Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Under the Lake was very good, it didn't stick the landing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Much like a parrot it looks amazing from the side and goofy from the front

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

The War Games is quite fun I remember

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alternatively just watch The War Games

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The War Games is quite fun I remember

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Alternatively just watch The War Games

marktheando posted:

Well both those stories are great so I’ll order both of them!

Good call

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

>:( it's not that serial!!!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s silly. Regeneration doesn’t work like tha...

surely

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Fourth Doctor regenerated on the 28th February 1981

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also, seeing the types of people who attend doctor who fan conventions, I now have little-to-no interest in attending a doctor who fan convention.

Yeah, I don't want to meet Peter Harness either

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

State of Decay is really cool and good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I had a dream I was WATCHING an episode on Jago & Litefoot :(

What, Talons?

Servoret posted:

Deadly Assassin. The first and only good “Doctor goes to Gallifrey” episode, plus I’m not super-keen on Tom Baker’s last season. Right between Sarah Jane and Leela is a pretty great time in comparison.

Counterpoint: TDA is the reason that the rot set in with the Time Lords

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

New logo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Goodnight, sweet sadistic henching toady. Peter Miles, aka Nyder from Genesis, passed away

Also Dr Lawrence and Professor Whitaker!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I caught some of the McCoy run, had a few videos (including the Seeds of Death and Day of the Daleks), and then got into the programme properly in 1992 when they had a run of stories on BBC2.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shutting up and acting like all working conditions are great is how all working conditions become poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Yes, he's a saint because he quit Doctor Who before it aired in defense of the working downtrodden poor. :rolleyes:

There seems to be a perspective with him. At first everybody slammed him for quitting. Then people jumped to defend him with "How DARE you! You FAN! You don't own these actors!" Then it came out that there was some incident or incidents where something vauge happened that was bad to some people on set and he started hinting he quit over that. Now he's some sort of canonized working class hero and you can't criticize him.

Maybe he did, but him saying that he was a "whore" for doing GI Joe and Thor and was suicidal daily just going to work on those has nothing to do with with any of that. If I was a downtrodden working little guy on those movies who worked hard and was proud of my work, I probably wouldn't like those comments.

Oh please.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Jenny, with both the significance of the character and the actress to the franchise was a no-brainer to return. Seems like they're mining the depths with Lady Christina.

Jenny was not a significant character to the franchise

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

She was significant in that she was a genetic clone of the main character, with Gallifreyan DNA (at the time when the entire species but one was extinct). She was only the second person related to him we ever saw onscreen in 50 years. And she was shown at then end excitedly going off on new adventures in a way that practically screamed "I HAVE AN EXCITING STORY COMING UP AND YOU'LL WANT TO SEE MORE OF ME!"

Moffat suggested to RTD that she didn't die because he thought her dying would be too cliche.

The actress wasn't that significant either (can you remember, without checking, what the names of the characters that David Troughton played were? And which episodes they were in? How about Michael Troughton?)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Maelstache posted:

Fairly significant when you remember she was Peter Davison's daughter, who then went and married David Tennant, thereby creating a bewildering temporal anomaly where the Tenth Doctor is now the Fifth's son-in-law and the father of his grandchild.

Tenant and Moffett met filming The Doctor's Daughter, so when the casting happened only one of those was true :p

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jenny's marginally better for a spinoff because the character was merely bland rather than being actively bad. I'm not sure what sales figures has to do with any of that, though. Do I not get an opinion if an audio play sells sufficiently well?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, the guy has royally trashed just about every schlocky big budget project he's been attached to in the last decade. There may well be a common deniminator here, and its name just might be *hristopher *celston....

How dare anyone criticise the artistic tour de forces of *checks notes* GI Joe and Thor 2?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GI Joe was bad at being a GI Joe film, which is not a very high bar

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not, I'm just saying I seem to have to wrack my brain to come up with any time Eceleston has ever said anything positive about almost anything he's been attached to.

You don't think this might be because you only hear about what Eccleston thinks of a project when it's negative? "That job was ok" is in no way newsworthy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Counterpoint: there's a lot of really good stuff in McCoy's run (less so Colin's)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If anything I'd say the problems of the Sixth and Seventh are the exact opposite, that they take the conceit far too seriously

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

When Doctor Who fandom was still small enough to have received wisdom, the received wisdom was that absolutely everything from the Trial onwards was embarrassing garbage and attempting to swim against that tide was the second-most surefire way to start a passionate and obnoxious flame war. Kids these days, never heard anyone call him "Sillybugger McCoy" and think they were being clever, you don't know you're born.

(This was also back in the day when one had flame wars.)

Don't forget how this attitude interacted with the New Adventures :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also as we're talking about avatars I love that whoever bought this one kept it On Brand

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Maelstache posted:

If we're talking newsgroups, I think it was more a few insanely dedicated shitlords who would never, ever shut up about how lame McCoy was.

Thank goodness for google's news archives so we can relive this golden era again. :suicide:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.drwho/dburns$20mccoy%7Csort:date/rec.arts.drwho/pXgzVbglXsU/bjBFxEVkegIJ

That's from 2008

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Which was the worst NuWho spinoff: Class, or that Aussie thing with K-9

(Sarah Jane Adventures was fine if not my cup of tea, and Torchwood exists in its' own dimension of terribleness, so I didn't list them)

K-9 wasn't a NuWho spinoff, it was Bob Baker (who created K-9) cashing in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

So, when people recommend Kinda as a standout of the 5th Doctor's era...is that meant to be some kind of cruel joke?

Kinda

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

loving sue me

I thought that was going to be trap sprung but guess not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Adric's main problem is that the writers didn't really know what to do with him, especially early on when he was inserted into scripts after they were written, which meant that he joins the villains annoyingly often. His other problem is that some (looking at you, Terence Dudley) confuse "precocious genius" with "massive sexist".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

dalek voice MY WIFE

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

I didn't expect the whole "he's right behind me" pantomime schtick to be so good, but by God, it delivered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_Nm9Iw7tI

This is the final variant of that gag

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

420 Post "Web of Caves" Erryday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNgIJ38ad0&t=222s

Seriously, I can only hear that in David Williams' voice.

Why is channel 4 blocking something owned by and shown on the bbc

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Anybody check in with Mad Larry lately?

Lawrence Miles is a left wing pro diversity type; a large part of the reason people know about him is because his main reaction to the second episode of the revival was "Hey this is a bit anti-immigrant and racist, isn't it?" which everyone thought was weird in the world of 2005 but in retrospect we should have listened to him. Thinking he'd hate the new programme because it has a lady and black people involved is pretty odd

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

The best year of Doctor Who in terms of sustained quality is clearly Pertwee's first year, fight me

It is.

5 is also very strong, as is 26; 14 is comparable to 13.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

It is a hackneyed joke, every Sci Fi show set in the future has done something similar.

I mean Doctor Who did it very well in 1965

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Watched The Mind Robber's commentary today while tidying, they're all great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

WAR GAMES WAR GAMES WAR GAMES

The Terror of the Zygons commentary suffers from being a bit too "ooh that's a good effect, yes this is a great story, wonderful", not very good. The Ark in Space is much better.

• Locked thread