Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

Anything with Peter Davison on it usually has a great mix of insight and humour. You'll never see Turlough in the same light again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry folks, the bad McCoys are embarrassingly cringingly bad and if you can't see why the Controller of BBC One would look at Silver Nemesis or Delta and the Bannermen and think "you know, this show needs a few years off so people can forget that we put this badly-acted cheap embarrassing absolute toss on our main channel and invited them to watch it", you need your head looking at

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Correct, all Fourth Doctor stories are excellent.

ALL OF THEM

Underworld is absolute shite

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's not Bob Holmes's fault that JN-T was constitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone. Keeper of Traken is competent, but it's also one of many stories that you can quite comfortably cut half the running time from and it still works as a story and makes sense while losing nothing of value.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bought "Timelash." I expect it to be terrible.

Leave yourself enough mental energy to watch it with the Colin/Nicola/Darrow commentary; they know exactly what they're watching and they have fun with it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I assume that Phillip Hinchcliffe arrived about five seconds afterwards and said for the first time "let's terrify the little buggers to death"?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

2house2fly posted:

From reading his blogs he's a Moffat superfan and iirc described series 8 and 9 as a "golden age" of the show, with the Peter Harness episodes as his favourites. Hard bloke to pin down

Nah mate it's easy, he's a grandiloquent know-nothing twerp who thinks that talking for a really long time is a sign of intelligence

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Christopher Eccleston did an interview with the Observer, and gave some marginally-less-cryptic-than-before hints about what happened with the BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/mar/11/christopher-eccleston-macbeths-very-insecure-about-his-masculinity-i-am-most-men-are

quote:

When he left Doctor Who after the first series of the revived show, his decision was greeted with speculation and ultimately hostility, much of it exacerbated, says Eccleston, by the BBC’s mishandling of the situation.

“What happened around Doctor Who almost destroyed my career,” he says. “I gave them a hit show and I left with dignity and then they put me on a blacklist. I was carrying my own insecurities as it was something I had never done before and then I was abandoned, vilified in the tabloid press and blacklisted. I was told by my agent at the time: ‘The BBC regime is against you. You’re going to have to get out of the country and wait for regime change.’ So I went away to America and I kept on working because that’s what my parents instilled in me.

He'll be starring in Macbeth with the Royal Shakespeare Company from Tuesday.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

After The War posted:

I've always said that the First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom means that every opinion has to be held by somebody, no matter how incomprehensible, and here's the proof.

I can't get my head around the concept of the Ace Era not being awesome. It just... falls out of my brain.

When Doctor Who fandom was still small enough to have received wisdom, the received wisdom was that absolutely everything from the Trial onwards was embarrassing garbage and attempting to swim against that tide was the second-most surefire way to start a passionate and obnoxious flame war. Kids these days, never heard anyone call him "Sillybugger McCoy" and think they were being clever, you don't know you're born.

(This was also back in the day when one had flame wars.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

He's doing photos with a TARDIS, too. Maybe talking about it had made it easier for him to start engaging with the show again.

I have an alternative explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They call me Theta
Ka Faraq Gatri
They call me Doc
But, Sarah-Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a lot of stories where my opinion is "I like it a lot, but I'd totally understand if someone else couldn't get past the [THING]", and for some reason a lot of them are early-80s ones. Kinda's a great example with the Buddhist weirdness and Yet Another Crap Studio Jungle and that sodding rubber snake.

cargohills posted:

You'll probably like Caves of Androzani more if you weren't a fan of Kinda. Personally I loved Kinda and didn't get all the fuss about Caves.

You're not alive :argh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

docbeard posted:

Also the first half of Black Orchid was delightful, even if it was clearly just an excuse for Peter Davison to play some cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-5LAe_x_0&t=127s

No camera trickery required.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Finally, a chance to bring back the Shaka Doctor!

Would you say that this was made possible when the walls fell?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Since I don't think Season 26 has any Tardis interior scenes I'm just going to assume that's what they're flying around in from now on.

Battlefield has one, but it's done in front of a terrible-looking curtain because they either lost or damaged the TARDIS set. An excellent warning sign for what's about to come.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You and your freaky friends~!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God yes, forever. FOREVER.

Yes...but at the same time he'll never say anything as good as this ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=353s

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Now, just so we can establish the baseline, where do we all stand on Vengeance on Varos?

He doesn't push them in the acid bath

Sorry, reflex reaction. Great idea, lots of things dragging it down, but still perfectly watchable. Also has very probably the worst ever in a long and proud history of absolutely terrible laser gun visual effects.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

The best thing Chibnall could do is gently caress up the TARDIS so the Doctor can't control it again and has to try to get them home. Or they have to search for a Time Macguffin and can't stop to see mum.

Or you could have characters who neither need nor want to go home every five loving minutes to get a pint of milk. Like, if the TARDIS showed up outside your home this evening, is there really anyone in here who wouldn't just be "see ya, fuckers, I'll send a postcard from 49th-century Blackpool"?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

VNA isn't show canon AFAIK and I have no idea what happened in the audios so :shrug:

This is Doctor Who, there is no such thing as "canon", that princess is in another space castle.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The best year of Doctor Who in terms of sustained quality is clearly Pertwee's first year, fight me

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You hear that? That'ssss the sound of this forum, sssscreaming out its rage!!!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It is.

5 is also very strong, as is 26; 14 is comparable to 13.

I'd be extremely tempted by 26 if I could put Greatest Show in there and ideally just stuff Battlefield down the back of the sofa or something, I swear that the worst thing about the loss of received wisdom is all the young people and their freaky friends these days who seem to want to stick up for it

14 has a much stronger shout for me than 13, which is clearly let down badly by letting Terry Nation out without adult supervision The Android Invasion

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I don't know who Philip Madoc is. Could someone tell me some of his famous achievements?

Don't tell him, Pike

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Slightly disappointed they didn't go with Nine holding a cat during The Empty Child, but you do you, Doctor Who

This would be the same Doctor whose actor reveals just a few more juicy details about how badly he was treated at six-monthly intervals, right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

JN-T was well and truly into the "I have been persuaded to stay..." period by then, in which nobody else wanted to do his job, and if he left it would have meant cancellation, as in fact it did when his patience finally ran out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

What if every episode title began with "The Woman Who"

The WoWho for short

Doctor Who and the Woman Who

Wore Woolly Wellies

BWANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I would please like stories that are about something other than "the Doctor is clever" and "the companion is special" and "here is an explosion/piece of CGI which will look totally laughable in 15 years" and "something wants to take over/destroy/take over and then destroy the universe"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, I must be confusing my timelines here, if he was saying he didn't want to "downgrade" from movies to television in 1966; hadn't he already been Sherlock Holmes on television?

The first series, which he wasn't in, aired in 1965; they didn't get round to doing another one until 1968.

Burkion posted:

Sherlock Holmes is a huge loving deal, especially over there. Those specials were basically big prestige stuff.

They weren't specials, he did 16 50-minute episodes, and while the series was a major smash hit, it was also absolutely riddled with production incompetence, it was all done in a great rush without nearly enough time.

quote:

Whenever I see some of those stories they upset me terribly, because it wasn't Peter Cushing doing his best as Sherlock Holmes - it was Peter Cushing looking relieved that he had remembered what to say and said it!

Cushing only got the job because his predecessor Douglas Wilmer said he'd rather sweep Paddington station for a living than do another series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

C Bakes is like 5 feet across these days.

"Even more of me!!!"

• Locked thread