Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

That sounds way better to me, to be honest. Though it wouldn't solve the problem of RealClara only having 7 episodes, but then again, I don't think the problem there was the amount of episodes, but just that Moffat didn't *really* figure out how to write the character until Capaldi arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair, Last Christmas' ending was so patchy that you could easily cut the fakeout part and just have Clara die, so there's no need to sacrifice it, as The_Doctor pointed out. You could really tell how many times Moffat had to rewrite her exit by that point.

Speaking of Clara and the "first face I ever saw" theming that started with 10 and Rose... I really hope that Chibnall drops that stuff. I mean, I don't even hate the dynamic, but we've seen so many variants of the Doctor becoming unhealthily attached to a person and being unable to cope with loss in a short span of time, that I think that thematic wellspring has run dry.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Is it true that the next series starts in October? Are we really waiting another eight months?

They haven't said that officially, but the photos that snuck out of their official presentation say coming October, yeah. Prepare yourself psychologically for the wait!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hey guys, I want some feedback on this fantasy: I'm Tom Baker, and I'm writing down an incredibly raunchy autobiography and sneak it on unsuspecting forum goers who don't know they're about to get way more than they bargained for... then I drink a pint to celebrate.

I don't want a drinking mate, I just want to get some feedback, and yes, I already have the beer, who do you take me for?

P.S. : Honestly, that weirdo guy aside, those opinions don't sound so deranged or far removed from the range you might find here on SA.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair, I think Moffat demonstrated that the ability to write excellent standalone stories doesn't necessarily translate in the ability to write good arcs or handle a show well behind the scenes.

In my view, the jury's still out on Chibnall, even though, yes, his writing output on individual episodes of Who and its spin-offs ranges from decent to WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CobiWann posted:

I look at it like this - the day I die will be the day that I finally finish consuming all available Doctor Who on this planet.

And when I get to Heaven, Saint Peter will be there. "Hello Cobi. We have a high-definition viewing of The Power of the Daleks waiting for you, followed up The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve."

And Saint Peter reveals his face to be that of the best actor who ever interpreted the Doctor.

Peter... Cushing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

When has Moffat ever not left a thread hanging?

In that case, it was a good call. We really don't *need* to see Capaldi go back for that cameo during the Time War, it's okay to just know it happened at some point. He showed a remarkable amount of restraint which is honestly unlike him.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

One of my favourite parts about the 12 era is how sometimes it looked state of the art, and other times it looked like something from the 1970s.

And this gif is an example of when it looked state of the art.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That picture is so 80s.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
THE UNIVERSE IS CALLING

And it wants you to have enough food.

The anti-Infinity War.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't see Andre Braugher :( Still, that's a fantastic photo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, Joe Lo Truglio is surprisingly good at balancing comedy and drama with a super-dorky character, but Raymond Holt *makes* Brooklyn Nine-Nine for me, so that's the actor I immediately thought about.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lots of TARDIS have a gym.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, from what I remember, Eccleston really appreciated most of the Doctors as actors, at the very least. I doubt he blames them for the problems he had on the show, which were chiefly with how things were run (and from what I read of them, totally understandable).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Chris Ecclestone sounds fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
We now have a list of the new writers and directors:

quote:

The five scribes of Jodie Whittaker’s debut run are entirely new, with no returning voices. They are:

Malorie Blackman, who describes her story as “Heartfelt, thought-provoking, timely.”
Ed Hime, who describes his story as “Really rather spooky…”
Peter McTighe, who describes his story as a “Creepy, fun, rollercoaster.”
Vinay Patel, who describes his story as “Educational, epic, emotional.”
Joy Wilkinson, who describes her story as “Dark, funny, squelchy!”
And the directors are:

Jamie Childs (Block 1 – episodes 1 & 7, Block 5 – episodes 9 & 10)
Mark Tonderai (Block 2 – episodes 2 & 3)
Sallie Aprahamian (Block 3 – episodes 4 & 6)
Jennifer Perrott (Block 4 – episodes 5 & 8)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The one thing I liked about 12's sonic is that in season 10 they used it as a torch a lot and it created some really good looking lighting for some scenes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Season 5 had a number of really great episodes, though it fumbled often enough that I struggle to share the same consensus as this particular thread has.

Then again, I'm probably a hypocrite because I love season 1 and 2, even though they definitely had a ton of poo poo in them and The Parting of the Ways' plot doesn't really stand up to scrutiny (still the most beautiful regeneration of the whole revival though... so simple... so good).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I like the concept in theory, but in practice it looked extremely cheap. I guess I just wish the effect looked better.

Hopefully Whittaker's regeneration doesn't come for a good while, but I'm very curious to see whether Chibnall continues with the drawn out regenerations that have become common in NuWho or pares it back a little bit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Capaldi can read the grocery store and make grand gestures about it and I'd love that episode, as far as I'm concerned.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm worried about the 18 people that read enough of that review to be able to say "yes, I found that helpful".

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TinTower posted:

Matt’s been cast in Episode IX. :tviv:

The second Doctor Who x Star Wars crossover after the original trilogy!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Richard E Grant, Tosin Cole...?

The only two The Doctor x Star Wars crossovers.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Disco McCoy reminds me too much of Brian Blessed to feel comfortable.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
So far the team seems to have made the right choices, IMO. I have some apprehension regarding a leaked episode plotline (or rather, the hints at that plotline from leaked casting credits and sets), but everything else looks great.

And even if it's poo poo, it'll be different poo poo! Doctor Who thrives on changing, otherwise we'd still be getting vaseline filters over shots and a significantly aged David Tennant telling yet another companion that he's sorry, so sorry.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
With the exception of the console, which looks a little cheaper and a little more like a prop you might see in Doctor Who during the 70s, that looks like the J.J. Abrams version of the Tardis to me. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it looks very slick.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Those are such lovely interview snippets, fingers crossed someone doesn't come here with a quote that turns my lovely image of Peter Cushing into a nightmare.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently, the scripts for series 11 were written for a male doctor, as Chibnall didn't tell the writers he was actually casting Jodie Whittaker.

I'm not sure if this was necessarily the best approach to take (though it certainly helped minimize the leaks), but it most likely means that 13th Doctor's gender won't come up much if at all during the season.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IMO, there are a lot of wrong ways to write the Doctor as a woman, but it's still possible to acknowledge the Doctor's current gender without being corny. That said, considering the stumbles of the Doctor Who writing team in handling these subjects in the past, just sort of carrying on like nothing happened is probably the best option.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The weirdest Who take I read the other day on a Facebook comment was “In the 60s this show was really progressive now it’s only interested in SJW virtue signalling.” I sat there for a couple of minutes trying to wrap my head around that one. :psyduck:

In the 60s the show was very progressive, but that doesn't mean it should be progressive NOW. Won't someone think of *my* needs? Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I started HRT today, so my regeneration has begun. :)

E: Typo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5zvzTcqrE

• Locked thread