Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Dalek voice*

Rosie ball. Ro-sie ball! RO-SIE BALL!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

iTunes has it but you would need to buy it.

You can also buy it through Amazon Prime, it just isn't free yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't get the Last Christmas hatred. I really like it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I really like Last Christmas, and thought that was the thread consensus? :confused:

Ah, I misread your post as "You would still have last Christmas?" as in "Do you really want to save that one?"

Hang on, let's consult the chart for what our hostile hivemind will say to newcomers when they watch it for the first time. Is this one of the shibboleth episodes? :ninja:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Refuse to believe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I decided to finish up CLASS and uh, this was a terrible idea.

Would the show be good to watch in a group, with booze, and riff on?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Watching this show in a group might incite a riot.

Eegh. I have some friends who are planning a double feature "watch something actually horribly bad/something enjoyably bad" and riff on it together for the summer months, but there's stuff that's riffable and there's stuff that makes everybody just want to murder someone. I think Doctor Who covers the whole spectrum :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I enjoy this scene but I'm completely baffled by it from a narrative standpoint.

I think you're kind of supposed to be. The Fourth Doctor basically shows up and says "Oh, by the way, I'm still here, after all this time...or maybe I'm not? It's terribly tiring, this whole Schrodinger's Doctor business. :haw: Anyway, so nice to meet you, or meet me, or not to exist at all. Jellybaby?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really thought the Leela yo-yo scene from Robots of Death was the one where the Doctor explained how the TARDIS was bigger-on-the-inside with a tautology, but I'm wrong (although it is a great scene). Does anyone remember what I mean? I think it might be in The Talons of Weng-Chiang? I swear it's the Fourth Doctor, but maybe I'm wrong. It'd be totally up Two's alley, maybe Six's.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The Sixth Doctor is Space Frasier.

To K-9: Will you stop staring at me?
Will: Hey, Doc, check out this new chair I found for the TARDIS!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

i have been watching a LOT of frasier lately

I started a rewatch in memory of John Mahoney. It's weird to watch the first season, where David Hyde Pierce is so nervous, Jane Leeves was obviously told to play up her accent, and you can actually see the hangover on Kelsey Grammer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Was RTD unable to budget correctly as well or was there some creative reason for why we only got 4 eps that one year?

Davies wanted a gap year to allow the new production team some time and had already informed the BBC he wouldn't produce a fifth season, which also gave Tennant some time to do Shakespeare.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The Sixth Doctor is Space Frasier.

The Master: Hey, who the hell took my fluid link? My fluid link was right here. *slamming fists on console* THIS STINKS!! THIS IS TOTAL BS!! THI- oh, here it is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It seems like a great piece of writing, but the whole speech is actually just what Tom Baker says to any passerby he meets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

He also rang Tom Baker while pretending to be Tom Baker, and Tom seemed completely onboard with the idea that this is something that might happen :)

Wasn't the conversation something like:

Culshaw: Hello, this is the Doctor.
Tom: I believe you're mistaken, I'm the Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I remember Ghost Light to be an incomprehensible mess that seemed like it was trying to cash in on the Rocky Horror craze but I haven’t watched it in years so maybe I’m misremembering.

It's definitely an incomprehensible mess, but if you can start to get it, there's a good story going on underneath all the confusion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Weird loving thing I was wondering about on the drive to work today:

Like, Seven obviously died in San Francisco 1999.

Eight died on Karn but what year???

Nine died on the TARDIS in the year 200,100.

Etc. etc. Is there a chronological list of all the time periods and places the The Doctor has died and regenerated at/in?

The First Doctor died in the 1980s, or some alternate version of them in which we were being invaded by Cybermen.

The Second Doctor died in Gallifrey's era (no one knows when that is).

The Third Doctor died during the UNIT dating controversy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm finally listening to some Big Finish this weekend. Apparently I was on The Demons of Red Lodge and Other Stories. It's okay so far, although it feels a bit too fast-paced for what they were going for. Good to get back to it all, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, the first story in the Second Doctor Boxset sure is... something. :stare: Dick Sharples must have had a chronic case of horniness while writing it, and Guerrier, unfortunately, caught it somehow before adapting it. I'm amazed that Wendy Padbury could get through half of the descriptions of skin-tight outfits without laughing out loud.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also, seeing the types of people who attend doctor who fan conventions, I now have little-to-no interest in attending a doctor who fan convention.

[That "look in the mirror" post from way back, except with the phrase "fan convention" stuck in there in the appropriate places]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm just kidding, Toxx. I can't even go to the novel-writing convention I used to go to anymore, because the number of pompous-voiced people who'd take up the literary agents' time during panels by asking extremely specific, long-winded questions about their obviously autobiographical first draft that they were pitching made me embarrassed to be alive. I can't imagine what a Doctor Who convention would be like.

I'd still go if there were one in Boston and I had the day off, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I picture a Doctor Who convention to have roughly the aroma of a Magic card release.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*rushing in, out of breath from my probation* Oh, my sainted aunt, that library shelf! The DVDs you want to select are-

Oh. Oh, I see... it's over.

Well, you made some excellent choices! Very excellent choices. I'm going to go sit in the corner and think about my choices to argue with a certain kind of person. I'm sure my recommendations wouldn't have been that important anyway. I wasn't eagerly awaiting the library screenshot or anything, haha.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

City of Death is a quote machine.

"You know, I think something very funny's going on. Do you remember that man that was following us? He's standing behind me, pointing a gun at my back."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eh. It looks a little too Supernatural for me, but whatever, small fish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This I like, and I agree that it looks like a Pink Floyd album.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Can we not loving do this

What's wrong with it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The jump in visual quality from RTD to Moffat (helped by the shift to HD plus Moffat blowing the entire loving budget) was pretty big, but so far everything done under Chibnal's watch has had an amazing stylized feel that I am absolutely loving.

I cannot wait to see how it comes across in an actual full episode.

Yeah, it's sort of got an art deco thing going on for it. It feels really optimistic, which is fitting for the show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who could never be Supernatural; Both Sam and Dean have died way more times than the Doctor. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's insane. I had no idea any of that was a thing. Writing conferences, the only premium items are lunch with agents and editors, or individual pitch sessions with agents and editors in which they read a portion of your manuscript and give feedback. Sometimes the bar is a cash bar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Scherzo for its hosed-up-ness is definitely a solid example of early Big Finish's creativity and why I wish Robert Shearman would get a chance to write some more Doctor Who.

He's been offered apparently and just hasn't had a script that he felt was ready :(

If Chibnall is doing the writer's room thing, which I think is an interesting experiment, it might not work for Shearman anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everything Philip Martin writes is weird and fetishy, although apparently Dick Sharples can give him a run for his money, now that I know what we almost got instead of The Krotons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tried to figure out what the hell is wrong with the guy who wrote Nekromanteia and now I'm even more confused. :stare:

"The rear end in a top hat Who Wrote Nekromanteia posted:

I also like comedy. I'm not saying that [Nekrmoanteia] is comedy - it isn't - but it hopefully has a bit of whimsy in it, which I think is typically Doctor Who.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress that story. gently caress it in the ear. Goddammit I wish I didn't remember it exists now.

Jesus Christ. Was this the story where Peter Davison told Big Finish he never wanted the writer to EVER work for them again?

I've only ever seen that posted in this thread, but it does get mentioned here, and he doesn't seem to have worked for Big Finish (in a writing capacity) since then. He looks like he's some kind of tech guru, so he may have been someone helping them with the sound engineering who walked in with a script one day.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Minuet isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but it's kind of like watching Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon. It tries so hard to accomplish something ludicrous, for reasons nobody understands, and falls flat on its face, repeatedly, in bizarrely elaborate ways, until you're somehow both laughing at it and rooting for it.

Minuet vs. Creed is like Manos: Hands of Fate with something more overtly disgusting like Sidehackers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

You forgot that the attempted rapist gets the happiest ending.

But enough about our government! :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish:

A) Elizabeth Sladen had lived a lot longer so that the show could have kept running for awhile
or, failing that:
B) that they could have found a way to pass the show over to Katy Manning that wouldn't have been disrespectful, and it could have continued to be "Doctor Who, but for babies" for awhile.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

You know what? Get Sophie Aldred on the phone and make a show where Ace blows things up with some kids.

The "How do we deal with bullies" episode in which Ace just beats one a bunch of bullies up with a baseball bat would be fun to watch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

This is preposterous! The lost the money for the armored truck a long time ago, and it's actually just a courier who empties his pockets so that moths fly out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

If it's from Moffat, there wouldn't be a note. Instead, when opening the truck, it would be empty but a recording of a creepy childrens' choir would play:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
Tick tock, and on this rhyme
I spent all the money

Don't take out your credit card. Don't log into your bank, don't even reach for your wallet. If you value your life, don't even look for that gift card your mother left in your Christmas stocking. They can sense it when a product nears a cash register. They feel an item going into an online cart like you or I can feel the wind on our faces on a warm day. And the second money exchanges hands, the instant you've made your purchase, you've bought them too. You've bought all of them. And you'll live to have buyer's remorse... for eternity.

• Locked thread