Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

New thread!

.... the windows are the wrong size!

:argh:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 9, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

badjohny posted:

Is there anywhere to stream the new Xmas episode? I got all caught up on amazon prime, but they don't have the latest Xmas one yet.

The BBCA app does not even list Dr Who as a show to watch, unless I am somehow using the app wrong.

iTunes has it but you would need to buy it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of the others already mentioned, I'm a big fan of The Brain of Morbius, because they're all enjoying Philip Madoc so much :allears:

God drat did the 50th rule, from start to finish I was just so happy :)

There are two cases in all of Doctor who that I literally shouted out loud at the screen “OH MY loving GOD!”

One was the very first reveal of the Master in the new series. The other was when I heard that voice. :aaaaa:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

2house2fly posted:

Well you see, at some point among his first three incarnations the Doctor met up with this museum curator, and evidently they got on so well the Doctor took on his face. The Curator knows a bit about Time Lord regeneration and assumed the Eleventh Doctor, who looked younger, was in fact a younger version of the man he'd met

That’s silly. Regeneration doesn’t work like tha...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, people don't like Ghost Light? Whaaa

(On that list, I also love Greatest Show, and Paradise Towers has a really tight script attached to a poor production.)

I remember Ghost Light to be an incomprehensible mess that seemed like it was trying to cash in on the Rocky Horror craze but I haven’t watched it in years so maybe I’m misremembering.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm just kidding, Toxx. I can't even go to the novel-writing convention I used to go to anymore, because the number of pompous-voiced people who'd take up the literary agents' time during panels by asking extremely specific, long-winded questions about their obviously autobiographical first draft that they were pitching made me embarrassed to be alive. I can't imagine what a Doctor Who convention would be like.

I'd still go if there were one in Boston and I had the day off, though.

Counterpoint: if you go to one, you might just get choked out by your Doctor! :swoon:

(Man, I wish that wasn't blurry. :( )

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rirse posted:

I grabbed all the 1 - 3 doctor dvds there along with that "The Doctors Revisited" set that has Aztecs, Tomb of the Cyberman, Spearheads from Space, and Pyramids of Mars on it.

Next time get Keeper of Traken and Logopolis.

Logopolis is one of my favorite episodes because the Master very nearly accidentally destroys the universe solely because he’s being a dick to the Doctor.

And Keeper sets it up.

Also get The Doris Day Show because I’ve never seen that before. Is that a Pertwee episode?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rirse posted:

I would grabbed Logopolis, but that is the END of the Tom Baker episodes. I don't want to skip to the last chapter of a good book.

Oh I missed the part where you hadn’t seen any. I thought you were just using the thread as a decision maker. Yeah don’t do that then.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Maera Sior posted:

I heard something similar about Otakon, although it was more about the property damage. It let my con get an excellent contact at one of the Baltimore hotels. (You should come, a lot of the people are functional adults and the gamers are quarantined.)

What con is that? Regeneration?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Maera Sior posted:

Balticon. It's a literary con, not a media or gaming con.
I've been to RW once and don't plan on going back. Hanging out with the guests outside the hotel bar was amazing, but as a con it's not my cup of tea.

Why’s that? We decided to go because of the guest list. Can’t wait to meet Capaldi and Gomez together! :swoon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s only his first season, so 20 episodes/8.3 hours.

This also seems like something that may sell well for one or two seasons, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge demand for his later years. As a collector it’s good and convenient, but I’m struggling to see where Warner/BBC think there’s money to be had doing this.

Ok, because DVD is a dead format, then? And they’re too stuck in the past to put it on streaming?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

The cliffhanger where Scarlioni shows up somewhere he absolutely should not be AND asks the Doctor by name what he is doing there is one of the best cliffhangers the show has ever done. I still remember my reaction the first time I saw it :vince:

You’re very pretty, probably.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

This I like, and I agree that it looks like a Pink Floyd album.

Agree. Just the red was okay but I agree it looked too Diablo/Supernatural. This is simple and elegant with a dash of whimsy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Maera Sior posted:

As cool as it is to see some of the guests, the "Pay $ to get an autograph, pay $ to get a photo (even with a cell phone)" and the general lack of programming makes me feel bored and taken advantage of. Now, if they were all willing to hang out at the bar, that's something else.

I understand that but it’s also pretty standard fare for fan cons. I don’t think it’s fair to expect the guests to come spend time and hang out with fans who I’m sure are 90% annoying as gently caress. They do have a coffee with the Doctors session that I’d prefer but it’s sold out. :(

I prefer the pre-sales to how it used to be in the 90s where you pay to queue up in a stupidly long line and have the guest say a quick hi and sign something in 5 seconds. I did both with McGann and at least the photo op gave us a dedicated 5 minutes to chat with him and pose. At his table it was absolutely no cell phone pics until he saw my 8th doctor t-shirt and he flipped out about it and insisted that they let me do it. :)

Having said that I do hope I run into all the Doctors in the bar and can have a drink with them. :cheers:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So, I listened to "Scherzo."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ugh. That one felt really creepy and not in a good way. Like suddenly someone’s vore fetish intruded in my Doctor who.

But it’s pretty well regarded so v :( v

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 22, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

It's a story I absolutely loved, though I think a large part of what made it work for me is that I listened to the bulk of it while walking home late one night in the rain, and that really put me in the right mood.

Unfortunately if you think THIS story feels like somebody's fetish got shoved into a Doctor Who story, you're REALLY going to hate Creed of the Kromon (which you should, because it is a dogshit story).

To be clear I recognize that it's a well crafted and well acted story. It just gives me a sick feeling in my stomach kind of like the first time I found out about furries.

I'm surprised we're talking about all this and nobody has mentioned THAT story...

(rhymes with Inuit in Smell)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'm excited for a new take on the show by a whole new crew. Let's hope they don't gently caress it up. Cheers!

You know, so am I. When I saw the little teaser I got a feeling that I don’t often get, of something familiar getting a new makeover so it seems both new and old at the same time.

The only times I can think of feeling this this was
- watching Star Trek TMP in the theater :corsair:
- the first Sylvester McCoy episode I saw with the synth intro

Even when I saw Rose the first time it felt enough like a new show (I didn’t know if it was a reboot or not at first) that it didn’t do that for me.

So I’m pretty excited. I also hope it devoid of suckage.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

docbeard posted:

If it's from Moffat, there wouldn't be a note. Instead, when opening the truck, it would be empty but a recording of a creepy childrens' choir would play:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
Tick tock, and on this rhyme
I spent all the money

And i spent all the money! is repeated every 3 seconds for the next 45 minutes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Davros1 posted:

I seriously want RTD to do a podcast where he talks about Who every week.

For all the poo poo I used to give RTD he really does get so excited about Doctor Who. I bet it would be awesome to have a beer with him and just totally geek out over Doctor Who.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I was busy today and managed to get through the War Master set in one go. I was really happy with it.

The Master is a Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

I just bought it over the weekend and I can’t wait to listen to it! :neckbeard:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Well, if we’re going to do that, my first Doctor was Peter Cushing in Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think. The one where they tried to roll a bomb into the center of the Earth. It was on TV one Saturday afternoon at the neighbors and they had a color TV and we didn’t. It I was enthralled by the Daleks and I stopped whatever we were doing parked in front of the TV and wouldn’t let anyone change it.

Yeah I was kind of a dick when I was little.

It wasn’t until years later I saw a Tom Baker episode on TV that I realized it wasn’t just a one off movie.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

sinepost posted:

The chapter written by Robert Holmes in that book is brilliant. I wish he’d been around for at least a few DVD commentaries :ohdear:

Edit: Actually, wrong book! I’m thinking about The Doctor Who File. Same author and similar cover.

Here’s a bit from it with Holmes describing getting the script editor job on Doctor Who:

Omg. That’s the best story.

Welllll Douglas Adams’ biscuit story is better.

Wellllll actually Christian Slater’s Jack Nicholson story is up there too.

Welllll you know what, it’s a good story.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

howe_sam posted:

We're getting a reboot of Greatest American Hero, we can tolerate a reboot of Quantum Leap.

I don’t know why they’re doing that. No goddamn Robert Culp anymore. :arghfist::(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Whithouse has written really good stories before which makes Lie of the Land so confusing. School Reunion remains one of my favorites, even if only for the scene of Sarah Jane seeing the TARDIS again for the first time in decades :hellyeah:

School Reunion is definitely a favorite but I watched it again recently and the plot is ugggghhhh :jerkbag: up there with the Monks. So I don’t think I’d personally call it a good story .

All the Sarah Jane stuff is so awesome though it just powers through past the plot like Brian Blessed charging through a scene.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 11, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

“Hi, Captain Jack Harkness” *extends hand*

“STOP IT. “

Always awesome. :allears:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Seriously, at this point the poor woman deserves a nice long rest.

I was listening to the making of Dark Eyes ... 4 I think? The one she was in. Anyway, she says that there’s Doctor Who playing non stop on her TV and it’s the major conversation around the house and how it all gets a bit much sometimes. But she wasn’t hating on it at all.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

After The War posted:

I've always said that the First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom means that every opinion has to be held by somebody, no matter how incomprehensible, and here's the proof.

I can't get my head around the concept of the Ace Era not being awesome. It just... falls out of my brain.

I dislike Ace. There I said it.

I guess that proves the rule because I know how much people love her.

But I guess the real test is if we can find someone who loves ... Mel.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think Five's era is more unwatchable than Seven's, although Six's definitely takes the cake.

Six would be terrible if not for Trial of a Timelord.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rhyno posted:

People have died for saying less.

Well sort of half joke since Trial is literally half his tenure but his first season is a little... iffy. Keep in mind I don’t mean Baker himself I mean the writing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I got to meet Michael Jayston* this weekend and I got outfoxed with my own bad joke.

MJ: [talking about Colin Baker] He’s the real McCoy.
Me: No that was a different Doctor. :haw:
MJ: Yes! I love Star Trek too! :master:
:allears:

*and also Cbake, Capaldi, Michelle Gomez, Nicola Bryant, and Matthew Waterhouse. Cbake was awesome. We had a lovely talk about Big Finish and Nick Briggs. Life is good.

PS: during Gomez’s talk she let slip that she did a BF audio as Missy going up against River Song. :swoon: should be out soon. I don’t think she was supposed to do that.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 25, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

Colin Baker seems like an almost criminally nice guy to Doctor Who fans. Like, he should be under arrest for the amount of incredible good will he radiates for a show he was unceremoniously booted from through no fault of his own.

Colin is super incredibly nice. Lisa Greenwood and him were at our table at the meet-n-greet and everyone else was talking with her, so he just turned to me and started chatting. It was great. Lisa was also really sweet. I’ve got to make a point to buy their audios. I don’t have enough BF six.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Holy poo poo. They give that much away? Thank god I never watch those. That Master reveal was loving amazing. I never saw it coming. Right up there with Derek Jacobi.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

I never read or look at any spoilers before a season starts (which makes it particularly galling when somebody openly posts one here and complains,"But EVERYBODY already knows!") but I always watch the "NEXT TIME" trailers for some good old fashioned hype for the next week. Right at the start of the season they revealed in the trailer at the end of Pilot that there would be Mondasian Cybermen, and that Simm was coming back. So yes it was an extremely exciting and pretty big holy gently caress moment, but that and the trailer at the end of The Eaters of Light did undercut the impact of his reveal in World Enough and Time. I can't imagine how amazing it would have been to have it come out of the blue like the Jacobi reveal largely did for me back in season 3.

Though they also managed to blindside me in other ways in the next episode, happily.

Yeah it was right up there with that moment. The Martha season was the first year I went on spoiler lockdown because I was annoyed I knew about the Cybermen vs Daleks in Doomsday. After that I’ve tried to do that every year because of moments like these. I didn’t even know about the Mondasian Cybermen but I kind of saw part of it coming so my thoughts went like this:

Well I guess they’re going to retcon the Cybermen creation I guess that’s okay after Age of Steel but I don’t know why they would...

Oh Missy is digging into the computer maybe she’s going to see what’s going on and turns bad again and ...

Wait... MONDAS? :aaa:

Wait... who is this guy in the .... ::suspense:: ... no ... they didn’t .... did they?

:tviv:

On a semi-related note at the con this weekend I met the guy who wrote Dalek and was able to finally find out the truth behind the title. I always suspected the episode wasn’t supposed to have such a giveaway title given the way the Dalek was revealed. So I asked him if he had a different title in mind and he said “well, yeah early on I did and you know the BBC sort of wanted to have the word Dalek in the title given that the Daleks weren’t even supposed to come back in the new series so they kind of wanted to make a big deal...” and looked a little sheepish.

Unfortunately I forget now what he wanted to call it. :negative:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah it was generic like The Collector or In the Vault or something like that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

EGGS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVwXa4MnJDs

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 31, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hahaha “pound store Zathras”. At some point during the episode I looked at my wife and said, “Not the one .... not the one”

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fail to make “there can be only one” joke. 2/5

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

God it must run in the family. Got on a crowded elevator at the last con and made “boy this sure isn’t bigger on the inside” jokes. Elevator stopped and we all parted to let the guy in the back corner out.

It was Peter Davidson. Quiet as a mouse.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

Like next season!

Explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Chokes McGee posted:

I hope this was meant to be read in a dalek voice because that’s how I heard it.

IT IS... NOWW

• Locked thread