Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

Two dead Claras and a third alive one is already plenty impossible

No spoilers for "Clara and the Chronovore Conundrum!" :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rirse posted:

I'm going to visit the library today and look for the classic Doctor Who dvds they have there. Last time I visited they had ones from every doctor.

Take a picture of the shelves so we can argue about what you should watch!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

Correct, all Fourth Doctor stories are excellent.

ALL OF THEM

Lord Rhyno? Lord RHYYYYYNOOOOOO! 'Tis I, the Nimon DVD!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Doctor who was ruined forever by Verity Lambert, David Whitaker, and William Hartnell.

:colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

That list is woefully abbreviated.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pesky Splinter posted:

Excelis.

Short version, medieval-era Anthony Head meets with the fifth Doctor to find a container that contains all the souls of the dead of the planet (the planet/region's name being Excelis) - or where it goes after they die. Also Iris Wildthyme is there and Five gets very very grumpy at her. Hijinks ensue.

Spoilers Anthony Head becomes sort of semi-immortal for plot reasons, and meets up with Sixie hundreds of years later in a psuedo-Victorian age, where he can conjure up the spirits of the dead as a spiritualist medium. More hijinks.

I wasn't going to spoiler-tag, because it's basic "back of the box premise" stuff, but now I'll feel like a jerk if I don't.

What I found neat about "Excelis" was the idea of a person who has become immortal trying to get their head around the Doctor's body changes, and concluding that it must be a form of posession or body-hopping. Lot of early BF-roughness, though, and the central Macguffin the Handbag of Time... of DEATH! is distractingly silly, but appropriate for an Iris Wildthyme story, I guess.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

That J-Dalek looks so surprised. "Why are there flames around my rear end - THE gently caress?!?"

I'm assuming that's a Mechanoid, so it would be the same story where this happens:

Making that response entirely appropriate.

Also, I bet they made Bad Math(s) Dalek adorable. :3:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Replace my Genesis DVD?! Do I have the right? :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

I have always been consistent in who my favorite Doctor is, from when I started watching the series until today.

It's whichever one I've seen most recently.

I can't understand how you could be so mistaken.

It should be whichever one you're about to watch/listen to next. :eng101:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I'm less pissed about the Who stuff, than I am the GI Joe/Thor comments, and I didn't even see those movies. It just strikes me as very unprofessional and contemptuous of the audience.

I haven't heard much about GI Joe, but for Thor 2 he did a lot of work that ended up on the cutting room floor to make the movie more "efficient." I can see how that would rankle an Actor's Actor like him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's not that he can't talk poo poo about what he's worked on, but he should do so while swearing as classily as possible. Tom Baker set a precedent.

SYMPHONY!!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Here, just pop this in at the end of "Extremis," skip the next two episodes, and you're good!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Who will provide the theme song.

Fucker, now I'm going to have that stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Of course, I say this prayer and then I hear this voice* in my head saying "What does God need with a TARDIS?"

* - for some reason the voice of God in my head is Patrick Troughton. This does not surprise me in the least.

Okay, both the Star Trek and Doctor Who threads are talking about the specifics of Eccleston leaving and making "why does God need a starship" jokes. Come on, people, I have a hard enough time keeping track as it is!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Edward Mass posted:

I’ve never watched an episode of TNG on purpose.

Could have been posted in either thread, really.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've always said that the First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom means that every opinion has to be held by somebody, no matter how incomprehensible, and here's the proof.

I can't get my head around the concept of the Ace Era not being awesome. It just... falls out of my brain.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I regenerated my Hurt-atar too soon! :froggonk:

(But I did it to give Lowtax's spine some of that sweet Artron Regeneration Energy, so that makes up for it. A little.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

That would be... well, you know.

They need to brrrring back Rolly-R Cyberrrman. Make make him a companion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Grabbed, but the fact that its by Paul Magrs (the only person to write an audio I couldn't finish) doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks for the link, though!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I suppose, if anything, it ended up affecting Doctor Who more during those years they kept looking for Dalek substitutes.

And by making a large-scale "kill 'em all" send-off episode we'll (probably) never get to see. :negative:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Frobisher rules, actually

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Box of Bunnies posted:

Having the current logo on licenced releases has always been a thing :shrug:

It can be pretty trippy, too:

But really, the best tie-in logos are the "We Don't Give a poo poo" annuals:

Full :krad: collection here.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

You're not alive :argh:

It's too late, Trin, you can't mend people.

:byodood: You CAN'T mend PEOPLE! :derp:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

It occurs to me (and feels familiar enough that I suspect it's not an original observation) that Earthshock and Resurrection of the Daleks would both work better with the antagonists swapped; the sadistic Cybermen of Earthshock feel a lot more like Daleks, and the Daleks' motivations in Resurrection aren't all that far removed from WE MUST SURVIVE.

To fulfill my role as Davison Apologist, one thing I like about "Resurrection" is that it subtly addresses the "whoops, forgot the Daleks aren't robots" stuff in Destiny. By learning the biological origins of the Daleks, the Movellans were able to break the stalemate in a way that couldn't be equivalently countered. (The idea of a computer virus being virtually unknown - the term itself was coined the year the episode aired.)

Eric, I'll expect my check in six to eight weeks.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

"I'm unconscious now" was still a weird way to do it, though, like somehow it's more infuriating than when Frazer Hines got the chickenpox and some other guy plays him for awhile because the Doctor couldn't get his face right.

I can't get mad about that one anyway, because I love the implication that all humans look alike to the Doctor.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Edward Mass posted:

It's the Doctor's birthday today, and he's 2000!
That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!
*every character from every Doctor Who game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

A celebration that becomes a tragedy when Sil is asked to pass the Sodium Chlowide.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I know this was meant to be Colin but it also works for Tom

But he would say it at least four times with totally different tones and inflections, and each one would be absolutely right.

Then he'd ask K-9 if he thought he was a miserable pile of secrets. :3:

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Dangerouslytal/status/994892897848786944
Asking the real questions that need to be answered

Oh, Castellan Hootsworth was there the whole time, we just never saw Tom pull him out of his pocket onscreen.

BRB, emailing Big Finish.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

Frobisher workin the long con, I see

Stay out of my TXT files! :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

You and your freaky friends~!

I really can't believe how little McCoy I actually own.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
SPEAKING AS SOME-ONE WHO OWNS THE SAME MOD-EL IT IS PRETTY HARD TO STOOOOOP

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

If I had one of these, my wife would have murdered me for the life insurance a long time ago, and no one, including me, would have blamed her.

Telling Nick Briggs, while he signed it, that I had fried mine was one of the saddest moments of my life. The local shop... said they couldn't fix it! :negative:

I'd already had the mini version for a while, which he seemed unfamiliar with, and it's been a permanent part of my guitar rig. I should send the full-size one off to Moog to see if they can do anything with it... wonder if they'll understand the signature.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a very clever outfit

Sixth Doctor account spotted!

The Photoshops give us a consistent texture, though, like a single fabric that's been dyed, rather than the mult-fabric, multi-patterend madness of the original:

:magical:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And lest we lose sight of just how much plaid is going on there:

:swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Capaldi hamming it up as the Doctor hamming it up with "BIGGER ON THE INSIDE?! :psyboom:" is one of my favorite moments of his era.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Anyone else catching the theatrical edit of Genesis of the Daleks today?

I'm just going to run the Davros Filibuster on repeat. :rant:

(Actually, that's an emote that works for most of the series' villains.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Zero posted:

For some reason now I want a multi doctor story with all the Prime number Doctors.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Zero posted:

For some reason now I want a multi doctor story with all the Prime number Doctors.

I only just realized that this is exactly what "The Five Doctors" was... at least all the Prime Number Doctors up to that point.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To hell with favorites, what’s your least favorite TARDIS interior?

The "sure, this is the TARDIS why not" stuff in "Invasion of Time" always fucks with me, and the switch to film with terrible sound just makes it feel even more like a weird dream. The fact that I've only ever seen it as a PBS movie edit and am usually falling asleep by that point doesn't help either.

Even with the Pool Chairs. of Death! [CLONK]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

It sounds like an insult in the first place, is what makes that work so well.

"Oh, thanks for reminding us the meeting was supposed to be over five minutes ago, Time Lord."

420 Post "Web of Caves" Erryday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNgIJ38ad0&t=222s

Seriously, I can only hear that in David Williams' voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

I am entirely with you on that. There has never been a better season of Doctor Who in the history of the program than Pertwee's first Sylvester's last.

Top to bottom everything is either a stone cold classic or a hidden gem that no one talks about but super mega nerds.
:colbert:

Burkion posted:

I was just referring to classic SCIFI stuff, which was strongest in the black and white era.

One thing you only got in the black and white stories were logic puzzles that actually spent time working out the solution, like the Doctor figuring out the controls in "Tomb" or Vicki getting the automated system to grant her the power to bring the world revolution in "Space Museum."

• Locked thread