Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All the starters this generation were pretty solid, in my opinion. Torchic's hard to replace, though, while IIRC this is where Barboach/Whishcash first appeared and they can do Mudkip's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Like ziggy, taillow seems to just be the Generic Starting Bird.

I don't care for Ralts, either. It's a perfectly fine psychic type that does nothing interesting with type, stats, or moves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, was hoping this LP would use some of the lesser used critters.

Oh well. Hi, Skitty, this generation's Jigglypuff. Cutesy normal type with bad stats, a horrendous level-up movepool, and mind boggling TM compatibility seems to be a recurring archetype in these games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haifisch posted:

That's basically Gamefreak's modus operandi with the rock type, too. Most of them are statted as slow and defensive, when the Rock type has a shitload of weaknesses & generally does better when statted as a fast glass cannon.

Of course they're going for what stats logically feel right(rocks are slow and tough) instead of what actually works well with the type, but still.

The first time I ever beat RBY, I did so with an Onix on my team that I blew loads of TMs on.

Then again, my winning team that game included a Butterfree I'd used the Psychic TM on and a Blastoise with surf, hydro pump, bubblebeam, and ice beam. I was not a smart kid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Psychic on Butterfree isn't terrible, though it's not the ideal Pokemon to have it prior to Gen V.

Then again, I think most things that want Psychic can learn it via level-up, unless Gen I was dumb about that.

Blastoise, Butterfree, Onix, Raichu, Persian, Flareon.

Mistakes were made.

IIRC, Persian was actually far and away the most reliable performer of that group and soloed Sabrina. STAB Slash in RBY backed by the RBY crit formula on a critter as fast as Persian made for a surprisingly solid critter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can overlook most of those but...Flareon?

I was in middle school and thought Flareon looked adorably fluffy and cute, okay?

I don't remember what I even gave the stupid thing. Persian had slash and payday, Blastoise had ice beam and all the water moves, Butterfree had psychic and status effects, Raichu had thunderbolt and thunder wave, Onix had earthquake and maybe rock slide, but Flareon? I think he had fire blast, maybe?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

And then they made steel into one of the most powerful defensive types and least resisted attack type.

And then lucario happened.

Only steel type I've ever used much is Skarmory. Drill Peck and Steel Wing, what else do you need? One was on my first successful GSC team.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry. Another one of those critters with good stats, interesting typing, and a godawful movepool. And completely overshadowed by Cacnea/Cacturne later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solumin posted:

Let's get a sick FFIV reference in there with Calcabrina, or, if that's too long, Calbrena. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTabPCoee4

Seconded. Ran into that thing's FF14 incarnation recently and it creeped me the gently caress out.

• Locked thread