Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you get a house in this game? I want a nicer place than the mill

There's a quest chain in Talmberg that can end with you becoming Divish's master huntsman and getting the hunting lodge as your house. It's kind of a lame place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo raiding runts fortress, I thought I had a good drop on a guard, nocked an arrow, and aimed. Shot right into the fuckers halberd. I just sat there for a second trying to figure out what happened

Woulda been nice for radzig to acknowledge me having killed every single person in camp. I'm sure they'll all be respawned and grunt will show up out of the locked church when I return though.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 12, 2021

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Another new to this peasant simulator arriving with questions:

Can I wander off and do whatever for a while now that I've reached Ginger in a Pickle without worrying about messing up quests?

For A Woman's Lot, do you keep any of the money/items from Theresa, or is it a set reward at the end?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

WebDO posted:

Can I wander off and do whatever for a while now that I've reached Ginger in a Pickle without worrying about messing up quests?

For A Woman's Lot, do you keep any of the money/items from Theresa, or is it a set reward at the end?

I think gringer in a pickle is timed at one point. When your told to search for something at the end, its timed and can change the outcome.

Woman's lot, Theresa's part is just a small intro into it. I guess the reward is the dog, but I think she gives you that before you see her story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That dog man, I tried I really tried, but that thing is loving worthless. So many times trying to pick a chest, grab an herb, or loot a body and this stupid rear end dog moseys over looking for food. Then you get into combat and the fucker is constantly getting under my feet and getting me hit cause I can't move around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The dog does make fighting 2-3 enemies alot more managing because he goes and bites one on the rear end so Henry can hit his friends.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WebDO posted:

Finish Ginger in a Pickle, it’s one of the few time-sensitive quests. Pro-est tip is to learn to read before the quest takes you to Uhzhitz.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Doing tasks for the patients in the hospital at the abbey has a time limit before patients die, although it's a fairly long one. You might want to at least get your hunting skills up before starting it, because buying that much meat from a merchant is going to cost a lot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Doing tasks for the patients in the hospital at the abbey has a time limit before patients die, although it's a fairly long one. You might want to at least get your hunting skills up before starting it, because buying that much meat from a merchant is going to cost a lot.

I absolutely let a man die I got the potion or whatever I needed from the runaway priest, but I took a detour to talmberg to rendezvous with lady Stephanie, at least Henry got laid.

You don't even need a high hunting skill though. I just shot three of the pigs on the farm besides Rattay

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ginger in a Pickle is not timed, y'all are thinking of On The Scent.

Wiki has a list of the timed quests (which can be viewed without spoiler risks): https://kingdom-come-deliverance.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Timed_Quests

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ok. Bought this because it seemed fairly highly reviewed any holy hell am I put off by the start.

You get into unarmed combat against this graverobber guy who just takes for-loving-ever to go down and any time you get near him there's some ungodly slow animation where he kicks you in the balls. I know Henry is meant to suck or whatever but it just takes forever and you can throw like a single punch at a time before you get exhausted. So what am I missing about this supposedly decent combat system because so far its somehow slow, frustrating, and unfun all at once.

e: Ok, I intimidated him instead the second time around and he ran but...gently caress, that was still an annoying fight.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Basically you're still in the tutorial and unless you spent 12 hours picking flowers Henry has all the hitting power of an infant.

The clinch animations do break up the combat though, get used to that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

Ok. Bought this because it seemed fairly highly reviewed any holy hell am I put off by the start.

You get into unarmed combat against this graverobber guy who just takes for-loving-ever to go down and any time you get near him there's some ungodly slow animation where he kicks you in the balls. I know Henry is meant to suck or whatever but it just takes forever and you can throw like a single punch at a time before you get exhausted. So what am I missing about this supposedly decent combat system because so far its somehow slow, frustrating, and unfun all at once.

e: Ok, I intimidated him instead the second time around and he ran but...gently caress, that was still an annoying fight.

This is all correct. You start off as a illiterate blacksmith's son. I think this video explains the progression system of Kingdom Come the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evCtzMqNJiU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

This is all correct. You start off as a illiterate blacksmith's son. I think this video explains the progression system of Kingdom Come the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evCtzMqNJiU

Yeah sure but I'd hope a blacksmith's son could do more than punch twice before gasping for breath and beat someone in a fistfight faster than 20 punches. Goddamn.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I kinda sorta maybe feel like re-installing and playing this but some of the mods I used seem to have vanished off nexus. It looks like the guy that posted them took them all down because of some nexus policy or whatever. They were updated versions of various mods that were outdated (mostly armour mods).

Long shot I know, but would anyone happen to still have any of the WileCoyote68 mods still on their computer?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah sure but I'd hope a blacksmith's son could do more than punch twice before gasping for breath and beat someone in a fistfight faster than 20 punches. Goddamn.

Theresa starts with more strength than Henry. Dude is a total failson

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, Henry is just some sheltered yokel with an onion tied to his belt who's never been in a fight or probably even touched a boob.

Theresa is a real one, though. :hai:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

To the other new guy, stick with it. My Henry's story so far:

Completed some Miller/Vagabond quests and learned to redistribute wealth to Skalitz refugees and pay off a certain pair of debts.

Completed some work for Sir Radzig at a nearby farm.

Went on a treasure hunt west of Rattay and learned you could choke out an entire bandit camp one by one; that the trail of corpses can break a bandit's morale and lead you on a high speed chase into the woods; and that if you don't have your sword out when you go to execute a knocked out bandit you'll do some Czechoslovakian History X poo poo.

And on the trail of another bandit camp learned that a good pair of metal gauntlets and some balls was enough for a bandit leader to almost punch me to death after I killed or scattered his entire troop.

Game is good.

E: also learned Theresa has balls the size of Henry's entire body and she could actually rack up a wild number of kills during that one event.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Those slow-mo sections and the instant grab animations are really annoying. Is there like a perk to get rid of them or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I really think the sequel would be improved by using just high and low attacks like Zelda II. For as cool of an idea as the five directional combat is. It just doesn't work all that well, and can look pretty awkward. Most of my combat now is just partying the hell out of everyone instead of engaging with directionality or the feint system

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DaysBefore posted:

Those slow-mo sections and the instant grab animations are really annoying. Is there like a perk to get rid of them or something?

The grabs are you getting outstated/outskilled by opponents. Later on it will almost never happen to you outside the tourny and you'll be doing it to all the enemies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The 40% extra chance to win a clinch perk basically turned clinches from automatic losses to automatic wins for me.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

There is a mod for removing of slow-mo effect and another I think that can remove master strikes, but it doesn't make combat much better (but no slow-mo rules). There is also at least one mod that makes you match direction to get master strike and perfect block, but AI doesn't know it should do it, and combat becomes completely unmanageable with more than one enemy

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Combat in thjis game is absurdly simple and complicated. Against 90% of foes it will be out damagiong them before they can even attack. Then you get the swordsmen who basically block loving everything and you have to wear them down and it takes forever and if you get stuck alone with multiple you are hosed.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Axe-man posted:

Combat in thjis game is absurdly simple and complicated. Against 90% of foes it will be out damagiong them before they can even attack. Then you get the swordsmen who basically block loving everything and you have to wear them down and it takes forever and if you get stuck alone with multiple you are hosed.

That's when you've gotta learn to fight like a dirty rat. Get yourself a Baillifs Mace, to clunk some heads together. If the odds are overwhelming, people go to sleep at some point, get a dagger, train your stealth till you can stealth kill (I like to do this by choking out people out wayfarers wandering between towns.), brewing some point nighthawk potions can be handy for this as well, then find the biggest most heavily armored dude and stick him in the neck either while he's asleep or while he's otherwise unawares.

So often you can just charge at a bandit quickly duck behind him and shank him before he's had time to think about what's happened. Then call your horse and ride away before the remaining bandits get you (strong thighs perk is a must)

Poisoning people is also a thing too, although I've never properly tried it, I should one day.

I really should finish this game at some point I always get to certain point and then never do.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Melee combat is excellent as long as you’re using a sword (with a high level in blades and having memorized some combos and having enough stamina and armor) while fighting in a duel. It becomes frustrating when fighting two people because you’re fighting the lock-on system more than the baddies, and impossible against three or more unless you have backup, a bow, or a blunt weapon and the perk that gives you a chance of instantly knocking out any enemy if you bonk their head.

“Fighting dirty” assumes you’re the one choosing the battle, when you’re just as often ambushed by enemies especially before you get the perks or skills or whatever they are to avoid ambushes. Stealth or poison requires actually having a stealth skill, outfit, the ability to brew poison, and actually finding a bandit camp to use all these assorted skills on. Using blunt weapons feels more like breaking the combat system, and archery has an awful skill curve where you spend hours not hitting the broadside of a barn to suddenly becoming William Tell.

Also, it makes no sense to say that Henry gets exhausted in 5 seconds while getting his rear end handed to him by a drunk because he’s a peasant: he’s clearly spent some time training with the mercenary at the start (enough to be capable of learning swordplay later on, which would realistically impossible if he knew nothing about it) and he’s the son of a blacksmith, which isn’t exactly a walk in the meadow.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Or if you're like me and found the combat kinda fiddly and tedious get the mod that let's you pick up and sheath poleaxes.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I actually got worse with bow with higher skill. I probably bankrupted Ledetchko by winning all their groshen in chumps on the river, and now with the bow zoom I can't aim for poo poo because the arrow is going always to the left from where it aims. I also rarely hit enemy up close, I guess the arrow doesn't leave from where it is, but from camera or something?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Going to need to figure out getting a new horse, came across a group of bandits and cumans fighting who had enough loot to overburden both Henry and Pebbles.

Then I found all the dead traders over whom I guess they were fighting.

:staredog:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

WebDO posted:

Going to need to figure out getting a new horse, came across a group of bandits and cumans fighting who had enough loot to overburden both Henry and Pebbles.

The stables outside of Rattay have a some nice horses. :black101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

WebDO posted:

Yeahhh that happens a lot, there's one particular spot in the woods north of Talmberg where it happens basically constantly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I spent over 100 hours playing this game and completed every quest and all the dlc, I never once learned how to do combo moves. I just could never pull them off.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Tenzarin posted:

I spent over 100 hours playing this game and completed every quest and all the dlc, I never once learned how to do combo moves. I just could never pull them off.

Unless your game is super broken or modded, you attack with the first direction, while attack is playing out you switch to next direction, then click just as your attacks connects. You also need to have perk for your current weapon (for longsword without shield or torch). Then pray to RNG gods that you don't get perfect blocked or your enemy staggers out of reach or dies before combo is done.

I never landed any 4 hit combo (or maybe once), and I also only landed that lower left stab stab once and never managed that one again. But the one Bernard gives you while training combos and stab-left-lowerright are super easy for me to pull off, and basically only ones I use

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried numerous times over the entire game, and alot of the issues you pointed out above usually happened. Just never was able to pull off any combo in the game. The fighting was still fun though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have an abysmal time trying to pull off any of the combos because usually before I can finish the sequence the opponent either parries or gets pushed far enough back from the strikes that I can't land the complete sequence. Way easier to just switch to maces ASAP and master strike/head bash to victory.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The supposedly awesome and realistic combat system just never really got me hooked. It all falls apart when a peasant uses bare hands to block your sword swing.

Then I finally slip a blow in and slice him with a sword, but he is no worse for wear, running off in an instant.

I just wish there’d be a mod of ”make combat deadly.”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The combo system is really interesting (i.e. unintuitive and not very fun) because it actually relies on HEMA to work: you not only need the correct perk to perform the combo, but your opponent has to be :airquote: receptive :airquote: to the attack.

In other words, if the perk says "With a rapid Zornhau from the Ox stance, parry the opponent's strike to the side from your left shoulder and thrust the point straight to his chest" then the perk won't just fire if you go slash-slash-stab, but you also have to do the correct directional attacks while your opponent is attacking.

Anyways, masterstrokes are much easier and more effective. :shrug:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's the big question, how many murders on the road have you walked up to and then been called a murderer? My henry found so many dead people on the road that it was just better to keep moving than stopping all the time for that random event.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tenzarin posted:

Here's the big question, how many murders on the road have you walked up to and then been called a murderer? My henry found so many dead people on the road that it was just better to keep moving than stopping all the time for that random event.

It's kind of funny the first few times to look for corpsefood and have some yokel come up and be like "you're with a dead body, you murdered them!" and have a high charisma Henry say "no I didn't," which the person just accepts. Then you turn it around and be like "confess: you killed them!" and the person admits it and walks themselves to the bailiff...
:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Total stealth clear of the cuman camp: 0

Deaths due to Mutt blocking the path to a stealth kill: 12