Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Whenever something about solar flares being blocked by trees in one episode counteract with lore, this guy appears (and yes he not Ian I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. The half season with Amy and Rory felt like the plot was just spinning in a circle until they left. If they were gone from the start then they could got Clara act moving a bit faster and had more room for the Great Intelligence.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While I haven't been minding Season 9 as much, man it seems to be disliked a lot going by the Jerusalem reviews.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That a good point. Hasn't really been any revival episode in the revival for me, even through been episodes that could been really good but they made some mistakes which made them forgettable at best. That said, did Season 9 need to have almost nothing but two parters?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

The Doctor will break all the laws of time to save Clara but not Donna or his goddamn wife and mother-in-law

Also, it's real bullshit that he got his memories of Clara back. Turns out all they had to do was agree she eventually had to die and then nobody needed to lose their memories, and she could have hung around with him forever :shrug:

He probably can't shake the idea of really losing her after she been showing up since the very day he left for adventure and would constantly show up in some form.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow Sleep No More wasn't very good. It a neat idea to do a found footage episode, but they kinda forget that is happening at times. And the ending is just "eh place blows up let just leave" with twice dead guy revealing he made the tape evil before melting.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished season nine, and yeah the final trilogy of episodes was really good. Next episode is Husbands of River Song, which I just noticed...did they take a entire year off since after it is a second Christmas episode.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got to give props to the original cybermen for killing two doctors on the same mission.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, I hit all the Jerusalem reviews for the 12th Doctor. Those were good and I hope you do the rest of season 10.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watched the "Monk Trilogy", which was a pretty get set of episodes, but the finale was a bit disappointing since it felt like a mixture of the finale with Master taking over the world and Martha being the one person left (Master even in this episode!) and the Silence second parter with them going after a foe who in control of all. Probably was hoping Missy would been a wild card that the Monks didn't count on in the simulation who defeated them since they are in her way instead of "love conquerors all" ending.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

This is probably the most positive review I've read of the third monk episode

I never saw the thread when the episode first aired so I had no clue what opinion was. The setup for the Monks in part 1 and 2 were neat, but they felt like lesser Silence in the end. Man the Silence were pretty creepy villains which surprised they didn't get overused. They and their leader are still alive too since she only died in the alt reality too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

GenCon is the smelliest con I have ever attended. I get flashbacks to the smells every time the con rolls around.

I only been there once when I volunteered to work one of the comic shops that was there. Wasn't a bad job and I got paid for doing nothing. Think the only thing I really remember from it was the really cute Terra from FFVI cosplayer.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, I ran out of episodes of Doctor Who to watch from the revival after starting it shortly after watching Twice Upon a Time and ending with the same episode tonight. Still want to try to watch some classic Doctor Who, I might wait a while before I do that. In the meantime, time to play the waiting game for the new season.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to visit the library today and look for the classic Doctor Who dvds they have there. Last time I visited they had ones from every doctor.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here you go.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I grabbed all the 1 - 3 doctor dvds there along with that "The Doctors Revisited" set that has Aztecs, Tomb of the Cyberman, Spearheads from Space, and Pyramids of Mars on it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Zero posted:

Next time get Keeper of Traken and Logopolis.

Logopolis is one of my favorite episodes because the Master very nearly accidentally destroys the universe solely because he’s being a dick to the Doctor.

And Keeper sets it up.

Also get The Doris Day Show because I’ve never seen that before. Is that a Pertwee episode?

I would grabbed Logopolis, but that is the END of the Tom Baker episodes. I don't want to skip to the last chapter of a good book.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I like it. And much as I like the Tardis, I always hated it being in the logo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Zero posted:

Agree. Just the red was okay but I agree it looked too Diablo/Supernatural. This is simple and elegant with a dash of whimsy.

Hope the season doesn't end with the Doctor shoving the soul stone containing the Master into her forehead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bet the old thread had a field day with the burping trash can that ate Mickey.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

I still absolutely adore that scene in End of the World where the Doctor momentarily leaves Rose alone, and she's looking around at all the aliens surrounding her and the sudden reality of the crazy life she is now living comes crashing in on her.

And doesn't the next scene just taking in the fact that everyone she knows has been long dead and the planet she grew up on is about to be destroyed?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ha, I restarted Xenoblade to finish it and forgot that one of your party members is voiced by Jenna Coleman. And go figure, her character is a hybrid!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So is he actually dead or he just can't be retrieved from the spaceship due to the black hole?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the Monks should returned later on at the end of a season, finally showing their big plan at least instead of 'oh they here because their secret is known now". At least part 2 was pretty good at most parts, part 3 I already mentioned when I first watched it just feeling like a retrend of several episodes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I didn't like Land of the Lie very much. Like I said a few weeks ago when I watched it for the first time, it felt like they put "Last of the Timelords" and "Day of the Moon" in a blender and came out as this poo poo. The former even had the Maser in it as well!

I wish if they actually bothered to deal with the "they have a simulation of all our moves" that Missy being in the vault was a wildcard who they didn't predict and she defeats them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

I suspect that Jenny is a mildly better character for a spin-off because yeah, she's a blank slate, and if she gets a good writer, she can keep going on with adventures and maybe even regenerate.

I think, though, that Lady Christina was awfully written only because she was a bunch of tropes shoved into an episode that wasn't exactly great to begin with, and I suspect an attempt to redeem the character would be more getting a writer who won't waste Michelle Ryan as an actor.

Big Finish will adapt anything, though, so it's possible the whole thing will just be leering at the wealthy jewel thief in her flying bus.

Maybe there will be a twist and she becomes a school teacher.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That should be fun, but going to avoid the pre-stream stuff like the plague.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

12's "Hello Sweetie" really is an absolutely fantastic moment.

I keep meaning to write up the last couple of episodes from Capaldi's run but can't quite work up the energy to do it, partly because The Doctor Falls is such a mixed bag but mostly because once I've written them up, that's it, the Capaldi era really is over for me :sigh:

Plus nothing more to write about until 13, whenever that is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay how is the new season of Doctor Who up for pre-order when it not even started airing yet? Are we in a Space Balls situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Never did get around to it earlier in the year, but I want to at least watch the first Doctor before 13 is up whenever. My main library has the dvds for most of season 1 - 4, but it missing the Dalek episode that is the second serial. Shame, but I do have the Rifftrax that mocked the bad movie remake of it so I can still see it in a way.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here all the episodes I got at the library. Two had to be put up due to hitting the limit, but those are from season 4 and getting sent to the local library (was downtown) so it not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TL posted:

I love Voyage of the Damned, fight me.

It was enjoyable, with Max being a fun villain for the episode. Do like how his big plan in the episode to crash the ship into the Earth was suppose to cause a extinction event, but in the later Donna episode it only destroys London.

• Locked thread