Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

The movie one with Paul McGann, Nick Briggs and (?) Sylvester McCoy. Home of McGann's, "Oh, look. Are those stairs going to light up when he steps on them?" quip when Eric Roberts announces that he likes to drezzzzz for the occasion.

The companion one from "The Five Doctors" with Janet Fielding, Carole Ann Ford, Nicholas Courtney and (?) Mark Strickland where they all join in on the mind probe line is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Those two Tom Baker calls were brilliant, and exactly what my cold, dead heart needed after the last few days. Thank you.

My favourite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

See, I don’t know if Remembrance is a good jumping on point, seeing how much it depends on continuity. It’s literally a 25th anniversary story (far more than Silver Nemesis was). I’d suggest maybe Curse of Fenric?

It was the first classic story I ever watched in its entirety and I thought it was great, but I was about 10 at the time and thought the Daleks were cool so continuity wasn't a consideration to me.

I think the best sampler of every classic Doctor is still the original eight dvds the BBC released back in 2001 (with one exception):

1. "The Aztecs"
2. "Tomb of the Cybermen"
3. "Spearhead from Space"
4. "The Robots of Death"
5. "Caves of Androzani" (this is the one I would change, since it's Davison's last story - I'd substitute it for "The Visitation")
6. "Vengeance On Varos"
7. "Remembrance of the Daleks"
8. The Movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It's getting worse because now the cons have to deal with agencies that directly negotiate the appearance fees. So there's basically a middle man now and you're paying those fees as well.

I believe Amell set up his own agency to manage his own con appearances (and those of his friends) to cut out the middleman, didn't he? I think it was in that "garbage bags full of twenties" article from a while ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Yes, on top of having cannibal witches, attempted sexual assault, space madness and a plot structure that's literally The Caves of Androzani with different names, Nekromanteia also has a subplot where the Doctor gets sucked into an alternate dimension to watch people play cricket.)

You forgot that the attempted rapist gets the happiest ending.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

He should've known better than to hire Liam Byrne.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My experience of Doctor Who was via the DVDs and some of the BBC Books novels. My main point of confusion about "Rose" and the revival in general was why each story was only one episode instead of four.

Seriously, I watched little to no "current" TV other than cartoons (who remembers Fillmore! on the Disney Channel?) and Dead Ringers in 2005.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the first Doctor Who I saw was Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD when it was on TV. I remember because I had to go to the Boys' Brigade display that evening so I didn't get seeing the end of it.

I'm not sure what the first episode proper I saw was, though. I think it must have been "Remembrance of the Daleks" because that was the first dvd I got, then "The Five Doctors" would have been second (the second ever Doctor Who thing I was into was the John Peel novel War of the Daleks - I was probably too young for it at the time though I eventually went back and re-read it).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember about 10 years ago there was a Bionic Woman reboot starring Michelle Ryan which lasted about four episodes? I never saw it but I found the script for the pilot and it really seemed like an obvious thing to have another go at. Maybe it turned out rubbish. I don't know.

I remain curious about the Shane Black/Fred Dekker reboot of The Avengers I've heard about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

They’ll have to call it something other than The Avengers, I’d imagine.

"Steed and Peel" or something like that (everyone forgets that Honor Blackman was the co-star for a couple of years before Diana Rigg showed up).

Rhyno posted:

This reminds me how adamant my coworker was that Marvel would be hosed when the time came to title the first Avengers film. And holy poo poo was he angry when proven wrong. Like, 5 years later he was still being a bitch about it.

In the UK it was officially called Avengers Assemble entirely because of the movie with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman from 20 years ago.

Frankly if Black and Dekker were going to reboot something, it should be A Nero Wolfe Mystery with Robbie Amell as Archie and Chi McBride as Wolfe. :allears:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Nero Wolfe, but modern day is an idea that works almost too well.

Wolfe and Archie are literally timeless characters, inasmuch as time passed in the novels but they never aged; Wolfe and Archie were the same people in 1975 (when Stout's last Nero Wolfe story was published) that they were in 1934 (when he started the series). There were some continuation novels written and set in the 1980s and the only thing that really changed was that Archie kept the germination records for Wolfe's orchids on his PC rather than in a filing cabinet. :D

I joked a while ago that this "Sherlock-style Dracula series" Moffat and Gatiss reportedly want to do will be set in 201X, star Alexander Vlahos as Dracula and be called Drac. Well, imagine Moffat and Gatiss doing a Nero Wolfe series: Wolfe would be played by Jamie Dornan, he'd always talk about how he used to be obese, and Archie would be played by Lara Pulver, except she'd cry all the time because Wolfe doesn't love her back. :barf:

Edit: I apologise for this derail; Nero Wolfe is my favourite detective series. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Everyone forgets that Steed was the sidekick for the first season to another guy, Dr Keel. Honor Blackman didn’t show up till season 2.

Oh, absolutely, but it's slightly more justified in that case because I'm pretty sure the entire first season is a lost show except for maybe one episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narsham posted:

Yes, Nero Wolfe is a great idea. There's multiple stories that I read and swore I'd seen on the TV show, only to discover that I hadn't. Chi has the chops for Wolfe, but if we take A Right to Die seriously, we need to cast a black man as Archie, too.

Is that the one where Wolfe says something like, "If I were a black man, Mr Goodwin would have to be as well," and the inference is that Archie is actually Wolfe's son?

quote:

William Jackson Harper, maybe? Might be too old, especially given that McBride's a bit young for Wolfe. And I don't know how you top Colin Fox as Fritz.

Chi McBride right now is actually the exact age (56) that Stout always gave as Wolfe's in the novels. :eng101:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narsham posted:

Right, although the inference being made is open to several interpretations and I think that "Archie is Wolfe's son" is one of the least plausible. Wolfe has some odd ideas sometimes about propriety. Also, I obviously did my math on McBride's age wrongly.

It's not as good as the theory that Nero Wolfe is actually the son of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler, which is based largely on the fact that the vowels in "Sherlock Holmes" and "Nero Wolfe" come in the same order. :D

Speaking of grumpy fans, does anyone remember when translator/localiser/artist Paul "Otaking" Johnson produced a YouTube video about 10 years ago about Old Who vs New Who which argued that Old Who was better because it had violence and death and New Who was bad because it had "love" and "emotions"? Ahead of its time, I tell you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I see "Extremis" I'm reminded of that early Big Finish pseudo-spin-off with Tony Head (which must have been made when Buffy was still going so he would've been a pretty big get).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For International Women's Day, Big Finish is offering a free episode of their new non-science-fiction drama series ATA Girl, which was created by Louise Jameson and is about the female pilots of the Air Transport Auxiliary service during the Second World War.

I haven't listened to it. Maybe the thread would be interested.

Link: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/ata-girl-free-episode

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I think either Peter Harness has zero idea how soldiers operate, or he loving hates soldiers and is deliberately writing them as the dumbest morons in the universe.

The Second World War would have been much easier if we could've just got a shape-changing alien pretending to be Hitler's mum on our side.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

It seems a lot like there were three unrelated episode ideas that were folded into one story arc and handled by three different writers. It could probably have actually worked, if they didn't get that terrible writer whose name I forget to write part 3

E: Toby Whithouse, that's the one

Toby Whithouse has written good episodes of Doctor Who other than "The Lie of the Land" ("School Reunion", "The God Complex" et al.).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that, before Eric Roberts was cast, actors considered for the role of the Master in the TV movie included Tom Selleck, Sting and Phil Collins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's too bad David Bowie never got to be in Doctor Who.

Was apparently considered for Sharaz Jek in "The Caves of Androzani".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

I'm super shocked MeToo hasn't hit Rock and Roll yet.

The near-complete post-mortem rehabilitation of Michael Jackson is odd to think about in retrospect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Jago and Litefoot were much more substantial characters in "Talons" (probably because it had six episodes) than Lady Christina was in "Planet of the Dead".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:colbert: "Stop flirting."
:v: "I was just saying hello!"
:colbert: "For you that's flirting."

Jack first appeared in "The Empty Child". Does that mean he was created by Moffat? Or did RTD create him and Moffat just wrote his first appearance?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing Jenny back to life and flying off to have adventures of her own at the end was Steven Moffat's idea, and I'm surprised he never tried to have her back (even if she wasn't necessarily played by Georgia Moffett).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which Troughton was in "Last Christmas"?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

time_crash_spandau_ballet_true.mp4

Always in time, but never around for dreams.

(Gary Kemp was in the "if it sounds good when Tony's singing it, it doesn't have to make much sense" school of lyricists.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

I watched Shada for the first time last night (the latest version). It was great, despite already knowing a lot of the plot from Dirk Gently. I hadn’t realised there was as much footage as there is, I had assumed it was like the other reconstructed stories, which are largely unwatchable IMO. But no Shada is extremely watchable and the animation does the job ok.

Release the Levine cut, Beeb! :qq::qq::qq:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I suppose Bill might remember that time she and everyone else on Earth turned into John Major for a day and a night

I remember that episode.

"The Greytest Show In the Galaxy".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

An entire planet of grey men, all devouring plates of mushy peas.

Good way to get the show back to basics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Forbidden Planet in London are hiding the new Target novels which came out today. They’ve got a big signing Fri 13th with Rusty, Moffat, James Goss, and someone I’ve forgotten, so they’re not putting them out till then. Boooooo.

I have the misfortune to be living in London for the next year and I've been in Forbidden Planet twice since I moved. I had previously been once, about 15 years ago, and was amazed on my more recent visits to see that relatively normal people shop there now, and not just guys who look like Cenobite cosplayers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

It wasn't something I cared for at all on television, but I think there's a foundation for something decent there for Big Finish to redeem it. Not something I'd buy without hearing impressions, but it's an idea I'm more open to than most of the other new series spinoffs they've been doing lately.

Probably at least moreso than the further adventures of Lady Christina.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today is David Tennant's birthday.

Happy birthday, David Tennant. You do not look 47.

:toot:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do tv shows still get loads of books like that? When I visited my grandmother a while ago I went looking for something in her roofspace and found loads of 40-year old tv tie-in stuff, annuals, yearbooks and quiz books etc. that my dad and uncle had in the 70s (stuff like "The Giant Dad's Army Activity Book" and "The Catweazle Annual 1972").

(Also, it turns out either my grandmother or her late husband accumulated a massive collection of Hal Lindsey books and other authors on the same "God will destroy the world in 1999 when the Soviet Union invades Israel" theme. That wasn't a big surprise, though.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Brian Blessed was one of the actors asked to play the Second Doctor, but turned them down because of schedule conflicts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure when Blessed developed that acting style. I really haven't seen him in anything earlier than Flash Gordon but I assume it must have been before that.

He's probably the best-remembered part of the least-remembered part of Blackadder and it's all because of SHOUTING.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peter Cushing was another actor invited to play the Second Doctor and regretted turning it down, so there's probably another alternate timeline in which there were two Dalek-themed movies in which "Dr Who" is played by Patrick Troughton. So was Valentine Dyall, so there must be a third alternate timeline in which Patrick Troughton played the Black Guardian.

Michael Hordern was also offered the role but said no because he didn't want to commit to a long-term series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if Brian Blessed had played the Fourth Doctor and faced off against Graham Crowden in "The Horns of Nimon".

"MY DREEEEEAAMS on con-QUEST!"
"YOUR DREAMS OF CONQUEST?!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

Need to find something that will provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon. Anyone know any 100 tacos for $100 offers going on?

When that episode came out that probably would've been a far deeper cut, wouldn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

If the show had gotten a 27th series back in 1990, this was one of the designs floated as the new TARDIS interior

Haha, that would've been fun; with Eighth Doctor Richard Griffiths, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You'd still have to go to Milton Keynes, though.

• Locked thread