Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Personally I'm a big fan of how he just starts off by saying "i attended wanking lessons" like its nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, this is interesting.

A little more info. I'm not sure why this wouldn't just be a new DVD set since almost everything was shot on video. I guess it might be convenient for Region 1 folks since I'm fairly sure some of these are out of print. :shrug:

I don't believe it just because it's way too cheap, a Region 1 BBC Blu-ray should at least be $20 per episode

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The reason the autograph fees are so high for the bigger cons is that all the big name guests have guarantees, where the con says "you are guaranteed to make X amount of money through sales and the con will make up the difference if you don't", which is also why they have handlers/ con staff sitting next to them that are really strict about it

So what you do is go by their table on Sunday afternoon after theyve made their $$$ and the handler is gone because some of them will just start handing out free poo poo after that (my wife got Richard Hatch's autograph that way unintentionally)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I seriously want RTD to do a podcast where he talks about Who every week.

Toby Hadoke has a podcast on Big Finish's website called "Who's Round" and he's got an interview with RTD that's split into 4 parts because it's so long, it rules

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I started watching right around when series 3 was airing and the only way i knew how to watch it in the US was on lovely korean tube sites. I remember enjoying series 1 but wishing that the tube site hadn't made it look all hazy and lovely

then i watched it on dvd years later and found out that's just how it looks

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

My first exposure to Doctor Who was buying "City of Death" on DVD in like 2006 because i was a big Douglas Adams fan. I remember watching it once and thinking it was all right but it didn't do a whole lot for me overall.

Not long afterward i watched Coupling on BBC America and found out the guy who wrote it (some guy named Steve) had a new show out called Jekyll. Once that was over i saw he had written a couple of episodes of Doctor Who, so i watched "Girl in the Fireplace" and the newly-released "Blink" back to back. Been hooked ever since

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Agreed that the revival's scores should sound more like the Sea Devils and hopefully whoever is taking over for Murray Gold realizes this

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

There are several R1 discs i'd like to have that are out of print now but i still refuse to buy the R2 discs out of principle (literally the only reason the different disc regions exist is so that whoever's making them can sell them for different prices in different markets, if they dont want my money then i'm not giving it to them :colbert: )

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i like big finish but having not one but TWO boxsets where winston churchill rants about how disgusting indians are was an odd choice

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

One of the downsides of watching the classic series in order is that UNIT really wear out their welcome over however many seasons Pertwee has (4? 5?)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Flip bringing the good Content

https://twitter.com/Lisagreenwood20/status/977616770466009089

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

maybe that would have led to an alternate universe where the star wars eu wasn't garbage

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Awesome thread, Uses 13's logo in the first eight Doctors credit sequences:

https://twitter.com/HjRobins/status/990193025505742849

I wasn't sure about it at first because it looks out of place for the first 3 but yeah Tom's era and afterward it totally works

On a related note:
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeSkaro/status/989920485000400896

apparently this "director's cut" is only 90 minutes, is this a new thing or has it been around for a while?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve got a kernel about 8 returning to New Orleans, but because he’s had so much amnesia, he doesn’t remember the first time with Anji & Fitz, but he keeps running into people who know him.

sounds like my first year of university tbh

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

It's the Doctor's birthday today, and he's 2000!
That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!
*every character from every Doctor Who game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

"The Light at the End" (2013)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Finish have been going since 1999 and not ONCE have we gotten Baker vs Blessed. Shameful

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I passed Terry Molloy in the hall at a convention once and I asked "are the big finish lunches as good as everyone says?" and he just went "oh GOD yes" and kept going

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

Telling Nick Briggs, while he signed it, that I had fried mine was one of the saddest moments of my life. The local shop... said they couldn't fix it! :negative:

I'd already had the mini version for a while, which he seemed unfamiliar with, and it's been a permanent part of my guitar rig. I should send the full-size one off to Moog to see if they can do anything with it... wonder if they'll understand the signature.

the Moog "factory" (more like a workshop, really) does facility tours twice a day, and i told the guy leading the tour that "the guy who does the Dalek voices in Doctor Who uses one of these". his response was "uhh that's cool, i don't know what that is"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mugabe's old news dude

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

drat if only I hadn't already bought series 8

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

If they're still going in 2025 they'll have been making Doctor Who stories for as long as the classic series was active

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

large adult baby cries some more, more at 11

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

He ain't Bear McCreary but I'll take him!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Someone in the reddit thread said Akinola leans more towards minimalism so if he ends up being the Philip Glass to Murray Gold's John Williams then he's gonna loving whip rear end at this job

Also he tweeted a pic of the Rite of Spring score the other day :getin:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 27, 2018

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's the guy that owns the studio where they record but I could be remembering incorrectly

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

even the bad stories have good commentary tracks so the dvds are still good

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

me seeing the first Big Finish covers with the new logo: "oh wow this actually looks better, it frees up so much space! can't wait to see what they come up with next!"

one month later:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

It's a baby Zarbi and she yanked all the legs off, pretty disgusting if you ask me

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Whereas John B. Arrowman is almost in too much.

just like doctor who!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

All Doctor Who after 1965, regardless of format, is fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

man, I wanna get into the Big Finish Doctor Who stuff but it looks like there's a massive amount of stuff and I am a very poor man

a ton of the older stories are on Spotify, although i think you still have to search "doctor who" instead of "big finish" for whatever reason

• Locked thread