Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Who knows?

Who.

Nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s silly. Regeneration doesn’t work like tha...

"I know where I got this face, and I know what it's for! It's to remind me that this regeneration is loving INSANE!!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

All that led me to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtYiOQ5NquQ

:aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I see you already must have Vengence on Varos..

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Ghost Light is a very good story, the downside is that it can take a couple of viewings to piece everything together. It’s very densely packed, and there’s not a wasted moment (indeed, it could honestly use a little more room to breathe).

I always say this when Ghost Light comes up: read the Target novelization. Its by the guy whowrote the episode, and fleshes everything out far more with stuff that got cut. I read it first and had no problem following the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Interesting that they have Cartmel and Aaronovitch back for it.

Time for some Looms. BITCHES! :getin:

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, they're running a $5 sale on Main Range stores 101-150 til the 22nd

One day, I'll be so behind on Big Finish that all the sale stuff in the Main Rainge will be stuff I dont already have...

One day. :negative:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

docbeard posted:

(I do not care for Vengeance on Varos)

I think you'll find some say it's a classic!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bought "Timelash." I expect it to be terrible.

Fact: outside of a random viewing of The Three Doctors when I was like 8, Timelash was the first Doctor Who I saw, and got me obsessively hooked.

If you think my opinions on Doctor Who are horrible, you may take from that what you will...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Like I said earlier, my first exposure to Who was watching The Three Doctors on a rainy day when I was pretty young. Probably 7 or so.

Then a few years later I'd gotten into Star Trek pretty hard...this was around '86 or so. Was watching TOS reruns, buying novels and the Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph and poring over it. And I'd heard of this Doctor Who thing, but never really seen it. I remember exactly the circumstance...it was around 9pm or so on a Friday or Saturday, and there was nothing on tv except The Golden Girls, which wasn't exactly exciting tv for a 10 year old. I was watching on a little 13 inch black and white set in my room, turning from channel to channel (all 5 or 6 of them) and I alighted on The New Jersey Network, channel 24, our local PBS affiliate. Timelash was on, and it was sci-fi and it was different! I realized vaguely this was that Doctor Who show and I thought "well, I can dedicate myself to obsess over something else besides Star Trek."

Pretty soon I was watching both the NJN 9pm show and a midnight showing on another PBS affiliate, and I think somewhere in there they were doing an afternoon viewing. It was great because each one was a different point in the show's run, and they'd go through every episode in order until they hit the end or new ones came from England, whichever came first. Then they started over with Hartnell. And these were the 90 minute PBS edits so you'd see a new serial every week (unless it was a crazy one like The War Games). I faithfully recorded each week which episodes I watched on my Star Trek calendar (sacrilege!) and checked against the Jean-Marc Lofficier episode guide (Volumes 1 and 2). And bonus, if I went to say my grandmother's on vacation, I could watch her PBS which was bound to be showing a totally different Doctor! If I went out of town for anything the first thing I did was try to find local tv listings to see if Doctor Who would coincide with my visit--I recall at least once forcing my family to watch a random Davison on a family trip in a hotel because I wasn't going to miss that opportunity!

Because of this, my Doctor Who viewing was oddly spotty. I saw every episode of Hartnell at least twice, all of 2 and 3, most of 5, and much of 6--except his first season, but I saw Trial as a first run in the US, and all the 7th Doctor seasons on their first airing here. To this day there's still many of the most iconic 4th Doctor episodes I haven't seen and so ironically he was my least favorite Doctor while to most Americans he was the most well known one up till the revival. It took me a long time to jump into the 4th Doctor BF stuff, though of course I love it now.

I also started buying Target novels at my local bookstores to catch up on stuff they hadn't got to yet and the indispensable Doctor Who A-Z encyclopedia, and the Peter Haining books which told a lot of the offscreen history. I lapped up every color photo in those books, and the stories about production. I read about monsters and planets I'd never seen. You have to understand something about the feel for Doctor Who in the 70s and 80s in the US--only someone who was here will "get it." In those days, Doctor Who was pretty underground. "Mainstream" US nerds were into Trek and Tolkein (which was also horribly unknown to normies). Doctor Who was something Other, on PBS at odd hours, on the bottom shelf of a B Dalton or Waldenbooks with a bunch of tiny spined colorful Target novels. Every time I went into a bookstore, especially on vacation, it was an amazing delight to see NEW (to me) Doctor Who in any form--be it Target books, stuff about the history of the show, etc. It was like discovering a new and unknown piece of history if I could afford to buy them. And oh joy of joys if I found a comic book store and some back issues of Doctor Who Magazine!

Then it was cancelled. I saw the last season of McCoy, and we were into The Wilderness Years. I was very excited to see the Virgin books come out, and in my mind I thought "whelp, it was a good run, it's nice that someone is continuing Doctor Who with some new stories but THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST IT WILL EVER GET." Doctor Who, consigned to the heap of sci-fi history with stuff like Blake's 7, Space 1999, etc.

If you're from the UK, you really won't get it because if you grew up in the 70s and 80s Doctor Who was a National Institution that everyone knew about, but in the US it was just loving underground, man, even to scifi nerds. And more so when it was cancelled.

The TV Movie was a pleasant surprise, especially the way they brought back McCoy and seemed to (mostly) stay in continuity. Then it vanished again. So when the revival came, and it burst onto the scene, it was pretty amazing. I remember watching Rose with my brother, who used to watch McCoy serials on PBS with me and being ecstatic.

Now we live in a world where mainstream US news stations and papers like USA Today will write front page news about "The New Doctor" being cast. And thousands of teenagers squeeing over the hot new Doctor, and it's like I'm in some kind of strange parallel universe totally alien to what I experienced in the 80s and 90s.

It's pretty loving cool. :cool:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stockwell was pretty spry in BSG. :shrug:

One difference between 90s tv and now is that I think people would demand more worldbuilding/answers about The Present and the tech involved. QL took place in the Near Future and what glimpses they showed of it were pretty laughable. The entire infrastructure of the project, right down to the computers and what Al was looking at wasn't shown as I recall. There wasn't a big Stargate-esque room with giant machines, or a holodeck. Al's computer interface was a buncha blinkenlights on a piece of plastic. Ziggy wasn't even a black box, not to us.

That meant the show could focus on the here and now for Sam, and what he was experiencing, cut off from the present. And it meant that outside of certain episodes, the present wasn't a factor, and there weren't a lot of stories in the present affecting the show. They also showed very little of the mechanics of time travel, the consequences, and how it worked, again outside of certain eps like where Sam wanted to save his father or Al's marriage. I would imagine in a post :lost: world the audience would demand b-plots in the present/future, episodes showing how time travel functions in this universe, etc. And of course overall mytharc plots, which QL was very lean on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Servoret posted:

Now I really hope a continuation never happens. I’m envisioning an episode where nu-Sam thinks she/he is there to stop Columbine or 9/11, but really is there to save somebody’s dog that ran out into traffic or whatever.

This is probably the ultimate reason why QL can't be remade today. A lot of the plots dealt with controversial topics the show would get castigated for dealing with now--civil rights and race relatiions, religion, historical events like the JFK assassintion, the Downs episode, mental health, war, etc. And often it was a misdirection and they didn't take the predictable plot route. Even though QL tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive, some people would be very offended about some aspect of it.

I mean, there a lot of people in this thread who EXTREMELY WORRIED :ohdear: about the very idea that a white male showrun show starring a white woman might touch on the US civil rights movement. QL would do this like, every week. And casting a woke POC female as the lead wouldn't necessarily be a solution--if any of the showrunners, writers, and directors were white males the ability of the show to touch on certain topics would be greeted with scathing blog posts, The Root and IO9 articles blasting it, and boycotts.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Times_Doctor_Who_Was_Ruined_Forever

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

The suggestion is that he's trapped in a Sisyphean nightmare in which he is eternally pursued by perpetually-evolving cybermen who chase faster the farther he gets from the point of origin.

He'll be fine.

I thought the nightmare was that he was eternally pursued by that farm woman who was in love with him?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I take it Sandifer has finely tuned his opinion that "Nu-Who is the only valid continuation of the original series" to "RTD-Who is the only valid continuation to the original series."

Can't to hear his increasingly Lawrence Milesesque hot takes on Chibnall-Whittaker Who. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My issue with Sandifer wasn't his dislike of BF per se, but the fact that he clearly went into his critical analysis with a planned narrative--that the 2005 series was the apotheosis of the show and the only valid version. The books and BF were "The Wilderness Years" and a mere placeholder til we got back to the business of "Real Who".

He ignores the inconvenient fact that BF has continued 13 years after the new show started, that it uses the current and former actors and writers, and has produced some of the best Doctor Who stories ever made.

At least he did last time I read him, which was admittedly a few years ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Time of the Rani gives us an age of 953 years old for both him and the Rani, and then 900 when Nine rolled around,

I seem to recall 750 as canon for One, which roughly got us to the 953 for Seven.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GORDON posted:

I just read a thing about Ecclestone, whining about how Doctor Who nearly killed his career, and how miserable he was making GI Joe and Thor.

I really hate that I became a fan during his season, and that he's "My Doctor." He's so loving joyless.

Yeah, a commentator on IO9 (stopped clock, but still), said something like "you know, maybe when you have a problem with all these horrible jobs, the problem isn't them". I mean, he is doing this work, he's signing up for it, and then he just slags it as horrible after the fact. And we're not talking B-Movie schlock here, but multi-million dollar blockbusters that a lot of his fans went to see, and paid for. I'm less pissed about the Who stuff, than I am the GI Joe/Thor comments, and I didn't even see those movies. It just strikes me as very unprofessional and contemptuous of the audience.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shutting up and acting like all working conditions are great is how all working conditions become poo poo

Yes, he's a saint because he quit Doctor Who before it aired in defense of the working downtrodden poor. :rolleyes:

There seems to be a perspective with him. At first everybody slammed him for quitting. Then people jumped to defend him with "How DARE you! You FAN! You don't own these actors!" Then it came out that there was some incident or incidents where something vauge happened that was bad to some people on set and he started hinting he quit over that. Now he's some sort of canonized working class hero and you can't criticize him.

Maybe he did, but him saying that he was a "whore" for doing GI Joe and Thor and was suicidal daily just going to work on those has nothing to do with with any of that. If I was a downtrodden working little guy on those movies who worked hard and was proud of my work, I probably wouldn't like those comments.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

I'm cool with fewer kidfuckers on British Television.

Wait, what? :confused:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Man, i'd forgotten that some of the DVDs have the old Annuals on them as pdfs. Including that kind of material is pretty neat

Zoltan! Looking forward to Doctor Who and the Continuum Transfunctioner

Man, I hate it when my 60s Mod Elastic Sided Boots pinch! You really can't wear them all day. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

I had forgotten who Lady Christina was, which is a bad sign for a new range. At least Jenny was memorable.

Jenny, with both the significance of the character and the actress to the franchise was a no-brainer to return. Seems like they're mining the depths with Lady Christina.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Jenny was not a significant character to the franchise

She was significant in that she was a genetic clone of the main character, with Gallifreyan DNA (at the time when the entire species but one was extinct). She was only the second person related to him we ever saw onscreen in 50 years. And she was shown at then end excitedly going off on new adventures in a way that practically screamed "I HAVE AN EXCITING STORY COMING UP AND YOU'LL WANT TO SEE MORE OF ME!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Moffat suggested to RTD that she didn't die because he thought her dying would be too cliche.

The actress wasn't that significant either (can you remember, without checking, what the names of the characters that David Troughton played were? And which episodes they were in? How about Michael Troughton?)

She's the daughter of one Doctor and married to another. She is significant as a person to the franchise.

What are we arguing anyway? That Lady Christina is a better choice for spinoff series? That neither are?

We're getting both anyway, so I guess sales figures will show the results.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, I'll agree to that. Jenny is a fairly blank slate you could do a lot with, whereas Christina was a genuinely awful person.

Trying to redeem a bad character can be...interesting, though it can just not work for some.

Orson Welles revived the character of Harry Lime from The Third Man for a very popular radio series. It was a prequel, for obvious reasons, and involved the wacky adventures of charming con man Harry Lime in pre-war Europe, the Middle East, etc--various cosmopolitan places. Usually the episodes had Harry going some petty roguish crime or being hired to do something. While morally grey, he usually ended up doing something good for somebody, turning the tables on a worse person, etc. He also never quite won the big score and just about "oh well!" broke even to survive til his next caper.

I've listened to quite a few of them, and I can't get around the fact that in the movie, Lime was a monster who sold sick kids watered down medicine to make a profit and it killed them, to the shock and horror of his childhood friend Holly. And to compound it, he just didn't care or show any remorse. It's not like the radio show is a modern character arc either, which shows Lime's journey from a basically good Robin Hood type to cold rear end in a top hat, because storytelling of that era didn't work like that.

I'm a huge Welles fan, but even his great acting and in some cases, writing, on this, just leaves me cold.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

As soon as Tennant heard this he called Chibnall to offer his services in the same fashion should Jodie need a day off.

"Yeah, thanks David, but we've already heard the same from Peter."
"Capaldi? Or Dad?"
"Both..."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

PS: during Gomez’s talk she let slip that she did a BF audio as Missy going up against River Song. :swoon: should be out soon. I don’t think she was supposed to do that.

Sure, Missy against River will be great, but the biggest takeaway from that is HOLY poo poo THEY'VE ALREADY GOT MISSY AUDIOS IN THE WORKS?! :tviv:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh poo poo, this means we can have a multi-Master episode with Macqueen and Gomez!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Technically, Gomez's Who debut was with BF, in the 2007 Syl audio "Valhalla"

https://twitter.com/memoriesdw/status/977955002290458625

Speak no evil, smell no evil, hear no evil?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That cover is the most RTD thing to ever RTD.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cargohills posted:

I got my copies of the novels today. Day of the Doctor has chapter numbers out of order (it starts on 8 - "Night of the Doctor"), which is pretty fun. There's no chapter 9.

:boom:

Guess The Moff is still a bit salty...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Perhaps now that the Mondasian Cybermen have had their moment in the sun the nostalgia wheel can go around and BF can rehab the much maligned 80s Cybermen?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pssht. They're too busy rehabilitating Class.

(no joke, the cast just uploaded pictures of them recording on Instagram)

They really are doing everything nobody is asking for, arent they?

I guess as long as the main DW stuff and B7 and Dark Shadows is output at the same rate I could care less.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ouch. Way to backhand Dark Shadows.

(Arrgh Bloodline when!?)

Yeah, that's true. 10 years ago they were doing full cast audios, then they moved to limited cast audiobooks every month. Bloodlust was supposed to be the reboot I think but now it's just short stories every 3 months or so. I assume it's because of the actors getting old, but I thought that was the entire point of him introducing the "New Generation" with the kids and Older Amy? Lidster was moving the narrative forward for awhile there, but now it's slowing right down. Maybe they aren't selling as well? Which is too bad if true.

I did like the Tony and Cassandra audios last year, I hope they do another. The Quentin/Maggie one coming out soon is a bit odd because it's literally "/" and those are two I never imagined hooking up. I get that it's after "Return to Collinwood" but I was never sure if that was canon-unless Lidster has been leading up to it with the 1980s stuff. Not to mention why go so far in the future if he's playing in the 1980s sandbox?

If they really wanted to reboot things they'd go full Soap Opera and just recast Barnabas, Julia, Roger, and Elizabeth with Treloaresque soundalikes. And Stokes, can't forget him. Then they could hit the early 70s stories hard, show more flashbacks, etc. No more "Roger and Elizabeth are on vacation" or "Julia is in China" or "Barnabas is in another body" shenannigans. I get that Lidster hates the idea but it is a soap opera, and that's kinda what soaps do.

Doctor Who is doing it and it's saving the 1-3 Doctor stories from going extinct.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Never saw the K-9 thing but SJA was solid. Class makes Torchwood look like Prime T Bakes/Hinchcliffe Who.

Children of Earth alone atones for any bad stuff Torchwood had and makes it worth existing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

lol

I've heard literally hundreds of Big Finish stories, watched all of both Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures, watched reproductions of the classic episodes that don't exist... I've seen those cartoons they made during the Tennant years. I watched the Colin Baker Doctor Who cartoon that took place in Egypt, the educational math segment with the Seventh Doctor, and on and on. I've heard the recording of Tom Baker saying "ROSIE BALL."

I have never seen a single moment of Class.

You are a lucky, lucky man.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I've started going for walks again in the evening now it's warmed up a bit, and I have a 4 mile route that takes roughly an hour for me which is perfect BF episode length.

Walking in warm weather...I remember such a thing...from the Before Times. Now is endless snow.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

Quantum Leap

Instabuy.

Would probably be as excited for this as I was Prisoner, War Doctor, and 10th Doctor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Caption Contest!

"So, Chibnall's gonna totally ruin it, right?"
"Yeah."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't care if it's politically correct, but I do think it's an odd choice. I think they should use the era-specific logos, music, and sound effects of whatever Doctor is in the episode. That's kinda the point, to make you believe you're experiencing something of the era.

But then again, since the cover art is a tiny pic on my phone I barely glance at, :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Burkion posted:

How in the hell would that even work

I mean

What is that even going to cut? Are they going to touch up effects? Restore the picture? Or

I'm very confused

Finally, the 70s-80s PBS edits get their due! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was awfully nice of Peter to let someone else wear his coat and drive!

• Locked thread