Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I just listened to that Tom Baker audio clip

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Eegh. I have some friends who are planning a double feature "watch something actually horribly bad/something enjoyably bad" and riff on it together for the summer months, but there's stuff that's riffable and there's stuff that makes everybody just want to murder someone. I think Doctor Who covers the whole spectrum :v:

in my experience DW is mostly in the latter category

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edward Mass posted:

Still waiting for the English-speaking world to catch up with the Germans on season box sets of the classic series!

:shittypop: do they have English audio

I really don't like new Who but I am a whore for the classic series

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Astroman posted:

This is probably the ultimate reason why QL can't be remade today. A lot of the plots dealt with controversial topics the show would get castigated for dealing with now--civil rights and race relatiions, religion, historical events like the JFK assassintion, the Downs episode, mental health, war, etc. And often it was a misdirection and they didn't take the predictable plot route. Even though QL tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive, some people would be very offended about some aspect of it.

I mean, there a lot of people in this thread who EXTREMELY WORRIED :ohdear: about the very idea that a white male showrun show starring a white woman might touch on the US civil rights movement. QL would do this like, every week. And casting a woke POC female as the lead wouldn't necessarily be a solution--if any of the showrunners, writers, and directors were white males the ability of the show to touch on certain topics would be greeted with scathing blog posts, The Root and IO9 articles blasting it, and boycotts.

I feel like there's two things that kind of set QL apart from other "white dudes have opinions" shows:

First off, this was sort of the show's brand. It's not like it was doing this out of nowhere, it did it constantly, week-to-week. If this sounded bad to you, you probably wouldn't be paying attention to QL in the first place.

Second off, as you said, it tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive. Audience goodwill can really smooth a lot over, and QL built up a lot of it by consistently handling these topics decently and sensitively.

For a reboot, carrying this over would be kind of important; shows only get outright castigated for handling heavy topics if a) it's jarring and outside the show's lane and/or b) they have a history of cocking it up. If a QL reboot tackled heavy issues, even if it were white dudes, people would just be worried up until release and then if it came out and was good and sensitive, everyone would be basically fine.

e: like, South Park doesn't get castigated for the simple fact that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have political opinions, it gets castigated for them having staggeringly awful political opinions that they feel compelled to wedge into a show about kids making dick jokes. BoJack Horseman, meanwhile, is a show ran by a white dude that's political as gently caress, but "woke" people love it, because like QL, it's both defined by handling those topics and incredibly sensitive about them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GORDON posted:

I just read a thing about Ecclestone, whining about how Doctor Who nearly killed his career, and how miserable he was making GI Joe and Thor.

I really hate that I became a fan during his season, and that he's "My Doctor." He's so loving joyless.

i don't know if we read the same article, because he didn't really come off as whiny at all in what I read? he was pretty blunt that the only reason he holds ill will towards Doctor Who is because the BBC went out of their way to dick him over after he left (per his agent), and that the only reason he didn't enjoy working on blockbusters was himself rather than set shenanigans on those movies.

e: like, his experience with those movies seemed way less "I had a horrible, traumatic experience making these movies" and more "making multi-million dollar actioners isn't really my bag."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Like, the expectation that actors are always supposed to be happy about every job they took is part of what empowers people like David O. Russell to keep doing what they do and to get away with it, to say nothing of all the #metoo stuff. I recognize that successful film actors make a lot of money for what they do, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't complain about bad working conditions, particularly when they're doing it on behalf of crew members who are paid less than them or aspiring actors new to the business.

yeah, the idea that complaining about bad working conditions is "whiny" is... honestly kind of ghoulish?

• Locked thread