*... incarcerated".

God I love, Davros.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chokes McGee posted:

VNA isn't show canon AFAIK and I have no idea what happened in the audios so :shrug:

In Gallifrey she says she was dropped off by the Doctor for their Time Lord academy thing - under circumstances she can't clearly remember.
And then Braxiatel mind wipes her, and drops her off on Earth at the start of the Time War.

I don't believe there's been an audio with an official official "Thanks Proffessor, I'm off" send off.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only canon thing in Dr Who is Dimensions in Time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The Hour of the Cybermen is out now, with the David Banks and the 80's cybermen.

Excellent.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That's sad. That's no loving age. :smith:

Jerusalem posted:

No photos of those awesome loving boots though :smith:

https://twitter.com/thetimeladies_/status/1017695805225029637

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know you’re all about to tell me how good he is in BF, but man his tv run is rough.

He was dealt a bum hand in his tv run.

They did attempt to rectify his character post-hiatus, during Trial of a Timelord, but those serials have enough problems of their own - but they did tone down the dickish factor.

(Also, yes, he's really good in BF :sweatdrop:)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bessantj posted:

I'm going through the Matt Smith run and I don't remember disliking Clara Oswald. Did she have a bad introduction I don't remember or was she always a bit bad? I think Jenna Coleman is a very good actor.

She's not bad - the character is just very inconsistent between the series.

With Smith, she's "Generic Aimiable Companion "The Impossible Girl" walking puzzle box".

When she's got that friction with with Capaldi, and they actually, you know, decided to give her a character, she gets a lot better.

That's not meant as a slight on Jenna Coleman, either, she's really good in the role - it's just the writing is all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Clearly the Tom Waxwork which has gained sentience.

• Locked thread