Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I remember people being real angry about Fire Red and Leaf Green being ways to get people to pay Nintendo more money just to catch 'em all (because those were gen 3 compatible).

It turns out to have been true, sorta...

The virtual console allows you to extract pokemon from the virtual console versions of Gen 1 and send them to modern games, showing that with enough effort, Nintendo could've found a way to make Gen 1/2 compatible with Gen 3 back then. But they didn't. They remade the games instead.

But it's a bit too long ago to still be pissed about that.
It wasn't any less silly at the time. Even if they solved the technical challenge of getting a Game Boy game plugged into a GBA plugged into a Gamecube to talk to a Gamecube game to talk to a GBA game, you'd still have to buy a Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum or whatever game they put that feature in, and people would have just been pissed off about that instead.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Did you know that the Red Cross emblem is one of the most highly-protected symbols in the world, and its misuse constitutes a violation of the Geneva Conventions?

HKnBCqBKsTnRBVj

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In Australian English, slot machines are called "pokies". I always thought it was sad that nobody else got to have that pun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Surprisingly, in retrospect, I did have someone to play with in primary school in gen 3. She was a much better and more serious player than me, but who's the one still talking about it on the internet 15 years later, huh?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

This natural environment is doing wonders for WALLY's health. Maybe it's not just the environment. It could be POKEMON that are giving the boy hope.
"The kid's idiot parents told him wi-fi could make you sick, and now he gets a headache every time he thinks there's an electromagnetic field around."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Fuckin' Bill. Just leave your program with a bunch of limitations and a lovely text-only UI and leave it up to someone else to do all the work of making it into something that's actually usable. Typical programmer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

mateo360 posted:

The whole meteorite thing is even funnier in Sapphire where it's all Team Aqua so hey why don't we take this meteorite and make this volcano erupt so it can somehow help us with making more sea?
Clearly the volcanic ash will create a greenhouse effect, and the corresponding increase in global warming will hasten the melting of the ice caps, causing sea levels to rise by several additional centimetres over the coming decades.

Archie's playing the long game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unless someone actually took a look at the entire code and found the bug in question, there's always room for doubt. (Painfully speaking from experience here.)
the battle tower AI definitely cheats, though, right :rolleyes:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Explopyro posted:

According to Bulbapedia they're different words in Japanese, to the extent their information is trustworthy. The "bitter" that corresponds to the Smart contest stat might be more accurately translated as "astringent", I think.
I can't find where they claim that, but if they do, they're wrong. If you trust the item descriptions on the Japanese wiki to be a faithful verbatim transcription, which I do, it's the same word in both places.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 4, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Explopyro posted:

Hah, yes, probably. I'm not sure that would've necessarily been an improvement, though, they've tended to get very hamfisted about that sort of thing to the point it makes all the characters look like idiots. (Then again, Emerald's also pretty good at making characters look like idiots... idiots in a different way, I suppose.) There must be some kind of happy medium, though thinking about it I'm sure this kind of writing problem isn't exclusive to Pokemon game.
Players don't read text. Even in big, serious hardcore strategy games, players don't read text. Even when they do, they don't internalise it unless it's information they have to immediately act on. And then sometimes they take a weeks- or months-long break in the middle of your 50-hour RPG, and forget everything you told them. So if there's something in the story that you want to make absolutely sure every single player understands, repetition is really important, especially if you're thinking about accessibility and some of your players might not be able to read the text very well, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
a real-time-dependent bug that can't possibly manifest until a year after you launch :shepface:

• Locked thread