Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s what I figured. IDW’s artists range from serviceable to outright awful. That’s why I stopped bothering with their Trek stuff.

That aspect has really improved since Titan took over publishing the comics, much more consistent from both an art and storytelling point of view.

I just remember waiting years for someone to publish a proper standalone Doctor Who comic, then when IDW finally produced theirs it started with that miniseries written by Gary Russell that was just one of the worst possible ways to launch a new series - a horrible combination of endless fanservice and lovely writing, which is basically Russell's career all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Forktoss posted:

You're probably talking about The Prisoners of Time, The Forgotten is an earlier multi-Doctor story (and Frobisher-less as I recall, and definitely terrible).

The one I was thinking was collected under the name "Agent Provocateur" for some reason.

Whenever I think about how bad I am at drawing, I'll remember this art actually got published in a real Dr Who comic:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Servoret posted:

Dean Stockwell is going to be 82 in two days and Scott Bakula is going to be 64 this year. Probably time to recast, as much as I loved that duo back when the USA Network was showing Quantum Leap repeats every day. I don’t really want to see a recast show, though. It would have to have leads as likable as the original cast, and similar production quality to the original or I wouldn’t even give a reboot a watch.

I doubt you could make a show that even looks like Quantum Leap now, as even in the early nineties it was a style of production that was very much of the past - having shows like Twin Peaks, NYPD Blue and X-Files coming along probably didn't help.

That's not to say there isn't room for a potential continuation, but it would have to be very, very different just because TV production has changed so much in the last three decades. Even new X-Files doesn't really resemble classic X-Files very much, despite having a lot of the same crew on board.

If they cast a younger actor to replace Sam, I guess you'd have to shift the time-frame to have the show be about Millennial nostalgia, as opposed to baby boomer nostalgia like the original was. That's assuming they'd stick to the rule about only leaping within the leaper's lifetime.

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to watch this once, but for some reason, Netflix has every episode but the pilot, and I was immediately very confused. I'm sure it's something you can just pick up from wherever, but I tend to watch things linearly, in order.

For some reason all the double-length episodes were/are missing from Netflix, so no "Lee Harvey Oswald", no "Leap Back", and no series finale. Always seemed like a bizarre oversight on their part.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Toby Whithouse has written good episodes of Doctor Who other than "The Lie of the Land" ("School Reunion", "The God Complex" et al.).

Yeah, Whithouse has written many good things in the past, which makes it kind-of extra lovely that the worst thing he has ever written will probably be the last time he ever writes for Dr Who.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The actress wasn't that significant either

Fairly significant when you remember she was Peter Davison's daughter, who then went and married David Tennant, thereby creating a bewildering temporal anomaly where the Tenth Doctor is now the Fifth's son-in-law and the father of his grandchild.

Update; they're still together and have four kids now! David and Georgia that is, not David and Peter.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Trin Tragula posted:

When Doctor Who fandom was still small enough to have received wisdom, the received wisdom was that absolutely everything from the Trial onwards was embarrassing garbage and attempting to swim against that tide was the second-most surefire way to start a passionate and obnoxious flame war. Kids these days, never heard anyone call him "Sillybugger McCoy" and think they were being clever, you don't know you're born.

(This was also back in the day when one had flame wars.)

If we're talking newsgroups, I think it was more a few insanely dedicated shitlords who would never, ever shut up about how lame McCoy was.

Thank goodness for google's news archives so we can relive this golden era again. :suicide:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.drwho/dburns$20mccoy%7Csort:date/rec.arts.drwho/pXgzVbglXsU/bjBFxEVkegIJ

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The_Doctor posted:

...Russell T. Davies?

Paul Cornell, in Love and War

Davies actually got it wrong anyway, it's the Draconians, not Daleks that named him "The Oncoming Storm."

To the Daleks, he's Ka Faraq Gatri - The Bringer Of Darkness.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Cleretic posted:

That behind-the-scenes special also shows their original plan for the flashback to the Tenth Planet; a shot-for-shot remake instead of using more modern-day cinematic techniques. It's adorable.

Ohh, that could've been so great, I wonder why they changed their minds?

I've often dreamt of someone going back and remaking lost stories from the original shooting scripts with period-style effects and props, but synced up to original soundtrack like they did with Rocky Star.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Rhyno posted:

Remember when everyone loved it though?

I think the average person might be forgiven for failing to predict the utter farrago of self-congratulatory toss the show would become after Season 2. You might, for example, have expected Moffat and Gattis might actually attempt to resolve the cliffhanger from "The Reichenbach Fall" instead of spending an entire episode literally wanking themselves off at how clever they are while shouting "Ahhh, you'll never guess how Sherlock comes back from the dead and we'll never actually tell you so suck on that, NERRRRDS" at the camera.

It would also have been difficult to foresee that the series would actually get incrementally worse from that point on, smugger, stupider and lazier in every aspect. So bad in fact it sucks any enjoyment from the earlier "good" episodes, because In effect, those are nothing more than a prelude to some of the most embarrassing bullshit ever put on TV.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

corn in the bible posted:

I used to have this massive two-volume annotated Sherlock where the annotations were all, like, trying to establish what day things happened on and what kind of snake the speckled band really was and a bunch of other insane poo poo. it was incredible and I wish I still had it.

They determined the speckled band was ACTUALLY a hybrid lizard with no legs, that's definitely what ACD had in mind when he wrote the story

I have something like that, but it's an old seventies book full of fantastically over-analytical Holmes-fan nitpicking.

It's this one, mine doesn't have the cover sadly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Holmes-Commentary-Martin-Dakin/dp/0715354930

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Ms Boods posted:

From a few pages back, soz -- Paul McGann has been playing a mad scientist surgeon on Holby City for months, and after a very slow burn, the crazy evil has ramped up into the stratosphere in the past couple of episodes. But no matter how sinister or OTT his storyline gets, he plays it with that quiet, soothing voice and subdued mannerisms that he does so well -- even while he's experimenting on people and doing horrific stuff to shut up anyone who might suss him out.

So far his character has been experimenting a new surgical technique on people following a flawed premise, and he doesn't give a poo poo that he's leaving behind vegetables and corpses in his wake after he mucks about in this spinal columns/brains. One of his long-time colleagues started sleuthing to figure out what the hell he's been doing; frightened by an encounter with him, she ran away, got knocked down by a car, and sustained a head injury. Dr McGann stepped in to operate and deliberately hosed up the operation to leave her with locked-in syndrome :stonk: When he was informed that she was lucid and attempting to alert the other medics via blinking, he swooped him, told everyone it was just some involuntary reaction, and then morphined her to death -- with her very aware of what he was doing, given that he was not only telling her how much he loved her and it was for her own good, but showing her the comedy-oversized injection needle before he jammed it into her IV bag :stonk: :stonk:).

The usual old lady brigade who follow the show are horrified with the storyline and complain weekly to the BBC -- all this goes out between 8 & 9pm, as well.

:iia:

So it's basically turned into a Holby version of the "bad doctor" sketches from Jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxM4ToLLR8

• Locked thread