Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The solution is obvious: In the off-season we have a 6-8 episode season of "The Eighth Doctor" starring Paul McGann. I even wrote up a business plan for the BBC, which I'll share with you all now:

quote:

It would kick enormous amounts of rear end if there was a 6-8 episode season each year of "The Eighth Doctor" starring Paul McGann. Thank you.

It's an airtight argument.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: There's nothing unique about Charley

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Charley try to return to 1930s Earth but find themselves on a nameless planet occupied by savages who cannot think and a documentary crew filming them for alien benefactors. When ANOTHER Charley shows up, the 6th Doctor takes a leaf out of the 8th Doctor's book.

What Worked/What Didn't:
  • + The setup. I love the idea of a planet where the inhabitants have lost "civilization" and can barely string more than a few words together before flying into a rage, and the quiet desperation of the "crew" set up in little compounds around the globe entirely reliant on regular shipments of drugs to maintain their own intelligence. Is the paranoia, simmering rage and clear personal resentments of the various characters a suitable reaction to what is happening, or just a sign that the drugs are wearing off? Can you even trust your own feelings when you may just be falling apart mentally? Best of all it happens gradually (but the speed does pick-up) so there are several great moments where you (and the other characters) realize that characters who are argumentative or debating a point are actually becoming more and more unhinged and in turn more dangerous.

• + The Viyrans. For once these guys are actually effectively used. Before now the writing has never really lived up to the notion that they're some amazing higher power within the universe that even the Time Lords don't know much about; which coincidentally is another pet peeve of mine, for masters of all time and space the Time Lords sure seem to not know a lot. But here they are extremely well written as detached and callously efficient. They are without morality, there only concern is to complete the mission they have been given by an unknown force: to wipe out all the viruses unleashed by the Dalek Time Controller in Patient Zero. That they made a mistake in their attempts to do this on Earth, and the eventual reveal of just how slim the chances of the actual virus actually doing anything are... well it works very well to demonstrate their instrinsic alien nature. These things have nothing in common with human sensibilities or concerns, a completely different morality and a perspective on acceptable losses that makes them monstrous in an entirely different way than the Daleks, and more akin to how the Cybermen SHOULD be written but rarely are.

• + The Doctor's solution. For most of the story, the Doctor is kept separate from both Charleys as well as the Viyrans. The man most capable of fixing everything is kept away from the main players, dealing with the supporting characters and doing what he can to escape the compound as everything falls apart. This is necessary because the drama has to be developed and they can't do that if the Doctor is just there to sort it all out. There is a neat clashing of philosophies as the Doctor struggles to find a cure for the virus while the Viyrans' look to just wipe the experiment "clear", but what is most admirable is how the Doctor takes onboard and adapts to the new information as it comes in. Even when it is something as bizarre as learning there are TWO Charleys, or trying to wrap his head around Charley's true origin, or learning just what the Viyrans have done (and not done). Best of all is when he learns that Charley (mistakenly believes she) saw his final death, and his reaction is a comforting,"Everybody dies v:shobon:v". Colin Baker, as always, does a marvelous job as his desperation builds but he refuses to accept that there are no better solutions. And he finds one, of course, even if that just ends up exposing a whole other problem.

• - The two Charleys. While the sheer vitriol both have for the other is amusing, this conclusion to the "Imposter Charley" arc is as underwhelming as the rest of the arc was, because in all honesty it made no difference which was which. The whole thing was terribly mishandled, as "Mila" proved to be a non-character in every sense. Her complete co-opting of Charley's existence meant that the "fake" Charley was just the regular Charley 99.9% of the time, and the other 0.01% felt contrived, like the writers suddenly remembered they were supposed to be different people. Even the catharsis of their eventual confrontation is immediately sidelined because of the events of the story, and if anything they seem to reconcile when to be perfectly honest Mila does not deserve redemption in the slightest. This "mystery" barely even got started before it was over, and nothing really came of it.

• - Nothing matters. While it's hardly unique to this story, the solution to the events of the story is to essentially negate everything that happened. Every major change, every death, every noble sacrifice or horrible consequence is wiped out by the Doctor's solution. The sop for this is supposed to be in the deeper personal loss the Doctor, Charley and Mila suffer but it can't help but come across as a case of,"Nothing you just heard ultimately meant anything."

• + Charley knows the 8th Doctor :laugh: - With the story over, the issue remains that it was time for India Fisher to part ways from this particular range of Big Finish audios, though they leave things open for a spin-off audio series. In what feels almost like a little meta-joke, Charley's solution for how to preserve the web of time AND keep the 6th Doctor safe from the Viyrans is to give him amnesia, perhaps so he'll be used to the notion when he becomes the 8th Doctor. It's also a sweet (if undeserved) end for Mila, who fills in the spaces in the Doctor's memory where Charley used to be.

Final Thoughts:

Blue Forgotten Planet is a good story with neat concepts and the best use so far of the usually underwhelming Viyrans. But as a resolution to the ill-handled two Charley's storyarc it doesn't offer much other than a sweet coda and a somewhat unsatisfying,"None of this actually happened now" resolution to the threat of the main plot. Colin Baker is as good as ever and I'll miss India Fisher and her wonderful voice, but their unexpected pairing never really quite worked or had the chemistry she had with Paul McGann. It does mark the end of an era however, and I'm keen to see where they go next with Baker's Doctor... though wherever it is and whoever it is with, I imagine Colin Baker will be worth the price of admission as always.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the 80s the budgets were notoriously cut, and it was a common joke even at the time that the whole thing was cheap (I remember a lot of,"Oh no, a man with a paper bag on his head!" monster jokes whenever Doctor Who came up in other media) which I guess built to a point that "cheap and wobbly" became accepted as what Doctor Who was now and had ALWAYS been.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clara really did suffer from jumping in halfway through Matt Smith's last season (I can't remember, did they know it was his last season at the time?) and I agree that she really didn't come into her own until she was with Capaldi. Which makes it ironic that a large part of that first season was Clara struggling to accept the loss of 11.

I'm excited for the entirely fresh start but I am sad that Bill Potts only got one season. On the other hand, like Donna she never got a chance to outlive her welcome so she'll probably always be fondly remembered. As much as I loved Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill they were hurt by sticking around half a season longer than they needed to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Amy and Rory had a great send-off at the end of season 6, and even a really lovely cameo in the otherwise dreadful Christmas Special for that year. Bringing them back for more felt like a mistake, even if the chemistry was intact and it was neat seeing more of them.

It'll always be a case of "What if..?" but I can't help but think that given a full season to work on it, they could have made the 11/Clara relationship work better than it did in the barely half a season they had to bring her in and resolve the "mystery".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I've been listening to the first series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures and really like it so far. "The Wrath of the Iceni" is extremely good. The rest are fine so far, but that one stands out. Tom sounds like he's having a lot of fun in all of them too.

It's funny, I found most of the actual stories slightly underwhelming but overall I really enjoyed the first season as a whole, purely based on the chemistry between Tom and Louise, and the actual proper development of the Doctor/Leela education subplot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time for your semi-regular reminder that this loving ruled, does rule, and always will rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I've seen people heap praise on series 9 in some corners of the net and I don't get it at all. By the time the zygon episodes came around I was relieved at how politically iffy they were because Christ at least there was something about them that was interesting.

I was convinced there was something more to it and it was all gonna make a lot of sense in retrospect.

When it was all done, it.... kinda did. Sorta. A little. Maybe? ....but not really :sigh:

But gently caress it we got Heaven Sent out of it so in the end it was all worth it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

Outside of the others already mentioned, I'm a big fan of The Brain of Morbius, because they're all enjoying Philip Madoc so much :allears:

TinTower posted:

"You know, I really think you might." :tviv:

God drat did the 50th rule, from start to finish I was just so happy :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I enjoy this scene but I'm completely baffled by it from a narrative standpoint.

The narrative/plot/continuity reasons are all,"It's the 50th and we've got Tom Baker so goddammit we're gonna use him."

I fully support, applaud and embrace this line of thinking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I really thought the Leela yo-yo scene from Robots of Death was the one where the Doctor explained how the TARDIS was bigger-on-the-inside with a tautology, but I'm wrong (although it is a great scene). Does anyone remember what I mean? I think it might be in The Talons of Weng-Chiang? I swear it's the Fourth Doctor, but maybe I'm wrong. It'd be totally up Two's alley, maybe Six's.

The one with the two boxes? That's definitely from Robots of Death like you say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnKXOGYKM8

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was a big fan of Moffat and feel he got unfairly criticized in a lot of cases (and fairly in others) but I am really looking forward to not having gigantic gaps in production because of an inability to budget appropriately.

I mean, I'm assuming Chibnal is good at that since he seemed to have a pretty tight handle on Broadchurch, anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Ambassadors? At this time of day? At this time of year? In this part of the country, localized entirely within those space suits?

....yes!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

May I see them?

No.

NOT THE MIND PROBE! :byodood:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right, at the time the initial plan was that RTD would leave but Tennant would stay for Moffat's first season, presumably because there was a fear the audiences would leave if RTD and Tennant were to both go at the same time. Then Tennant decided he might as well make it a clean break so Moffat had to rush down into his basement and stitch together a body so Wendy Padbury could summon Patrick Troughton's spirit to occupy it, and everything turned out for the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It seems like a great piece of writing, but the whole speech is actually just what Tom Baker says to any passerby he meets.

Yeah and it rules.

I just remembered the time Jon Culshaw rang up Sylvester McCoy while imitating Tom Baker to ask him really bizarre out-of-nowhere questions, and McCoy's reaction suggested that maybe this isn't the first time he's had a call like this :allears:

He also rang Tom Baker while pretending to be Tom Baker, and Tom seemed completely onboard with the idea that this is something that might happen :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, and as Culshaw started going into techno-babble about how this was possible, Tom was just nodding along and asking how he could help :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I always rather fancied Davros you know...." :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well yeah of course that happened, that's... wait, WHAT!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm just glad I never knew until years after I watched it that it was all supposed to be a meta-narrative on the show, it's fans, the BBC, Mary Whitehouse and even elements of Star Trek. I had fun with it and McCoy belittling the Old Gods and tearing them down was good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely an incomprehensible mess, but if you can start to get it, there's a good story going on underneath all the confusion.

Yeah, there is a ton of interesting stuff in there but it's absolutely jam-packed even without all the stuff they cut (and only exists in the original recording footage with the timecodes burnt in, from memory?) which makes it a bit of a mess.

I'd still classify it as an extremely good story though, and one of 7's better ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

Battlefield is great. The only bad McCoys are Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

I really like Silver Nemesis.

Don't ask me to justify it, I can't, it's objectively awful, but for some reason I liked it when it first aired, taped it on VHS and rewatched it over and over and over again v:shobon:v

CobiWann posted:

I thought people didn't care for Delta and the Bannermen?

When most people see it airing, they depart... WITH A SCREAM! but some people can bring themselves to almost only think it's kinda awful.

Rirse posted:

Dang, I hit all the Jerusalem reviews for the 12th Doctor. Those were good and I hope you do the rest of season 10.

I absolutely will, it looks like Lick is wrapped up in his (very fun) Every Story Ever roulette over in BSS, so I'll probably just start up again by myself from the Monk Trilogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

At this hotel that I'm using their free WiFi I sat down and literally three feet away from me Steven Moffat was there.

That's aweso-

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Next to him was peter harness.

Oh no! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

Dang, I ran out of episodes of Doctor Who to watch from the revival after starting it shortly after watching Twice Upon a Time and ending with the same episode tonight. Still want to try to watch some classic Doctor Who, I might wait a while before I do that. In the meantime, time to play the waiting game for the new season.

I keep reminding myself I once only got to see one "episode" across a 15 year period, but it's still rough having to wait for more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: A Doctor and Nurse go on their Holidays together

Long Synopsis: The Doctor's search for perspective takes him to World War 1, 1970s London, an alien sanitarium and a Dalek occupied planet, while a large scale plot begins, progresses and completes around him without much input from him required.

What Worked/What Didn't:
  • + The premise. Playing off the end of the 8th Doctor Adventures, the Doctor decides to head to the end of the universe and the end of time itself. It's assumed by others that he intends suicide, or perhaps permanent exile, but as he explains he's simply looking for perspective, or rather hope. He wants to go to the end of everything so he can look back and figure out if all the death and destruction was outweighed by whatever good there was. So the entire story is permeated with this sense of the Doctor looking for reinvigorated purpose, which goes some way to explaining his at-times uncharacteristic passiveness. Despite himself he finds himself having fun, enjoying the thrill of being chased and having a problem to tackle, but at other times he's brought back by his sense of guilt and despair from recent events, as well as his anger about being directed by the Time Lords. Even if you're unfamiliar with the EDAs that preceded/set-up this story, the context is provided by the dialogue without feeling overly expository

• - Bill & Ted. The comedy movie had a lot of fun with the notion of Time Travel, especially in the second film where they ultimately defeat the bad guy because... they were always going to defeat the bad guy. Even when he turned their own tricks against them it is irrelevant because since they were always going to win, obviously everything he set up was set up by THEM to fool him. It works well because it's a comedy, the time travel is there purely in service of that comedy, and nobody but an insane person is going to expect a movie like that to put too much effort into making sure time travel works logically. Only insane people expect that of Doctor Who too, but plenty of Doctor Who fans are insane and I guess I'm one of them, because this aspect of Dark Eyes drove me nuts. The Daleks have built a Relativity Map, something which only the Time Lords should have and even then something they would use relatively rarely. With it, they are able to track wherever anybody is, was or ever will be at any given time. Which leads to odd moments in the story like when the Doctor takes Molly back centuries to an enslaved Dalek planet so they can learn what the bad guys are doing before they do it, only to be rumbled by said bad guys who decide not to do anything because (paraphrased): "In the future our plan must be working so they must fail to stop us now, therefore trying to stop them is pointless and might actually cause us to fail in the future". It feels like it is trying to be clever but doesn't quite pull it off. There's more stuff like that too, including somebody attempting to commit suicide, and the final showdown between the villain and a supporting character that makes you realize the whole thing has largely been mental masturbation.

• + Molly Sullivan. Molly is great. There are elements of Lucie Bleeding Miller to her, which is important as the Doctor needs to bond with her and this similarity helps, but while she is outspoken and confident, she's also very much a character in her own right. An Irish maid who joined her mistress in volunteering to give aid to soldiers in World War I, Molly is no-nonsense and serious but not to the point of being a stick in the mud. She can have fun when she wants, and takes a great deal of pleasure in needling the Doctor, but she also doesn't put up with fools and is adamant in her sense of morality. Plus Ruth Bradley's Irish accent is a delight, and her character's take on the technological marvels of the future feels almost natural - she is perhaps more amazed to discover the Doctor's "house" (a follow-up from a previous Big Finish audio) has electricity than she is by her initial entrance into the TARDIS (or Tardy Box, as she calls it). There is also a well-handled element of "what is her mystery" going on, something probably borrowed from the way the companions were going over on the television side of things. Even with all that having worn a bit thin by the time I write this, I still found it refreshingly well done, because the mystery of her "Dark Eyes" was always secondary to the writing of her as an actual character, something that Moffat didn't always get right. Molly's final scene with the Doctor is very well done too, and made it feel like if this was the only time Molly would appear in Big Finish, that it was okay. It seems she actually sticks around for more though, which is just as welcome.

• - The Time Lords. I find 98% of Time Lords' appearances in ANY media to be underwhelming at best, actively lovely at worst. I'm not a fan of the politics, and especially not of the attempts to write particular characters as genius arch-manipulators whose actions/characters don't live up to their so-called status. It was a problem when they introduced the Rani all those years ago on television and it's a problem today - you can't make somebody a genius or the "ultimate strategist" if the only evidence that exists is that you keep insisting they are. A character especially guilty of this is Straxus, and I even dislike his name so I feel like he's just designed to irritate me. All he is, is a (admittedly VERY) good voice delivering his lines with oily, detached arrogance that none of his actions or "strategies" ever warrants. That this goober could so casually and easily outsmart/trick the Doctor multiple times through the story is just annoying, especally as it largely has no resolution/point, or at least not one that I was in any way invested in. Given that all this was supposed to string the whole story together, it ended up detracting from it for me.

• + Toby Jones. Jones' character of X could (literally!) be just as guilty as everything I just accused Straxus of, with one major difference. Though I have no problem with Peter Egan since it is the writing that bugs me, Jones is just a much better actor and is able to transcend any poor qualities the writing might have. Again, that isn't a knock against Egan, very few actors out there could say,"Well I am upset you think Toby Jones is better than me" because... well, he is! Jones plays X, a character with access to Time Travel, a loathing of the Time Lords, a surprisingly degree of authority over the Daleks, and a VERY long-term plan to use the Doctor and Molly to prevent the Time Lords from having ever existed. He joined by the Dalek Time Controller, which survived its death because by its very nature it exists outside of regular time and is able to essentially "reset" following death with all the knowledge of the events that lead to its failure. The two have good chemistry, made all the more interesting because ANYBODY having chemistry with a Dalek is an eye-opener. But then, that's Toby Jones! The only downside is that it appears he's killed off pretty decisively by the end, but then I don't have a problem imagining that Jones would probably be too busy to commit to more regular appearances. I just enjoyed what I got, so far he's two-from-two from what I've seen/heard playing Doctor Who villains, first as the Dream Lord and now as X.

• - The Doctor's "irrelevance". While there is a ton going on that is very important character-wise for the 8th Doctor, and the growing bond between himself and Molly is vital to the overall story... the Doctor's actual relevance to the main plot is almost non-existant. Every part of X's scheme and Straxus' counter-scheme happens largely without his input or even a required presence. Even the big showdown between the two mostly has the Doctor standing around making snippy comments about how dumb the whole thing is and how he doesn't want any part of it. The major wrenches thrown into their schemes come from a third party entirely (though it's neat to see Ian Cullen, Ixta from The Aztecs in that role) and then when all is said and done and it's just the Doctor and Molly left standing, I was left thinking,"Well, why was the Doctor even needed?" - yeah he was tangentially, but even X himself admits that adding the Doctor to the scheme was a major gamble because he was so unpredictable even with the Relativity Map, and surely while the Doctor is more accessible than most Time Lords, he could have found somebody else? I list this as a negative but I don't want to undersell just how enjoyable the Doctor/Molly interactions are, and how good the Doctor in each of the different environments he ends up are. The train escape in World War I; fleeing through the streets of London (a largely wasted setting/premise with the early AI too); his slowly dawning realization of what the pain in his head is; clambering down the giant drillhole etc - it's all great. It just feels detached from what is supposed to be THE main plot.

Final Thoughts:

Dark Eyes got a ton of praise when it first came out, and it is a story I have felt bad about waiting so long to listen to. Now that I have, the hype feels a little overblown. It's very good, but it's not the end-all and be-all of Doctor Who stories. Released roughly a year before Day of the Doctor, the behind the scenes features have a couple of bits that are very interesting with the benefit of hindsight, with McGann pondering how much he would love to reprise the role on TV even if only for a small thing (Night of the Doctor) and Nick Briggs poking fun at the notion of a Time War story, saying it would be dreadfully boring and even worse as audio, then admitting this might come back to bite him on the rear end at some point. As the introduction to a new character (potentially), and as an examination of the fallout of the end of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, it works very well however. Throw in a great performance by Toby Jones, plenty of Daleks and some neat settings and you have a story that is very easy to listen to and will ultimately leave you satisfied... at least it did me. Yeah there are problems, and the villain's schemes (and the counter-schemes to those schemes) have holes you could drive a truck through... but I've heard a lot worse, and this story at its worst is still very good. I certainly want to see where they go from here with the follow-ups, and hope that Molly will be back in spite of her clean exit at the end of the story. The 8th Doctor has had two brilliant companions in Charley and Lucie, and I'm hoping Molly will be another.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the bonus features are amazing on the classic Who DVDs. No reason any blu-ray collection couldn't have those too of course.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

City of Death is really good

The cliffhanger where Scarlioni shows up somewhere he absolutely should not be AND asks the Doctor by name what he is doing there is one of the best cliffhangers the show has ever done. I still remember my reaction the first time I saw it :vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ehhh I'm not really feeling that log-

Nevermind now I love it :)

Edit: Those loving boots :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The jump in visual quality from RTD to Moffat (helped by the shift to HD plus Moffat blowing the entire loving budget) was pretty big, but so far everything done under Chibnal's watch has had an amazing stylized feel that I am absolutely loving.

I cannot wait to see how it comes across in an actual full episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I need this as a wallpaper for my PC, stat.

Seriously, there is a wider version being used as their Twitter banner but it looks blown up, I really want a good quality high-res widescreen image to throw into my wallpaper rotation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Ugh. That one felt really creepy and not in a good way. Like suddenly someone’s vore fetish intruded in my Doctor who.

But it’s pretty well regarded so v :( v

It's a story I absolutely loved, though I think a large part of what made it work for me is that I listened to the bulk of it while walking home late one night in the rain, and that really put me in the right mood.

Unfortunately if you think THIS story feels like somebody's fetish got shoved into a Doctor Who story, you're REALLY going to hate Creed of the Kromon (which you should, because it is a dogshit story).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

The only reason this isn't the worst Big Finish story I've ever heard is because I've had the singular misfortune of listening to Nekromantica. I have no idea if that's the correct spelling and I care even less.

Oh yeah, gently caress that story. gently caress it in the ear. Goddammit I wish I didn't remember it exists now.

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to figure out what the hell is wrong with the guy who wrote Nekromanteia and now I'm even more confused. :stare:

"The rear end in a top hat Who Wrote Nekromanteia posted: posted:

I also like comedy. I'm not saying that [Nekrmoanteia] is comedy - it isn't - but it hopefully has a bit of whimsy in it, which I think is typically Doctor Who.

Jesus Christ. Was this the story where Peter Davison told Big Finish he never wanted the writer to EVER work for them again?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I've only ever seen that posted in this thread, but it does get mentioned here, and he doesn't seem to have worked for Big Finish (in a writing capacity) since then. He looks like he's some kind of tech guru, so he may have been someone helping them with the sound engineering who walked in with a script one day.

Austen Atkinson: So last night I was thinking of Nicola Bryant naked, bathing in oi-
Nick Briggs walks into room
Austen Atkinson: Uhhhh.... in the story I wrote about.... uhhh... cannibal witches fighting a war against corporations to protect their vampire God! ....yeah, that'll do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah it didn't come up often but I'm fairly certain Liz Sladen was like 4 inches tall :kimchi:

HopperUK posted:

K9 was also there. I patted his nose when his handler wasn't looking. Perfect crime.

K9 knew, K9 let it happen :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Is it true that the next series starts in October? Are we really waiting another eight months?

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

it's actually just a courier who empties his pockets so that moths fly out.

JNT: Oh man they finally put the budget up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

If it's from Moffat, there wouldn't be a note. Instead, when opening the truck, it would be empty but a recording of a creepy childrens' choir would play:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
Tick tock, and on this rhyme
I spent all the money

The twist is... there actually was no rhyme at all, he just made it up! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Don't take out your credit card. Don't log into your bank, don't even reach for your wallet. If you value your life, don't even look for that gift card your mother left in your Christmas stocking. They can sense it when a product nears a cash register. They feel an item going into an online cart like you or I can feel the wind on our faces on a warm day. And the second money exchanges hands, the instant you've made your purchase, you've bought them too. You've bought all of them. And you'll live to have buyer's remorse... for eternity.

"The Big Finish" does kinda sound like a Doctor Who villain, I guess. From the RTD years, anyway.

Davros1 posted:

Goodnight, sweet sadistic henching toady. Peter Miles, aka Nyder from Genesis, passed away

Aww, that's a pity. He was really great in Genesis.

• Locked thread